PXG 0317 CB Irons

BirdieBob

1 hour ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Honestly they’re both great irons.  I took my new T150’s and my 0317’s out for 9 today, testing testing testing side by side.  It’s a total pillow fight.  I love the feel and look of both.  T150 unquestionably was a higher flight and spun back more on greens.  There was zero loss of distance between either,I absolutely love the feel of both.  If I were blindfolded and hit both 7 irons pure, my gut would say the T150 felt better (for me) but it’s all personal.   Way I look at it, simple.  Enjoy the new sticks regardless and just wait for Gen 7’s to come out and start testing them.   win win. 

Had a few minutes at a Big Box today.  Tried the T200 and T150.  Didn’t like the 200.  The T150 reminded me completely of the 0317 CB.  Love both but had a feeling that the CB might be better through the turf.  Different days, locations, mats, etc. so who knows but that was my impression.  Two more months to a healed knee enough to get a real fitting.  Looking forward to it.  Too bad those have to be separate fittings but that’s the deal.

2 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Honestly they’re both great irons.  I took my new T150’s and my 0317’s out for 9 today, testing testing testing side by side.  It’s a total pillow fight.  I love the feel and look of both.  T150 unquestionably was a higher flight and spun back more on greens.  There was zero loss of distance between either,I absolutely love the feel of both.  If I were blindfolded and hit both 7 irons pure, my gut would say the T150 felt better (for me) but it’s all personal.   Way I look at it, simple.  Enjoy the new sticks regardless and just wait for Gen 7’s to come out and start testing them.   win win. 

Now that is a great point. Wait for the 7's. I like that. 

Driver - Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 8o w/ Metaflex 6H

Woods - Sub 70 949x w/Freeflex UT

Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Modus 3 X softstepped, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com, Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ Metaflex ix90

GEOM Combo CB/MB w/ Modus 3S special matte black 2019 shafts, custom BB&FCo ferrules and No1 Grips

Wedges - Joe Kwok custom 48° S grind, 53° H grind, 58° D grind w/ Modus 3 wedge shafts, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com😁

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Carbon shaft but looking for something else.

Golf Ball - Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour X, Mizuno RBX

Bag - Ping Hoofer and Nevr Looz Cart bag (best bag ever!!!!)

2 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Double post 🤪

Edited by onyxwulf

Iron's - Titleist T150 4-PW w/ Modus 3 X softstepped, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com, Ping iCrossover 2 - 18o w/ Metaflex ix90

GEOM Combo CB/MB w/ Modus 3S special matte black 2019 shafts, custom BB&FCo ferrules and No1 Grips

Wedges - Joe Kwok custom 48° S grind, 53° H grind, 58° D grind w/ Modus 3 wedge shafts, finish done by Jason at txcustomgolf.com😁

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #14 35" w/ BGT Stability Carbon shaft but looking for something else.

1 hour ago, SofaKingPure said:

Just got my t200/150 set. Went back to steel shafts vs the Steelfibers in my 0317s. I really like the t series. After one range session they might push out the 0317s. Clearly not the same style of iron. I wanted a little more distance 

Interesting, I'm curious to see how a couple more sessions will make you feel. 

8 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

Well, they 0317 T dropped today!  I’m planning to hit them tomorrow to consider grabbing a 4/5 or maybe 6 to combo up with the CB…

Please share your thoughts. Interested in similar combo. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 9/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, Soccerrick10 said:

Maybe we should start an 0317 T topic?

Anyway, I just ordered mine. 

Maybe. 

Edited by ConstantineJr79

Titleist TSi3

TEE C722 Hybrid 2-3-4

Maltby TE+ V4 5-G

Maltby Max Milled 54/60

Odyssey RX1 

27 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

@dmeeksDC @xGameOver

I will also post this in the 0317T thread.

Just got back from my "demo" of the new 0317T irons.  I call it a demo since I had a formal fitting only a few weeks ago for my 0317 CB.  At the time, the fitter didn't know these were coming, so he asked me to come back in and give them a whirl.

Once you see them, you'll understand why they changed the T from the 0311 to the 0317.  The club, and in particular the sole, is sleeker than the 0311 line and akin to the 0317 line.  I took some pictures beside my 0317 CB (black) below.  They feel good, but not like the CB, which is to be expected in a hollow body vs. forged CB.

Stat wise, they blend wonderfully with the CB.  Below you can see the stats for my 7 irons as a middle aged 6 handicap player with no time to practice that plays about 18 holes a week - take that for what it's worth.  I hit 15 with each the CB and T, as well as my 223 (which is also multi-materiel construction in the 7 iron). Bear in mind my CB is 33* and both the T and 223 are 32* at the 7 iron.

I would say the T are marginally more forgiving than the CB, but I think you'd be hard pressed to see a much of a real world difference if you're good enough to strike the CB.  As you can see, the real difference is spin, and thus distance.  I'm clearly NOT a high spin player, so the added CB spin is great for me.  I have no desire to move form my CB to these, but I may very well pick up a 4/5 irons bent one degree weak.  We'll see...

All in all, a nice set.  Especially if you are shallow into the ball (like me, as you can see) because of the thin sole.  I suspect it's one of the thinnest soled hollow body clubs I've seen. 

IMG_3203.jpeg.f89565acdca144d3c39360a2a98de651.jpeg

IMG_3204.jpeg.69a6f5458a6af9445aab6c932752e92a.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg.df71e97682669446be5aebc3eee472d2.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg.4e2d4c1ccab93d47164a273ea9a0d4a1.jpeg

Man we have a really similar delivery and swing speed and this is exactly what I was hoping to see.  Play like a CB but go 5 yards further and thats exactly what these seem to do

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

Man we have a really similar delivery and swing speed and this is exactly what I was hoping to see.  Play like a CB but go 5 yards further and thats exactly what these seem to do

Pretty much exactly what it is.  They have a great look and a typical PXG feel.  I would say they give more feedback that prior T lines that I’ve played.  It’s a great iron for those looking to drop some spin or gain a little distance while retaining everything you want in a players iron.  The really cool thing is the numbers are almost identical sans spin.  No jumps in ball speed and I didn’t see any hot shots or low spin dippers.

I do wonder if I would have gone all T had they come out when I did my CB fitting…I’m pretty sure I would have gone combo right from the start but as it sits now, I’ll give the CB long irons some more time and decide over the winter.

Edited by CC Stryder

Happen to be in Arlington for work so I scheduled an iron fitting at the Fairfax PXG tomorrow morning. My best friend is an ambassador so he’s got me line up with the head fitter but looks like I’ll be able to test the new T. So pumped. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

55 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

@dmeeksDC @xGameOver

Just got back from my "demo" of the new 0317T irons.  I call it a demo since I had a formal fitting only a few weeks ago for my 0317 CB.  At the time, the fitter didn't know these were coming, so he asked me to come back in and give them a whirl.

Once you see them, you'll understand why they changed the T from the 0311 to the 0317.  The club, and in particular the sole, is sleeker than the 0311 line and akin to the 0317 line.  I took some pictures beside my 0317 CB (black) below.  They feel good, but not like the CB, which is to be expected in a hollow body vs. forged CB.

Stat wise, they blend wonderfully with the CB.  Below you can see the stats for my 7 irons as a middle aged 6 handicap player with no time to practice that plays about 18 holes a week - take that for what it's worth.  I hit 15 with each the CB and T, as well as my 223 (which is also multi-materiel construction in the 7 iron). Bear in mind my CB is 33* and both the T and 223 are 32* at the 7 iron.

I would say the T are marginally more forgiving than the CB, but I think you'd be hard pressed to see a much of a real world difference if you're good enough to strike the CB.  As you can see, the real difference is spin, and thus distance.  I'm clearly NOT a high spin player, so the added CB spin is great for me.  I have no desire to move form my CB to these, but I may very well pick up a 4/5 irons bent one degree weak.  We'll see...

All in all, a nice set.  Especially if you are shallow into the ball (like me, as you can see) because of the thin sole.  I suspect it's one of the thinnest soled hollow body clubs I've seen. 

50* landing angle and picked up 5 yds carry with a slower club head speed.  That seems perfect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CC Stryder said:

Pretty much exactly what it is.  They have a great look and a typical PXG feel.  I would say they give more feedback that prior T lines that I’ve played.  It’s a great iron for those looking to drop some spin or gain a little distance while retaining everything you want in a players iron.  The really cool thing is the numbers are almost identical sans spin.  No jumps in ball speed and I didn’t see any hot shots or low spin dippers.

I do wonder if I would have gone all T had they come out when I did my CB fitting…I’m pretty sure I would have gone combo right from the start but as it sits now, I’ll give the CB long irons some more time and decide over the winter.

Have you hit cobra king tour ? Wonder how they compare 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, CC Stryder said:

@dmeeksDC @xGameOver

I am surprised that the T had such low spin as it is supposedly designed to have "increased spin".  Not seeing that in these numbers.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Have a set of the 317cb's....love the look, softness, etc 

but

Not sure I am "good" enough to play them.......

Gaming the Cobra Kingtours for now 4-pw 

am I wrong in thinking.....this could be ideal..go 317 T in 4,5,6 and 7,8,9,P in the cb's

wouldn't that solve all my issues and be golden?????

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

4 hours ago, CC Stryder said:

@dmeeksDC @xGameOver

Really good to see the impressive numbers and a nice detailed writeup. Thank you. My takeaways:

1. If you strengthen the loft on the T by 1 degree to match the CB, the two heads would be closer in spin. You don’t need to based on shot height and descent angle. Look good there. Either will stop on a green for you. But based on your session you have no reason to buy the T. And as you know, you don’t need one. 😏

2. My read on the intended spin profile is that the new T is supposed to spin more than the previous T, but should still be the lowest spin vs the CB and ST.  They’re offering easy options to get the head or heads that optimize spin and distance for anyone. 

3. The T’s mishit forgiveness advantage is likely to show up more over time, but perhaps not for players like you who play the CB just as well. I tend to be fine with most heads 6-P and will go for the surest thing I can stomach once I reach 5 iron. Your comment on how the CB’s feel is still better than the T is one I noted. That’s big to me. 

They blend very well. I like the size and shape. Making the T sleeker is a big improvement. If I get numbers like yours I would just get the CB and maybe, maybe, try one T at my longest iron. But I’d only do that if it is more consistent on distance and the gapping help is needed. Look forward to more reviews. I think this 0317 lineup is hitting a sweet spot for a lot of golfers. Clean and mean.  

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

49 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Really good to see the impressive numbers and a nice detailed writeup. Thank you. My takeaways:

1. If you strengthen the loft on the T by 1 degree to match the CB, the two heads would be closer in spin. You don’t need to based on shot height and descent angle. Look good there. Either will stop on a green for you. But based on your session you have no reason to buy the T. And as you know, you don’t need one. 😏

2. My read on the intended spin profile is that the new T is supposed to spin more than the previous T, but should still be the lowest spin vs the CB and ST.  They’re offering easy options to get the head or heads that optimize spin and distance for anyone. 

3. The T’s mishit forgiveness advantage is likely to show up more over time, but perhaps not for players like you who play the CB just as well. I tend to be fine with most heads 6-P and will go for the surest thing I can stomach once I reach 5 iron. Your comment on how the CB’s feel is still better than the T is one I noted. That’s big to me. 

They blend very well. I like the size and shape. Making the T sleeker is a big improvement. If I get numbers like yours I would just get the CB and maybe, maybe, try one T at my longest iron. But I’d only do that if it is more consistent on distance and the gapping help is needed. Look forward to more reviews. I think this 0317 lineup is hitting a sweet spot for a lot of golfers. Clean and mean.  

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  I’m used to playing 223 so I’m still trying to adjust to my 5 iron being a 185 club instead of a 193ish club (2 degrees more loft and more spin).

Had the T been available when I got fit I probably would have went T in the 5/6 bent one weak so they’d be one stronger than the CB with a little less spin for the long irons.  I’m annoyed, but I’ll live.  I may end up ordering the T’s anyway just to have.  We’ll see…

32 minutes ago, Morry said:

Have a set of the 317cb's....love the look, softness, etc 

but

Not sure I am "good" enough to play them.......

Gaming the Cobra Kingtours for now 4-pw 

am I wrong in thinking.....this could be ideal..go 317 T in 4,5,6 and 7,8,9,P in the cb's

wouldn't that solve all my issues and be golden?????

The CBs are more forgiving than maybe some folks give them credit, but the Ts should be more so. Yet, I would look inward for the answer to your question because only you can answer it.

How well do you strike your current clubs? How well did you strike the CBs? You liked them, so what gives you second thoughts?

Finally, 1 year from now, which purchase do you think you'd be happiest with? That's what really matters; not what other people think about whether or not you're "good enough" to hit CBs.

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

So here is the trackman data from my fitting today. I only hit the T and CB, but tried several shafts and several weights. Kind of knew my shaft going in but went back-and-forth between the C Taper 130 and the project X6.5 and there is definitely something about the feel of the project x that agrees with me. Overall numbers were pretty similar with both. What really surprised me was with the ability to change swing weights and the difference it made. it’s not anything I had ever really addressed, I have just always played a higher swing weight iron because of my specs at +1/2 inch but being able to get the 4 g weight in and keep the swing weight at D2 as opposed to D5ish with the 8 g weight really made a difference.

IMG_8220.png

IMG_8221.png

IMG_8222.png

• Like 2

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Some good data and expected results considering the T is 1* stronger than the 33* CB.

Take your pick!

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope