Televised Professional Golf......no longer relevant?

MelloYello

4 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Wouldn't that depend on how you define relevancy? 

If men's golf on TV is merely a form of entertainment, then relevancy would be measured at least in part by popularity.

Clearly the popularity is dropping among those in this thread. 

Ask the OP how he defined relevancy for this thread.  

TV is measured by viewership not popularity.  

People watch unpopular things all the time.  

21 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

You may not like this statement though. 😂  Yeah, the PGA tour is not going anywhere, but I'm pretty sure Monahan and the PGA executives do not want to make the PGA into more a world tour like the LPGA because of the logistics of running tournaments abroad and player travel. So, the world market is where LIV is really looking and wanting to push towards. 

They don't like it and the people who run the production absolutely hate it.  While some don't like the cookie cutter feel to events, it makes things infinitely easier to run/host/produce when they are.

I played a round with a couple GC personalities and a producer one year when they were in town to cover an LPGA event in Ontario.  Because it was being played at a different event than the previous year, a crew had to come out months in advance to scout the location and try and figure out where to set everything up.  Not to mention bookings in a new place for over 50 staff alone coming up.

A Revolving Door

Golf as a sport is in trouble again after a brief bubble resurgence during Covid.  It spiked during Covid because many were looking for something to do to stay active and golf was open and outdoors. But now that everything is open again the interest has declined for this time-consuming and difficult game.

There are many other factors working against golf right now like:

1) it has gotten just ridiculously expensive. $300 dollar putters dominate the golf store now. Drivers pushing $500. Two piece balls that used to be $12/dz are now $22. Round prices have increased 20% by me as well. Even the driving ranges one could spend $30 just to hit 100 balls off mats.

2) the older generation of golfers are aging out and not enough younger kids taking the spots. It is considered a boring and old sport. Mention golf to any current teenager and you get blank looks on their faces.

3) Pickleball is the new golf. It is taking off. I was at PGA SS in Chicago suburb on black Friday and the store was so DEAD. But to my amazement I saw a Pickleball section in a GOLF store!

4) Basically, equipment technology has been allowed to progress way too much and still doing so. "Bomb and Gouge" was threatening golf on TV for a while now and could have been slowed or stopped if PGA stepped in. We will never ever at this point go back to the essence of what made golf - shotmaking and risk/reward tradeoffs. The current generation tour has all grown up on this tech and it is on display on TV now. Someone mentioned in this thread that Tiger was the last of the old school work the ball players and one of reasons he was so exciting to watch (Bubba is the same but not even remotely close to talent, Phil too but he left for LIV so eff him). I'm afraid it won't get better unfortunately. The next pool of talent who are just turning teens now is also using even newer tech and so on. If PGA would scale back the ball and driver tech 10 years I would start to watch again.  

5) the well known fracture of professional golf into two leagues (bickering, lawsuits, players perusing insane but controversial money) is a huge part of why I don't even tune in anymore. I don't want to watch watered down PGA anymore, so that has been devastating along with the greed displayed by many I was a fan of before. Tiger pretty much non-competitive anymore is the other part. I used to look forward to watching any event I could that had Tiger in it or even ones he wasn't but most of the Top 20 were. I'd record and watch full rounds of maybe 6-10 events a year plus all the Major's, all four days of each tournament as well. The pool of dry personality "Steady Eddies" boringly bombing it 320 and wedging to green with straight tracers has just worn me out by now. No one on tour right now interest me at all as the once in generation player everyone is chasing is gone. Rory is close and I've always been a fan, but he still just is boring and too casual for some reason.

• Like 1

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

2 hours ago, borker said:

Golf as a sport is in trouble again after a brief bubble resurgence during Covid.  It spiked during Covid because many were looking for something to do to stay active and golf was open and outdoors. But now that everything is open again the interest has declined for this time-consuming and difficult game.

The COVID boom is still alive and well in SoCal. Finding a tee time on the weekend sucks. I see more women (and not just blue hairs) and more kids/teens/young adults than ever before.

2) the older generation of golfers are aging out and not enough younger kids taking the spots. It is considered a boring and old sport. Mention golf to any current teenager and you get blank looks on their faces.

After years of decline I think golf is finally growing with younger kids. Golf content on Youtube, Instagram, and TikTok is exploding. Kids don't watch the PGAT, they watch Good Good. Additionally, every Top Golf I've been to is packed with kids and young adults. 

Someone mentioned in this thread that Tiger was the last of the old school work the ball players and one of reasons he was so exciting to watch (Bubba is the same but not even remotely close to talent, Phil too but he left for LIV so eff him). I'm afraid it won't get better unfortunately.

Tiger had every shot in the bag but he practically invented bomb and gauge. He was longer than nearly everyone and wild off the tee. Didn't stop him from tearing up courses from the rough. Do you not remember "Tiger proofing"? Further, there are plenty of players who still work the ball (JT is a freaking wizard) or have insane short game creativity (Did you watch Cam Smith win The Open?). The game hasn't really changed that much. Jack Nicklaus waxed everybody by driving it past them and hitting the same butter cut into every damn green. He was basically an ultra consistent Dustin Johnson or Brooks Koepka. 

The pool of dry personality "Steady Eddies" boringly bombing it 320 and wedging to green with straight tracers has just worn me out by now. No one on tour right now interest me at all as the once in generation player everyone is chasing is gone. Rory is close and I've always been a fan, but he still just is boring and too casual for some reason.

Drier than Davis Love III? Paul Azinger? Retief Goosen? Vijay Singh? I grew up in the Tiger era but I'm having a really hard time remembering these charismatic, shot shaping savants. Perhaps you just like Tiger more than you like golf? Nothing wrong with that I suppose, we all need a reason to tune in.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Drier than Davis Love III? Paul Azinger? Retief Goosen? Vijay Singh? 

You nailed. Golf in the 80's and early 90's was BORING. It was constantly said no one could ever dominate again because they were all so good. Then in April 1997...

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The mission of television is to make a profit by sell advertising, not provide high quality programming.

The golf demographic is one of the wealthiest. Produce it as cheaply as you can get away and sell advertising at a high rate.

There are enough people watching and enough advertisers to pay a premium rate to reach them.

It is a risk-adverse business.

”Ask your doctor about…”

• Like 2

capitalization eliminated as a cost reduction

3 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

They don't like it and the people who run the production absolutely hate it.  While some don't like the cookie cutter feel to events, it makes things infinitely easier to run/host/produce when they are.

I played a round with a couple GC personalities and a producer one year when they were in town to cover an LPGA event in Ontario.  Because it was being played at a different event than the previous year, a crew had to come out months in advance to scout the location and try and figure out where to set everything up.  Not to mention bookings in a new place for over 50 staff alone coming up.

This is where LIV has a competitive edge in all of Asia. LIV dumped 300 million into the Asian Tour. Because they are working with several Asian Tours (Asian tour, Japan tour, etc), those tours already have the tournament production crews dialed, so it is likely LIV is willing and has ability to run tournaments abroad easier. I'm sure PGA tour does too, but not as comprehensive. Also again, I don't think PGA has their sights on a world tour that has a big chunk of their tournaments abroad. They are fine just hosting tournaments in the US. 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

The mission of television is to make a profit by sell advertising, not provide high quality programming.

The golf demographic is one of the wealthiest. Produce it as cheaply as you can get away and sell advertising at a high rate.

There are enough people watching and enough advertisers to pay a premium rate to reach them.

It is a risk-adverse business.

”Ask your doctor about…”

I very much agree with your 1st sentence. This is why sitcoms and dramas have been replaced by reality tv and talent shows. It's far cheaper to produce The Bachler or Survivor than pay Jennifer Anniston a couple million per episode. However, live sports isn't cheap. Broadcast rights are crazy expensive and Jim Nantz makes bank. You're also footing the bill to bring your traveling circus to 30+40 different locations for a week at a time, not hanging at the same studio in Burbank or 30 Rock. 

It's still worth it because live sports is one of the last/only valuable advertising space. Everything else can be digitally recorded or streamed with all commercials skipped. If Gen Z is really less interested in sports or even just less likely to watch them live, broadcast TV is in for a rough future.  

1 hour ago, tacklingdummy said:

This is where LIV has a competitive edge in all of Asia. LIV dumped 300 million into the Asian Tour. Because they are working with several Asian Tours (Asian tour, Japan tour, etc), those tours already have the tournament production crews dialed, so it is likely LIV is willing and has ability to run tournaments abroad easier. I'm sure PGA tour does too, but not as comprehensive. Also again, I don't think PGA has their sights on a world tour that has a big chunk of their tournaments abroad. They are fine just hosting tournaments in the US. 

From the Japan Tour's statement at the beginning of Oct, it definitely sounds like they are more aligned with the PGA Tour. Er the statement "...we believe that JGTO needs to create a clear path to the PGA Tour/DP World Tour..."

https://www.golfmagic.com/liv-golf/japan-golf-tour-releases-statement-about-liv-golf-invitational-series

LIV has the Asian Tour and MENA affiliation for sure, but without Japan and Korea they are out of the two biggest markets in the region.

40 minutes ago, billyspan said:

From the Japan Tour's statement at the beginning of Oct, it definitely sounds like they are more aligned with the PGA Tour. Er the statement "...we believe that JGTO needs to create a clear path to the PGA Tour/DP World Tour..."

https://www.golfmagic.com/liv-golf/japan-golf-tour-releases-statement-about-liv-golf-invitational-series

LIV has the Asian Tour and MENA affiliation for sure, but without Japan and Korea they are out of the two biggest markets in the region.

Don’t be bringing facts into this discussion. Just throw s**t against the wall and see what sticks, like everybody else.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billyspan said:

I'm not fond of all the fragmentation. It just dilutes and separates the world's best players for both TV and tournaments. It is like cable and streaming TV. You have to sign up with multiple TV or streaming providers to configure all the TV programming you want. 🤪Too difficult to watch, so just don't watch much golf anymore,  but that could be a good thing too. 😂

20 hours ago, Ferguson said:

image.png.d38fc96bd71e0c2be7b358355f9e56b1.png

You stated two main reasons for TV golf's lack of relevancy.   

I asked how you delineate both items.     

1. How exactly does horrible coverage make televised golf less relevant?   The coverage is a mechanism for viewers and doesn't impact the outcome.  The viewer can take what the viewer wants to take from the coverage.  It's always been that way.  Never in time has sports coverage, golf or otherwise, been stellar.   

2. Are you saying TV golf lacks relevancy because an entire generation of golf fans think a tournament without Tiger doesn't count? 

If you don't like Tiger, that's fine - just don't attempt to characterize a group of people you don't know and blame it on the media.  Too much of that happening right now.   

It was a joke, but since you asked, I will explain further.

1) The golf on television isn’t very good in my opinion, and I assume many others since there is a thread on it here weekly, and ratings are down.

2) Yes, that’s exactly what I am saying, and I think the media is a big part of that.  When you show him constantly, no matter where he is in relation to he lead, people, especially more casual fans, are led to believe that he if he isn’t there, the tournament is less important.  

My like or or dislike of him has nothing to do with that opinion.

6 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

I'm not fond of all the fragmentation. It just dilutes and separates the world's best players for both TV and tournaments. It is like cable and streaming TV. You have to sign up with multiple TV or streaming providers to configure all the TV programming you want. 🤪Too difficult to watch, so just don't watch much golf anymore,  but that could be a good thing too. 😂

@tacklingdummyyou were not off exactly when you mentioned Japan. The Asian Tour DID have 2 events in 2022 in both Japan and South Korea. They were co-sanctioned with the the home country's tour. I will be very curious to see how those events shake out in 2023.

17 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

Sorry Professional competitive golf is not for you, but i find the PGAT very entertaining.

As long as I'm entertained, I couldn't care less about their personalities. Hope you find some personalities to root for.....good luck with that because most athletes are too focused on their craft to have that quality.

love your sarcasm!!

I'm so glad you love watching the tour and are entertained by todays bland everybody the same swing and philosophy.

I guess I meant nobody is fun to watch, Finau is fun to watch he has a unique game and skill set, loved watching Cam Smith, but will never have the chance to watch him anymore. When Spieth is playing well too.  But they are entertainers as well. I am also glad you dont need people with personalities, but most people do, as I'm sure you can tell by the ratings of golf. HArd to watch somebody grind when you could care less about them and the outcome.

8 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

love your sarcasm!!

I'm so glad you love watching the tour and are entertained by todays bland everybody the same swing and philosophy.

I guess I meant nobody is fun to watch, Finau is fun to watch he has a unique game and skill set, loved watching Cam Smith, but will never have the chance to watch him anymore. When Spieth is playing well too.  But they are entertainers as well. I am also glad you dont need people with personalities, but most people do, as I'm sure you can tell by the ratings of golf. HArd to watch somebody grind when you could care less about them and the outcome.

Thanks for recognizing the sarcasm because most on this site take themselves way too seriously. Bank of America just came out with a new survey about the state of golf.

Sales, rounds played and everything golf related are on an upward trend from pre Covid.

With 2021 being the apex.

8 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Thanks for recognizing the sarcasm because most on this site take themselves way too seriously. Bank of America just came out with a new survey about the state of golf.

Sales, rounds played and everything golf related are on an upward trend from pre Covid.

With 2021 being the apex.

I agree with that for sure, I can see it in the places I play.

but I would say just my own curiosity by asking people, hardly anybody I know or ask watch  more golf or as much golf now as they did 2-3 years ago 

Like the NBA they claim to be so popular, but dont know anybody who watches more than the occasional nothings on so I'll check out a good matchup game

34 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

I agree with that for sure, I can see it in the places I play.

but I would say just my own curiosity by asking people, hardly anybody I know or ask watch  more golf or as much golf now as they did 2-3 years ago 

Like the NBA they claim to be so popular, but dont know anybody who watches more than the occasional nothings on so I'll check out a good matchup game

As soon as golf gets a dominate #1 as well as a showman on the course, the game of golf will escalate beyond. Rory could be that guy, but he'll need to win a few more majors......

Haven't seen too many that's bold, brash and animated since TW....

BTW, I watch more golf now than ever since the new and improved LPGA. 

6 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

1) The golf on television isn’t very good in my opinion, and I assume many others since there is a thread on it here weekly, and ratings are down.

2) Yes, that’s exactly what I am saying, and I think the media is a big part of that.  When you show him constantly, no matter where he is in relation to he lead, people, especially more casual fans, are led to believe that he if he isn’t there, the tournament is less important.  

1. Okay, the coverage is not good.  But has it ever been good?  Not really, except when there was someone exciting that raised the bar or the excitement that grows around the majors.  I think the modern players with their lack of individualism and shortage of personality are much to blame for the fall off in viewership.   Is Scottie Scheffler a winner?  Sure.  Does he possess that mass appeal factor for someone to tune in and watch him?  Hell No.  And Spieth and JT walking down the fairway looking smug - who the hell wants to watch that? 

2.  I like what Tiger brings to a tournament.  Moreover, he brings in sports fans, not just golf fans.  People love to watch the great ones.  I believe the desire to watch what will happen with those among the elite in sports is much a personal decision and not the media's influence. 

6 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

Yeah, these casual fanboys, they don’t know any better 

“This guy is it. He is I-T. He is No. 1. Nicklaus was my man. I always loved Nicklaus' game. But Tiger, man, I can't wait to turn the tube on. I study him. I love the way he plays. The way he carries himself.”

-Lee Trevino

; )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

As soon as golf gets a dominate #1 as well as a showman on the course, the game of golf will escalate beyond. Rory could be that guy, but he'll need to win a few more majors......

Haven't seen too many that's bold, brash and animated since TW....

BTW, I watch more golf now than ever since the new and improved LPGA. 

I dont want bold and brash, unless it is to root against him

just need somebody who is interesting

I can’t wait to see somebody go 40 under at the Sentry TOC.  When the NFL season ends, Sunday’s TV viewing goes straight to golf. I will record and watch every hole of all of the majors and Ryder/President’s Cup. With little kids it’s hard to get out for several hours and play, but having access to watching events from the phone, computers and/or television is amazing. I’ve always thought the presentation was boring. However, the pure greatness keeps me returning to watching more.  

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Yeah, these casual fanboys, they don’t know any better 

“This guy is it. He is I-T. He is No. 1. Nicklaus was my man. I always loved Nicklaus' game. But Tiger, man, I can't wait to turn the tube on. I study him. I love the way he plays. The way he carries himself.”

-Lee Trevino

; )

Lee "Buck"........Possibly the most underrated player in golf. In my opinion of course.

Definitely in storytelling and quotes.

• Like 2

The only tournaments I watch are The Open and The Masters.  PGA Championship I'm in the "who cares" group, and the US Open used to be a must watch, but can say I've only checked in occasionally, if Sunday back 9 is a close contest I might tune in.

Other PGAT events, have turned into Korn Ferry equivalents in my opinion....I'd rather play than watch golf

• Like 2

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

6 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

The only tournaments I watch are The Open and The Masters.  PGA Championship I'm in the "who cares" group, and the US Open used to be a must watch, but can say I've only checked in occasionally, if Sunday back 9 is a close contest I might tune in.

Other PGAT events, have turned into Korn Ferry equivalents in my opinion....I'd rather play than watch golf

I never watched the British Open until a few years ago.  

24 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Each to his own. Just wondering if you look for interesting players in other sports or do you look for performance?

performance is interesting, people who play with some kind of distinct style or flare. I guess i have been misleading, dont need personality but personality in their play and performance . Like Spieth is vanilla in his personality, but is great to watch play when in contention, I guess that is what I am saying. Koepka was great to watch with his swagger and determination, or cam smith the way he gets around a course

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

performance is interesting, people who play with some kind of distinct style or flare. I guess i have been misleading, dont need personality but personality in their play and performance . Like Spieth is vanilla in his personality, but is great to watch play when in contention, I guess that is what I am saying. Koepka was great to watch with his swagger and determination, or cam smith the way he gets around a course

... My favorite player to watch on any Tour is Nelly Korda. I am not sure you can be more bland in personality on the course and more dynamic in performance. When she is really on she could almost be a robot hitting every fairway, long and straight with laser irons right at every flag regardless of location on the green. She can hit fades/draws with equal accuracy and controls her trajectory with approach shots. I find her expressionless play absolutely mesmerizing. Obviously ymmv's ...

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... My favorite player to watch on any Tour is Nelly Korda. I am not sure you can be more bland in personality on the course and more dynamic in performance. When she is really on she could almost be a robot hitting every fairway, long and straight with laser irons right at every flag regardless of location on the green. She can hit fades/draws with equal accuracy and controls her trajectory with approach shots. I find her expressionless play absolutely mesmerizing. Obviously ymmv's ...

great played golf is always good to watch, that is interesting, not looking for anybody to dance around or anything, but they have a way about playing that is interesting, and she def. is interesting to watch that is for sure