2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

If you play a Mini driver or strong 3-wood off the tee...

gvogel

I've never played a mini, but I did have a tour issue 13* R7 ALE back in the day.  I paired with the RIP Gamma because the head was low launch.  It was almost used exclusively off the tee. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think it depends on the club's specs and the player.  Some strong 3W are essentially mini's while others are very low lofted fairways.  If only a tee shot club, go with one that is most mini driver like.  Without very good strike and high clubhead speed, all of these (11-13 degrees of loft) are going to be challenging to hit off the turf (unless carry / trajectory are not important).

• Like 2

I'm using a 300 Mini as my tee club.  it's an 11.5* head, I've tuned it down as low as it can go, 10* for this adapter, though I may bump it one tick higher.

Even with the so-called higher spin KSig v3, it's obviously not spinning all that much.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I do not have a mini driver, but hit 3w as a tee club periodically when I need that distance to put me in the best position. IMHO, if one is having trouble with using a driver off the tee, they need their swing and/or club looked at.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I had the 300 Mini 11.5 (that will be going up on BST soon now that its replaced) and now the BRNR 13.5. The goal was to use it as a 2 wood, ~20 yards shorter than driver but solely a tee club. I never need to hit a 3 wood off deck so these larger head mini drivers are great. 

If you want to simply replace driver than the 11.5 models are great. I found my 300 Mini quite low spin and often got out as far as my driver anyway especially if missed a little high toe. While it was fun hitting my '2 wood' past friends to 320 yards on occasion, I replaced it with the 13.5 BRNR model that is still quite hot but better gapping for what I need. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

45 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I do not have a mini driver, but hit 3w as a tee club periodically when I need that distance to put me in the best position. IMHO, if one is having trouble with using a driver off the tee, they need their swing and/or club looked at.

BT

If it is a confidence issue, do I need to see a Shrink?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Stealth 2 plus ROCKET off the deck or tee.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Very personal reference this question, you will have several answers but still not have a solution for yourself. You should ask yourself if you EVER will hit that 2 wood from the ground. If yes, go with the smaller head 3+ woods or tour woods or how they are ever called. If no go with the bigger head of the Mini Driver for extra forgiveness. 

The best would be to have the possibility to hit them all side by side. 

• Like 2

I have a BRNR Mini that is one of my favorite clubs this year. It only gets used on really short and tight courses and is a direct replacement for my driver. I have an 11.5 set to 9.5 with an OG Diamana white 83x. It’s a few yards shorter than my TSi3 driver but it is wildly more accurate. 

as much as I like the Mini I still carry my driver most of the time. 

• Like 1

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper (1° weak)

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F (51°), 56F, 60M (59°)

LAB Link

Jones Rover Stand Jet Black

I have a homemade mini driver that is a 11°, 380cc Japanese driver from 2009?, I added 20g to the head and play it at 42.5” and it’s better off the tee than my past 3W and better off the tee than my driver, although I wouldn’t ever attempt to hit it off the deck. 

I recently bought a 14° Adams Tight Lies (2013) head that I’m having shafted up to see how it performs mainly off the deck for scrambles and the range…..not sure if it will make it into my bag full time, but who knows. 

I’m thinking of cutting my driver down to 44” since I don’t seem to lose much ball speed from the mini driver that I have at 42.5” and my 460cc driver that I play at 44.75” it’s only 2-3mph ball speed difference and about 8mph ball speed from my 18° 5w at 41.5” and my 7.5° Driver at 44.75”

Edited by Drivingrangehero

I go back and forth between a Big Bertha Mini 1.5 12° and a Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14°.  They have the same adapter so I can swap them out quickly to test and they are weighted similarly so I can put them on the same shaft and see what the difference is.  I'm enjoying the Alpha right now, it hits the yardage gap I need, and it is a teensy bit easier off the turf, so it is in the bag.  But, if a mini comes along that works and is more forgiving than the Alpha, I'm certainly open to the idea.  

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood. 400cc head, 16 degrees of loft. Its a cheat code. 

• Like 4

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood. 400cc head, 16 degrees of loft. Its a cheat code. 

I bought my daughter one of those when they came out.  She still has it, and it works great.

I have purchased a 300 Mini just now.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

3 hours ago, gvogel said:

No. Confidence comes from successful repetition. Fix the problem and your shots will begin to fly and land where you want. Confidence will blossom!

I have about a dozen drivers with lengths from 48" to 43.5" of all different brands, materials and sizes. All weighted and balanced for me and my swing. I hit one just as well as the next. I know I can go out and play well with any of them. I know if I hit a bad shot with one, it was me and not the club. That's what you're looking for.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 2

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

15 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

No. Confidence comes from successful repetition. Fix the problem and your shots will begin to fly and land where you want. Confidence will blossom!

BT

Funny, confidence didn't fix the putting yips.  A new grip (claw) and more than a few years and I can putt again.

Edited by gvogel

4 hours ago, gvogel said:

No just test and tune.

Basics first.

Do you need the teed ball higher or lower?

Do you need the tee more to the left of Centre

Eg need to find out if you are 1 hitting down on ball

2 sort of hitting ball but not getting much help with launching the ball. Im guessing this is the problem

3 have ball a bin more forward in stance eg 1 inch etc so you are More Likely to hit A little Up on the ball at Impact. Eg A O A +

Eg with a positive angle of attack (impact on the ball) 😊= Confidence,Great Shot👍

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

45 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I think modern drivers are the largest double edge sword in any sports equipment.  They forgive a lot.  But they cause just as many misses.  Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Those good days trick us into keeping them in the bag.  It’s just silly how it’s only one club.   

I agree wholeheartedly.  My tee game came alive after putting a Mini back in my bag a couple weeks ago...

• Like 1

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

50 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. That is the goal. BUT-  huge BUT. It’s much easier said than done.  

at my lowest handicap +2 I rarely hit driver and if I did it was a little bunt fade. A low one that came from a low tee height and a smaller swing.  Hardly more than a 3 wood. 

Now I can have days where I don’t miss. It’s long down the middle … but inexplicably the next round it will be right left and ugly.  And it’s not like this with any other club.  I think it’s he head size and tee height. Because i absolutely don’t suffer from this with a strong 3 wood or mini driver.  And I can lengthen the mini shaft out to 45 and not have that issue. 

I think modern drivers are the largest double edge sword in any sports equipment.  They forgive a lot.  But they cause just as many misses.  Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Those good days trick us into keeping them in the bag.  It’s just silly how it’s only one club.   

I agree with you.  The only 2 drivers that I have ever felt confident in every single day were my old Powerbilt Citation persimmon 10 degree & Taylormade R580 10.5.

I could hit cut/fade fairway finders with them hole after hole every single day.

I just can't do it with a Sim/Mavrik/G430 etc. etc.      I could neck my old persimmon into the fairway, and the R580 loved a cut shot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Port and Starboard said:

The only 2 drivers that I have ever felt confident in every single day were my old Powerbilt Citation persimmon 10 degree & Taylormade R580 10.5

Amusingly, my best tee game across my golf life has come with persimmons or laminates in the bag.  

Even better, my longest tee shot (that didn't get cart path assistance) of the past 8 seasons is with a Ping Zing Blonde.  

• Like 2

I game a TM 300 Mini 11.5 degree driver turned down to 10.2 degrees as my driver and a TM M4 15 degree 3 wood off the tee.  The club depends on where I would like to hit the next shot with. 

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

<content irrelevant to the thread and deleted by me>

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

My home course is short at 6,600 yards. I have been contemplating an 11-12 degree driver with a 43.5" shaft. I don't particularly care for the size of the mini's, I prefer a 430-460cc head. 

Curious if anyone else is playing a 43-44" driver.

Edited by Aces-6

TSR4 10 Ventus TR Black 6

TSR3 15 Ventus TR Blue 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

T200 4-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
SM10 54F/60M DG TI S400
Circle T Phantom 11.5 Proto 

Pro V1

Titleist TSR2+ user here and use it exclusively as a tee club. Can hit it almost as far as driver but on holes that I can’t afford to miss right, it does the trick and looks great at address. 

• Thanks 1

CALLAWAY Paradym Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 10.5* /  Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

TITLEIST TSR2+ 13* / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65S

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* / Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7S

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 4i / Fujikura Pro 95i

PING i230 5-PW / True Temper Project X IO 6.0

PING Glide 4.0 50S / Ping Z-Z115 W

BETTINARDI HLX 5.0 Oil-Rubbed Bronze PVD 54RJ and 58RJ / KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black

BRANDON MATTHEW Truxton Wide-Blade Carbon Patina

TITLEIST Pro V1x

WITB LINK

5 hours ago, Port and Starboard said:

I agree with you.  The only 2 drivers that I have ever felt confident in every single day were my old Powerbilt Citation persimmon 10 degree & Taylormade R580 10.5.

I could hit cut/fade fairway finders with them hole after hole every single day.

I just can't do it with a Sim/Mavrik/G430 etc. etc.      I could neck my old persimmon into the fairway, and the R580 loved a cut shot.

Powerboat Citation persimmon with the bronze weight on the back?  A beauty!  My Dad won a club championship with that driver.  I almost won the year after that with a Spaulding persimmon driver, which we reshafted lightweight steel shaft.  1979.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

I have a lot of confidence with this driver.  🙂

FC M43T face.jpeg

FC M43T crown.jpeg

FC M43T sole.jpeg

Beautiful!  But probably a bit too deep faced for me.  I had a lovely Tony Pena which was a great club, when I put my best swing on it.  But I was better with my shallower faced Spaulding.  I gave the Pena to a good friend, a bigger stronger guy, who won a club championship with it.  No regrets on my end.

Edited by gvogel

1 hour ago, PigPyle said:

Titleist TSR2+ user here and use it exclusively as a tee club. Can hit it almost as far as driver but on holes that I can’t afford to miss right, it does the trick and looks great at address. 

Now that is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I have a TSR2 driver that I like, and can hit very well when playing well.  But I took a Ping Rapture 13* out last week and used that more often than not.  I played it for a few years in the neutral position, but as I need help now, I put it in the + position.  it was great.  I had no fear, and hit most of the fairways.  At 70 I have moved up to the senior tees, and from there all I need is 210 to hit greens and score.

I figured I would try a few others before I settle on the Old Faithful.  The TSR2+ caught my eye.  The BRNR looked appealing until I saw it in a store - might as well hit the driver!

This has been a good thread.

1 hour ago, PigPyle said:

you just sold me.  13* or 14.5*?  I'm thinking 13* set with a bit more loft and closed face, so that I don't have to fight the sliding righties.  I swing with more confidence that way.  Love to see the ball go right to left a bit.

One thing about mini drivers is that, with the reduced profile, they are easier to swing fast against the wind.  No one appreciates that, but against the wind it makes a difference.  And where would you rather have distance?  For me, against the wind!

• Like 1