Anybody have any tips for taking a divot

10 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

Or it may not. As others mentioned the issue needs to be addressed and without seeing the swing nobody can say what the issue is and what drill would work

This presents the interesting question of, if it’s unlikely to help, why it gets written by Foley and published by Golfdigest.  And once published, was it any more or less useless than any other similar pieces on drills for his or drills for that that clog the internet?

I personally find it difficult to believe any isolated drill will help anybody much, unless it is additive to skills already learned and can be practiced while those other skills are also being properly performed.  For example the L to L drill seems to me particularly dangerous since the hands and arm can do it without much body movement at all, which “teaches” the arms and hands to move in a way that is faulty when body motion is added.

What I believe would best help the OP is an understanding that the golf club is a tool that has an optimum method of application to the ball, and exactly what that application is and why it works.  The concept of getting the ball in the air by hitting down on it is contrary to the way evolution has made people so as to deal with objects the ground, so they need to be educated about it in order to have the proper intent which informs the mechanics of their swings.

1 hour ago, Chunkitgood said:

I personally find it difficult to believe any isolated drill will help anybody much, unless it is additive to skills already learned and can be practiced while those other skills are also being properly performed.  For example the L to L drill seems to me particularly dangerous since the hands and arm can do it without much body movement at all, which “teaches” the arms and hands to move in a way that is faulty when body motion is added.

What experience are you basing your disagreement on? Years of teaching? Time doing the drill?

The L to L is a great drill for many people, but it’s not a great drill for many people. L to L is very much similar to a pitch shot. 

if the person is doin the drill with only arms then they aren’t actually doing the drill. With any drill or movement it needs to be done properly or it has no benefit 

1 hour ago, Chunkitgood said:

What I believe would best help the OP is an understanding that the golf club is a tool that has an optimum method of application to the ball, and exactly what that application is and why it works.  The concept of getting the ball in the air by hitting down on it is contrary to the way evolution has made people so as to deal with objects the ground, so they need to be educated about it in order to have the proper intent which informs the mechanics of their swings.

And more of just spotting out words and not saying anything that’s helpful.

Good divots are a result of proper mechanics. Gotta find the origin story for where your mechanics are going wrong that lead to not taking a divot.

Could be a dozen different things. If you post a swing I'm sure the smart instructors or high-level golfers with a strong knowledge of the swing and its underlying concepts could tell you what the root causes are.

• Like 1

For people who don’t take divots and/or tend to hit fat shots, most of the time it’s a weight shift problem. They’re staying back which places the low point at setup (or worse) instead of forward where it should be. No telling if that’s your problem but if I had to bet that’s where I’d put my money. There are some great drills on YT that focus on weight shift so maybe check some of those out and see if they resonate with you. It’s not a good idea to recommend a solution when you don’t know what the real problem is but if you’re not shifting your weight then you won’t be taking divots. Well, you won’t be taking them in front of the ball anyway.

18 hours ago, PuffyC said:

For people who don’t take divots and/or tend to hit fat shots, most of the time it’s a weight shift problem. They’re staying back which places the low point at setup (or worse) instead of forward where it should be. No telling if that’s your problem but if I had to bet that’s where I’d put my money. There are some great drills on YT that focus on weight shift so maybe check some of those out and see if they resonate with you. It’s not a good idea to recommend a solution when you don’t know what the real problem is but if you’re not shifting your weight then you won’t be taking divots. Well, you won’t be taking them in front of the ball anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.    I know my contact used to be so much better in the past, and it just dawned on me that when I used to make decent ball first contact,  I was initiating everything with my lower body first.  

Unfortunately, for some reason, I got back to more of an arm swing and less body.   This wasn't purposeful, I just kind of fell back to use my arms a lot more. 

I actually gave this a try tonight using my "impact board" which shows you if hit before or after the ball.

Sure enough, when using my lower body to initiate the swing, my low point was moving   about 3 or 4 inches forward of what it used to be.

I have to take this to the range,  but feeling pretty good that this is going to help.

• Like 1

If you've got taking a divot in high elite golfer regard, I suggest looking into a reputable golf instructor and get after rebuilding your swing in such a way, it produces a natural divot.   I don't believe most amateurs can rebuild their swings, on their own, and realize a perfect divot like touring pros.  Most people are diggers, others like me are sweepers/scrapers, and score just fine.

Divots have NOT been pivotal to my swing or scoring low.  My low is 68, and I am self-taught starting at 40yrs old; six years later reached a low index of 2, now 4+.  God forbid, I scrape turf to roots, no TV divots.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 2/4/2024 at 3:55 PM, Valtiel said:

He explained it in a follow up video on Taylormade's YouTube channel. Tiger likes to practice a ton of things that help "neutralize" him, which includes picking the ball very clean when practicing on the range to keep him from getting too steep, because his tendency is this sometimes and he hates it. Just like he prefers hitting draw chip shots around the green when practicing to keep him from getting too wipey/cutty. 

There is a bit of mind gaming going on there in *not* giving the full context, but thats just Tiger lol.  

yep Tiger doesnt tend to take divots on the range. On course is he definitely takes divots, He might not take the big beaver pelts but they are divots.

Here's tiger explaining that video

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

@SNIPERBBB Many people do not believe that about Tiger, much less understand it.  As he says, when zero'd out with mid-long irons... 

The best place to watch Tiger and others is using mid-long irons when playing Augusta's firm conditions.  Also, many pros have a separate set of matching irons with specs for courses with turf similar to Augusta.

I had to smile listening as Scotty asked Tiger "what's with no divots?".... LOL I actually saw that the day it happened.  As talented as pro golfers seem, they are not all that knowledgeable about aspects of the game outside their own game.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 2/4/2024 at 1:44 PM, Hackinator said:

I am trying to get to the next level and start taking good divots.

Been working on the 2 things

1. Maintain the bent over position longer thru the hit,  (in other words avoid raising up the body too soon)

2. Get arm extension 1 foot past the ball

These things are helping, however still not achieving what I would call a pro divot.

Looking for any insights into anything that has worked for other people.

Also are the 2 items above, something you guys would consider keys to taking a divot

Smarter people than me here, but why are you focused on divot?  I focus on ball flight efficiency (does clubhead speed yield appropriate carry distance) and accuracy.  Are you hitting a lot of thins?

• Like 1

Agree with @GullLakeMi  

If I take a divot it's after I strike the ball.  But I have always focused on the needed mechanics to solidly strike the ball in the desired direction and trajectory; the rest takes care of itself. 

The best a divot can offer is approximate where the ball went, whether it was toe or heel heavy.  Only I don't need it for that as the strike itself tells me where the ball is going.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 2/5/2024 at 8:11 PM, Pepperturbo said:

If you've got taking a divot in high elite golfer regard, I suggest looking into a reputable golf instructor and get after rebuilding your swing in such a way, it produces a natural divot.   I don't believe most amateurs can rebuild their swings, on their own, and realize a perfect divot like touring pros.  Most people are diggers, others like me are sweepers/scrapers, and score just fine.

Divots have NOT been pivotal to my swing or scoring low.  My low is 68, and I am self-taught starting at 40yrs old; six years later reached a low index of 2, now 4+.  God forbid, I scrape turf to roots, no TV divots.  

I'll bet you're one of those guys who has a practice net in the hallway outside your office and a copy of Hogan's 5 Lessons on an office mantle next to your Little League and Pop Warner trophies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Ok, so to get to the bottom of this Tiger mystery….when he’s hitting the ball well, he doesn’t take divots……but also it has to be a high baby draw with a long iron, off a firm, dry,  perchy lie, when he’s going “wide to wide”……but otherwise: divots. Got it.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

At the risk of getting flamed, I think Tiger often throws out intentional misinformation like Hogan reputedly did:

There are... enthusiasts who have taken pics of Tiger's grass sweeping sessions before as well as pros who've played with him that commented on it. He apparently does have days on the range where this happens. I've even had some sessions where I do it so I'd certainly believe one of the best to ever strike a ball can manage it consistently when he's in the groove and really focused on getting all the width he can. 

I mean, this all started because Scheffler was standing right there witnessing it and wanted to know what was going on, heh. 

16 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

I'll bet you're one of those guys who has a practice net in the hallway outside your office and a copy of Hogan's 5 Lessons on an office mantle next to your Little League and Pop Warner trophies. 

Good one, nope. 

The mat is in my office, and the net is down the hall in an empty office door.  And yes, Hogans book and the two others I used to learn this crazy game set on my desk.  No little league or Pop Warner trophies, didn't play football until much later.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Divots are one of the outcomes of the swing. I don’t think golfers focus on taking divots,  they just happen in a good swing.  The focus is always on mechanics when working on improving your swing.  Plus fixating on divots tends to start manipulating everything with your hands. 

Dollar bill divots are the ultimate sign of good ball striking. 

On 2/4/2024 at 2:54 PM, Trippels said:

Isn't there also some story about Moe Norman, who was quite good we must say, that he didn't take divots?

Not saying taking divots is bad, but taking little to no divot isn't really indicative of something on its own. And trying to increase your divot taking directly probably won't make you any better. Get someone competent to look at your swing and work on whatever they deem most important, then see what happens with the divot taking.

Although if you just want to take divots for the sake of it I'd suggest moving your ball placement way back and switch to low bounce thin soled irons.

Moe Norman had the most consistent divots ever ... Hence his famous "dollar bills" saying.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

16 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

Divots are one of the outcomes of the swing. I don’t think golfers focus on taking divots,  they just happen in a good swing.  The focus is always on mechanics when working on improving your swing.  Plus fixating on divots tends to start manipulating everything with your hands. 

Dollar bill divots are the ultimate sign of good ball striking. 

This ... Divots are a result, not a goal.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag