5 Iron v. 5 Hybrid Showdown ... It Wasn't Close

uglande

2 hours ago, mantan said:

Oh gosh no. The Max shot captured is usually something that was downwind/downhill or both. Not what I could dial up.  And usually something bad. The 6-iron shot  was me making sure I had enough to cover the water on a par 3 with a narrow green.  I absolutely flushed it and hit the cart path behind the green and it bounded down a slope on the next hole.  Nice triple bogey on that hole as I had to hit a partial wedge back to the green, hit the same cart path and it went into the water I tried to carry on the tee shot.  Good times.

I get it..that’s what I thought.  Just seemed off to me to include it but must just show automatically. 👍

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 1/5/2024 at 8:22 PM, jlevitt9 said:

What I have found is I don't like hitting hybrids from tees

You may be interested to learn that it’s not mandatory to use a tee from the tee box.

🤓

Honestly, I get you.  I think this is why some players make a grass tee, if that’s the term for it.  Laura Davies style.

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have 26-23-20* TSR1 hybrids and still carry a 25* 5i.  Whether I pull the 5i or 26H depends on the shot at hand, landing zone, the weather, my mood, etc.  I can't see ever going down to a 29* hybrid, but never say never.

My wife is getting back into golf and is more confident with hybrids/woods vs irons.  I grabbed her some new $cheap Cally Mavrik Max 33-30-27-24 on eBay -> it's surprising how cheap you can get these from some of the liquidators.  I'll get her in the home-Sim this winter and probably decide to keep 3 out of the 4, depending on her gapping.

Ya, a bag full of woods/hybrids consumes a lot of space for headcovers.  I switched to sock covers with small pom-poms on all my hybrids to save space.  I have a couple bags of clubs, and in one of them I bought used Cleveland Mashie covers on eBay -> nice small covers, durable, $cheap.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 3

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I have no pride, nor brand loyalty, when it comes to golf clubs. I have ZX5s, TEE hybrids, Cobra driver, etc. I definitely have the iron line of demarcation at the 5 iron; how do you tell? When you are in the fairway and you hope you have 190 yards instead of 180 yards because you’d rather hit your 4 hybrid instead of your 5 iron….

My problem with higher lofted hybrids is an issue that pervades almost all “game improvement” clubs - they assume that additional forgiveness also requires help fixing a slice. So a 5 hybrid tends to have a rather closed face, and if your miss is a hook, like mine, it’s really disconcerting to look at at address. I have 3 and 4 hybrids and love them, but I struggle to find a 5H that I can look down at and not feel like it’s going due left. 

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 10:23 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

It doesn't have giant amounts of offset like the previous model of ZX4, and isn't as big as the ZXU on the bottom.

image.png.22340fd819df32efbd3b0309a8693bfc.png

Not sure about that offset part? Unless the gap is right there at 4.35mm 🙂

1 hour ago, LPSISCO said:

they assume that additional forgiveness also requires help fixing a slice

One of the biggest "problems" in finding right clubs. More often than not extends to any type of clubs.

1 hour ago, LPSISCO said:

So a 5 hybrid tends to have a rather closed face, and if your miss is a hook, like mine, it’s really disconcerting to look at at address. I have 3 and 4 hybrids and love them, but I struggle to find a 5H that I can look down at and not feel like it’s going due left. 

Something adjustable you can adjust most open (and flat)?

19 hours ago, jlevitt9 said:

I've never understood the argument for "long" when it comes to hybrids and irons. long just means your gapping is screwed up and you need to add more wedges, lol. 

When I was playing hybrids, I played Adams Pro-mini/ Super 9031 proto, because they were the most iron like, they flew a little higher than the iron, retained their spin on the face if you caught it a little high, it wasn’t like a low spinning runner that goes an extra 15y and the faces were not as hot as a fairway wood, like the hybrids are now. 

most modern hybrids just seem to launch super high for me. The new ones are great if you want to replace a 7 wood or 4 wood, but a 4 or 5 iron, not so much IMHO

I’ve got 4 hybrids waiting to shaft up ranging from 20x2 to-21 to–25° but I want to get my gaps dialed in since im dropping the 3+5 wood for a 4 wood, plus I’m selling my gamers set that didn’t get much play, mostly range time which are Mizuno HMB’s (3 kids 6y-4y-1y with 60 hr work weeks) , so I’m moving on to some old Maltby DMB’s which are slightly weaker lofts, but a big change in VCOG which is what I’m looking for due to my style of play 

4 hours ago, Antmeister said:

image.png.22340fd819df32efbd3b0309a8693bfc.png

Not sure about that offset part? Unless the gap is right there at 4.35mm 🙂

One of the biggest "problems" in finding right clubs. More often than not extends to any type of clubs.

Something adjustable you can adjust most open (and flat)?

I actually just bought the matching 5H to my 3 and 4, but with a stiffer shaft to see if that will help the issue. But the next step is exactly what you suggested - something smaller that is adjustable. 

18 hours ago, LPSISCO said:

I have no pride, nor brand loyalty, when it comes to golf clubs. I have ZX5s, TEE hybrids, Cobra driver, etc. I definitely have the iron line of demarcation at the 5 iron; how do you tell? When you are in the fairway and you hope you have 190 yards instead of 180 yards because you’d rather hit your 4 hybrid instead of your 5 iron….

My problem with higher lofted hybrids is an issue that pervades almost all “game improvement” clubs - they assume that additional forgiveness also requires help fixing a slice. So a 5 hybrid tends to have a rather closed face, and if your miss is a hook, like mine, it’s really disconcerting to look at at address. I have 3 and 4 hybrids and love them, but I struggle to find a 5H that I can look down at and not feel like it’s going due left. 

Callaway Paradym 5H, just received one from CPO. Sits perfect. Hope this fixes my shaky 5 iron.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

I find this thread fascinating, I’m hovering around an 11 and what really has opened up my game was expanding my Hybrids. 

initially had a pxg gen5 4 hybrid that I use for 200~ ish shots. I found my game from 170-200 was wildly inconsistent with my irons, just couldn’t quite figure it out round to round no matter how much I worked a it. I’m very confident 150 and in. 

ended up snagging a PXG gen5 5 hybrid that I play for 185-195 and after loving the results I added a 6 hybrid (28°) for my 170-180/185 shots and it’s almost become my

favorite club lol. Can hit a draw, straight, fade if I have to. 

the PXG hybrid are really great for adjustability- I’ve got them all in a flatter setting and the heavier weight in the toe and it keeps me from turning over too much. If you are more of a sweeper Like Me I think it’s a huge benefit! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dkpnole said:

I find this thread fascinating, I’m hovering around an 11 and what really has opened up my game was expanding my Hybrids. 

initially had a pxg gen5 4 hybrid that I use for 200~ ish shots. I found my game from 170-200 was wildly inconsistent with my irons, just couldn’t quite figure it out round to round no matter how much I worked a it. I’m very confident 150 and in. 

ended up snagging a PXG gen5 5 hybrid that I play for 185-195 and after loving the results I added a 6 hybrid (28°) for my 170-180/185 shots and it’s almost become my

favorite club lol. Can hit a draw, straight, fade if I have to. 

the PXG hybrid are really great for adjustability- I’ve got them all in a flatter setting and the heavier weight in the toe and it keeps me from turning over too much. If you are more of a sweeper Like Me I think it’s a huge benefit! 

Good review.  I live close to one of their retail locations and I think I need to get over there and try the hybrids.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On 1/6/2024 at 9:21 PM, Soccerrick10 said:

Heck, us old guys found out about this the hard way.  About every 1.5 years, an iron drops out and is replaced with a hybrid.

Right now I'm playing D, 5w, 7w, 9w. then 5h, 6h and 50/50 on 7h vs. 7i.  Probably next year the 7i will go.  I'm not ready (yet) to go to all hybrids.

The hardest part is finding a bag to fit all the head covers.  Seriously, I gave up on all the carry bags.  I just ordered a Vessel Lux Midsize Staff bag for this coming year.  If I'm not riding, I'm using a push cart, so this should work.

On one hand, it sucks to get old.  On the other hand, I gave up golf with a job, twin kids and their sports.  Now I'm back and playing the best golf since I was in college.  That's what retirement and playing 3-5 times a week will do for you.

My pops just turned 70 and was carrying a 3i and 2H up until last year.  I literally had to buy him a 5W and physically place my 5H in his hand to get him to try something "non-traditional."  Now he has both in the bag lol.  He was a great player back in the day but it comes for us all...

• Like 3

Driver: Stealth 2 9*
3-Metal: TSi2 13.5* at D4 (+0.75)

5-Metal:  0341 Gen2 18*

4-Hybrid:  i25 22* 
Irons: i210 5-U
Wedges: SM8 54D, SM9 60M
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2MCS 
Ball: -Pro-V1x 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, mantan said:

It may be an offseason project. The line of demaracation in my bag is the 5-iron.  I am very comfortable with my 6-rion.  Garmin shows I average 173 with it. I trust pulling it out in any situation.  My confidence level with it is an 8.

My 4H is my security blanket club. Garmin shows I hit it 202 yards. My confidence level with it is a 10.

My 5-iron is the problem. It's intoxicating when I flush it.  But I only pull it out if there is a decent margin of error on the hole. My confidence level is a 3.

I need to swallow my pride and just look for a 5h.

Ditto.  I have a 5i with my set, but I carry a 5h instead (and a 3h and a 4h) 90% of the time.  The only time I've wished for a 5i in place of the 5h is in really windy conditions where I want a low ball flight.  But that is rare.

WITB:

• PXG 0311 XF Gen5 driver (12° set to 13.5°)
  • Adams Tight Lies (2021 model) 16° 3-wood
  • PXG 0311 XF Gen6 hybrid (19° set to 18°)
  • 4 & 5 Cleveland Launcher XL HALO irons
  • DW-6 Cleveland Launcher XL irons
  • 52 & 58 Cleveland Zipcore CBX wedges
  • Odyssey Eleven Triple Track S Putter or Cleveland HB Soft 10.5S
    (depending on which one has offended me less recently)

I agree with the findings of this thread 100%. Give me 10 balls with a 4 or 5 iron and I'll hit maybe 3 of them correctly (distance and strike). The simple fact that the miss is just not as messy with a hybrid is enough for me to know that's what is best for me...and for most if people can be honest with themselves. 

• Like 2

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

AI Smoke TD 3W w/ Ventus Black 8x

AI Smoke TD 7W w/ Ventus Black 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-G w/ KBS Tour V X
SM10 Raw 54D/58K

IDK anymore. 

When I put together my set about a year and half ago I went with a 4 iron (PXG 0311X) and a 4 hybrid (Srixon ZX MKII).  The lofts are close but the ball flight is different.  Much lower with the 4 iron and higher with the hybrid...pretty much as you might expect.  The distance, though, is different.  The 4 iron has a carry around 190 yards and the hybrid around 200 yards.  I like the 4 iron option because I can hit it lower and let it run out where the hybrid flight allows it to land soft and pretty much stop on a dime.

All that being said, I totally get the hybrid option replacing long irons.  Hell, look at some of the best LPGA players.  They're rocking all kinds of woods/hybrids at the top end of the bag.  For me, the only way I was going to play a 4 iron was a chunky soled option like the PXG.  I suspect when it comes time to switch out my irons I will probably re-configure a lot of things at the top of the bag and drop that 4 iron completely.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:48 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Good review.  I live close to one of their retail locations and I think I need to get over there and try the hybrids.

I absolutely recommend it, I did mine probably 1 1/2 years back and at the time I was fighting a slice and over the top, they fitted the first hybrid to help me with the right miss, as i worked on my swing and improved I now hit a consistent draw and that became problematic with the hybrid. Being able to adjust the lie and swap weights around is awesome and quickly helped me dial in the ball flight and shaping I want. Im sure there are better feeling or even looking hybrids but those 3 weights and lie settings really give an advantage imo! 

On 1/9/2024 at 3:12 PM, KingKong said:

...... The simple fact that the miss is just not as messy with a hybrid is enough for me to know that's what is best for me...and for most if people can be honest with themselves. 

The simple fact for many players is a hybrid is a messier miss. A big hook into the woods greenside is harder to recover from than a thin 4 iron in front of the green.

I am honest with myself,  I play a 4 and 5 hybrid but I'm not going to pretend they are orders of magnitude better than long irons.

Just a different miss pattern. 

Yes if I go to the driving range and hit 10 hybrids compared to 10 long irons the hybrid will average better. On course the hybrid misses are more destructive. 

A hybrid combines some design features of woods and some of irons. To some players it is the best of both worlds,  to some the worst of both worlds. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I replaced my 4i and 5i with hybrids this year. Has anyone compared results of a 3h vs a 7w, and what were the results?

I’ve been doing a little testing between a 20° hybrid that I play at 39” and a 22° 7w that I play at 40.75”, and they seem to fly close in distance and end up about the same in overall distance, on good strikes. 

The 7w is better off the deck, but the Hybrid is better off the tee, not much difference as far as dispersion goes, so far. 

My problem with the 7w is that I can have a 20y discrepancy in carry distance with the same ball speed. If I hit it like I would an iron with a negative AOA, it will have a nice penetrating flight that will hop and stop. If I pick it, or sweep it with a good strike it will fly 20 yards shorter.

My last range session with my 7w on the Rapsodo MLM I hit 8 balls with the 7W ranging from 142mph to 146mph,  the 2 that were 146mph flew 20yards apart, one at 208y with 13.2 launch, the other at 228y with 10.8 launch….. it doesn’t seem like I have to be that off to get wildly different distances.

Don’t get me wrong, the 20 yard difference would be great if I could do it on command, but that is above my ability, I feel like I’m making the same pass at the ball, 🤔 If I try to really focus on hitting down on it like an iron, I tend to push it 20y right of my target more often than I’d like, or hook it 😒 

The Hybrid is super consistent off the tee, but I’m prone to hitting it low on the face off the deck sometimes, although, I’ve only hit it a few times since I have just started to feel better after nerve issues with my neck at my C4-C5 

Im thinking of keeping the hybrid in my bag for my home course for now, because we have a par 3’s that is long (228y), but I’m open to getting an adjustable 7w, with a bit more face depth than the 22° Adams Tight Lies 7W (2013) I currently have since I just dropped my 3&5W for a 16.5° 4W

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about an in-between solution, for those whose longest iron is a little too difficult to hit well, but a direct hybrid replacement is too much.

I play a combo set of irons, Srixon ZX7 8i-PW, and ZX5 5i-7i. I also have a Ping 26 deg that I can use to replace the 5i.

My in-between thought is to use a Srizon ZX4 MkII 6i head, on a shaft the length of a 5i (plus +0.25" maybe). That 6i head in this (near) super-game-improvement club is the right loft to replace a ZX5 5i. The ZX4 head is also lighter, so it should play well at the longer 5i length.

This is kind of like a utility club, but those aren't available in these higher lofts for us slower swingers.

Any takers?

Edited by MartinKB
Fix typos
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, Golfer from MO said:

I'm a scratch high speed player that hits irons really well. I feel like I have way more control with my 5 and 4 than a hybrid in those spots. I do have a hybrid 19deg in my 5wood slot. Cally UW I really like but went thru 6 shafts to love it (100g tx). I think higher lofted hybrids are harder to control varied distances for higher speed players who also strike it well.

I agree. There is so much more control with an iron than a hybrid. No question a hybrid goes higher and is easier to hit. But forget about shaping a shot or hitting a knockdown to keep a ball out of the wind. It will be (hopefully) a long time before I give up my 4-iron and I will probably give up golf if I can't hit a 5-iron. 

• Like 1

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

5iron is not in question, thats my 180 +/- club.replacing that is not gonna happen

alternating the 3 and 4 is the utes role for me.
19*  23*  roycoll  utes are superb and 100% easier to  hit.
but if  u like  a solid strike, then theres is nothing as sweet as a crisped  3iron.

if not playing for sheep stations   ill game the 3-pw.
monthly medal  however ill take one  or more likey both these  out instead.

7 wood  is fun as well, tha thing goes  monster high and drops on a penny.

still take the 3 i over them  all.

5i  is as  safe as the  putter  for bag space. 

• Like 1

owari !

I took my 5i out of the bag last season and replaced with a TSR2 26*.

However, I now have very good Sim setup (GC3) in my garage, and have been working hard on my long game, and have things really dialed in now.  Over the last 2-3 season I've done essentially no range time and got really sloppy.   That's changed, and having a Sim and being out there 1-2 times a day has also gotten me a club longer. 

My miss with my 5i is not as drastic as a miss with my 26*  hybrid.  The 26H will be benched. That said, I do love my 23* and 20* TSR2 hybrids.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

well this thread re-peaked my interest in hybrid which has been on and off for years. hit my 5 iron 195 and 4 iron/hybrid 208ish

not 5 iron but got a g430 26 hybrid (set 24.5) to replace my 4 iron and its so much better (1.5 index) that I'm thinking of trying now something to replace my 5 iron for an experiment.

the spec of the hybrid I got was HZRDUS 100g 6.5 tipped 1.25" playing 38.5" (1 inch longer than 5 iron) and same swing weight as my 5 iron.

id love to now find a great condition ping anser 27 degree hybrid for a lower spinning 5 hybrid option and use the same shaft as above

4 hours ago, j-daniel said:

well this thread re-peaked my interest in hybrid which has been on and off for years. hit my 5 iron 195 and 4 iron/hybrid 208ish

not 5 iron but got a g430 26 hybrid (set 24.5) to replace my 4 iron and its so much better (1.5 index) that I'm thinking of trying now something to replace my 5 iron for an experiment.

the spec of the hybrid I got was HZRDUS 100g 6.5 tipped 1.25" playing 38.5" (1 inch longer than 5 iron) and same swing weight as my 5 iron.

id love to now find a great condition ping anser 27 degree hybrid for a lower spinning 5 hybrid option and use the same shaft as above

If you can't find that Ping Anser 27, don't be afraid to look at Callaway's 2016 Apex Hybrid 26°. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:41 PM, dpark said:

I agree. There is so much more control with an iron than a hybrid. No question a hybrid goes higher and is easier to hit. But forget about shaping a shot or hitting a knockdown to keep a ball out of the wind. It will be (hopefully) a long time before I give up my 4-iron and I will probably give up golf if I can't hit a 5-iron. 

A solid player can definitely shape the ball with a 5-hybrid and also hit a knockdown. I can do both.

You seem like a very solid player who probably has high ball speed and has no trouble hitting a 4i high and softish. Good for you. You are not the player who lofted hybrids will help much, if at all.

Edited by Obee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 1/19/2024 at 1:41 AM, dpark said:

That is one of the things that surprised me the most. The five hybrid was actually quite easy to shape both vertically and horizontally. (Playing TSr2 5H w/ AD DI 9x).

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

On 1/19/2024 at 1:41 AM, dpark said:

You can either play the shot required or be a single dimensional hybrid player. Your statement is incorrect....hitting knockdowns with my 6h is one of my favorite shots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/