Thoughts on YouTube Golf Influencers?

Ahmilla

I'll watch Shiels once in awhile.  The breaking 75 series is good and the occasional guest podcasts can be great.  But it's not like I've set the youTube notification for him.  Most stuff is a pass.

EAL?  Is he still doing videos?  He went sideways a couple of years ago then down hill.  It's too bad, his original premise and first few years had some great stuff and he legitimately looked like a guy who caught the golf bug big time and was sharing all kinds of gems.  Now his work looks like a boring job.  He's so out of freshness he has to bring on others.  And worse, he switches clubs way too much.  I used to really like his try to break 80 at the major venues mostly because he's not that good and by the turn had no chance.

I won't watch any matches with a bunch of bros...too boring and I'm not the least bit invested in who wins.  The irony is all the work these clowns go through to shoot videos and I get a lot more entertainment on the course on an almost weekly basis watching others play.  Whether it be in my own group, a tournament, or some random foursome...there's always something stupid happening before your eyes.

23 hours ago, GoTime said:

Stumbled across this guy lately and have been enjoying the videos that are playing focused:

Ron Chopper is a great channel that I've followed nearly from the start. He created the character and is fully committed to it. Funny stuff.

I'm kind of amused by this thread, especially the irony of comments about how ridiculous it is for anyone, especially amateurs or bad golfers, to post videos of their scores, their rounds, their gear, their thoughts on swing mechanics, etc. on the internet... Welcome to GolfWRX.com, an internet forum organized around posting your scores, your rounds, your gear, your thoughts on swing mechanics, etc.!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm a big fan of No Laying Up although it seems lately the content that drew me to the channel is less and less, like Strapped, Wonderful World of Golf. Tour Sauce even seemed paired down this past season. The film making is on another level from others making golf content on YT. Hope the guys aren't getting complacent. 

I also watch stuff from the Bryan Bros, Rick Shiels, Foreplay(when I need a laugh). 

Edited by Scootre
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 4:35 PM, Ahmilla said:

Curious to get the group consensus on golf influencers (i.e. Micah Morris, Good Good, Bob Does Sports, Fore Play etc.). Do you enjoy following these personalities on Instagram and YouTube or could you care less about them? Do you believe they have a net positive impact on the game of golf? 

Many of the Good Good videos have achieved more viewers than PGA events.  No one wants to hear this, but it is still true.  I don't love Youtube golf in general other than TXG and a few others that give mostly factual information, but occasionally will watch Bryson, Trottie, ForePlay, or one of the good looking female influencers. Micah is not entertaining at all.

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

8 hours ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

Many of the Good Good videos have achieved more viewers than PGA events.  No one wants to hear this, but it is still true.  I don't love Youtube golf in general other than TXG and a few others that give mostly factual information, but occasionally will watch Bryson, Trottie, ForePlay, or one of the good looking female influencers. Micah is not entertaining at all.

In regard to ‘Good Good’ being so popular. To think something is of quality because it’s popular is short sided IMO. I believe ‘The Bachelor’ is one of the most watched shows on TV. Enough said. I think it says more about the quality of the ppl watching than the quality of the show 😊

On 1/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, TiScape said:

In regard to ‘Good Good’ being so popular. To think something is of quality because it’s popular is short sided IMO. I believe ‘The Bachelor’ is one of the most watched shows on TV. Enough said. I think it says more about the quality of the ppl watching than the quality of the show 😊

You tripping on the Golden Batchelor? 😆 🤣 

Apparently he was from around here.  I didn't even know that was thing, or a show. 😆  But, you tripping on the Batchelor? 😆 🤣 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, TiScape said:

There is something that weirds me out about them and I think it's because they do a heavy amount of editing. I did a lot of digging because for some reason they have never said their handicaps and found the best golfer in their group is something like a 8 handicap with the majority of them being in the 9-13 range--but when you watch the videos you would think they are all budding tour pros. Its heavily edited content that skips the majority of bad shots and there was a idea floated around that they hit multiple shots until they get one they can use for a clip.

Its good for entertainment but at the same time its deceiving what your actually watching 

Random note but Rick Sheils is actually a 1 handicap for those who may have wondered.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 1

I enjoy Rick’s 10 shot challenges with PGA players. Grant every once in a while depending on the course or who he’s with. I do like Bryan Bros. BDS… meh, I understand the appeal but food challenges where they eat 100 cheeseburgers? Yeah, I don’t get it and not for me. Micah… he’s okay but very ‘blah’. Mr ShortGame.. I had to block him to stop him from showing in my feed. He has too much fake energy trying to pretend to be the weird ADHD guy. The GoodGood clowns and that GM guy… you can throw them in that hole before putting the dirt in. 

It's the only golf wife and son will watch with me, so yes I'm in.

Bob Does Sports is their favorite. I watch pretty much all the Bryan Bros. videos as well. They're better golfers than 99.9% of the members of this site and their competitive brother dynamic makes for good content. 

13 hours ago, akronswitness said:

there was a idea floated around that they hit multiple shots until they get one they can use for a clip

It's not an idea - it's a fact. And it's prolific in the entire godawful "influencer" culture. 

I see it a lot in the musician community as well ... and then you have these kids seeing it and putting themselves up to utterly impossible "standards" that are completely manufactured. 

And what's more incredible is there're actual grown adults that believe it's "real." 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 1/17/2024 at 9:22 AM, akronswitness said:

There is something that weirds me out about them and I think it's because they do a heavy amount of editing. I did a lot of digging because for some reason they have never said their handicaps and found the best golfer in their group is something like a 8 handicap with the majority of them being in the 9-13 range--but when you watch the videos you would think they are all budding tour pros. Its heavily edited content that skips the majority of bad shots and there was a idea floated around that they hit multiple shots until they get one they can use for a clip.

Its good for entertainment but at the same time its deceiving what your actually watching 

Random note but Rick Sheils is actually a 1 handicap for those who may have wondered.

Oh man! Next ur gonna tell me reality TV is staged!!! 

🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, aenemated said:

It's not an idea - it's a fact. And it's prolific in the entire godawful "influencer" culture. 

I see it a lot in the musician community as well ... and then *you have these kids seeing it and putting themselves up to utterly impossible "standards" that are completely manufactured. 

And what's more incredible is there're actual grown adults that believe it's "real." 

Same argument that’s been around for years before there was such thing as SM. Heavily edited photos of models in print ads. SM has just magnified it x 1,000. 

Taco Golf on youtube is a good mix of humor and quality golf. I have thoroughly enjoyed his stuff so far and he has everything from ASMR style "just golf shots" to a group of guys playing golf and talking trash. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 1/17/2024 at 5:19 PM, 1puttTUT said:

I watch pretty much all the Bryan Bros. videos as well. They're better golfers than 99.9% of the members of this site and their competitive brother dynamic makes for good content. 

So now guys that play in PGA Tour events (and even won) are better than the WRXers?  Bold Claim!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

On 1/17/2024 at 11:22 AM, akronswitness said:

Good Good has several guys that are scratch or better. Garrett, Luke and Brad. I believe that Luke and Brad both played at OU and I know for sure that Brad even played in The Masters. 

Some of the others are pretty average (Matt, Steve, Bubby), but as a whole they’re above average golfers that get to play incredible courses and make solid content. 

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 4:24 AM, baseballfrk8998 said:

Good Good has several guys that are scratch or better. Garrett, Luke and Brad. I believe that Luke and Brad both played at OU and I know for sure that Brad even played in The Masters. 

Some of the others are pretty average (Matt, Steve, Bubby), but as a whole they’re above average golfers that get to play incredible courses and make solid content. 

Yeah, Luke and Brad are +HCP's and Garret is around scratch.  I have a close associate that does a lot of work for the good good guys. Branding& marketing etc.  He is a verified scratch player and says Brad and Luke are much better players than he is.  He did say that it is a tough gig for the better golfers, as they spend so much time on content that their games suffer.  Brad and Luke are both declining just like Paige and Claire.  I guess if you get to the realization that playing golf competitively isnt a financial winner, you can leverage it into the SM realm and make money.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 6:50 AM, vandyfan said:

Taco Golf on youtube is a good mix of humor and quality golf. I have thoroughly enjoyed his stuff so far and he has everything from ASMR style "just golf shots" to a group of guys playing golf and talking trash. 

Tae Koh (Taco Golf) is a proper player.

He has won the Australian Amateur title, played top amateur events in the US and won the NZ PGA Championship as a pro.

Nick Voke (KFT player) killed it in this video.

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 12:07 PM, Scootre said:

I'm a big fan of No Laying Up although it seems lately the content that drew me to the channel is less and less, like Strapped, Wonderful World of Golf. Tour Sauce even seemed paired down this past season. The film making is on another level from others making golf content on YT. Hope the guys aren't getting complacent. 

I also watch stuff from the Bryan Bros, Rick Shiels, Foreplay(when I need a laugh). 

This take tracks for me. I like the course tours, competitions and travelogues. I don't really tune in for the podcasts or PGA Tour tournament breakdowns. 

I reached out to Neil to suggest that they do a Strapped Chattanooga. He got back to me and explained that they've spent a ton of time here due to their relationship with Sweeten's Cove (this was before I knew about the house they own at SC).

He also hinted that the future of Strapped is relatively uncertain as both he and Big Randy are kind of past the point of wanting to rough it like that. If you rewatch some of the seasons it is pretty clear that there was a lot of misery involved in creating that content. 🙂 Can't say I blame them for growing up. 

Having sponsorships from Titleist, BMW, High Noon and other corporate partners is a big responsibility. Then you've got the fact that most of the gang is now spread out living wherever they choose to live.

My guess is that there's some psychic weight associated with turning your hobby into your career and your friends into your coworkers. It seems to have changed some of the guys and maybe not necessarily for the better, but that's just my personal take. People grow and change. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS