As an aspiring pro golfer, what am I and others supposed to do?

golferdude54

4 hours ago, FootWedge16 said:

Let me save you years of heartache and hundreds of thousands of dollars:

Go get a real job in a field with real growth opportunities. Every single "aspiring pro" I knew growing up is now in their late thirties, have no job experience/work history, no skills, broke, miserable, with drinking problems. 

We'd have nobody out there if everybody took this advice.  You put the work in, you have no idea how you might develop.  A friend of mine has managed to be 20+ million richer by pursuing his dream of golf.  Even if you don't make it, there's plenty of jobs within the industry you can end up in, and still plenty of jobs\careers you can grab after the fact elsewhere.  I managed to get myself into the tech industry once I realized it's not going to happen and make a great living now. 

Most of those "aspiring pro's" you know that didn't make it, probably would have failed regardless of what they elected to do.  Some people just don't have the work ethic or drive to succeed anywhere in life.   It doesn't take much to learn a skill, but it's a lot easier to blame the world.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

The whole OP just sounds fishy. Sounds like someone who just wanted to give their political opinion and is not really trying to make it out on tour

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have been in the fortune 1000 corporate corridor for over 40yrs, including US government agencies and overseas affiliations.   My portfolio has shares and blocks of shares of different entities, it's not a sensible example.  None of the shareholders, including block holders have control over company operations. 

Now a certain CEO with questionable ties and background, is the largest stakeholder and controlling financial partner of the PGA; no others like him or allowed.  Being an International Ally is quite different from being employed by said Ally.  Typically, an Ally has a few strategic goals aligned with ours, but operational substance, quite different form of values and governing style, with a different definition of loyalty.

To see the difference, study up on how that country does business and how it differs from ours.

The US has absolutely no leg to stand on when it comes to world events. If you've been in fortune 1000 companies then you know we're far from the most ethical country. I ain't a fan of Saudi Arabia, but I'm not gonna be dishonest about my own country either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I hope after you wrote that question, you realized it lacks substance or critical reasoning???  

FYI There are a dozen countries that supply gas/crude to the US.  I buy Chevron, they get 86% of their production from local/US refineries, and the Gulf the rest from International distributors.  NOT all oil companies buy crude from Saudis.  In fact, Saudi's contribute the least to the US.  There is NO way to determine accurately where the average gallon of gas or crude comes from, so a person would have to be an idiot to make their decisions based on squirrelly assumptions. 

"At about 5 million barrels in 2021, Russian gasoline made up for about 13 percent of U.S. imports, making it the third-largest contributor after Canada (6.7 million) and the Netherlands (5.8 million.) Next came South Korea (4.6 million barrels); Turkey (2.8 million barrels); Italy (2.8 million barrels); India (1.5 million barrels); Saudi Arabia (1.2 million barrels); and the United Kingdom (1 million barrels).

This is all a drop in the barrel, however, next to U.S. domestic production of gasoline, which was about 525 million barrels in 2020. That makes total foreign imports about 7.5 percent of the total, and Russian imports just under 1 percent."

Right, it's a senseless statement that has no substance just like the OP.

It's a global economy. Money from lots of different countries, some of which have questionable human rights records, gets invested in lots of other industries and countries no matter what you do. There is absolutely no way to explicitly know who is funding what and what their human rights records are. A gazillion different companies out there that love to tout their DEI initiatives have also had the **** sued out of them for discrimination. What are you going to do, research every single vendor that supplies components for your iPhone and Android device, the vast majority of which are not publicly known?

I sure hope the OP also doesn't wear any Nike clothing (who definitely have a questionable child labor record), use any Apple products (ditto), etc. 

Edited by mbb86
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

I have always been anti-LIV from the start so I was devastated when I read that the PGA Tour gave up and sold out to a country that doesn’t even have a history of the game of golf.

Ben Hogan sold his company to a Japanese businessman but that’s completely different as Japan had a rich history of golf at the time. Meanwhile in this scenario a monarchy was just bored and decided to throw money to see if they could have it.

Before all this, I aspired to play in Monday qualifiers to make it on tour but now what am I supposed to do in terms of morals? Go to Australia or Japan to play on their respective tours and try to qualify for the US Open or the Open in their qualifiers? This whole thing kinda stomped on my goals/plans and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Growing the game… Yeah right.

you almost had me till that last statement ... that was a fatal flaw ... 

back-to-school-bad.gif

7 hours ago, FootWedge16 said:

Let me save you years of heartache and hundreds of thousands of dollars:

Go get a real job in a field with real growth opportunities. Every single "aspiring pro" I knew growing up is now in their late thirties, have no job experience/work history, no skills, broke, miserable, with drinking problems. 

kellys-heroes-oddball.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mbb86 said:

Right, it's a senseless statement that has no substance just like the OP.

It's a global economy. Money from lots of different countries, some of which have questionable human rights records, gets invested in lots of other industries and countries no matter what you do. There is absolutely no way to explicitly know who is funding what and what their human rights records are. A gazillion different companies out there that love to tout their DEI initiatives have also had the **** sued out of them for discrimination. What are you going to do, research every single vendor that supplies components for your iPhone and Android device, the vast majority of which are not publicly known?

I sure hope the OP also doesn't wear any Nike clothing (who definitely have a questionable child labor record), use any Apple products (ditto), etc. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'm not one to shoot down somebody's dreams. I tried it myself as disillusion kid.  If you got game/money and think you can do it, then why not?  You only live once.  For me the reality came really quick when I'm on mini tours and smaller pro events, shooting 68's and still getting beat by a lot, then realizing those guys beating you still aren't good enough to make it.   You never know tho, a buddy of mine did make it to the tour and has been fairly successful out there, this was somebody I would beat regularly in junior golf and then out of nowhere his game just shot to another level.  Monday qualifiers tho would be the last route I'd try to go with it, you need 2 great rounds just to get into the event, and then 4 great rounds on top of that at the actual event.   You're pretty much positioning yourself in a way where you can't play one bad round.

Right on. Better be a +6 at your home track before even thinking of trying it for a living. Not joking!!

• Like 1

Was the question posted via Rory’s burner account? 
If you’re legit, not a troll, and it’s a serious question, try to make it to the Tour, or whatever it’s going to be called, if you want to be a pro golfer. What’s happened is beyond your control and there’s no viable alternative for pro golfers.  Other than quitting and getting a real job. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

22 hours ago, FootWedge16 said:

Every single "aspiring pro" I knew growing up is now in their late thirties, have no job experience/work history, no skills, broke, miserable, with drinking problems. 

Gee, this was me trying to break 80.  I didn’t know it happened to pro golfers too. 

Edited by PJE
  • Haha 3

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

13 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

It's my guess you haven't seen what I've seen in country by our enemies, I will leave it there.  NO country is perfect but to say all countries are equal in wrong doing, shows bias and distortion. 

Thank you.  Saved me from saying it.  Being conscious of the wolf at the door not only isn’t wrong.  It’s the prudent mentality to have.  Because he’s there. No matter what brand of sunshine and rainbows they sell you on TV. 

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

25 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Tres palabras...

Mexican Mini Tour

La flama blanca ?!?? 😂

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I wish I was a good enough player to have these kinds of moral dilemmas.

But yeah, I see the Matamoros Open in your future. Just gotta watch out for "El Chapo's Taint."

• Haha 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge