Televised Professional Golf......no longer relevant?

MelloYello

1 hour ago, Kmagnuss said:

Do you like Cantlay also?

... Like many players on the PGA Tour, when he is playing well. But I don't watch much PGA other than the Majors and Team events, or if any of my favorite swings to watch are in contention. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Way too much fear in golf..... for a good broadcast

TV commentators are sooooo boring.  Its like they are all 1950s clergymen and women.  So bland and chuckling at the most boring banter that they think is funny.  How bout just be funny and interesting, its not hard.

Sponsors actually dont give a flying F if you cross the line, they only act like they care for the .01% of people that do and we all know those kinds of people and we dont care about their opinions.... so sad.  F1 driver was singing about his ball sack on that Netflix show and sponsors didn't drop him lol they probably were crackin up like everyone else....  Sponsors executives are the rudest sons of b's out there lol...... yes I've played golf with them as many of you have

But TV has sooo much fear of something that doesn't actually exist..... that they are killing their own golf show

Can't figure how to like my own posts

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

Perhaps we should look at this philosophically.   Should the networks replace golf on TV with something more relevant to the modern viewer?

Network executives aren't stupid. They have an endless amount of data from which to make decisions. They wouldn't be spending billions to own the rights to the PGAT if there were alternatives that provided a better bang for their buck.   

• Like 1

I watch golf over the winter.  Around mid January I start to really miss it and start watching... mostly out of jealousy. 

Then by Bay Hill (hopefully) I'm back outside and won't tune in except for the majors. 

Edited by St Jimmy

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

Network executives aren't stupid. They have an endless amount of data from which to make decisions. They wouldn't be spending billions to own the rights to the PGAT if there were alternatives that provided a better bang for their buck.   

Yep, new TV deal that's up 400% from the previous one ....9 year $1.6B

Media deal 12 year $2B....Yet some are calling televised golf irrelevant......OK

All golf is still riding the pandemic wave....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

I watch golf over the winter.  Around mid January I start to really miss it and start watching... mostly out of jealousy. 

Then by Bay Hill (hopefully) I'm back outside and won't tune in except for the majors. 

I'm with you. I live in central New York and when it's reasonably nice weather, I would rather be playing golf, cycling, working around the yard. When it's crap, especially between the beginning of January until the beginning of April, is when I watch the most golf, typically on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays if the televised NFL games are not interesting. I almost always watch some of the majors but, again, I would rather be playing than watching. I will sometimes DVR the last round if I think it's going to be a nip and tuck battle between players that I enjoy watching. I almost never watch the Champions Tour and probably only watch the LPGA during morning workouts. I don't think that a different broadcast golf product would change my viewing habits.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

This is GolfWRX. Nothing is more relevant than golf.

Come to think of it, not much on TV seems relevant anymore. It’s all just noise and nonsense to lull you into a stupor.

TV is one giant turkey dinner.

You know.  They told us as kids it would rot our Brains.  

were they wrong ?   It’s hard to make an argument to support the indictment of my grandparents.   The amount they were correct about is frightening.  And the predictions made that haven’t come to past yet haunt me daily.  

that being said one of my best memories is watching Jack win in 86 with my grandpa.  He didn’t play , and was still of the opinion that we were below the level of person that could be on a course. But he loved the game and watched every Sunday it was on.  I watched with him.  And I guess because of that I still love to watch it.  I don’t find it boring at all. Especially if a swing I love is in contention.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As a retiree, I have no need or desire to join the unwashed hordes playing 6 hour rounds of weekend golf.  I am one of the weekend tour watchers and usually catch part of the first two rounds at my leisure after dinner.  “Reality” TV is anything but real.  

Gimme an old western or action/spy movie with a storyline and you have my undivided attention.  👍

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Mizuno ST 3 woods stiff

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

TM Spider GT-x putter

XXIO bag on MGI Zip AT cart

I’ll keep this simple and to the point.  I used to watch a ton of golf on tv.  Record everything.  My family would lose me for hours/day while I caught up on the current round & forget trying to tear me away from a major.  That being said, I haven’t watched squat the second half of this year and not really excited about the upcoming season.

The straw being the LIV split.  I was already beginning to struggle with PGA coverage but at least I knew it was the best players in the  world competing in the field most weeks.  So I’d fast forward through the commercials and most of the “playing through” nonsense but then a lot of very watchable players jumped ship and just don’t find it worth the effort for a watered down field.  So I tried to watch commercial free LIV but find the format very anticlimactic due to the shotgun start on courses I don’t know and it’s an even more watered down field so I just don’t watch pro golf anymore.  

I’ll watch the majors, but if top players aren’t allowed to compete, they’re next on the chopping block for me.  I’m not interested in watching asterisked majors.  I’ll watch LPGA majors, NCAA finals, KF finals.  I consume a lot of YT golf content now and my absolute favorites are when tour pros take off their corporate hats and play with/against regular humans.  Let’s us see how talented they really are and their (more) honest personalities come out.  

AMG golf - swing technicals

TXG - equipment & testing

Zac Redford - course vlogs

Bob does Sports - middle aged debauchery 

Gabe Gallucci - road to pro attempt

Bryan Bros - quality talent & production 

Porzak Golf - instruction

Sub Par - golf podcast

Genevieve Ling - practice, strategy, course vlogs

Club Pro Guy - golf comedy

Tons of honorable mentions so yeah, I don’t need televised pro golf like I used to.  Corporate greed kinda ruined it for me. 

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K on the way)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

very interesting topic

me personally watching more golf than ever on every platform not just tv, working from home has made a huge difference on increasing my golf addiction 

half of my golf friends all  pretty much watch only on the weekends

find the pgat very entertaining, and i attend a tournamet every year, its amazing to see these guys in person doing unvelieble things on the golf course, also a fan of the european tour and lpga.

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

On 11/29/2022 at 5:13 AM, Bad9 said:

Phil was always the heel, he just hid it well.

Tiger learned early we don't really wan them to be honest and it was easier to give the same lame responses to the same lame questions and just go out and destroy records.

I certainly agree with your point on Phil. There was always background rumbling, Ryder Cup drama, and FIGJAM comments, but he certainly kept his public persona pretty positive. His style of play is entertaining, he was funny and occasionally self deprecating. The casual fan had no idea that behind the scenes he was an uber arrogant jerk. 

As to Tiger, I'm not so sure. People like Rory because he seems open and honest. People love Peyton Manning because he's funny and personable (see SNL or "Cut that meat!"). To be fair to Tiger, he attained a level of fame and scrutiny that only a few probably understand (Ali, Jordan, Elvis, The Beatles). I think we do want athletes to be honest and show some personality, but I do agree with you that it was probably far easier and less risky for Tiger to just stick to a boring script. 

On 11/28/2022 at 2:00 AM, bekgolf said:

Say whaaattt?

They're not wrong. When I watch majors, I watch the curated, re-streamed version one day later which has all commercials, commentary and interviews removed.

Condenses 6-7h of coverage into something far less onerous to consume and I can do it at my leisure.

• Like 2

1. Nobody seems to be having any fun and every swing looks the same. 
  2. Monotony of practice swings, pre-shot routines and aim-point green reading combined with headcase crutches like long putters and the claw grip. Give me a break... just get on with it and hit the shot. 
  3. Watching every tee shot get 80 yards of roll while every green is soft enough to hold a 2 iron from 245 is just not golf. I'm a pretty decent player but I live in Michigan, play mostly public courses and my tee shots routinely spin backwards in the fairway while my wedges bounce over greens. 

I watch the majors and exhibitions and I am fans of players with personality and self-taught swings. Everything else no thanks.

Edited by mgoblue83

On 11/27/2022 at 8:20 PM, chisag said:

... Professional golf has slowly become a game I no longer identify with. Tiger came along and hit it farther and was in better shape than anyone else and was very exciting to watch. Fast forward and everyone is in great shape, has instructors, started at age 2 and hit it over 300yds and bunkers at 280 are just aiming points. Towering irons from 230 or longer into par 5's. I just have little interest in watching someone hit it 330 into light rough and hit a 9 iron 165 unto a green and stop it after a hop or two. 

... I do watch the women every tournament and I can identify with the average LPGA players game if not the Korda's and Tavatanakit's. They hit more interesting shots than the men instead of just bomb and gouge. I do watch every round of a Major and the Ryder/Prez Cups and some of the exhibitions. But the average PGA Tour event just doesn't interest me anymore. 

Could not have said it better, agree 100% ^^^^^

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Ping G410 4 hybrid

Lynx Parallax 5-SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, MelloYello said:

When I got into golf as a college student in 2009, golf on TV was really cool. It was undoubtedly exciting and was definitely a factor driving my interest in the game.

Back then, Tiger was in his prime (we thought) and we were only beginning to see people like Rory McIlroy and Jason Day arrive on a scene that featured Phil Mickelson and Adam Scott as major contenders. Fast forward to 2022 and I can't tell you the last (men's) tournament I watched. And it's not just apathy. I've honestly grown to dislike a lot of men's professional golf. And this is far from uncommon. 

I ask golfers today if they watch and they respond, "No, but I still tune in for the majors." In time, I think this will evolve into, "I still tune in for Sunday's final round....if there's a big name at the top."

I ask golfers today who they pull for and they tell me, "I don't really have a favorite" or "I just root against X because he's a tool."

I ask golfers today if the power element so entrenched in the modern game is good and most say they no longer get a thrill from it since it's so common. 

I ask people what they dislike and they collectively say, "the money." And while I don't know this for a fact, it does feel like there's a massive wealth inequality problem where the players at the tippy top get all the money. 

I ask people about LIV and like me, most haven't even bothered to watch a single event.

In short, everyone's thinking the same thing and we all seem to agree pro golf sort of sucks now. And the fact the house of cards so quickly fell apart overnight with LIV just shows how sponsors contributing to "record purses" don't actually mean you're okay. Things can still pop unexpectedly and the whole operation can grind to a halt overnight. 

Want a prediction? Here's what we all think >> eventually the LIV tour will collapse due to lack of interest and funding being cut off by the Saudi's and the players who are young enough or for whatever reason against retirement will rejoin the PGA and attempt to rebrand in some big event nobody will care much about. 

So I guess, my question is about the future of golf for us and what the lack of pro tours means when we get to say, 2050. Where are we heading? I can't imagine whether or not I'd have stuck with golf had the professional game not been around in 2010. So is this evolution or a market crash? Maybe this is how it ends, LOL?

Most golf content seems to be non-Professional these days. YouTube is where most golf fans seem to lurk. That's where podcasters, vloggers, instructors, and equipment shlomps live. Nobody really cares much about the Professionals anymore and it seems most are actually secretly pulling for the whole thing to collapse as the money seems dirty and the idea of a 20-something getting rich with endorsements and retiring in Florida seems....let's just say "uninspiring" to the fans at home. 

So as a "General" question, where are we going? 

To be clear, this isn't a question about pro golf in 2050. This is a question about what the collapse of pro golf's popularity means for the rest of us and the game in general. 

it means nothing ... pro golf means not one iota to the rank/file golfers that get up at 6 am on saturdays/sundays to beat the crowds & walk 18, or that show up with their buddy/ies at 5 pm for a quick 9 ... you're either a golfer who golfs and ultimately doesn't give a damn about liv/pga/tiger/majors even, or you're just someone with a passing interest in something, like most humans these days ... 

• Like 3

Me and my dad used to record everything possible back when we were using VCRs. Fred Couples was my guy. Norman, Price and Faldo were the machines.  Loved watching the tournaments in Australia in December.

The Tour had to chase the $$ while the iron was (is?) hot (Tiger). Finchem and Monahan didn't start the negotiation, by credit to them for closing those deals and negotiating record contracts. The purses and number of events grew. However, one by product of the $ is an increase in commercials and the abomination that is "Playing Through".  The choppy, non-linear broadcast is essentially the opposite of an actual peaceful round of golf.  Loud and vulgar commercials punctuate 2 putts and a tape delayed tee shot segment. No flow of the action.

Nowadays, I listen to golf podcasts (The Shotgun Start, Fried Egg, and NLU). These move at a slower pace. I also watch the daily highlight reels, Masters final rounds, Open films, etc. on YouTube.

I forgot were I heard it (or read) it, but several years ago the following quote made a big impact on my overall media consumption. 

"Golf is meant to be played, not consumed"

In my brain, this translated to "If I'm in front of a tube, I'm not working on my putting..."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tiderider said:

it means nothing ... pro golf means not one iota to the rank/file golfers that get up at 6 am on saturdays/sundays to beat the crowds & walk 18, or that show up with their buddy/ies at 5 pm for a quick 9 ... you're either a golfer who golfs and ultimately doesn't give a damn about liv/pga/tiger/majors even, or you're just someone with a passing interest in something, like most humans these days ... 

Ehhh, I'm 100% on that 6am Sat/Sun 18 hole walking diet but I still enjoy watching golf too. The fact that you're taking the time to post a comment on a "Tour Talk" board is proof enough that you do give at least a little damn 😉 

• Like 1

It is a bit odd, I definitely haven’t got into watching much past couple years myself, besides majors. 

Lots of good feedback here on why.

It’s been a really bizarre past couple years for everyone with Covid and then coming out of it. I think everybody wanted to get out and about as much as possible during the warmer months, especially during the day on weekends. 

Let’s see what happens this year. Never know. 

• Like 2

The best thing that ever happened to the Women's game is that the Men became distance-dependent.

Watching Alker this year was great, but the guy that does TourChamps that knows everything and talks over everyone is exhausting.

What's interesting though is that in New Zealand, almost all the coverage is commercial free - either it's a replay from earlier, or it's DPWT so there are no commercial breaks. Watching live PGA TOUR coverage is AWFUL! Every 6 minutes is 90 seconds of ads! You know how everyone likes the Masters because they have 2 minutes/hour of ads? Imagine that's how ALL golf coverage was. It is here. In the rare cases I watch in the morning, the PGA has a guy that goes through scores, highlights, and additional live coverage while you all watch Gillette razors and cracked windshield commercials.

I would hate watching golf again if I ever moved back to the States. Maybe it's not the content, but the presentation layer… 

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

14 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Ehhh, I'm 100% on that 6am Sat/Sun 18 hole walking diet but I still enjoy watching golf too. The fact that you're taking the time to post a comment on a "Tour Talk" board is proof enough that you do give at least a little damn 😉 

hence the use of ultimately ... do all of us care about pro golf? ... absolutely ... but as DLIII said to NLU, golf will be fine ... it's pro golf that will have upheaval, but the game of golf played by all of us won't change one bit ... our passion is the actual game, not the person on tv ... whatever passions we have about pros comes directly from our love of the game itself ... 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2022 at 6:45 PM, MelloYello said:

To be clear, this isn't a question about pro golf in 2050. This is a question about what the collapse of pro golf's popularity means for the rest of us and the game in general. 

Who told you that pro golf's popularity has collapsed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

On 12/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, tiderider said:

then I guess I’m stupid or something as a golfer that indeed do go up pre 6 during the seasons to beat the crowds but still enjoy TV golf as much as 1983, always seeing at least last holes come sunday of every DP tour event, and not missing a shot of the last round last pairing of Masters and The Open. 

i’ve learned how to skip ads comfortably.

Golf is something i know, and although a bogey golfer myself since 1981 I have friends who became elite in my home country. Golf is a sport I can relate to. 

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1