2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Is Ping ChipR worth it?

JP1000

I tried it, but found it’s just too little loft. Even a few more degrees would help a ton.

It seems like they designed it for people who want to play a bump-and-run where you land it short of the green. That’s fine on a links course, but if you have thick rough around your greens, it just isn’t going to be predictable. 

There’s no check on it at all with the ChipR, so stopping the ball, especially when you’re short-sided, is hard. 

Cleveland’s approach, with 42 degrees instead of (I think) 38 degrees on the ChipR, makes a lot more sense to me.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I also think a 7 iron is terrible for chipping, unless you have a traditionally lofted set of irons or a TON of green to work with. 8 or 9 iron is much more useful in my experience, even when you have lots of room for the ball to roll out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I bought the ping chipr because I struggled with that part of the game.  I practiced with it a few times and it is good for what it is, but it is too one dimensional.  I watched videos by the short game chef and Dan Grieve and practiced what they are teaching.  I put a lot of work in and my short game improved quite a bit this year.  I can see someone using the chipr, but I wanted more variety in my short game.  

To me, you’re asking two questions in one; 1) are chippers worth taking up a place in your bag? AND 2) is the Ping ChipR worth a premium?

1) for a weekend warrior with limiter time for practice: absolutely! For a skilled short game player: Perhaps less so. 

2) I use the ChipR because of an added level of forgiveness compared to clevelands smart sole - having played both. I agree that the loft on the smart sole is slightly better for many situations. But the High bounce on the smart sole sometimes makes it more dificult to use on challenging lies. 

• Like 1

Tangentially related; if anyone wants to try a chipper for cheap, the Wilson Harmonized Chipper is a great one to try. I got one for my wife since she's a 2-3 times a year player and she has far more success with it than trying to teach her how to chip an iron. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

Only works on slow greens. 

There's no way you can use this on greens running north of 10 on the stimp. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
Ping G410 Plus 9*  w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

I really like mine, got it just as it was released. Find it plays better on certain courses compared to others. Doesn't get played as much on courses with elevated greens. Otherwise I feel like I'm getting many more 1-putts and many fewer 3-putts using ChipR compared to life before it. I like the sole design, head weight, and upright lie angle. They all work together so that I never completely screw up a chip shot.

• Like 1

So here is my take on it having owned the ChipR once and have another one coming next week 🤪

I bought one when it first came out.  I had the Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 C in the bag at the time.  I did some bake offs betweens the two clubs from just off the green and the Smart Sole won out.  As many mentioned above, from just off the green, I found the ChipR to run out too much.  

The Smart Sole was better around the green as its more lofted (42*) than the ChipR 38.5 (which is 1* stronger than my 9i). 

I took it to the chipping green at my local course and it was more of the same.  Just too hot for short chips.   I then told myself, you don't chip with a 7, 8 or 9i, why would you expect this to work?    So I sold it.

Since then, I have gamed the Smart Sole for the past 2-3 yrs.  I noticed though that I wasn't using it as much from just off the green because I have more touch and accuracy with my UW, 56* or 60* on those shorter chips.  Actually a pretty good chipper of the ball and make several chips per season with my wedges to where with the Smart Sole I have only made 1 chip with it and it was from like 40 yds out.    Where I did find the Smart Sole useful was if the hole was cut on the opposite side of the green it was nice to bump it and let it run back to the hole.  

I also used it alot to punch under tree limbs but found that sometimes with the 42* of loft it would come off higher than I expected and it would hit the limbs.  

Fast forward to now. Over the past 2 seasons I started playing with a guy I coach baseball with.  He uses his Ping G 8i to chip with alot.  Especially in that 20-40 yd range.  he will bump it and let it run on and sure as sh*t most times it nestles up within a couple feet of the hole.  I realized that type of shot was not really part of my short game.  I would always try and hit lofted wedge shots higher and try and carry it back to the hole which is dicey if you don't judge it right.  

Last couple of rounds I have tried the choke down on the shaft, toe down 8i or 9i (mentioned above) bump and run with some decent success.  

Only downside is I play graphite shafts in my irons so choking down really far on the shaft makes the club feel super light.  

So today I bought another ChipR to give it a whirl again for those 15-50 yd shots from off the green when i want to play a bump n run type shot vs hitting a wedge in high.  

I know when I first adopted the Smart Sole C I began to over use it.  So like any club I had to learn to pick my spots with it.  So when I get the ChipR I will need to watch not trying to over use it.    

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

I had considered a ChipR when they first came out. I was in short game funk. It was the weakest part of my game and I went down EVERY rabbit hole trying to fix it.  Every short game method.  ChipRs'.  Trying to bump and run everything.  

I got turned onto Dan Grieve's book '3 Releases:The Short Game System'.  It was a complete and utter game changer.  I can not recommend the book highly enough.  Use Release 1 and you can pretty much chip with anything you want to.  He's got some stuff on YT if you want a feel for what's in the book. Dude is a wizard.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:29 PM, st1800e said:

Just use your 7 or 8 iron , choked up, possibly with the grip you use when putting.   

Basically it is the same loft, however it is shorter and more upright. A lot of people will say it is a waste but I would add it to the bag and track it against a 60° and see which one you use more (or which one saves you more shots). If you like it and your scores come down, go for it! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eric61 said:

Might not be a popular opinion, but I also think a 7 iron is terrible for chipping, unless you have a traditionally lofted set of irons or a TON of green to work with. 8 or 9 iron is much more useful in my experience, even when you have lots of room for the ball to roll out.

Well you have to consider that when this was more popular a generation or two back, the average 7 iron loft was closer to a modern 8 or 9 iron, so that would make sense in a lot of ways

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

It's a very YMMV thing.  I tried it and several other chippers and it just doesnt work for my game. I do not like to have the ball land short of the green on short shots.  And I had trouble with distance control.

But I have several buddies who use chippers on every shot inside 100 yards and from every lie.  They are pretty successful with them.

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Cleveland CBX4 52, Smart Sole 4.0 58 wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

On 10/13/2023 at 9:05 PM, mantan said:

I got turned onto Dan Grieve's book '3 Releases:The Short Game System'.  It was a complete and utter game changer.  I can not recommend the book highly enough.  Use Release 1 and you can pretty much chip with anything you want to.  He's got some stuff on YT if you want a feel for what's in the book. Dude is a wizard.

Thank you.  I will definitely check it out.

For the right person, it can save strokes.

Instead of that, I use a 9-iron, stand closer to the ball, put the toe down, and use a putting stroke.  Taking the wrists out of the action removes one variable.  I find that to be the most efficient way for me.  Sometimes I use a PW, sometimes an 8-iron.  Same effect.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

My G425 6 hybrid is just as good and I can use the 6h throughout the round on other shots. With a CHIPR - it's really a one type shot pony

That being said - My wife and lots of seniors benefit from the CHIPR. She can't hit a PW consistently- but she can hit the CHIPR on a consistent line 

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

When I had the ChipR the first time around it was a pretty cool full shot club too. With the heft it was pretty easy to hit about the same yardage as my PW. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

On 10/13/2023 at 7:02 PM, eric61 said:

I tried it, but found it’s just too little loft. Even a few more degrees would help a ton.

It seems like they designed it for people who want to play a bump-and-run where you land it short of the green. That’s fine on a links course, but if you have thick rough around your greens, it just isn’t going to be predictable. 

There’s no check on it at all with the ChipR, so stopping the ball, especially when you’re short-sided, is hard. 

Cleveland’s approach, with 42 degrees instead of (I think) 38 degrees on the ChipR, makes a lot more sense to me.

Same here. I'd like to see a 51º-ish model. And if you're going to toe-down, for me I'm usually using a 54º to do that. More distance control, and that's what you must have to be a good chipper. It's not how close it rolls by the pin; it's how easy the putt is.

• Like 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg