2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PSA.. UPS. Found out I have been shipping incorrectly for over 20 years.

Radeon962

Can’t say that UPS isn’t efficient.  I got the attached in the mail today.

I have been shipping clubs for more than 20 years and only went to UPS for shafts or clubs after USPS instituted their $15 surcharge on packages of 30” or more.

Smaller packages still ship by USPS.

I use 48x4x4 boxes from U-Line and pack with paper wrapped around the shaft so the shaft is centered in the box.  

I trim one end to get under the 47” UPS surcharge and is the end where the U-Line stamp is as I assume that they would charge me for a 48” box after-the-fact even if the box were cut to 44 based on the stamp. 

Might have to switch to FedEx. 

I have another shaft that has been at a local UPS facility for 5 days now and am losing hope that one will make it to its destination.  

No issues until it gets to a local sorting facility.

IMG_1562.jpeg.3be72f7f060e56b628310b9a427548f0.jpeg

wow that is bad.  Wonder if you can file a protest somehow?  Assuming all of that voids any insurance?  Sorry for your loss

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

3 hours ago, theedge27 said:

FYI..I shipped a putter the other day using USPS Ground Advantage, the new service replacing first class. I did the label online and it was 15.75 to ship PA to MO. Looks like this new service eliminated the $15 fee for 30"+

Did this as well....UPS has gone up.  Ive tried to ship UPS as most convenient for me and prices have been $50-60 for stuff that used to be $20ish.

It's just insane to me how little responsibility these places have to take for at least remotely handling their packages properly, especially when insurance is going to be like pulling teeth to get reimbursed. I've been shipping clubs for over 20 years, as well, and had UPS break a Stroke Lab putter shaft recently. First time I've had one broken in all the years I've been selling. Luckily the buyer was super cool about it.

Edited by Pudgelewis

6 hours ago, theedge27 said:

FYI..I shipped a putter the other day using USPS Ground Advantage, the new service replacing first class. I did the label online and it was 15.75 to ship PA to MO. Looks like this new service eliminated the $15 fee for 30"+

I just dropped off a set of iron shafts at USPS today that I’m shipping Pa to OR. Upped the insurance to 150 and the total was $21.04. The length fee was only $7 using ground advantage. 

$21 bucks to ship iron shafts from Pa to Oregon? Fine by me. Would’ve been $16 using UPS, but I have a Post Office down the street from my office and would have to drive out of my way to get to a UPS store. 

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

20 hours ago, Radeon962 said:

I use the same boxes and just rip off the flaps on one end. and then fold over and works perfect. 

I use 48x4x4 boxes from U-Line and pack with paper wrapped around the shaft so the shaft is centered in the box.  

I trim one end to get under the 47” UPS surcharge and is the end where the U-Line stamp is as I assume that they would charge me for a 48” box after-the-fact even if the box were cut to 44 based on the stamp. 

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

I usually ship UPS through Shippo.  But two shafts I sold in a row were snapped in half by UPS.  And I just bought a shaft on here, which arrived in one piece despite the box being absolutely destroyed.  

So I went to FedEx to make my latest shaft sale.  Shaft arrived safely, but that shipping was $$.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

22 hours ago, jt2gt said:

Did this as well....UPS has gone up.  Ive tried to ship UPS as most convenient for me and prices have been $50-60 for stuff that used to be $20ish.

When USPS started that extra fee I started using UPS. Went online to do a label for the putter and it was over $20. Which is almost double what it was a few months ago. 

On 7/26/2023 at 6:25 AM, theedge27 said:

So what are the advertised transit times for "ground advantage"?  Is this like the old parcel select ground that would disappear and be delivered 2 weeks after shipping?  Anything other than priority mail has always scared me for any shipments of value.

49 minutes ago, zip7111 said:

So what are the advertised transit times for "ground advantage"?  Is this like the old parcel select ground that would disappear and be delivered 2 weeks after shipping?  Anything other than priority mail has always scared me for any shipments of value.

I created the label online 7-14 and dropped it off at 11am. Putter was delivered 3pm on 7/17. Went from PA to MO. 

Also comes with 100 insurance standard. Which i believe is double what priority is?

Edited by theedge27

I love the 2nd paragraph - the complete contents have been discarded [so you have no opportunity to dispute our assertion].  

I'm in the middle of a claim with UPS right now.  They originally denied it due to "insufficient packaging."  I had to call and explain that the buyer provided pictures of the shipping tube, and no amount of packaging would've protected it from what UPS did to it.  They reversed their decision and are supposedly sending me a check.  It might be worth your time to call and dispute their decision.  

I recently sold 3 shafts individually and used UPS via shipstation for all. Pricing is more then reasonable, all shafts shipped with paper/bubble and the price was the same if it was 48" or less in length (they varied from 44-48).

I then get an 'adjustment of $12 for one of them a week later. Very random, and annoying since it was a zone 1 $9 shipment to begin with. 2 of the 3 shafts, no issues (including a 3d to CA from PA). 

OK, I have time with my coffee...lets chat with support and pull this thread. Shipstation doesn't post what UPS provides them, you have to inquire to get the 'adjustment report'.

It was vague about how it needed special handling. What was special I ask? Enter in that same box now to that same address  with 48" dimensions and its still a $9 label. 

Took a few chats and patience, got a refund and a reason of 'yes, this happens sometimes' 

Sometimes eh? Bet its more then sometimes and they rely on people not fighting smaller adjustments for the nuisance. 

To quote the great Red: Dumb arses

Edited by bvanlieu

19 hours ago, jacob7071 said:

I love the 2nd paragraph - the complete contents have been discarded [so you have no opportunity to dispute our assertion].  

I'm in the middle of a claim with UPS right now.  They originally denied it due to "insufficient packaging."  I had to call and explain that the buyer provided pictures of the shipping tube, and no amount of packaging would've protected it from what UPS did to it.  They reversed their decision and are supposedly sending me a check.  It might be worth your time to call and dispute their decision.  

That's a good point on the second paragraph. Even then, shouldn't they still be required to give you what is left of it, especially if they're just going to tell you you're SOL? What if some portion of it is still useable, such as a head from a club that the shaft was broken on? I don't trust them to be knowledgeable enough about what they're destroying to make the decision on if there's any way to salvage any part of it or not.

Edited by Pudgelewis
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, Rapatt95 said:

I just dropped off a set of iron shafts at USPS today that I’m shipping Pa to OR. Upped the insurance to 150 and the total was $21.04. The length fee was only $7 using ground advantage. 

$21 bucks to ship iron shafts from Pa to Oregon? Fine by me. Would’ve been $16 using UPS, but I have a Post Office down the street from my office and would have to drive out of my way to get to a UPS store. 

Pretty wild you can get random golf shafts shipped over 2000 miles for about 20 bucks. 

and people want to complain about the post office. Lol

18 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

UPS has a flat rate shipping rate based on the volume of the package.  Length does not matter. 

Length increases volume, so it does keep costs down by minimizing the length (or any dimension) of the box.  The formula for UPS 'dimensional weight' is (L×W×H)/139 (in inches).  The heavier of the 'dimensional weight' vs actual weight is used for the shipping costs. 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

6 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Length increases volume, so it does keep costs down by minimizing the length (or any dimension) of the box.  The formula for UPS 'dimensional weight' is (L×W×H)/139 (in inches).  The heavier of the 'dimensional weight' vs actual weight is used for the shipping costs. 

I know that but the difference would not alter the price.  the bands of cost are not that small.

9 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

I know that but the difference would not alter the price.  the bands of cost are not that small.

It depends.  If charged by dimensional weight, then just go by the formula (LxWxH/139).  For example, a typical 6 x 6 box goes from 12 lb dimensional weight at 43 to 46 inches long to 13 lbs at 47 inches long.  So for the 6 x 6 it saves to be at 46 inches or less in length.  Or if can get to less than 43 inches then it saves even more as that gets you to 11 lbs dimensional weight.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

6 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

It depends.  If charged by dimensional weight, then just go by the formula (LxWxH/139).  For example, a typical 6 x 6 box goes from 12 lb dimensional weight at 43 to 46 inches long to 13 lbs at 47 inches long.  So for the 6 x 6 it saves to be at 46 inches or less in length.  Or if can get to less than 43 inches then it saves even more as that gets you to 11 lbs dimensional weight.

UPS does not use weight just cubic volume.  Look it up!

6X6 package

43"-48"  all fit into the extra large rate. which goes from 1050 Cu in up to 1728 Cu In

Edited by TwistedSister

1 hour ago, TwistedSister said:

UPS does not use weight just cubic volume.  Look it up!

6X6 package

43"-48"  all fit into the extra large rate. which goes from 1050 Cu in up to 1728 Cu In

Cubic volume provides the 'dimensional weight'.  This isn't rocket science.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 7/29/2023 at 7:24 PM, TwistedSister said:

UPS has a flat rate shipping rate based on the volume of the package.  Length does not matter. 

11 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

My point is that for a 6X6 box the cost to ship is the  same for 43" as it would be for 48".

Not sure why I'm bothering, but this all started in response to your comment that "length does not matter".  As shown in the below example the price more than doubles by changing only the length from 40" to 50".  Unfortunately, length does matter...

Screenshot_20230802_194408_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230802_194604_Chrome.jpg

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST