Club Corp - Membership Benefits Advertised vs Reality

How many folks here have memberships at "Club Corp" owned/affiliated courses?

How is the actual travel access to other courses in reality versus the eye popping and jaw dropping advertised access to some really really nice courses for what appears to be a killer rate regardless of category.

I've got a course around here that I'm considering membership, but I'm not sure. The initiation fee isn't out of reach at $4,000 and the monthly dues are less than I actually spend on golf as it is per month. Yet, this sounds too good to be true. Is it? 😄

Or is it as good as it looks?

Just pondering my golfing future as I get more addicted..... 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

The big issue with Club Corp courses is they oversell the memberships and if you want tee times during prime times like early weekend mornings you will likely struggle to get those. If you can play anytime and don't mind having to book tee times possibly at odd hours of the day a week or so ahead, then you'll probably be happy. The travel benefits are fine again assuming you are flexible on when you can play and have a week or so ahead to be able to book it instead of last minute.

As a whole the courses in the network are average to above average. There's generally public courses in most towns that are better than them. I'd view a club corp course more like a semi private course than a private course. There's a reason they are one of the cheaper private club options.

Supposedly Club Corp has been raising rates and trying to reduce the number of members to alleviate their issues but I have not seen evidence of that yet other than higher prices. There is another current active thread on wrx right now with a club corp club member complaining that they can't get weekend morning tee times at all.

• Like 1

I joined a Club Corp club in 2011 and resigned in 2019.  It was sold and is now called "invited"  @Dancin has it pretty spot on.  My old club now has a 30K initiation and 1K/month dues.  No decrease in membership at all.  I still play there quite a bit with friends.  Morning tee times are impossible unless you are on at the exact moment the tee sheet opens, and even then anything before 10am is difficult to manage.  In 2011 I could show up nearly any time and play, not so any more.  As noted in the other thread it is the same people always getting the morning tee times.  Not sure how that is managed, but it is always the case.  Course is usually in great shape on par with an upper end public offering, but less than high end private.  Food, etc is average to above average.  I think the pattern is average to above average in amenities, but below average in golf access.  I never used the other clubs, as any time I travel I tend to play the best course wherever I am, and that never includes member clubs.

Invited bought our club last year.  The folks I have talked to who travel a lot have raved about the access to other courses.  It all depends on your individual use case.  I know members from my club who went to Florida and played PGA National for the cart fee.  There are two other Invited courses here in MA and people have traveled and played those with no issue.  It all depends on where you travel to and where they own clubs in that area.

We have a tee time lottery system at our club for weekends.  It alleviates the 7 a.m. mad dash for tee times we used to have with the old system.  The lottery system works for the most part, it just takes some planning for the organized group games that happen on the weekends. 

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Sounds like a nightmare , for me the biggest perk of CC membership is the course accessibility, being able to play 3-5 holes after work , getting to play early on weekend and having rest of day ( tends to make spouse happier this way as well) or can even play with the boys in am and have fam come in PM for some afternoon golf , lunch or pool. 

• Like 1

The trouble I have is it has to be really good to justify it. There are a couple courses that would make some logistical sense, but I'd want access to local courses as well as distant ones.

I don't want to lock into a single course in the area.

I'm okay with variable Tee Times; I don't have a reason to need to play at a given time other than a time when I can get in 18 holes. But I was curious as to what sort of access I'd have outside the area to more premium courses. I don't need the best of the best... but I'd like access to more than just one good course at least in my area, and then as I travel.

I already have access to a couple of destination worthy courses, so if I want top notch I know where to go.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The travel benefits are decent, but the problem is that the courses set aside a handful of tee times each day for travel play. So you usually will have an option around 11:30 and and option around 2:30. If you are flexible, then it can work out well, but if you need to play in the morning, it won’t work for most courses. 

• Thanks 1

Makes sense, really. I wouldn't be able to expect premium treatment if I'm only coming in as a quasi-guest.

I fired off an email to ask the club in question which nearby courses are included for access. I've never played a TPC course, and I don't know how TPC Piper Glen ranks up, but I always kind of wanted to check that place out.

8 hours ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Makes sense, really. I wouldn't be able to expect premium treatment if I'm only coming in as a quasi-guest.

I fired off an email to ask the club in question which nearby courses are included for access. I've never played a TPC course, and I don't know how TPC Piper Glen ranks up, but I always kind of wanted to check that place out.

If you’re talking about access to courses in your local market, the nicer courses usually prohibit non member play on the weekends. 

Weekdays are doable on occasion but it doesn't matter... The club in question is wait listed.

My club is owned by ClubCorp.  I selected it only for the club and course.  I have found little value in the "play other courses" feature, but that's just me.  When I travel for golf, I usually play high-end courses.

I've been a member of five private clubs over the years.  Two were Club Corp.  I think all corporate-owned clubs are similar.  They are in it to make a profit as you might expect.

The only way to avoid the profit motive is to join a member-owned club and those usually cost lots of money.

• Like 2

I am with invited clubs in Georgia.  Tee times are somewhat accessible on weekend mornings with my home club, but the whole "market membership" with access to 20+ courses is a scam.  The desirable courses only allow 2 outside tee times per day....and with Atlanta having 20+ course, that is thousands of people trying to get into 2 tee times.  Next to impossible, even if it's a Wednesday afternoon.  I get why they do it - courses are busier than ever because golf is booming, but still kinda sucks.

1 hour ago, Drock25 said:

I am with invited clubs in Georgia.  Tee times are somewhat accessible on weekend mornings with my home club, but the whole "market membership" with access to 20+ courses is a scam.  The desirable courses only allow 2 outside tee times per day....and with Atlanta having 20+ course, that is thousands of people trying to get into 2 tee times.  Next to impossible, even if it's a Wednesday afternoon.  I get why they do it - courses are busier than ever because golf is booming, but still kinda sucks.

Yup it used to be awesome.  It sucks now, I have dropped all the adders and only have my home course membership no travel benefits 

On 8/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, vallygolf said:

Morning tee times are impossible unless you are on at the exact moment the tee sheet opens, and even then anything before 10am is difficult to manage.  In 2011 I could show up nearly any time and play, not so any more.  As noted in the other thread it is the same people always getting the morning tee times.  Not sure how that is managed, but it is always the case.  

I've heard that computer-savvy folks write up a little script that can be scheduled to run right as the tee sheet opens, and grab the tee time in a couple seconds or less. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 8/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, vallygolf said:

Morning tee times are impossible unless you are on at the exact moment the tee sheet opens, and even then anything before 10am is difficult to manage.  In 2011 I could show up nearly any time and play, not so any more.  As noted in the other thread it is the same people always getting the morning tee times.  Not sure how that is managed, but it is always the case.

It's a bot, an army of members, a hook-up in the pro shop, or some combination of the three.  

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I just dumped my membership at a ClubCorp/Invited club after less than a year. It was awful. The golf course was always crowded with an obscene outside play. Customer service was atrocious, which is especially troublesome when you're having to fight billing errors every month. And the price gouging for club events was shocking. Horrible.

But, I'll take some of the blame because I belonged to another ClubCorp course about 5 years ago in a different state and it was an equally crappy experience. I swore I'd never do it again but I caved to avoid a lengthy waiting list at other area clubs.

Just a garbage organization.

I belong to a Club Corp club (now called Invited). Being retired I enjoy the availability of other courses. I'm in a large metropolitan area so there are seven other member clubs within about an hour. This is beneficial when we aerate or I simply want a change of scenery. Never had any issue getting tee times for other courses. I just call the 800 number and tell them the date and approximate time desired. Another benefit is that being owned by a large corporation any emergency can be quickly handled (availability of deep pockets). Last year we had a tornado come through our club that caused extensive damage. Our general manager said he called Club Corp and was told to just get things fixed. Actually we got several improvements - all with no assessment. 

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

Stay as far away from Invited Fair Oaks Ranch CC. Poorly managed and maintained. The clubhouse is dark and dank.  Very little contact wit the manager and golf professionals. They hide out to keep from being confronted by the membership on the condition of the clubhouse and grounds. Lots of undisciplined children throughout the club, driving range and golf course. I quit after 2 1/2 years and gave myself a raise. The public courses in the surrounding area a San Antonio are in better shape and professionally managed. 

Edited by darnthealarm
  • Haha 1

We toured an Invited club last winter. The tour was scheduled for an hour, but only lasted 15 minutes. We were not taken into the pro shop, or introduced to anyone. The clubhouse was dark, and the carpet looked dirty. The grill/bar smelled bad. The membership director threw numbers at us, but gave no indication that he really wanted us to join. To say we were less than impressed would be a huge understatement.

We belong to an Invited Club in AZ. The clubhouse is beautiful and the courses are as well and manicured perfectly. We do t have any issues getting tee times, although for earlier tee times you do need to get online and request early morning. We also belong to a member owned club in another state.  I like our Invited club much better. No politics to get things done. No accessments when improvements are made. As an xlife member we also get a nice discount on the food in our clubhouse 

I used to have club corps travel as one of my clubs was an affiliate.  I enjoyed it for the years we had it.  At that time of my life the courses were better than what I would play otherwise.  I played some pretty impressive courses to be honest (Pete Dye Golf Club, Firestone South, Omni Bedford Springs...).

I made multiple trips around the courses I could play for cart fee only.

When they changed to invited, we dropped for various reasons.  I don't really miss it.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:16 AM, Drock25 said:

Did Invited buy up the whole Canongate operation in the Atlanta area and many other mid-tier privates?

If so, ouch, they must have a virtual stranglehold on all but the higher-end equity clubs and maybe a handful of independent privates (Rivermont, CC of Roswell, Berkeley Hills.)

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

58 minutes ago, mshills said:

Did Invited buy up the whole Canongate operation in the Atlanta area and many other mid-tier privates?

If so, ouch, they must have a virtual stranglehold on all but the higher-end equity clubs and maybe a handful of independent privates (Rivermont, CC of Roswell, Berkeley Hills.)

Pretty sure Invited bought ALL of the Cannongate clubs.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

3 hours ago, mshills said:

Club Corp bought all of Canongate courses. The impression I have is that they bought them to get The Manor, Atlanta National, and White Columns. Over time they have sold off many of the mid-tier and lower end courses that were part of the Canongate network.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

35 minutes ago, TM_HOYER said:

Club Corp bought all of Canongate courses. The impression I have is that they bought them to get The Manor, Atlanta National, and White Columns. Over time they have sold off many of the mid-tier and lower end courses that were part of the Canongate network.

Thanks. Obviously I’ve been gone from Atlanta for more than a few years. Was a Canongate member, I loved the Old Course at White Oak and enjoyed Summergrove too. 

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

2 hours ago, mshills said:

Thanks. Obviously I’ve been gone from Atlanta for more than a few years. Was a Canongate member, I loved the Old Course at White Oak and enjoyed Summergrove too. 

A few courses like Summergrove and The Frog were not owned by Canongate. They were contracted to manage the courses, which at some point, the courses choose to find someone else to handle the management.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Invited has a stranglehold on the mid-tier and low end privates in the Atlanta area.  I have not played any of the Cannongate courses since Invited took over.  I understand the mid-tiers like the Manor and Atlanta National and WC have some hefty initiation fees but are doing quite well.  I was just at WC for a tennis match and the facilities were looking good.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been playing Canongate and White Oak for 30 + plus years.  Club Corp is definitely a sore spot with myself and most people I play with. 

- Pre Club Corp access to 21-25 clubs around the Atlanta perimeter for a fair rate.  Had a specific window to book weekend times outside of your home cluster.  Obviously a fair practice.  

- Post Club Corp my bill is now very close to double and I have access to two clubs (Canongate and White Oak).  Inflation would account for a portion of this of course.  Canongate has been in very poor shape (taking the high road by saying poor shape) for close to a year or longer.  Members under my membership tier wanting to play decent greens are forced to White Oak causing congestion.

-  I went to White Oak at 16:00 on a Tuesday recently as a single.  Was told I couldn’t play due to outside tournaments on both courses (corp tournaments, not USGA).  Go to Canongate and one course closed and the other punched greens.  Poor planning and form to the membership.  People all over the closed side.   Club Corp is booking outside corp tourneys at a high frequency.  Also allowing member money  games to book large allotments of tee times daily.  I enjoy playing some of these groups but it used to be a once a week expectation.

- If you would like to include The Clubs of Peachtree City there is a significant markup.  If you want to include Planterra you pay more than my average monthly total before playing any golf.  Planterra is a nice club with excellent course conditions after the renovation.  Supposedly capped membership as it’s priced as a premium club.  Played there last Thursday at noon and our foursome was waiting on every tee by the 9th hole.  By 18 the group in front of us was waiting on the tee, our group was waiting behind them, a single who must have been a masochist waiting behind us, and the foursome behind the single walking off of 17 green.  On 15 a 60 year old man threw a temper tantrum yelling and looking like a used car lot inflatable noodle man waving his arms and yelling at our group as he couldn’t see we were waiting on every tee.  Had to yell back at him to calm down and stop acting like a child.  The group I was playing with had a confrontation they did not instigate the week prior as well.

- Known several current/former pro’s/asst pro’s in the area for a long time.  The only content Club Corp employee I’ve met are the cart barn retirees getting free golf.  

- Club Corp eliminated all twilight rates for members.  Eliminated green fees and increased cart fees so you pay the same amount for a replay as a member.

-  You can assure a starter will verify you have paid.  Also that a ranger will NEVER be monitoring pace of play or addressing the 12 unrepaired ball marks on greens.

Club Corp appears they will put money into the PTC centric clubs that are over crowded revenue generators with steadily increasing property values.  The higher end northern perimeter clubs as well I’m sure.  I have no complaints about White Oak conditions while Canongate is neglected.  What I loved about Canongate and White Oak under Canongate was you always had an option to play a well paced round with reasonable conditions outside of peak weekend times.  Now it’s play fast on poor conditions or slow with good conditions at a significantly increased rate.  It’s not the no frills golf centric Canongate group I was fond of.  Hey, you can have Taylor Swift night, Paint and Pour, or a Speakeasy Murder Mystery night every weekend…HELL YEAH, gets me pumped just thinking about it!

I’d move on quickly if possible.  However, as previously mentioned Club Corp has a stranglehold on the mid tier golf range around the perimeter of ATL.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they off load Canongate eventually.  It’s never going to be a Braellin or Planterra type membership.   End of my rant:). Club Corp doesn’t care of course, maybe someone here will!  South ATL had a good mid tier seteup pre Club Corp imho.

• Like 2

The outside network access is nice if you travel.  I believe it can be used twice a month.  As mentioned it’s usually two tee times in the 0900 -1000 range and two in the 1300-1400 range allotted for outside play.  I have used it several times.

Edited by Walter Sobchak