2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

5 Iron v. 5 Hybrid Showdown ... It Wasn't Close

uglande

I put a 5H in the bag a few years ago as a trial and love it.  I can hit it from anywhere and have so much confidence with it.  I can not see ever going back to a 5 iron.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

2 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Replying though to point out that not all hybrids address the same.  Completely agree with you on the Ping hybrids---I'm still trying to figure out the best way to line that sucker up, and when I do, the weight feels weird in my hands.  Titleist TSR2 though, feels natural.  Looks it.  Easy to line up.

I don't go hybrids for 4-5-6, (despite the TSR ostensibly being a 4H), because I already hit the ball too high and I've i210s in the long irons.  No lying though, there's something fun and circus-y about hitting something like an older Cally 7w/Heavenwood, but who needs a 190 yd pitching wedge flight?

Anyway, gapping is pleasantly 5-ish mph and about 12 yds of carry between 4, 5, and 6-irons.  And they seem to go and stop where I want them, so why mess with it?

Thanks for the good advice on the Titleist. I will check it out. I am not sure I really need a 5 hybrid, despite my joking, but this thread has got me thinking. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

13 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

@uglande Dare I say maybe the T100 might be too much club for you at the 5 iron spot? Seems like you found your solution but maybe these irons aren't the best fit for you?

Seems like a lot of people are starting to move into blended sets right around the 6 or 7 iron, Srixon and Titleist in particular seem to be popular options for this, going from say the t100 or t150 into the t200 further up the bag. I know for me the 5 iron is one of those clubs where if you asked me to move from a players distance iron into something harder to hit my butthole would pucker up. Hell I probably wouldn't even flinch if you handed me a full on GI iron in that slot. Not sure I'm ready to switch to hybrid there yet though. I'm turning 50 in 2025 so I'm sure at some point this exercise will come up as I seem to be constantly analyzing and tinkering with the top of my bag. 

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50 S Grind 54 D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: LAB DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS 

100%.  Since I took up golf again after about 15 years laying off, I discovered hybrids.  I got a 3.  Then a 4.  Finally got a 5.  They are great.  When I got around to replacing my ancient irons, I only bought a set up through 6i.  I hit the 6i so well that I thought I might like the 5i better than my old 5H, so I ordered one.  I've put it to the test and carried it on the course.  And I've put the 5H back in the bag.  It is just better for me.  I'm an OK golfer (around a 13-15 HC) but have a fairly slow swing speed.  Hybrids are just much better for me.  My son, who has a much faster swing speed can crush his long irons and has problems hitting hybrids. 

WITB:

• PXG 0311 XF Gen5 driver (12° set to 13.5°)
  • Adams Tight Lies (2021 model) 16° 3-wood
  • PXG 0311 XF Gen6 hybrid (19° set to 18°)
  • 4 & 5 Cleveland Launcher XL HALO irons
  • DW-6 Cleveland Launcher XL irons
  • 52 & 58 Cleveland Zipcore CBX wedges
  • Odyssey Eleven Triple Track S Putter or Cleveland HB Soft 10.5S
    (depending on which one has offended me less recently)

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I tested 3h & 4h and found their biggest asset was easy forgiveness, getting the ball up and each was longer due to longer playing length.  Not once did either hybrid give me the sense, it would do what I envisioned, and surpass the equivalent iron.  The negative I could count on was increased left or right dispersion compared to my equivalent iron.  Hitting a baby draw with 2i to 4i is relatively easy, for me, with hybrid much less so do to its inherent design and dispersion.  I want each of my clubs to give me 100% control.  In other words, if an error is made, it's on me, NOT the design inclination of a club.   

What someone like John Daly uses has no worth to my game?  Some of us are not all looking for our clubs to "forgives us our trespasses" LOL nor liken ourselves to marketing jargon. 

Two iron to LW, are scoring clubs to my game.  Changing inherent designs to get easier and longer requires changing how I think about the game.  That requires going back to the practice range to reinvent aspects of my game. 

Having said that, not one of the hybrids I tested was effective at hitting low stinger shots, nor was one effect at giving me a really low punch shot from 3" of rough, like recently using my 23' 4i', about 5' off the deck under low-hanging branches, to the fairway and run short of the green, allowing me to pitch to the pin, and tap in for par, to keep my lead going in a money game.   Five iron would have been too high, isn't a stinger club, nor would it be long enough.

If someone chooses to fill their bag with hybrids, it's fine with me; my buddy carries 3 of them.  Haven't seen him do anything more than hit the ball straight and higher than I hit the equivalent iron.  Thus, experience shows hybrids have limitations.  Whether they are practical all depends on the users' style of golf and the courses they play.

Fixed it for you.  To each their own.

I picked up a Titleist TSR1 26* hybrid (Atmos Tour Spec 75 gram shaft), and now I don't need a 6-iron. 

I played nine holes one evening with only the hybrid, and after a few holes it was remarkable what I could do with it, including putting.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

5 hours ago, Radeon962 said:

Moved to a Callaway Paradym X 5H Mitsubishi Tensei AV White 85s and Titleist TSR1 6H PX Evenflow White 90s at the end of last season. 

Love them and now my irons start at 7i. 

High and straight and have both playing with a slightly open face setting.

I had much success last season with Paradym X 4 and 5 hybrids with Smoke Black 80 shaft. My 5 hybrid was super reliable, and there was simply no comparison with the trepidation and mixed success I had previously with any sort of 5 iron, whether players, GI or SGI.

My 4H spot is open for competition in the offseason between Paradym X, Apex 21 and Big Bertha 4H heads that I have around and can swap onto my Smoke Black shaft. YMMV.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I should change from a 4 iron to 4 hybrid BUT I cannot lose the "punch out" shot with the 4iron. I need the ball to fly low for at least 30 yards at times and hybrid does not do that for me.

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

2 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Fixed it for you.  To each their own.

I picked up a Titleist TSR1 26* hybrid (Atmos Tour Spec 75 gram shaft), and now I don't need a 6-iron. 

I played nine holes one evening with only the hybrid, and after a few holes it was remarkable what I could do with it, including putting.

Thank you.  Fixed it.  Dyslexia influences writing.  A staff member edits all corporate correspondence, and an Editor helped with the two books.  Neither of them deal with my postings.  LOL 

I just heard that a friend replaced his 6, 5 and 4 with hybrids; he's feeling pretty good about his game.  Recently, I played an 18 hole fundraiser over 5700yds, using 4i, 9i and LW as putter.  The downside, my buddies decided to take driver and putter out of my bag, as additional handicaps on top of the strokes they get from me. LOL yuck... should be interesting, we're playing 6000 yd white tees in a few weeks.  Winner donates the payout 😛

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Decent player (2 Handicap) who made the switch to hybrids a few years ago and not looking back. Have the 22* & 26* G410s, and the combination of being able to set the head flat/open and using a heavier, stiffer shaft have helped me avoid the big miss left with the hybrids (or at least no more with the hybrids than any other club in the bag). I guess I don't understand the appeal of misses going shorter. I have multiple approach shots on my home course that are 200+ yards where I need to cover water, and missing left or right a bit is way better than short. A playing lesson with a pro 25 years ago reinforced that - he pointed out how much closer misses that were a little offline to the target but the right distance ended up to versus missing short. Anyway, my hybrids aren't going anywhere.

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

I have both a 5 hybrid and my set 5 iron in the bag. I have realized the 5 iron spot is the line of demarcation for me, I CAN hit the 5 iron well, but I hit the 5 hybrid better, more often. The problem is at my home course, I rarely use the 5 hybrid. I use the 5 iron a lot more often as a punch out club. It's basically the same thing that @Wardonation says about their 4 iron.

Honestly, the 5 hybrid is probably the most likely club to be removed from the bag, not because I don't like hitting it, I do, but just from overall lack of use. It's making my plans for the BISC a pain in the @$$ as I have a 5 wood and 3 hybrid that seem to be basically the same club but I would like to do some on course testing. 

Edited by Roejye
Removed word salad

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

19 hours ago, Wardonation said:

BUT I cannot lose the "punch out" shot with the 4iron.

I see several responses like this ... this exactly why I have kept my 5 iron (and before that my 4 iron). But this is what surprised me the most in my testing. The punch-out shot with the 5H was actually easier than with 5i. It actually came out lower than 5i, and there was no digging. 

My guess is that when moving the club head at such a slow speed, you're not really activating the power/launch aspects of the hybrid that normally separate it from the iron. So you're just delivering the same loft at the ball but with more room for error. 

Edited by uglande
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

Most struggle with hybrid because with the slightly bigger head, player try and hit them like their fairway woods. Best approach to hitting the hybrid similar to hitting a punch shot with your irons and getting aggressive on coming down on the ball. Not being afraid to bottoming out the clubs. I call it a cheater club because the larger surface area creates for more forgiveness on your strike. I typically find more distance and so I would carry a 4 hybrid to replace my 3 iron and a 5 hybrid to cover my 4 iron distances.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

3 hours ago, bgfgolf said:

I play hybrids at 19, 21, 24. I’m convinced the optimal choice at those lofts is hybrid over long iron. Look at how many LPGA tour pros have hybrids at those lofts, and even higher. Scratch and plus handicaps aren’t better than LPGA tour pros with respect to quality of strike and consistency. 

its like using blades. You do you, but they aren’t optimal.

That’s because LPGA players don’t generate the speed necessary for good launch conditions in long irons

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrdctaylor said:

100%.  Since I took up golf again after about 15 years laying off, I discovered hybrids.  I got a 3.  Then a 4.  Finally got a 5.  They are great.  When I got around to replacing my ancient irons, I only bought a set up through 6i.  I hit the 6i so well that I thought I might like the 5i better than my old 5H, so I ordered one.  I've put it to the test and carried it on the course.  And I've put the 5H back in the bag.  It is just better for me.  I'm an OK golfer (around a 13-15 HC) but have a fairly slow swing speed.  Hybrids are just much better for me.  My son, who has a much faster swing speed can crush his long irons and has problems hitting hybrids. 

John Daly is playing 3, 4 and 5-hybrids.  His longest iron is 6.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

18 hours ago, azgreg said:

@Obee

If I recall, he's been using hybrids for some time now.  He's a great example of making his choice of tools work for him.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

7w 9w 5h 6h....though I think a 7h turned down will gap perfectly to the 5h. It's something I'm gonna test soon.....

There are shots that I can't hit with a 5i - that are stupid easy to hit with the 5h

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

49 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

If I recall, he's been using hybrids for some time now.  He's a great example of making his choice of tools work for him.

The last I looked the longest iron in his bag is an 8i and he's capable of shooting in the 60's.

• Like 2

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

One of the major issues here is not the number stamped on the club but the loft.  I’m alway remissed to remember what Wishon said about lofts.  Unless you have 100mph+ in speed, good luck hitting an iron below 24 degrees.  My current 223 5 iron is 25 degrees, playable but not perfect even though I can hit it about 215.  I don’t play a lot anymore so I think a 5 hybrid would probably work better. My issue is that the 5 iron is my go to club for off the tee at  white tee tight courses which I play with family and co workers.  I’d like to think a 5 hybrid can do the same.  Seriously pondering only 6-GW in an upcoming 243 replacement. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 2023 Versatile 58 bent to 59 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

26 minutes ago, optimator said:

I thought I’d read 6i, using a set of Sub 70’s. But I might be wrong.

He’s talking about @Obee not Daly

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

11 hours ago, uglande said:

I see several responses like this ... this exactly why I have kept my 5 iron (and before that my 4 iron). But this is what surprised me the most in my testing. The punch-out shot with the 5H was actually easier than with 5i. It actually came out lower than 5i, and there was no digging. 

My guess is that when moving the club head at such a slow speed, you're not really activating the power/launch aspects of the hybrid that normally separate it from the iron. So you're just delivering the same loft at the ball but with more room for error. 

I agree with this. Choke up, play the ball back in your stance a bit, and let it rip. I know a few people though who mentally need a low lofted iron for punch shots. Personally, I find them easier to do with a 3 or 4h.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 50, 54, 60

Taylormade Spider GTX Armlock