2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Will Wilson Golf ever rise to relevance again?

Jag80

The first set of irons I bought were Wilson 1200GE.

They were great marketers then with major victories just a distant memory 35 years ago.

Sadly, the golf equipment world has passed Wilson by. No matter how good their clubs are, most will never even glance at the brand when shopping in bricks and mortar or online. 

2 hours ago, Fwitz11 said:

Happy to see Wilson getting some love. I have always thought there irons looked fantastic but never knew enough about quality. Seems like it’s right on par with the others. Will have to try out a set.

Wilson irons are right up there with Mizuno, Miura and Bridgestone in my opinion. I love the soft solid feel of the Wilson Staff CB irons. Fit and finish of the iron heads is excellent on the sets I have. Weight progression has been very good so they are easy to build to your desired swing weight. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

Wilson irons are right up there with Mizuno, Miura and Bridgestone in my opinion. I love the soft solid feel of the Wilson Staff CB irons. Fit and finish of the iron heads is excellent on the sets I have. Weight progression has been very good so they are easy to build to your desired swing weight. 

I always seem to be bouncing between players distance iron and GI as a mid handicapper. Are sets like the D9 still as solid as the staff sets?

22 hours ago, hammergolf said:

To make a difference in that segment takes a TON of money. I will say this, Wilson has Tour level products. I have no doubt that if they spent tens of millions of dollars they could win on tour. The issue is, would the investment of capital going to the Tour give you the return needed to justify it.

Ask Nike.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

22 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

They have a long way to go. Its all about branding and reputation. Why do you think the big 4 spend tens of millions on it? The big 4 have good R&D and products to back it up, but the marketing will always get the bulk of the expenditure. 

You see how hard it is for Mizuno who has good performing AND good looking products.

Wilson current has very few that are both.

Money, money, money. Wilson will need to spend millions in the right personnel to design and build good looking and performing clubs and untold millions more to market them - if the company can stomach that.

Not to mention Wilson has market penetration in other sports and that can negatively effect their golf branding. Just ask Mizuno...

Don't forget, Mizuno has a completely different market that it can rely upon.....And Wilson isn't as GLOBAL as Mizuno 

17 hours ago, launcher said:

As many have stated. Wilson is as good as anything out there. Marketing is huge factor, but product cycles are the most important. Even the big four have had some lousy product cycles, but Wilson hasn't had enough really good ones. The C300 line has been their best. They need to follow that up to stay relevant. 

Same for the ball market. The Duo Professional was a fantastic ball, but then the replace it with the Triad? Not as good, and only in white? Makes no sense really. 

IMO, Wilson Staff has too many low compression offerings. The 50 elite and Zip are so close in performance (I played both), one could be dropped wihout any issue then, The Duo Pro could have been retained, or they could have kept all three but pick one and increase compression (somewhere in the 70-75 range) on it to fill the gap between low and high compression offerings.

My first set of irons were the Wilson Staff Dynapower irons. 1-PW. Wilson were pretty popular at the time, with the Titleist, RAM, and McGreggor thrown in for good measure. (this is my memory from our CC as a young, impressionable junior). I like them, cut my teeth and learned to play on them. I also have a set of Wilson Staff Ultra 45 at my Dad's place that were excellent clubs, right up there with the DCI, 845, and PE2 of the day. 

Wilson pro level stuff is as good as anything else out there, but they lack the marketing budget to let us know that. They've also tried some funky gimmicks over the years, that I think only diminished their products in golfer's eyes. I think if they concentrated on irons, wedges, and maybe putters (the 8802 is one of the GOAT's) and worked a little harder on player contracts and marketing, they'd surge forward in popularity and rankings.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 hours ago, rd1959 said:

IMO, Wilson Staff has too many low compression offerings. The 50 elite and Zip are so close in performance (I played both), one could be dropped wihout any issue then, The Duo Pro could have been retained, or they could have kept all three but pick one and increase compression (somewhere in the 70-75 range) on it to fill the gap between low and high compression offerings.

Agree they have to many ball offerings, but don't they all, (Callaway, Titleist, TM)? I believe the Triad fits the gap you're referring to, but around 85 for compression. The Duo Pro is the softest urethane ball I've ever played without it feeling like a mushy two piece. Have gone to the Tour B RXS as a replacement. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

53 minutes ago, launcher said:

Agree they have to many ball offerings, but don't they all, (Callaway, Titleist, TM)? I believe the Triad fits the gap you're referring to, but around 85 for compression. The Duo Pro is the softest urethane ball I've ever played without it feeling like a mushy two piece. Have gone to the Tour B RXS as a replacement. 

There's room in their lineup between the low comp. balls (50) and the Triad (85) for another model, make it around 70 comp. I consider the Triad a mid compression ball comparable to balls like the Top Flite Gamer and the Maxfli Tour. 

25 minutes ago, rd1959 said:

There's room in their lineup between the low comp. balls (50) and the Triad (85) for another model, make it around 70 comp. I consider the Triad a mid compression ball comparable to balls like the Top Flite Gamer and the Maxfli Tour. 

Agree again. They could have just kept the Duo Pro in the lineup, as it's around 65 for compression. The Triad makes no sense to me at all, as there are so many urethane balls at that firmness already. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

Funny seeing the triad getting some flak because I have switched a few golfers to it seems it’s the most consistent thing on the market. It’s dispersion is amazing and everyone that reviews it sings it’s praises. Not saying the posters here are wrong but surprising to me after so much positive feedback from reviews and other golfers around me. 

Purchased a set of new Wilson Staff Graphite Dynapower Irons delivered for a competitive price a few months ago. Owned Ping, Mizuno, Takomo, and Taylormade irons in the past, I'm 68.

Completely changed my swing because of knee problems at the same time the Wilson Irons were purchased. These clubs are long hitting and just as accurate as my previous Irons. They have AI designed club face that has forgiveness when the shot is hit on the toe side of center. They are not as nice looking as blades, but Wilson did a nice job on the looks for a game improvement club. Still playing with ProV1s, have not tried Wilson balls yet. The new swing & Wilson Irons are working great for me!

2023101721100495-4472901102487117908-L.jpg.da2d1bcdeb2483d36cf0b8d4ca76eb5c.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 4

Bill

Ping G400 Driver G425 5 Wood G410 7 Wood

Wilson Staff Dynapower 5 Iron thru GW

Cleveland CBX2 50 & 56 Wedges & HB SOFT Milled #8 Putter

I sure hope so. They're a classic American company and they make a pretty great product. As many have already said, their players' irons are some of the most beautiful looking irons out there right now and their wedges aren't too far behind. The Cortex driver that came out five or so years ago was also quite good looking. The problem is getting a marketable guy on Tour to win while with Wilson Staff AND with a Wilson Staff driver in the bag. If they can come out with a great driver and get a Tour guy to start winning with one in the bag, people will buy it. 

My dad is still a single-digit high-ish speed player (about 100mph driver club head speed) and for years has had a thing for messing around with different brands of premium golf balls, including those outside the big 4 or 5 (Srixon before they were much of a thing in the US, MacGregor, Nicklaus, Maxfli, Wilson Staff to name a few from over the years), and he says the Wilson Staff Model is just as good as any other ball that's out right now. I've also got a friend who is a really high speed player (I saw him register 129mph club head speed once or twice on TrackMan when we were in college) and we recently played in a scramble where he was hitting the Staff Model off the tee. I'm not sure why he was playing it since he had never played one before but he was very impressed with it.

Simply put, the answer to how Wilson Golf/Wilson Staff will rise from the ashes is probably doing or both of the following:

• Come out with a great driver at a competitive price point, AND/OR
  • Come out with a great golf ball at a competitive price point

And following that up with both of the following:

• Find a highly ranked and marketable player(s) to use it and have success with it on Tour (preferably in Majors)
  • Do all the marketing needed to back the product up (advertising with the player(s), product demos at local courses/shops/golf expos, etc.)

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6-X
Nike VR Pro Ltd. 15* Diamana Blueboard 83x
Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18* Aldila NV 85 X
Srixon Z765 4-5 Z965 6-9 KBS C-Taper 120 S
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Raw 46* 50* 54* 58* DG S300
Compass Golf Co. PING ZING-style
TaylorMade TP5x

On 10/15/2023 at 1:48 AM, Straphael said:

Funny seeing the triad getting some flak because I have switched a few golfers to it seems it’s the most consistent thing on the market. It’s dispersion is amazing and everyone that reviews it sings it’s praises. Not saying the posters here are wrong but surprising to me after so much positive feedback from reviews and other golfers around me. 

Nothing wrong with the Triad. Plenty of players find it is a great ball for them. People like to knock Wilson. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Wilson makes solid equipment.  Somewhere in the balance sheet is a ratio of advertising cost vs manufacturing and r&d cost vs price point.  Whatever is it that they do it works for them and they continue to make quality sporting goods.

I would agree that their golfing products are better than the perception most golfers have of the WS brand.  I've been most impressed with WS golf balls.  I can't understand how they make these great balls than nobody knows about.  One example would be the 50 Elite, a fantastic two piece ball that suits the needs of many golfers for a great price. 

If they were a DTC company everyone would be singing their praises.

• Like 4

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Some like the irons, some don't. Some like Triad and others like a ball thats discontinued. Woods have gotten great reviews in Europe and in the states. Another website name the DP 3wood its best in it's testing review. Still, it's like people are afraid to try the brand.

They have bags on tour but it's mainly journeymen. None have the driver in the bag.

They don't treat golf like they treat tennis, or any ball sport. They dominate football, basketball and baseball with the ball. A lot of us come to golf from sports we played a kids. We know Wilson balls, bats, racquets, gloves, Seems you could market against that.

Get their tech reps into the field into public and private courses and create some form of the Pepsi Challenge. (Yes, I am old) If it's tried iWilson will win a fair amount. 

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

On 10/12/2023 at 11:22 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Let’s hope not. If they get real popular then the great prices we’re getting from Wilson right now will rise! 

This is exactly the problem IMO. They've conditioned the buying public to ignore their MSRP and wait 12 months to buy the same clubs at half off. 

I'm willing to bet that no one on this thread is buying Wilson gear at full retail upon release. Everyone knows they just have to be a little patient and they can buy Mizuno quality at half the cost. 

That's a great value for the consumer but doesn't seem like a very good deal for Wilson. 

If there are Wilson fitting carts, I’ve never seen them.  If there are Wilson Demo Days, I’ve never known of one. No ads, print or TV.  So the question becomes whether or not Wilson is really trying to break through.  

I’m 71, and I remember when Wilson and MacGregor were dominant in golf equipment.  The name “Wilson Staff” for clubs and balls was elite.  I played college tennis, and we got Wilson rackets as team equipment (Jack Kramer’s or Stan Smith’s, your pick). My son was a baseball player, and the Wilson A2000 is still one of the iconic pro-level gloves on the market.  I was a HS basketball coach, and the Wilson Jet ball is not only still the gold standard of leather basketballs, but the official ball of the NBA.  Same with the NFL; The Duke is the official ball, and a ton of college and HS teams also use Wilson footballs.

So Wilson as an elite global, multi-sport company is unquestioned.  In fact, I’m not sure there is another company in the world with as much of a multi-sport, top level presence as Wilson, even today.  I don’t think anybody that uses current Wilson golf clubs or balls has anything but good to say about them; Wilson makes quality stuff in every sport.

So I’ve got to figure that they are unwilling to spend the money they’d have to spend to TRY to break thru to the highest level of golf equipment sales, with absolutely NO guarantee that it would work.  Doesn’t mean that Wilson is ok with where they are, but might mean there is no easy path forward to greater sales.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, me05501 said:

This is exactly the problem IMO. They've conditioned the buying public to ignore their MSRP and wait 12 months to buy the same clubs at half off. 

I'm willing to bet that no one on this thread is buying Wilson gear at full retail upon release. Everyone knows they just have to be a little patient and they can buy Mizuno quality at half the cost. 

That's a great value for the consumer but doesn't seem like a very good deal for Wilson. 

Oh, I think they still make money. What price cuts prove is how overpriced golf clubs are upon release. People are acting like Wilson Golf is struggling. It is part of a huge, successful company. 

You can buy new gear at a discount from any OEM if you wait. All the prices are ridiculous. I rarely buy any irons at full retail. No reason to do that. All of them go on sale sooner or later. Or you find new releases that someone buys and immediately does not like. Or buy components such as Maltby, which are excellent clubs. Irons don’t change that much if at all. I don’t even like to pay full retail for drivers but I did in the case of Paradym Triple Diamond because I loved it. But then I was getting a double bonus on trade-ins that made a big cost difference. And I’ll splurge on a putter here and there but I am often getting a previous release. 

Really, buying the Wilson CB’s is about as close as I’ve come — paid retail, but at the sale price after the new one was announced, but then paid to have Modus 120’s installed. Granted, that happened after three full testing sessions. It was the tight dispersion more than anything. They kept testing as more accurate for me, so something about the shape fits my eye. 

You can find great gear mining the close outs and barely used previous releases. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches