PXG 0317 CB Irons

BirdieBob

On 7/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, ilikegolf26 said:

How do these compare to Apex TCB?

I just did a head to head with tcb and the cb.  8 and 4 irons.  

cb has px lz 6.5, tcb has px 6.5.

In general.  Cb’s are softer and stock shot flights lower.  Forgiveness goes to cb just due to sheer size.  Hitting them side by side the tcb are a visually smaller head.

club specific

8 iron distances were within 5 yards, with the longer carry going to cb.  Tcb looks to spin a bit more.  I will say barring a mishit, the tcb seemed to be more accurate, meaning on a well struck shot the ball was within a ten foot radius of my target (165 yard shot).  Cb seemed to be a bit larger circle.

4 iron distance went to tcb.  More penetrating  flight and higher flight.  Probably by 10+ yards. Interesting given the it was the opposite on the short iron.  Cb was easier to hit consistently and overall dispersion was better.  Well struck shot the tcb was once again more accurate.

Both are great irons. Tcb probably gives you more control of the ball but you need to put a good swing on it.   Cb are probably better for most of us as it  minimizes misses when swing is off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, Cactus Jack said:

My TXG built babies came in today. Off to test them, but here are a few pics and comparison to the Srixon ZX 5s. 

IMG_8946.jpeg.d1ec95fdb06004adc4bd126eade150d5.jpeg

IMG_8947.jpeg.34cc041badd8ba185f8be6523c99f5d0.jpeg

Compared to the ZX5 the CBs have a much narrower sole, shaper toe, and slightly shorter blade length. The top line is pretty darn close, which I like…find it more confidence inspiring compared to something like a T100. 

IMG_8952.jpeg.cba49314c11e71844017f3db0aef8184.jpegIMG_8953.jpeg.16bfa63a198cd2e17769636df72d8a90.jpegIMG_8954.jpeg.53ac75531f79846ebdbe40b4539180a3.jpegIMG_8955.jpeg.9a9415e6562eeb3d58eacc7a360f4211.jpeg

3 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Lol can't wait to see all the people in here that say "best irons I've ever hit" using 150s in a month from this comparison video. 

Isn't that what everyone does when they get their new irons, Oh these are the best irons I've ever hit. Well TXG doesn't play favorites as the T-150's just might be the best irons and if they are so what

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

36 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Isn't that what everyone does when they get their new irons, Oh these are the best irons I've ever hit. Well TXG doesn't play favorites as the T-150's just might be the best irons and if they are so what

All I did was make a comment my friend! Nothing wrong with it. No reason to get upset at my comment. I do it too, hence why I have a set of CB on the way. 

2 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

I too saw Ians vid yesterday.  He changes clubs like underwear.  I am curious to see the entire video on 8/3.  Going to take a lot to get my CB’s outta my hands.  Definitely not this year.  I gamed Titleist years ago and always felt hard and squirmy for me.

After watching the video, my gut says the T150s are 2* stronger than the CBs. The speed difference makes sense if that’s the case. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Lol can't wait to see all the people in here that say "best irons I've ever hit" using 150s in a month from this comparison video. 

No doubt those irons will be epic, and everyone will let us know 🙂.  

I’ve always been a FOMO equipment guy. I’ve since realized everything is good. My focus is finding loft progressions which allow me to create a balanced bag. 

3 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

No doubt those irons will be epic, and everyone will let us know 🙂.  

I’ve always been a FOMO equipment guy. I’ve since realized everything is good. My focus is finding loft progressions which allow me to create a balanced bag. 

It's awesome how much we trust Ian and txg. They've personally made decisions for my iron choice. I've never been a titleist person but the CB is on the way because of them and now I'm interested in the 150s.

you start to realize every company makes great stuff, just feels and performs a little different. Interested to see if the CB can kick out my zx7. 

3 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Yeah I know as my comment was what I said, it’s something everyone likes to say when they get new irons, am I right?

• Haha 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

7 hours ago, toastinato said:

It's awesome how much we trust Ian and txg. They've personally made decisions for my iron choice. I've never been a titleist person but the CB is on the way because of them and now I'm interested in the 150s.

you start to realize every company makes great stuff, just feels and performs a little different. Interested to see if the CB can kick out my zx7. 

Had t100's and HATED Them ...lol

so you can take the t150 and put it where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned 

Zero interest 

have these cb's in waiting while my swing syncs up better - gaming cobra king tour in the interim 

• Confused 2

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

20 minutes ago, Morry said:

Had t100's and HATED Them ...lol

so you can take the t150 and put it where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned 

Zero interest 

have these cb's in waiting while my swing syncs up better - gaming cobra king tour in the interim 

Seriously take the t150 and put them where the sun don't shine, real mature pal, of course you're upset when the t150's outperformed the cb's that you're waiting on. You can have zero interest but do you really have to be an Funny Animals Donkey GIF by Storyful One of the dumbest comments I've heard about a brand that hasn't even been released yet to the public. No wonder why so many people on FB Hero's for PXG have so many negative things to say now about PXG.  You may not have liked or as you say hated the t100's but to tell people who might really like Titleist what to do is so messed up. Next thing is you're going to tell us after being so disrespectful to fellow golfers on these forums you were also a veteran in the Military. Why so much hate?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whoa, whoa whoa, easy easy here fellas.   I’m actually looking forward to testing the new T100,150, 200 and 350 when they launch and curious to read up on the tech Titleist has in them when embargo lifts on 8/3.  I love testing new stuff, it’s fun.   I also used to be a diehard Ap2 loyalist for many years and never changed into the T100 when they launched that line, it just did nothing for me at the time, who knows, maybe after the dust settles and my club has the new Titleist in the pro shop I’ll take a couple of clubs to the range with our trackman and spend an hour dialing into shots and just compare apples to apples.  Who knows…..  It’s all personally pref.   I’m just having a lot of fun and enjoyment now sticking pins and taking my friends money (again today) on my course with my PXG 0311P’s and 0317 CB combo set.  I love love love my clubs.    Our club champ who’s incredible to watch play,  he games an old and I mean OLD set of Mizuno irons that are all chewed up and he seems pretty content.  Have fun here.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 2

Just now, mtnbiker5 said:

Whoa, whoa whoa, easy easy here fellas.   I’m actually looking forward to testing the new T100,150, 200 and 350 when they launch and curious to read up on the tech Titleist has in them when embargo lifts on 8/3.  I love testing new stuff, it’s fun.   I also used to be a diehard Ap2 loyalist for many years and never changed into the T100 when they launched that.  It’s all personally pref.   I’m just having a lot of fun and enjoyment hitting pins and taking my friends money (again today) on my course with my PXG 0311P’s and 0317 CB combo set.  I love love love my clubs.   Have fun here.

Same here I too love testing new equipment as I remember well how much I loved those Ap2’s. Might look into the new Titleist but if I ever do make a switch it’s because I love trying new stuff out. I’ve had certain brands that have worked out better than others but I’m not going to hate on any one brand out there because of what I like to play. I’m all about the fun and hearing positive results 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Seriously take the t150 and put them where the sun don't shine, real mature pal, of course you're upset when the t150's outperformed the cb's that you're waiting on. You can have zero interest but do you really have to be an Funny Animals Donkey GIF by Storyful One of the dumbest comments I've heard about a brand that hasn't even been released yet to the public. No wonder why so many people on FB Hero's for PXG have so many negative things to say now about PXG.  You may not have liked or as you say hated the t100's but to tell people who might really like Titleist what to do is so messed up. Next thing is you're going to tell us after being so disrespectful to fellow golfers on these forums you were also a veteran in the Military. Why so much hate?

ohhh. a sophisticate - so exciting 

what now mighty altruist?

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 

2 minutes ago, Morry said:

ohhh. a sophisticate - so exciting 

what now mighty altruist?

Have the cbs already, if it wasn't clear 

You have a bleeding heart for something my man, but not Sure it's from Titliest ...

thanks for the post of the night 

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 

56 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Soon Ping will release the new Blueprints and Ian will then change to them.  Callaway will then release the new Apex and he’ll do a video of how they are the leading contender…on and on and on…….yawn.  I just love testing new products and see how what where there is a real difference in my clubs now.  Meanwhile, I just keep taking all my friends money.   Easy fellas.  Getting back to our PXG thread here, my pro played a few holes with me yesterday (before I won my little match amongst friends) and even he said the CB’s felt and played amazing and he’s a Taylormade guy if that matters.  All the new (and many old) products out there are good.  It all boils down to what feels and plays best for you.  It’s not the plane, its the pilot.

perfectly said

9 hours ago, Morry said:

Have the cbs already, if it wasn't clear 

You have a bleeding heart for something my man, but not Sure it's from Titliest ...

thanks for the post of the night 

Hate is a strong word! Lol. But to each their own, you're entitled to your opinion as well. As we all are. I'm just glad you found a set of irons that you love. I hope that one day I can settle on something! I receive my CB(7 iron) today and can't wait to test it out against my zx7s. I replaced my zx7 PW with a zforged as well so it'll take a lot to kick the zx7s out. Never know!

5 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Hate is a strong word! Lol. But to each their own, you're entitled to your opinion as well. As we all are. I'm just glad you found a set of irons that you love. I hope that one day I can settle on something! I receive my CB(7 iron) today and can't wait to test it out against my zx7s. I replaced my zx7 PW with a zforged as well so it'll take a lot to kick the zx7s out. Never know!

Can't wait to see your thoughts.  I literally had the OG Zx7s with a Zforged ii PW.  Haven't hit a ball with them since I got my CBs.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, realmfg said:

Can't wait to see your thoughts.  I literally had the OG Zx7s with a Zforged ii PW.  Haven't hit a ball with them since I got my CBs.

I replaced my ZX7 and zx5 split set with a 0317ST set and T 6 and 5 iron.  The only thing I missed about the Srixon's were the graphite shafts, that is in the process of being rectified.   I do really like the CB in the 6 iron I have sitting here, but I prefer the launch, height and spin of the T 6 iron over the 317CB.  I did try a 0317CB in the short irons and TBH they were not much more forgiving than the 0317ST blades.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

17 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

... I did try a 0317CB in the short irons and TBH they were not much more forgiving than the 0317ST blades.

Haven’t seen them up close, only in photos, but don’t the CBs have a progressive cavity? Isn’t it deeper in the long irons and then shallows out in the short irons? I quite like that, if so. 

8 hours ago, realmfg said:

Haha I'm excited! I love the feel of srixon. I always come back to them. I think they have that perfect combo of softness and firmness. Hopefully I can get out and test the CB tonight after work. Will keep you updated. 

• Like 2

I have px lz 6.5, not steelfiber, but I did strengthen the lofts a degree.  These clubs are the longest, non hollow or insert forged clubs I’ve ever hit.   I play at sea level and was hitting 9 irons 160 yards in 65 degree weather in this evenings rounds.    His is a full club longer than the t100s, tcb, and ping i210s and half club longer than the zx7 with and comes in with more spin.

they are keepers

• Like 1

I just wish my swing was in a good enough place to play the cb's properly...

I do hear great things about the t150 (launch, smoothness), but I am going to stick my plan to move from the current i230's to the cb's by end of season - they are Just too good ...I can hear them calling me....

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 

@realmfg Sooo I received my CB the other day in the mail. I only ordered the 7 iron to test. It was a quick test!! 

Let's just say the CB is on return😒 Nothing bad about it. I'll give a slight update of my testing below. 

So here is my thing, feel is a huge thing for me so normally in the first couple balls I can tell if an iron is going to have potential FOR ME. I hit about 10 balls side by side with my zx7 7 iron. I didn't love the CB. What I will say is the turf interaction is much better than zx7 in terms of taking a divot. I took some serious divots with the CB. BUT, the zx7 works better for my swing since I can get steep sometimes and the sole bails me out of trouble. It's tough for me to say how dispersion and spin was since it was just to my eye, but again, my zx7 perform as well as anything I'm hitting so even if it was slightly better, it wouldn't change much for my game. I've tried 3 sets of PXG because I really wanna love them but I manage to come back to srixon every single year. This is all opinion and my personal experience. I think the CB could fit about anyone that has decent ball striking skills. I enjoy my srixons so much that I ended up purchasing 2 more zforged irons to combo so now I'll have zforged from 8-P and zx7 from 4-7. Just my .02 and experience! 

• Like 1