2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG 0317 CB Irons

BirdieBob

11 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Will give an update after demo. So you must of thought the 0317cb was an upgrade? 

The iBlades and the 0317CB's look very much alike, with the CB'd having a slightly beveled training edge on the soles, where the iBlades were flat. The feel is similar. i210's too large and soles too wide. S55's had their day. 

I got 90% off the fitting with a PXG promo, so it cost me $5 for the fitting. I wanted to see what they looked like in person. I hit 75 balls with 4 different shafts, and ending up ordering them with the same shaft I currently use (Project X Cypher). 

I had a higher trajectory, more spin and tighter dispersion than my Mizuno JPX 825 Pro's and my Maltby TS-3 irons that are in rotation in my bag this year.

I like the look, square toe, very much iBlade looking, but forged feel and custom swing weighted. 

I think they have a 30 day return if I don't see improvements on the course, but I've hit enough sets of irons in my 62 years of golf, so when you know, you know.

73 years old, 7 handicap. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, toastinato said:

@realmfg being the wrx'er I am... I cancelled the return and am currently building the 7 iron CB to give it another go lol they look too good to only hit 10 balls with. Time for more testing!! 

I didn’t know they have demo test 7 irons. Good idea

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

On 7/27/2023 at 9:36 AM, Redpro said:

Am interested in your full feedback on this. I've played the S55's, i210's, iBlades . . . and the 0317CB's are on order now after a fitting. 

I posted a new thread with my club fitting data if you are still interested.

not sure what I’m going to do yet. 

• Like 2

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

Apparently my irons are done and have been just an email error I never got the notifications. Seeing if I can pick them up today or tomorrow. 

Edit: Yup they've been done 1.5 weeks. 

Edited by MattM97
  • Sad 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I was looking at these yesterday considering a mixed set between STs and CBs.

That said, by the time I'm ready to buy there will be new ones again... So I'm gonna wait.

I kind of have to... big purchases are barred right now until I finish building my garage...lol

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I wish I was consistent enough for these, after 4-5 rounds I have decided to go to the Gen 6 P's, enjoy your CB's guys they are beautiful but I just need the forgiveness and a shaft change these days to something a hair softer for when I do get to play these days! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56/60 Raw w/ LA Golf WV 115

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

Hit them this morning in the simulator to get some distances. Body wasn't moving the best, distance was down across the board but was getting a fairly consistent gap at 8-12 yards, still probably have to bend these a touch strong. I did like the consistent 5 yard roll out from my carry total, will make them very predictable on the course as long as I pair them with the right ball. 

Will get some on course testing/usage this week, hopefully I made the right choice with them. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I love my CBs but I currently add a too much dynamic loft and can't flight the ball down. This is 100% me, not the clubs, but with the traditional lofts I am getting 120'+ peak height with 50*+ decent angles. 

I'm thinking about strengthening the lofts 2* across the board. Has anyone ran into issues with turf interaction or anything else funky I should consider before having them bent? 

Received my CBs 20days ago.  Went in to get the STs from months prior research, but walked out with an order of the cbs, not even having tried the STs.

Took forever to like the feel of the gen5ts, and love then asidefrom the low spin I get.

The CBs are very nice, but they just don't do it for me. 

Trading them in for the STs next wk to see if it's what I'm looking for. Planning on  4,5iCB...6,7,8,9ST. 

I know there's not much difference between the cb vs st, but there is a difference! Just hoping this pxg ST set is what I'm looking for.

8 hours ago, SwingDevil34 said:

Received my CBs 20days ago.  Went in to get the STs from months prior research, but walked out with an order of the cbs, not even having tried the STs.

Took forever to like the feel of the gen5ts, and love then asidefrom the low spin I get.

The CBs are very nice, but they just don't do it for me. 

Trading them in for the STs next wk to see if it's what I'm looking for. Planning on  4,5iCB...6,7,8,9ST. 

I know there's not much difference between the cb vs st, but there is a difference! Just hoping this pxg ST set is what I'm looking for.

What don’t you like about the cb?

Edited by Pnwpingi210

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

What don’t you like about the cb?

I think its just the way they set up to my eye.  They look a bit chunky, to me.  and 2° flat looks way more flat than other pxg sets I've hit and owned.

On the flip side, the ST at standard, looks super upright to me, so a degree or 2 flat should fit my eye better. 

I have been out of the game for years, and always played blades my entire life.  I keep thinking that I need some kind of cavity back club, but its been almost a yr since my restart, and if it's not a blade then it feels clunky going through the strike zone. 

The CB or gen5t still ranks higher to me than almost all other camparable irons.(looks, feel, consistent #s)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SwingDevil34 said:

I think its just the way they set up to my eye.  They look a bit chunky, to me.  and 2° flat looks way more flat than other pxg sets I've hit and owned.

On the flip side, the ST at standard, looks super upright to me, so a degree or 2 flat should fit my eye better. 

I have been out of the game for years, and always played blades my entire life.  I keep thinking that I need some kind of cavity back club, but its been almost a yr since my restart, and if it's not a blade then it feels clunky going through the strike zone. 

The CB or gen5t still ranks higher to me than almost all other camparable irons.(looks, feel, consistent #s)

Funny you mention flat.  I just had my cb bent an additional 1.5 degrees upright from my standard.  Made a difference

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping for some insight fellas

I play the original p790s- I like them, but got the itch for something new and PXG has 75% off fittings, so why not?

I am around a 12 handicap, generally shoot mid 80s +/-

Yesterday I was fit at PXG and it appeared the 0317s were the fitters recommendation- they felt great, I did not lose much if any distance w "normal" lofts, and i tend to hit the ball low, so I loved the idea of playing these.  However, obviously I only hit a 7 iron

Everything I read before and after my fitting was that these clubs are true players irons and not very forgiving

Also just occurred to me that the fitter never determined my ideal lie (did not hit off the plastic board), is this common?  The few other fittings I have done, we always checked

The iron looks great, but I was surprised he even suggested I hit these.  My numbers were good, but I am a bit anxious about hitting 0317 long irons

Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, want2bpro said:

I play the original p790s- I like them, but got the itch for something new and PXG has 75% off fittings, so why not?

Yesterday I was fit at PXG and it appeared the 0317s were the fitters recommendation- they felt great, I did not lose much if any distance w "normal" lofts, and i tend to hit the ball low, so I loved the idea of playing these.  However, obviously I only hit a 7 iron

Everything I read before and after my fitting was that these clubs are true players irons and not very forgiving

Also just occurred to me that the fitter never determined my ideal lie (did not hit off the plastic board), is this common?  The few other fittings I have done, we always checked

The iron looks great, but I was surprised he even suggested I hit these.  My numbers were good, but I am a bit anxious about hitting 0317 long irons

Any thoughts? 

You say the 0317 irons.... CB or ST?  The CB would be a cavity back and the ST is a blade style.

The best comparison to the P790 would be the 0311P irons.  Try the Gen5 or 6 in those.  Same lofts as the P790 and much better feel.

Maybe the P in the 4, 5, 6 irons and the CB in the shorter irons?

Did you try those?

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Have gotten some use with the CBs not as much as I wish just bad weather and life. But enjoying them for sure, much nicer flight than my Z785s. Still getting used to the feel on them just have to swing easier and they go. 

I did hit the 7i from like 170 with a heavy right to left wind to 7ft so they are working so far. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I’m 8 rounds into the cbs.  They are fantastic irons.  

does anyone else notice the long irons while east to hit fly carry all that far?  I was playing tcb prior and a week stuck 4 and 5 carried 205 and 215.  I’ve noticed the the cbs the 5 is around 200, and the 4 goes about 5-8 longer.  Great flights, just seems to die.  ( the tcb lofts are a couple degrees ress weaker to add - and they aren’t know for distance)

I’ve noticed by CB’s obviously don’t fly as far as my 0311p’s but I only have CB in my shorter irons and that’s exactly what I wanted them to do.  They’re true clubs I didn’t want/need my 8-PW flying super hot filled with goo to the greens.  I went CB in shorter attack irons so they would shoot pure and stick like glue to the greens.  That bag above is hot.

Edited by mtnbiker5

25 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

I’ve noticed by CB’s obviously don’t fly as far as my 0311p’s but I only have CB in my shorter irons and that’s exactly what I wanted them to do.  They’re true clubs I didn’t want/need my 8-PW flying super hot filled with goo to the greens.  I went CB in shorter attack irons so they would shoot pure and stick like glue to the greens.  That bag above is hot.

Right on.

my pw- 6 iron fly their normal distance and gaps. And are about a club longer than the tcb.  For some reason the 4-5 cb aren’t seeming to fly their gaps, yet the tcb does?  🤷🏼‍♂️

8 hours ago, want2bpro said:

Any thoughts? 

I don’t hit the CB’s in the long irons.  I have other clubs for those (Gen 5T and Gen 6P).  At first I was worried about gapping when I’m using the CB’s in 7-G.  But, they are surprisingly close to the T’s.  It’s more an issue with the P’s.  I’ll probably sell the P’s because both the 0211 ST’s and 0317 CB’s match really well to the Gen 5 T’s for me.

The funny thing is that I’m probably not the recommended player for the CB’s.  But dang, they are sweet, accurate and fun to hit.  I don’t think you will have issues with the more lofted clubs (8-P) and probably ok with the longer irons.

9 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

You say the 0317 irons.... CB or ST?  The CB would be a cavity back and the ST is a blade style.

The best comparison to the P790 would be the 0311P irons.  Try the Gen5 or 6 in those.  Same lofts as the P790 and much better feel.

Maybe the P in the 4, 5, 6 irons and the CB in the shorter irons?

Did you try those?

I was fit for the CB's

The funniest part is before my fitting (went w a friend who was also fitted) I showed him the 0317 CB's in the front of the store and commented on how compact they were, and we would never hit these today, bc we simply are not talented enough...go figure

They look great, I hit the 7i well.....but that is not a 5i from 200 out, and that is my concern

I did hit the gen 6 P and based on trackman, the numbers were somewhat similar, but the launch was higher in the 0317s

Edited by want2bpro

1 hour ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I don’t hit the CB’s in the long irons.  I have other clubs for those (Gen 5T and Gen 6P).  At first I was worried about gapping when I’m using the CB’s in 7-G.  But, they are surprisingly close to the T’s.  It’s more an issue with the P’s.  I’ll probably sell the P’s because both the 0211 ST’s and 0317 CB’s match really well to the Gen 5 T’s for me.

The funny thing is that I’m probably not the recommended player for the CB’s.  But dang, they are sweet, accurate and fun to hit.  I don’t think you will have issues with the more lofted clubs (8-P) and probably ok with the longer irons.

Thanks for this- only one way for me to find out I guess

I am leaning towards trying them, and sucking up the 10% restocking fee if I simply cannot hit them