Televised Professional Golf......no longer relevant?

MelloYello

Interesting perspectives. I suppose I don't understand the mindset of preferring the Champions Tour or LPGA because they're more relatable. I specifically watch to see the world's best do things I can't do. I'm certainly not going to start watching the WNBA because the athletic ability of Lebron James is unrelatable. I'm not going to watch the CFL or XFL because Patrick Mahomes to just too impossibly talented. The impossibility is the point. I want to see Rory drive it to places I can't imagine reaching, JT carving an iron to a green I didn't think possible, Cam Smith burying every putt he sees, Phil hitting flops shots to 1 foot from impossibly tight lies. 

In regards to viewing habits, I probably watch more golf now than I ever have. With the exception of the majors, I'm never parking on the couch for 6+ hours watching a full round. I have an office job so I never really watch Thu/Fri but will typically tune into the Golf Channel or Youtube at night to catch some highlights. On the weekends, my goal is to play. By the time I'm finished, I usually make it back home to catch the leaders finish their rounds. If it's a lower tier event, I'll probably just check in occasionally while channel surfing. If it's a bigger event or a compelling leaderboard I'll watch more. In truth, I don't think I consume golf any differently than I consume any sport. I'll watch my team intently, if they're not playing, I'm channel surfing and multi-tasking. 

The the original OP, I think viewing habits everywhere are changing. A few antidotes from friends doesn't foretell the death of golf on TV. The viewing audience of everything is down, there are simply too many other things to do. Streaming shows to binge, Youtube wormholes to fall into, esports (which I think is weird but obviously has a huge audience), etc etc. Live sports just so happens to be declining at a slower rate. Perhaps this eventually leads to a reckoning in pro sports but based on the most recent broadcast deals, that day is still pretty far away.     

• Like 2

I watch the sunday round of every PGA event, and all rounds of the majors. Only don't find the commentators particualrly intresting but I like the golf regardless of who's in the field.

Hot take here apparently but the LPGA is super boring, swings are similar and doesn't feel like they're excited. Dudes only watch it becasue its women on the TV, not because its much different or "relatable" than the PGA.

And in terms of relatability, the appeal of watching the PGA is to see those guys do what I can't. @Dutch1008 makes this point perfectly. 

I guess I also don't understand how an LPGA pro is any more relatiable, they would smoke most if not everyone on here, myself included.

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I blame Cantlay 

Countless fans abandoned golf viewing due to his ceaseless fidgeting around or just involuntarily hurled their remote at their tv and destroyed it completely. 

I saw a round where Cantlay and Horschel were paired up and I felt like it was an OCD support group meeting. 

Edited by betarhoalphadelta
  • Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I’ve found myself watching a lot more YouTube golf (good good and Bryan bros mostly) than live golf due to time constraints. The YouTube matches are 24 minutes to an hour, limited ads and non stop golf. I don’t have some broadcaster thinking I’m tuning in to hear him talk. 

im also probably not the typical demo for this switch as I’m pushing 50 yrs old and life long golf addict. 

Televised golf is brutally slow pacing, horrible production and usually completely misses why we are tuning in. Oh, and commercials suck. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Why was it that Tiger and Rory came off as likable in a way that nobody today seems to be? Why is coverage today so off-putting? 

Social media.  Even 10 years ago a site like this one was where you had to go other than a few other places to find things out.  Now, it's everywhere, by anyone and everyone regardless of the talent level they have (some of the "writers" here are pretty bad...).  Everything is over commercialized to the point that you want to turn it off (like the ads on this site...). 

I scroll through FB during my lunch hour and it's filled with crap I don't care about.  This evening, I got at least 7 different 'pages' yapping about Cam barely beating up on no bodies to win an event back home...  Too much over the top sensationalism and click bait terms, very little substance.

• Like 2

A Revolving Door

12 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

Wow, you're finally making sense......LOL! (I kid)

Mike Whan would be a great Commissioner for any tour.

the LPGAT is on the rise everywhere.......

You may not like this statement though. 😂  Yeah, the PGA tour is not going anywhere, but I'm pretty sure Monahan and the PGA executives do not want to make the PGA into more a world tour like the LPGA because of the logistics of running tournaments abroad and player travel. So, the world market is where LIV is really looking and wanting to push towards. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Why was it that Tiger and Rory came off as likable in a way that nobody today seems to be? Why is coverage today so off-putting? 

Hmm, I don't think I'd describe prime Tiger as likable. He showed passion and joy on the course but off the course he was practically a robot. Zero personality, zero humor, all business, all of the time. During that period, I'd say Phil was the likable one. Phil was the one that had fun with the media, cracked jokes, engaged with fans. Tiger was the T1000 machine sent back in time to assassinate golf records. Tiger was like Bill Belichick / Nick Saban / Tom Brady / Michael Jordan, unquestionably great but single-mindedly focused on their goals at the exclusion of everything else. Phil was more like Peyton Manning or Shaq. Still great but intent on enjoying themselves a little along the way. Honestly, it's why I find Phil's "heel turn" so shocking. Tiger was always more respected and admired but you could easily make the argument that Phil was more loved. After his personal failings and physical hardships, I think Tiger's been humbled and through that process of redemption is far more likable now than he was at the height of his powers. YMMV. 

As for today, I think there are plenty of likable golfers. Rory seems like a pretty genuine dude. So does Jordan Spieth and Colin Morikawa. Finau might be too nice for his own good, same with Hovland. Max Homa is hilarious and it's nice to see his game catch up with his personality. Tom Kim is probably on the verge of becoming Gen Z's favorite golfer. KPop dominates music, maybe golf is next. Xander seems cool and I'd love to play a round and have drinks with Cam Smith, Kisner or Lowry. Point being, there are plenty of likable characters and anybody saying the past was more colorful or likable is caught in a nostalgia trap. You'll never convince me that Johnny Miller, Curtis Strange, Nick Faldo, or Paul Azinger were likable or charismatic.  Sure, you had your Seve's Trevino's, and Palmer's but those dudes are the exception to the rule. 

As to your final question, the coverage of everything is trash. I blame cable news and the early '00s gossip blogs like Deadspin and TMZ. They proved that drama and controversy drove eyeballs/clicks while thoughtful insight or analysis doesn't go viral. Its' been a slow descent ever since. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Body_Visions said:

How do I what?

image.png.d38fc96bd71e0c2be7b358355f9e56b1.png

You stated two main reasons for TV golf's lack of relevancy.   

I asked how you delineate both items.     

1. How exactly does horrible coverage make televised golf less relevant?   The coverage is a mechanism for viewers and doesn't impact the outcome.  The viewer can take what the viewer wants to take from the coverage.  It's always been that way.  Never in time has sports coverage, golf or otherwise, been stellar.   

2. Are you saying TV golf lacks relevancy because an entire generation of golf fans think a tournament without Tiger doesn't count? 

If you don't like Tiger, that's fine - just don't attempt to characterize a group of people you don't know and blame it on the media.  Too much of that happening right now.   

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

1. How exactly does horrible coverage make televised golf less relevant?   The coverage is a mechanism for viewers and doesn't impact the outcome.  The viewer can take what the viewer wants to take from the coverage.  It's always been that way.  Never in time has sports coverage, golf or otherwise, been stellar.   

2. Are you saying TV golf lacks relevancy because an entire generation of golf fans think a tournament without Tiger doesn't count? 

If you don't like Tiger, that's fine - just don't attempt to characterize a group of people you don't know and blame it on the media.  Too much of that happening right now.   

"Delineate" has a few too many syllables...LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2022 at 7:58 PM, North Butte said:

I never watched a bit of golf until I'd been playing a while. And even once I started I'm not sure I ever watched nearly as much as most of the guys I play golf with. It was more of something to watch on rainy days when I couldn't play or to have running in the background while I messed about in the house. 

But over the past decade or so, as the coverage has gotten lamer and lamer and the interminable "routines" and general silliness of the players has just gone off the charts I've totally lost what little interest I had.

So if there's some sort of collapse in popularity happening, I'm not surprised. My only question is why it took this long. I personally just don't feel any connection between golf, the game I play, and Golf the televised so-called sport. 

The most mens pro golf I watched this year was 1.5hrs after round 2 of our club championship waiting for scores to be posted. At home I probably didn't watch that much combined for the year. I do try to watch the LPGA but even that not as much as i used to.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

11 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Hmm, I don't think I'd describe prime Tiger as likable. He showed passion and joy on the course but off the course he was practically a robot. Zero personality, zero humor, all business, all of the time. During that period, I'd say Phil was the likable one. Phil was the one that had fun with the media, cracked jokes, engaged with fans. Tiger was the T1000 machine sent back in time to assassinate golf records. Tiger was like Bill Belichick / Nick Saban / Tom Brady / Michael Jordan, unquestionably great but single-mindedly focused on their goals at the exclusion of everything else. Phil was more like Peyton Manning or Shaq. Still great but intent on enjoying themselves a little along the way. Honestly, it's why I find Phil's "heel turn" so shocking. Tiger was always more respected and admired but you could easily make the argument that Phil was more loved. After his personal failings and physical hardships, I think Tiger's been humbled and through that process of redemption is far more likable now than he was at the height of his powers. YMMV. 

As for today, I think there are plenty of likable golfers. Rory seems like a pretty genuine dude. So does Jordan Spieth and Colin Morikawa. Finau might be too nice for his own good, same with Hovland. Max Homa is hilarious and it's nice to see his game catch up with his personality. Tom Kim is probably on the verge of becoming Gen Z's favorite golfer. KPop dominates music, maybe golf is next. Xander seems cool and I'd love to play a round and have drinks with Cam Smith, Kisner or Lowry. Point being, there are plenty of likable characters and anybody saying the past was more colorful or likable is caught in a nostalgia trap. You'll never convince me that Johnny Miller, Curtis Strange, Nick Faldo, or Paul Azinger were likable or charismatic.  Sure, you had your Seve's Trevino's, and Palmer's but those dudes are the exception to the rule. 

As to your final question, the coverage of everything is trash. I blame cable news and the early '00s gossip blogs like Deadspin and TMZ. They proved that drama and controversy drove eyeballs/clicks while thoughtful insight or analysis doesn't go viral. Its' been a slow descent ever since. 

Phil was always the heel, he just hid it well.

Tiger learned early we don't really wan them to be honest and it was easier to give the same lame responses to the same lame questions and just go out and destroy records.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Wouldn't that depend on how you define relevancy? 

If men's golf on TV is merely a form of entertainment, then relevancy would be measured at least in part by popularity.

Clearly the popularity is dropping among those in this thread. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 11/28/2022 at 4:21 AM, Body_Visions said:

I believe there are two main reasons for this:

1- the coverage is horrible, and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

2- for the last 25 years, the media has conditioned an entire generation to believe that if Eldrick isn’t playing, the tournament doesn’t matter, and the ratings are paying the price for that now. 

Right. 

Just like MJ! People go nuts to see him cause media hype

Not like he do anything that special 

michael jordan basketball GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chunked said:

I’ve found myself watching a lot more YouTube golf (good good and Bryan bros mostly) than live golf due to time constraints. The YouTube matches are 24 minutes to an hour, limited ads and non stop golf. I don’t have some broadcaster thinking I’m tuning in to hear him talk. 

im also probably not the typical demo for this switch as I’m pushing 50 yrs old and life long golf addict. 

Televised golf is brutally slow pacing, horrible production and usually completely misses why we are tuning in. Oh, and commercials suck. 

Yep.  I've been watching what Finch, Carter, and Fryer have been putting out for a while now, especially with Carter back in the UK.  Lots of fun matches, 20-45min videos.  I likely consume more YT golf than I do regular PGAT golf.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I used to watch golf as much as possible, not I barely can get through a few holes. I ma turn on to see who is playing well, but the first page of the leader sheet may have 1 person I would be interested in watching, then I turn it off and never go back.. It is sad but golf is not fun to watch right now, watered down. Nobody to have fjn rooting for or against, just a bunch of young people with out personalities who all hit the ball 350

• Like 1

I'm someone who used to watch as much golf as humanly possible, but have now transitioned into just the majors, TPC, etc.  

My reason is that time is scarce and I have to decide what is most important to me.  That's a decision that I didn't really worry about 15 years ago.  I work more now, my sons are both older, and my time with my wife, family, & friends is more important.  Honestly, I'd rather play 2 hours of Fortnite with two friends who live too far to drive to see, or play with my sons, than watch 2 hours of golf that doesn't impact me one way or another.  It has zero to do with the money, the distance, or even the storylines of the current game of golf.  

FWIW, I also watch WWWWAAAAAYYYYY less of every other sport than I used to as well, especially football.  If you let it, that sport will run you from Thursday evening through Monday evening with no letup, similar to golf.  

I think post-COVID people are just more selective with their free time.  I know I am.  

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

20 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

The the original OP, I think viewing habits everywhere are changing. A few antidotes from friends doesn't foretell the death of golf on TV. The viewing audience of everything is down, there are simply too many other things to do. Streaming shows to binge, Youtube wormholes to fall into, esports (which I think is weird but obviously has a huge audience), etc etc. Live sports just so happens to be declining at a slower rate. Perhaps this eventually leads to a reckoning in pro sports but based on the most recent broadcast deals, that day is still pretty far away.     

I'll second this point. There are too many contents and formats that compete the same "disposable" time comparing with 10 years ago. High production value does not necessarily translate into more screen time. I found myself watching more YouTube golfers than pro golfers occasionally.  

I'd love if some innovators come around and reimagined how golf is televised. Televised golf hasn't changed much in the last 10-ish years. 

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

FWIW, I also watch WWWWAAAAAYYYYY less of every other sport than I used to as well, especially football.  If you let it, that sport will run you from Thursday evening through Monday evening with no letup, similar to golf.  

I think post-COVID people are just more selective with their free time.  I know I am.  

Yup. I'm a big basketball and football fan. And I don't really watch the games until the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

I'm someone who used to watch as much golf as humanly possible, but have now transitioned into just the majors, TPC, etc.  

My reason is that time is scarce and I have to decide what is most important to me.  That's a decision that I didn't really worry about 15 years ago.  I work more now, my sons are both older, and my time with my wife, family, & friends is more important.  Honestly, I'd rather play 2 hours of Fortnite with two friends who live too far to drive to see, or play with my sons, than watch 2 hours of golf that doesn't impact me one way or another.  It has zero to do with the money, the distance, or even the storylines of the current game of golf.  

Ya but if TW was playing in his prime now 

You, your Fortnite buddies, and your kids all be glued to the screen like,

Tigerrrrrrr!

🤣

Just kidding to a degree ; ) Many reflect your  sentiment, all true. Plus, in addition to people  there’s an explosion of on demand content that’s fantastic and available.

I still watch a lot of golf but I'm not as invested as I once was.  It has nothing to do with the product for me, I have no complaints about the coverage, players or style of play.  I'm just at a stage in my life where pro golf and pro sports in general aren't as high on my priority list as they once were.  Like every other sport, we tend to look back at our favorite era with rose colored glasses.  In 20 years, there will be a generation saying that golf was much better back when they were watching Rory, Jordan, JT, DJ, Rahm, etc.  Evolution in sports is inevitable.  Athletes become bigger, faster and stronger.  We know more about training, diet and recovery. We have tech like Trackman and 3d cameras operating at 1,000fps.  Style of play and strategy is dictated by analytics which takes away a lot of the variety that is compelling to some.  If you watched the Lakers/Celtics in the 80's or the 90's Bulls it's hard to accept that analytics has changed the NBA to an at the rim or behind the 3 point line league just like it's hard to accept that analytics has changed pro golf to bombing driver on almost every hole.  Like it or not, time move on.

• Like 1

IMO Televised golf is still relevant to people like me, that don't quit or give-up, cause of...  Regrettably though, in venues more than just golf, a great many youths quit, or give up on themselves because of attitude.

The OPs post brought to mind another article/survey that crossed my desk, recently.

Here are some Gen Z related quotes:

"Almost 70% of Zoomers said COVID-19 negatively affected their mental health, and this showed results in their anxiety levels. Roughly 85% expressed worry about the future."

"Of those diagnosed with a mental health disorder, 80% suffer from depression and 90% have anxiety."

"Compared to past generations, Zoomers told surveyors they have a tougher time getting ahead. Areas of concern included the economy, their personal financial health, their physical health, the environment, politics, and work situations, etc."

"Participants reported that 57% of the age group regularly takes medication, and a surprising 39% see a therapist at least once a week." "Nearly nine in 10 said they have difficulty seeing themselves in a bright future."

This is distressing because it's also a reflection on youth and golf.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Medson said:

I'll second this point. There are too many contents and formats that compete the same "disposable" time comparing with 10 years ago. High production value does not necessarily translate into more screen time. I found myself watching more YouTube golfers than pro golfers occasionally.  

I'd love if some innovators come around and reimagined how golf is televised. Televised golf hasn't changed much in the last 10-ish years. 

i just don't think it should take some kind of revolutionary innovation - 

get rid of the towers which do nothing other than show top down camera angles and put more cameras ground level from interesting angles. if a player is putting show a ground level view that includes the hole rather than a top down view which eliminates topography and layout. 

stop zooming in on the ball as it rolls towards the hole. in general, more wide angles and less zoom on all shots

show more shots and fewer putts from inside 5'

tell the story of the guys trying to make the cut on thur fri

eliminate playing through commercials. show commercials or golf - not both

stop zooming in on ball as it flies through the air - just show the players shot and if necessary a P-I-P of where the ball lands. 

this isnt' revolutionary stuff - just have to agree with those that have come to watch less golf because the televised product is so completely awful 

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I enjoyed the 1983 Open immensely, seeing it on holiday in England,  having started up golf as the first in the family. Watsons fantastic approach into the last on Birkdale, I can still remember the shivers it sent down my spine. Since then it has been probably way over a thousand tournaments followed.

And with a TiVo box to record it,  having perfected the skipping abilities, HD TV,  and the tracers, well, I hope to enjoy TV golf for many good years more. 

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I used to watch golf as much as possible, not I barely can get through a few holes. I ma turn on to see who is playing well, but the first page of the leader sheet may have 1 person I would be interested in watching, then I turn it off and never go back.. It is sad but golf is not fun to watch right now, watered down. Nobody to have fjn rooting for or against, just a bunch of young people with out personalities who all hit the ball 350

Sorry Professional competitive golf is not for you, but i find the PGAT very entertaining.

As long as I'm entertained, I couldn't care less about their personalities. Hope you find some personalities to root for.....good luck with that because most athletes are too focused on their craft to have that quality.