Game-changing putter (or putting technique)

tomathist

My putting game sucks. I have tried multiple grips, multiple heads, multiple lengths of shafts, and multiple distance control methods, but I still suck. Putting takes up 70% of my practice times, but I still can’t finish my 5 ft putts…

Was there any putter which changed your game (life)? Or any putting techniques/practices which helped your putting game? I am particularly interested in equipment/methods which can help finishing those short putts.

Very hard to do but, forget about results. Focus 100% on making a good strike on the line you have chosen.  When it goes in, great. When it doesn't, head to the next hole and forget it. You aren't going to make them all, period, even on a perfect strike. 

Note I state "strike" not "stroke".  If you practice putting you have the stroke, you just have to be sure the strike is middle of the club face and solid! 

I average about 30 putts per round. I'm 67 years old and use the arm lock method. 90% of my practice is less then 5 feet concentrating on nothing but a solid strike on the ball. The other 10% is long lag putts. 

• Like 2

Also 67 and have found great success with arm lock style and a claw grip. Have tried several grip styles, and found the claw grip allows my left arm (right handed) to be the leader. With a regular putting grip, my right hand wants to take over and does not allow a free-swinging stroke initiated by my shoulders. Now, I make a few 20+ footers, but my 3 putt avoidance has greatly improved and am very comfortable over an 8 footer now. Currently swinging and Odyssey Arm Lock Ten.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Are you starting the putts on your intended line?  If so, it is a read / speed issue.  If you are not, then it could be a stroke / alignment / grip/ putter issue.  Don't underestimate grip pressure.  Sounds like you are forcing things right now, which normally increases grip pressure.  This causes all kinds of issues.  Putting has so many variables and is not nearly as easy as the pros make it look.  I read somewhere the average amateur makes 50% from 5 ft and pro is 77%.  I would start with getting the ball to start where you want first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, black bnr32 said:

Going back to a putter style from my youth helped me.  Now that’s only 15 years ago, but it’s what I learned on.  Familiarity breeds confidence and less distractions.

I agree with this.  I tried 20+ different putter over past 5 years and ended up going back to a traditional Anser style putter that I grew up with.  I like to try different equipment and tinker always trying to improve, but do feel when you find a putter you like, stick with it.  I wish I did this 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Could be a million different reasons for why your putting could "suck", what are your expectations like? What is your current performance like? What issues are you having? 

For me I'm a better putter than my handicap is, and that only happened after I realized how low the percentages are for making putts especially on tour where they play on perfect greens. I just started focusing on my line and hoping I played enough speed, if I see my ball roll end over end on the line I wanted it to be on and didn't go it that's still a good putt there was just an issues with something else. Or if my speed is great leaving me with tap ins I cannot complain, soon they will start dropping, if they don't gotta keep making good putts. 

Last place you want to be a mental midget on the golf course is the putting green, I've been there before and that turns into a 40+ putt round, when I don't think and roll it that's low 30s and 20s territory. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, tomathist said:

My putting game sucks. I have tried multiple grips, multiple heads, multiple lengths of shafts, and multiple distance control methods, but I still suck. Putting takes up 70% of my practice times, but I still can’t finish my 5 ft putts…

Was there any putter which changed your game (life)? Or any putting techniques/practices which helped your putting game? I am particularly interested in equipment/methods which can help finishing those short putts.

This video , while a subtle (or not) pitch for the Raflewski putting mat, has some very valuable information. I use this mat and the drills he goes over and it has really improved my putts in the 5ft and under range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

Grinded on my technique for a 1.5 years, but i somehow just couldn't get my putting "really finalized", had an epiphany moment to try something with toe hang like an iron (basically toe down) since I'm used to that feeling of torque, and face balanced and plumber 45 degree toe hang wants to torque on you in the backswing, once I changed to a slant neck putting has become so much easier...

I still can't read greens and get speed down though 😄

1 hour ago, isitour said:

This video , while a subtle (or not) pitch for the Raflewski putting mat, has some very valuable information. I use this mat and the drills he goes over and it has really improved my putts in the 5ft and under range.

Thanks for sharing. Never know what to tell the GF to get me for Xmas, now I know! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomathist said:

I think your first issue is changing equipment too often and worrying about having a “perfect” fit. You should know what length your most comfortable with (33-35” will work for 99% of people), then find a head design (ie blade, mid-mallet, mallet) that you like. Idk what putter you normally use, but if you’re struggling with short putts and you’re using something with a lot of toe-hang, i’d recommend (it you haven’t already) trying something more face-balanced.

Next - and most importantly - STICK with the dang putter. The one thing that totally changed my putting is stupidly simple: get a putting mat for your room or anywhere that you’l actually use it often. Put a coin down near the end of the mat as your target. If the mat is designed similar to the popular “Perfect Practice” mat and the cup is on top of a ramp, don’t use that as your target, put  a coin down just before the ramp. Use the a ramp as your backstop. Putt just slightly past/over the coin and let the ball roll back. Seeing how far the ball rolls back to you will help you gauge your speed. Aim at specific sides of the coin; different speeds, etc.

(I’d recommend something cheaper than the Perfect Practice, I have a cheap mat and tried a more expensive one and hated it because it was incredibly slow and had permanent creases due to the stitching.)

One technique that has helped me when I’m not putting well is applying minimal pressure on the grip with my right hand - almost feel like your putting with your left hand only and guiding with right hand (i’m right handed). I’ll exaggerate this feeling with a couple practice strokes. An overactive right hand is a common issue

Edited by mjo23
  • Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

I terms of changing putters, maybe, it worked for my friend, he has all the new shiny stuff (Scotty, TM, Odyssey, etc), he went back to a Cleveland Huntington Beach 4 (I think), and he was putting lights out, to this day it still in the bag, perhaps the weight, length, lie angle, grip, etc, just fits his stroke...I also agree that you have to ensure you trust your line and practice those closer putts, we normally practice the longer putts and only give a small amount of time to the ones that actually matters (those 3-5 footers), don't be too hard on yourself, remember it is a game...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

1. You can be a bad putter with a good stroke, but you cant be a good putter with a bad stroke. And by bad "stroke", I mean a consistent one that returns the face to square at impact.

(which leads to 2)

2. Use a putting mirror or putting gates like the pelz putting tutor on the practice green. Do it. Now.

3. If you're struggling with choosing a putter, I recommend a square or fang style putter and not an anser style. The shape of, say, a spider x or odyssey 10 will help align the putter to the intended target at address. (Which btw, is EXTREMELY important.)

4. Most bad putters are bad putters because of distance control. Determine how hard you want a putt to enter the hole before you choose where you want the putt to enter the hole.

5. Be careful with what stats you use to determine a putting performance. There are days where I have 34 putts in a round and putted great, and there are days where I had 27 and putted poor.

6. Lastly, be realistic. PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS make about 50% of their 8 foot putts. On PERFECT greens. You will not do that. Putting is very mental, so just because you missed a putt, doesn't mean you suck. You need to believe that you're going to make the next one.

• Like 3

Tons of great info in this thread. My response is going to be more blunt. Find a mallet putter that you like and stick to it.

I know this sounds harsh. But, like you, I struggle immensely with my putting and confidence on the greens. I've tried EVERYTHING over the years . . . grip, arm-lock, stance . . . and I have a fairly large putter collection to pull from. My first love has always been beautiful Anser style putters and never gave a mallet a chance.

Then I had a coach tell me to get a mallet instead. I remember the first time I rolled the Odyssey Ten Triple Track and a light went off. This thing practically makes the stroke for you and the MOI is crazy good. My short putts started falling much more and my confidence increased immensely. Todays mallets are so well balanced and forgiving that I feel like all weekend players should use one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

This drill. 

FA503F0F-531F-444A-9255-1CE6CC7A51DE.jpeg

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 12/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, metaldog said:

Grinded on my technique for a 1.5 years, but i somehow just couldn't get my putting "really finalized", had an epiphany moment to try something with toe hang like an iron (basically toe down) since I'm used to that feeling of torque, and face balanced and plumber 45 degree toe hang wants to torque on you in the backswing, once I changed to a slant neck putting has become so much easier...

I still can't read greens and get speed down though 😄

Not quite sure where you're going here but all (conventional) putters "want to torque" during the swing.

But the problem I think I see here is the putter doesn't twist nearly as hard or as far as an iron does. You're taking a full swing with the iron and the face points all over the place and there is significant twisting of the head on the shaft, especially in the hitting zone.

There is nowhere near the same pressure/twisting going on during a putting stroke.

I expect you putt with a fairly strong gated stroke, yes ? Crenshaw was one of the best ever and he used the toe down 8802 type of putter and he had a strong gated stroke.

But I can't think of a single Tour player that plays that kind of putter or putts with that kind of stroke. And if they can't (won't) do it, what chance do we amateurs have ?

The vast majority of putters, especially amateurs, try to go straight back and through. Regardless of your body "wanting" to rotate slightly, SBST is the easiest method to "perfect" (assuming perfect is possible of course - which it ain't :classic_laugh:)

But what works best for you,,,,,,,, is the right way,,,,,,,,,, for you. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

7 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

1. You can be a bad putter with a good stroke, but you cant be a good putter with a bad stroke. And by bad "stroke", I mean a consistent one that returns the face to square at impact.

(which leads to 2)

2. Use a putting mirror or putting gates like the pelz putting tutor on the practice green. Do it. Now.

3. If you're struggling with choosing a putter, I recommend a square or fang style putter and not an anser style. The shape of, say, a spider x or odyssey 10 will help align the putter to the intended target at address. (Which btw, is EXTREMELY important.)

4. Most bad putters are bad putters because of distance control. Determine how hard you want a putt to enter the hole before you choose where you want the putt to enter the hole.

5. Be careful with what stats you use to determine a putting performance. There are days where I have 34 putts in a round and putted great, and there are days where I had 27 and putted poor.

6. Lastly, be realistic. PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS make about 50% of their 8 foot putts. On PERFECT greens. You will not do that. Putting is very mental, so just because you missed a putt, doesn't mean you suck. You need to believe that you're going to make the next one.

1) Huh ?

3) Here's a great, though long-ish, read on the shape of a putter and how it affects our aim.

I've linked to it before. It's done by a WRXer who's clearly put a lot of time and effort into it.

Mallets are more forgiving and blades seem more "precise"; at least for me.

The new(er) breed of torque balanced putters (L.A.B., Edel and Axis) are terrific. As I mentioned in my previous post, all conventional putters want to twist, even if just a little bit. And we have to "correct/stop/control that twisting.

These newer torque balanced putters do NOT want to twist, hence the "torque balancing". Whatever the club does is YOUR doing; it's not the putter wanting to "do" something you'd rather not do.

After almost a year of putting problems I've gone to the Axis 1 Tour and so far (about 8 rounds) I'm loving it.

Here's the thread----->  Putter Shape and its Effects on Aim Bias

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

1) Huh ?

3) Here's a great, though long-ish, read on the shape of a putter and how it affects our aim.

I've linked to it before. It's done by a WRXer who's clearly put a lot of time and effort into it.

Mallets are more forgiving and blades seem more "precise"; at least for me.

The new(er) breed of torque balanced putters (L.A.B., Edel and Axis) are terrific. As I mentioned in my previous post, all conventional putters want to twist, even if just a little bit. And we have to "correct/stop/control that twisting.

These newer torque balanced putters do NOT want to twist, hence the "torque balancing". Whatever the club does is YOUR doing; it's not the putter wanting to "do" something you'd rather not do.

After almost a year of putting problems I've gone to the Axis 1 Tour and so far (about 8 rounds) I'm loving it.

Here's the thread----->  Putter Shape and its Effects on Aim Bias

1. "And by bad "stroke", I mean a consistent one that returns the face to square at impact." I wrote that weird. The thought was right, execution of putting it into words was flawed. I was trying to specify that when I talk about having a good "stroke", I'm talking about face angle at impact. Slow motion video and club data shows that face angle is the main factor for hitting putts straight. You could have a loopy crazy putting stroke and come at the ball from 10° inside (trust me I've seen some crazy ones), but as long as you impact the ball with a face angle of 0°, the ball will go straight. Your stroke doesn't have to look like Rickie Fowler's to make putts. AND, if your stroke looks exactly like Rickie Fowler's, you're not guaranteed to make putts.

Good thread. Interesting stuff. Not exact science, small sample size, full of opinion, but still interesting.

I don't fall for the marketing hype of the "torque balancing". Any torque created by the stroke is easily negated by just gripping the club. The forces are not substantial enough to cause twisting and turning. But if the putter works for you, stick with it.

• Like 1

For me switching to a face balanced putter with an alignment line on the top in the last year or so has me hitting my lines far more often. I feel so much more confidence in knowing that my aim is pretty much spot on and i just have to focus on speed and making a solid strike. I used to think that face balanced putters, especially mallets, were for high handicappers and never considered them. What a doof! 

Driver - TaylorMade Sim 2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70

3 Wood - TaylorMade '17 M1 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80

3 UI - Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 19* w/ True Temper XP 115

Irons - Srixon Z-785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50/12* + SM7 54/14* + SM8 58/12*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X Yellow 

2 things have helped me:

1.  Getting my eyes over the ball

2.  Using a SuperStroke grip with no taper

The no-taper grip lets me get set up with my eyes over the ball before I grip the club, whether the stance is side-hill, uphill, downhill, etc., without any awkward feelings from having my hands on the "wrong" part of the grip.

On 12/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, isitour said:

Interesting video on alignments and how your set up can make your eyes trick you

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

Like the video above, and my only add is that using a Seemore putter has gotten me to set up the same way every time for putts.  Even use it to practice the stroke by hiding the dot.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF