2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG 0317 CB Irons

BirdieBob

Been enjoying the CBs when I've been striking them well, setup has gotten a bit lazy at times.

The ball flight has been high but piercing with a gentle right to left fade That just kinda turns over. 

Spin wise usually find the pitch mark probably within 10ft of my ball depending on the greens which makes distance into the greens easier. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

13 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

There is a new iron coming in the 0317 line.... just saying 🙂

Like this?

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

12 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I'm a few thousand balls into my CBs. Hands down, the CBs are the best feeling irons I've played. Often, I hit a ball and in my head think "Wow, that felt insane." I have played the last gen T100, ZX7, and ZX5, the CBs feel soooo good I have no interest going back. Also, the CB fit my eye perfectly. I love everything about them...blade length, toe, topline & transition into the heel (big one for me). They are an awesome set of sticks. 

The feeling is seductive and the CBs are staying in the bag. Whether that's good for my game, we'll see. Forgiveness wise I'd say these are between the T100 & ZX7, while being noticeably more demanding than the ZX5. Compared to the ZX5 an equivalent bad strike with the CBs will fall 15 yards short compared to maybe 10 with the more forgiving Srixon. I had played the ZX5 a lot before the CBs and became quite spoiled with the ease of use. In general, I think the CBs are for a 10-12 hcp aspiring to be single digits and lower. 

This week is my annual guys golf trip, and we have 5 rounds on the docket. I'll report back after I see how these sticks perform under pressure. I'm expecting good things.

Good post, but I think maybe their target CB golfer is maybe a little bit better than you suggest. 

I’ve noticed many of the OEMs are suggesting much stricter handicap ranges for their clubs this year, and it seems like the industry is moving towards recommending more forgiveness. 

Never seen so many sets with a ‘Tour/Elite Amateur’ type recommendation. 

I hope these come with a 3i. Could replace my Gen4 3-4 with them if they do. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

PXG 0317 X (18*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (3-4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

3-4i ST Heads? Sign me up... LOL I like the 3-4CBs though.... but another golf purchase just to mess around?

Isn't that why we all joined here?

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I ordered a set of the CBs from the PXG store on the bay. 4-G for $723 with free shipping. I couldn’t say no!

They were listed as “good” so I’m hoping they exceed that rating as many others have stated. 

I can’t wait to hit them!

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

40 minutes ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

I ordered a set of the CBs from the PXG store on the bay. 4-G for $723 with free shipping. I couldn’t say no!

They were listed as “good” so I’m hoping they exceed that rating as many others have stated. 

That’s one hell of a deal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hot Rod 71 said:

Oh so you’re the one. I’d been watching those and having a tough time justifying them.  Maybe I’ll buy them when you’re done with them! 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Has anyone noticed the soles of this clubs nick up more than most?   Have about 20 rounds on mine and the soles look like I’ve been hitting in the desert.  

Faces and backs look fine.  No wear marks are bag chatter in those.

Mine just show normal wear. I got a little of bag chatter. The heads are just soft. I ended up getting a ogio silencer bag.I couldnt do head covers.My clubs stay on my cart all the time tho.

8620 steel is a bit softer, but it is very strong. So nicks are going to be common, yet it won't hurt the integrity of the club. It is a popular choice because of both durability and ease of machining.

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Just got back from the annual golf trip with the boys. The CBs were a joy to play. The most impressive aspect to me was the consistency. Shots launch, carry, and spin very similar every time. Never once did I get a flier, and bad shots lost an appropriate amount of distance. I was never surprised by the results. Overall, PXG did a great job with the CBs. If you want a nice low tech forged iron do yourself a favor and check them out. 

• Like 4

Agree.  And consistent with my fitting in late April.  Unfortunately my meniscus completely snapped and I had surgery to piece it back together.  Just started playing 9’s (luckily it’s the back leg in my swing).  But, the 7i in the P’s was going about 183-4 with misses that were long left rockets over 195.  The CBs were consistently at 177-8 and misses were straight but a bit short.  And the feel was amazing.

Now that I’ve had to wait, I think I’ll see what the Mizuno forged and upcoming 243/245 feel like and of course the Titleist T150/T200.

3 hours ago, dlovage said:

Field report today. Context: I've been testing every iron known to man over the last year (Miura CB-302, Titleist T150, Cobra King Tour, P770, ZX5/ZX7, JPX923 Forged, etc etc). Ive the 0317 CBs since they came out and love playing them as a Sunday half set but today took them out for the first time as a full set for 18. Wow. Shot my lowest round ever and just *really* love how they feel. My playing partners today 'ooo'd' and 'ah'd' a couple of times, even noting that "you can really hear the compression on those things." They feel amazing and interact with the turf incredibly well. They are in a tight race with the Cobras (another stellar - and very surprising - contender). In true club bro fashion, I may sell my current CB set and buy them again with the right specs. I would say they are the most comfortable feeling set I own right now (i.e. if all sh*t hits the fan, I'll pull them out and feel very safe). I'll also need to bend them 2 strong because they did come up a bit short compared to the other player's distance irons I've been testing. Love these things!

I bought a used set to try out as well.  I wanted just a little more distance too.  So, I took them to PXG and had them do a spec check.  Everything was standard settings.  Since I only play 7-Gw, I had them adjust the lofts as follows:

7i - 2* strong (33* -> 31*)

8i - 2* strong (37* -> 35*)

9i - 2* strong (42* -> 40*)

Pw - 1* strong (46* -> 45*)

Gw -  no change (50*)

I’ve only had them on the course once since having them adjusted.  But, they seem perfectly matched to the gapping and distances I’m used to with the Gen 5T.  I play those 1* strong (31*, 35*, 40*, 45*, 50*).

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I bought a used set to try out as well.  I wanted just a little more distance too.  So, I took them to PXG and had them do a spec check.  Everything was standard settings.  Since I only play 7-Gw, I had them adjust the lofts as follows:

7i - 2* strong (33* -> 31*)

8i - 2* strong (37* -> 35*)

9i - 2* strong (42* -> 40*)

Pw - 1* strong (46* -> 45*)

Gw -  no change (50*)

I’ve only had them on the course once since having them adjusted.  But, they seem perfectly matched to the gapping and distances I’m used to with the Gen 5T.  I play those 1* strong (31*, 35*, 40*, 45*, 50*).

That’s good to hear. I’m likely going to have them bent 2 degree to do a true head to head.

13 hours ago, jwes93 said:

Agree.  And consistent with my fitting in late April.  Unfortunately my meniscus completely snapped and I had surgery to piece it back together.  Just started playing 9’s (luckily it’s the back leg in my swing).  But, the 7i in the P’s was going about 183-4 with misses that were long left rockets over 195.  The CBs were consistently at 177-8 and misses were straight but a bit short.  And the feel was amazing.

Now that I’ve had to wait, I think I’ll see what the Mizuno forged and upcoming 243/245 feel like and of course the Titleist T150/T200.

My t150/200 blended set is on its way. Longer wait time on the 150s hoping to get the 200s soon. I wanted the forgiveness and distance of the 200s vs my 0317s. So went 5-9 200s pw/gw 150s. 

Interesting take.  I bought the T150, T350 and T200 thinking I’d change over from PXG 0317/0311 G6 combo I’ve been playing.  .  I’m now questioning my purchase having the T150 combo in the bag for little over 2 weeks now,  however experimenting with combo’ing a couple of clubs now into my 0317 lineup.  The new Titleist line is nice but I’m finding I get better results with my PXG 0317’s depending on the shot.    Feel is almost identical, PXG slightly softer but seem to get more out of the PXG line distance wise but again depending on the shot its good/bad.  The 0317’s I feel are much more forgiving especially when trying to bang one out of rough.  I’m finding they just play better.  I definitely get less face twist with PXG, could be the perimeter weighting they have.  When hit pure the Titieist feels very very good, sort, crisp, higher ball flight, steeper descent angles than the 0317 but it’s a pillow fight.  The T150’s I’m producing tremendous back spin when attacking greens compared to the 0317’s, much more.  Again, good/bad.    The T350 is a cannon, easy to hit off deck but compared to my Gen 6 0311 XP which I have in the bag (1 club) that’s a toss up.  Titleist simply launch much higher for me than my PXG’s which depending on the shot can be a good thing but on others it’s not.  T200 (1 club) is very very good.  Probably keep that in the bag.  Tinkering now to see which clubs I’ll keep which is fun.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Interesting take.  I bought the T150, T350 and T200 thinking I’d change over from PXG 0317/0311 G6 combo I’ve been playing.  .  I’m now questioning my purchase having the T150 combo in the bag for little over 2 weeks now,  however experimenting with combo’ing a couple of clubs now into my 0317 lineup.  The new Titleist line is nice but I’m finding I get better results with my PXG 0317’s depending on the shot.    Feel is almost identical, PXG slightly softer but seem to get more out of the PXG line distance wise but again depending on the shot its good/bad.  The 0317’s I feel are much more forgiving especially when trying to bang one out of rough.  I’m finding they just play better.  I definitely get less face twist with PXG, could be the perimeter weighting they have.  When hit pure the Titieist feels very very good, sort, crisp, higher ball flight, steeper descent angles than the 0317 but it’s a pillow fight.  The T150’s I’m producing tremendous back spin when attacking greens compared to the 0317’s, much more.  Again, good/bad.    The T350 is a cannon, easy to hit off deck but compared to my Gen 6 0311 XP which I have in the bag (1 club) that’s a toss up.  Titleist simply launch much higher for me than my PXG’s which depending on the shot can be a good thing but on others it’s not.  T200 (1 club) is very very good.  Probably keep that in the bag.  Tinkering now to see which clubs I’ll keep which is fun.

That is super interesting. My final came down to the T150s and the CB's. I went with the T150s and am having buyers regret and I don't even have them yet.  I went back and forth for a couple weeks. 

I am recently back into golf, 20 year hiatus and used to hit Top-Flite LT grind blades. For some reason when I finally decided on the T150's it was a partial, "Let's just go with a more proven and establed company and tech.".  Not sure why I did that. I bought my son a set of the Gen5 P's.  I am certainly not good enough yet for blades, not even close but my mind thinks I am where when I left off at 20. 

I can't return the T150's and am sad. Somehow I just need to accept and roll with them even though the CB's are stuck in my mind. This thread is not helping. 

Driver - Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 8o w/ Metaflex 6H

Woods - Sub 70 949x w/Freeflex UT

Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Modus 3 X softstepped, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com, Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ Metaflex ix90

GEOM Combo CB/MB w/ Modus 3S special matte black 2019 shafts, custom BB&FCo ferrules and No1 Grips

Wedges - Joe Kwok custom 48° S grind, 53° H grind, 58° D grind w/ Modus 3 wedge shafts, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com😁

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Carbon shaft but looking for something else.

Golf Ball - Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour X, Mizuno RBX

Bag - Ping Hoofer and Nevr Looz Cart bag (best bag ever!!!!)

23 minutes ago, onyxwulf said:

That is super interesting. My final came down to the T150s and the CB's. I went with the T150s and am having buyers regret and I don't even have them yet.  I went back and forth for a couple weeks. 

I am recently back into golf, 20 year hiatus and used to hit Top-Flite LT grind blades. For some reason when I finally decided on the T150's it was a partial, "Let's just go with a more proven and establed company and tech.".  Not sure why I did that. I bought my son a set of the Gen5 P's.  I am certainly not good enough yet for blades, not even close but my mind thinks I am where when I left off at 20. 

I can't return the T150's and am sad. Somehow I just need to accept and roll with them even though the CB's are stuck in my mind. This thread is not helping. 

The t150s are a great club im sure you will like them after you play them.Ever ones game is different.They didnt out perform my cb but there were still a decent iron. They just have a high ball flight and spin more then the cb in my hands.They are also alot smaller in person compared to cb.The sole design is great tho.

• Thanks 1

Honestly they’re both great irons.  I took my new T150’s and my 0317’s out for 9 today, testing testing testing side by side.  It’s a total pillow fight.  I love the feel and look of both.  T150 unquestionably was a higher flight and spun back more on greens.  There was zero loss of distance between either,I absolutely love the feel of both.  If I were blindfolded and hit both 7 irons pure, my gut would say the T150 felt better (for me) but it’s all personal.   Way I look at it, simple.  Enjoy the new sticks regardless and just wait for Gen 7’s to come out and start testing them.   win win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1