Thoughts on YouTube Golf Influencers?

Ahmilla

I can barely get a tee time for a round under eternity:30 now with yahoo’s. Why do I want golf to get more popular?

1. Try to find a time

2. Get ready to play

3. Play

4. Go home and watch more yahoo’s play on the internet.

5. Post on GolfWRX about golf yahoo’s on the Internet.

• Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Is everyone on YouTube an “influencer”? I don’t really know what the definition is. Sounds negative though. I like Eric Anders Lang’s stuff, breaking series and a bunch of the Random Golf Club stuff. But I’d call it entertainment not influencing. Enjoy the Bogey Brothers who seem to be having fun. Light entertainment. Love TXG and learn a lot from them. Have learned a lot from Mark Crossfield too. In terms of women, enjoy Genevieve Ling journey to try to make it as a pro and find much of Claire Hogle’s stuff entertaining and she clearly was a skilled player before she started YouTubing. 

Edited by ECgolf

Some of the Youtube golf stuff is entertaining, some is cringe, and I really couldn't care less what is in their bag, what they wear, eat, hit, fondle, or flirt with during a round.  Just keep me entertained is all. 

• Like 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

They all become redundant and really just create some sorta following. Depends if you like to live your life through them I guess.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I guess the thing for me is ... I don't really care what some random amateur has to say nor am I particularly interested in seeing them play. And I surely DGAF about any of their "instruction." 

Some of EAL's earlier stuff was interesting because the production quality was (and still is) top notch and the writing was great when it was more of the travelogue type of thing. It ALMOST had a Tony Bourdain (RIP) feel to it. I'm thinking the Old Course one from years back or the visit to the Miura factory, etc. When it started to become more about his ego ... well ... yeah, lost interest pretty quick.

I've enjoyed some of Rick Shiels' stuff when he's interacting with pros. The Faldo one especially; being a fan of Sir Nick for a long, long time. 

CLEARLY, I should get on doing a Tony Bourdain approach - I'm certainly jaded enough for it 😂

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

18 hours ago, Ahmilla said:

Curious to get the group consensus on golf influencers (i.e. Micah Morris, Good Good, Bob Does Sports, Fore Play etc.). Do you enjoy following these personalities on Instagram and YouTube or could you care less about them? Do you believe they have a net positive impact on the game of golf? 

Don't watch any of those guys, assume they are good for the game, any other answer would be the same as the last 50 times someone asked this, lol.

Maybe OP could share his opinion . . . .

Edited by Hawkeye77

4 hours ago, aenemated said:

Some of EAL's earlier stuff was interesting because the production quality was (and still is) top notch and the writing was great when it was more of the travelogue type of thing. It ALMOST had a Tony Bourdain (RIP) feel to it. I'm thinking the Old Course one from years back or the visit to the Miura factory, etc. When it started to become more about his ego ... well ... yeah, lost interest pretty quick.

couldn't have summed this up any better if i tried.

early RGC content and some of his skratch stuff was great, and then he kind of just lost me. 

what's really crazy is that if you go on youtube under his videos tab and just look at the thumbnails (probably  not the right word but whatever), you can see pretty much exactly when things changed.

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I watched a few matches with Good Good, Micah, and Bryan Bros because they all filmed episodes at my home course when I lived in Palm Beach County. It was kind of fun to see where they hit the ball (especially when Kyle Berkshire was a guest) and how they played the course. Other than that, it has to peak my interest. Rick Shiels playing Rickie Fowler was the last one I probably watched because they played at the Medalist. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

20 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Is everyone on YouTube an “influencer”? I don’t really know what the definition is. 

This is kinda my thing. Of the ones I watch some, I think Foreplay is the only one I’d consider an “influencer.” I watch other youtube golf content, but it feels somehow different. I think the difference between whether someone is or is not an influencer is how much of the content is informational or entertainment vs based more on a personality type thing. I don’t consider TXG to be influencers, but I greatly enjoy a lot of their content. I’m also probably a bit too old to really understand or care the nuances of the differences. Mine largely comes down to they either annoy me or they don’t lol

• Haha 1

I don't mind some of the Good Good guys but some of them can be very obnoxious (Matt).

The only thing I watch on Barstool is the Sandbagger by Spittin Chicklets. Other than that Barstool just doesn't appeal to me.

TXG still makes some good content.

Peter Finch and Rick Shiels have some good content, the Golf Bidder challenges are always good.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:35 AM, aenemated said:

I agree the production quality is good and it carries the show. He's not a great host but he's ok in his way. (One of my favorites) 

Edited by shoot4par

10 minutes ago, kmbean said:

Some of them ok, I think Fat Perez is pretty damn funny and a good player.

I do find Riggs to be an insufferable blowhard, I don’t know how anyone can stand to be around him for more than a few minutes.  He also sucks at golf.

Okay OT, but in regards to Riggs, saw this and it left me perplexed. His hockey ‘profile’ from Harvard. “Bats/throws L”. I’m not a big hockey guy, but that doesn’t seem relevant! 🤣

IMG_2384.jpeg

8 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Okay OT, but in regards to Riggs, saw this and it left me perplexed. His hockey ‘profile’ from Harvard. “Bats/throws L”. I’m not a big hockey guy, but that doesn’t seem relevant! 🤣

IMG_2384.jpeg

that idiot went to harvard?

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

Only consistent watches are Bob Does Sports and the Bryan Brothers.  

BDS for the humor and entertainment, BB for the golf and their golf course  redesign stuff, also enjoyed their recent video following Wes around Harbor Town.

I'll say the newest BDS video with the 3v3 scramble against Josh Allen/Kyle Allen/Sam Darnold just filled me with laughter.  It's hilarious.

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, kmbean said:

Some of them are ok, I think Fat Perez is pretty damn funny and a good player.

I do find Riggs to be an insufferable blowhard, I don’t know how anyone can stand to be around him for more than a few minutes.  He also sucks at golf.

The Barstool guys I cannot stand.  And he played hockey at Harvard?  Low standards I guess...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

24 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Check to see if there is a building at Harvard w/his last name attached to it 😉 

😂

So he's a Missouri guy and went to a private school on CT, lol.  I like less and less about him the more I find out.  

Plus, can we all agree its the worst putting stroke this side of Will Zalatoris?

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 7:34 PM, Blaiser said:

Didn't realize people could have such strongly negative feelings about golf videos they don't have to watch.

I think they are great. Relatable golfers in the 0-12 range just having a good time. It's also a cool way to check out courses that otherwise wouldn't be on TV.

we were asked our opinions ... everyone knows they don't have to watch them ... they are giving their opinions because we, the golfing community, were asked ... the opinions can range from "great" to "bury them in a hole and forget about them" ... i've watched a few of the ones mentioned ... none of them are appealing to me in the least bit ... i don't know that they need to be put in a hole and covered with a softball field ... would've thought a golf course would be more appropriate, but they are guys, mostly, trying to make income by being ... LIV-like ... NLU isn't one of them, and i enjoy their tubes from time to time ... the rest are just trying to be the loudest or brightest and don't bring anything of interest ... i already know people who are obnoxious ... don't need to watch golf tubers who are ... 

Edited by tiderider

On 4/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, J_Tizzle said:

Only consistent watches are Bob Does Sports and the Bryan Brothers.  

BDS for the humor and entertainment, BB for the golf and their golf course  redesign stuff, also enjoyed their recent video following Wes around Harbor Town.

I'll say the newest BDS video with the 3v3 scramble against Josh Allen/Kyle Allen/Sam Darnold just filled me with laughter.  It's hilarious.

I just got into BDS because of the Josh Allen video (I am a Bills fan). They seem like real fun guys to play golf with.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

I just got into BDS because of the Josh Allen video (I am a Bills fan). They seem like real fun guys to play golf with.

Yeah that episode was excellent.  They're just good and fun guys, Bob is very self deprecating with one liners for days, Joey thinks he's a little better than he is but watching him melt down is usually a highlight per episode, and FP is typically very funny and a pretty solid stick as well.

• Like 2

Good Good: My wife and I enjoyed watching their videos when they had the full crew over a year ago. It went downhill significantly when they lost Grant and Micah, don't watch much anymore. This channel is clearly for a younger demographic as the fans that show up to the events are often in their teens. Garrett is a 0 handicap but it got old hearing him say he needed to hole this shot from 140 yards every episode. 

Bob Does Sports: Tailored more towards 20-40 year old casual golf crowd. It can be obnoxious at times but Bob is a funny guy, I can enjoy in very small doses.  The skill level from Bob and "Joey Cold Cuts" is not great, not recommended unless you just like to watch guys have a good time. 

Grant Horvat/Micah: These two split off from Good Good and scored pretty solid Taylormade sponsorship deals. Whether you like it or not these guys do indeed influence the younger crowd and Taylormade knows it. They often play fourball/scrambles against D1 and PGA tour players on their channel, they are both around 0-2 handicaps. I enjoy their channels as it can be pretty high-level golf, they also don't screw around or act a fool on the course. 

On 4/17/2023 at 6:22 PM, knock it close said:

I dislike most of them, the bigger issue I'm seeing is the main character syndrome spreading and I'm seeing guys filming and posting their round of golf when they have like 100 followers. I saw one guy got pissed because his playing group of randoms asked him not to film because he was slowing them down and buddy acted like they shot his dog. 

If some random showed up in my group and filmed every shot I'd be a little perturbed.

Lol.  I’d actually invite that to happen. Just once.  I’m in need of some seriously uplifting entertainment….. the ritual mercy killing that my Saturday group would perform would  be internet gold.  🤣.  

Amateur Golf influencers ? .  Isn’t that one of the largest oxymorons in existence?  I mean if it’s not female , it has no hold on most people.  Right ? How sad would it be , to be influenced by a pack of brosaurus Rex’s?  Like the guy said in gone in 60 seconds “ you guys need role models “. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 4/20/2023 at 9:02 PM, ChipStrokes said:

that idiot went to harvard?

Loads of idiots go to Harvard.  To be fair to him.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  I’d actually invite that to happen. Just once.  I’m in need of some seriously uplifting entertainment….. the ritual mercy killing that my Saturday group would perform would  be internet gold.  🤣.  

Amateur Golf influencers ? .  Isn’t that one of the largest oxymorons in existence?  I mean if it’s not female , it has no hold on most people.  Right ? How sad would it be , to be influenced by a pack of brosaurus Rex’s?  Like the guy said in gone in 60 seconds “ you guys need role models “. 

I realize I just retold the story I literally posted about.

Edited by knock it close
  • Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62