2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

7 wood vs UW vs hybrid

blamirande

Hey guys. Currently gaming a Titleist 818 h1 at 19*. I really like it and it was surprising to me. Never got along with hybrids and bagged a steel shafted Wilson ultra hybrid from junior golf for about 10 years cause nothing else worked until this. Can’t help but tickle my curiosity and see what a 7 wood or the callaway UW would play like. I play in Massachusetts so a  majority of courses are softer with shorter rough, so a 7 wood wouldn’t be a problem, but I do like to travel and have played and are going to play again in Texas, Florida, and Ireland. I hit a callaway rogue st 7 wood on a sim at my local shop and was pleasantly surprised with numbers. I like this club to be the 240 range. I like the adjustability so I know the UW doesn’t have that and only a few brands have it in the 7 wood (ie Titleist and ping and cobra I think?) but want some thoughts from others who play these clubs and what they think. I like the ease of a 7 wood and how it just gets up but I do have a high ball flight and spin so curious if that’ll be affected. I know a lot of you will say go get fitted but I just want to pick some brains and see what players think about this spot on the bag. Also what brands do you guys like? I tend to play Titleist and taylormade but open to most brands. What clubs are hot? What clubs fly lower or higher?

Edited by blamirande

Can’t stand hybrids personally and never have gotten along with them. Tried the 2 iron and wasn’t for me but threw a 7w in the bag last year on a whim and love it!

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

I like the UW, but not as is. I find it to have much too long of a playing length. I think that when it’s cut down to around 40 inches, it makes a great 2h/5w replacement at 17° if you are not one that plays fairway woods, or finds a 2h long enough to gap off your driver.

For me, the UW, at its long playing length, makes a poor hybrid and mediocre wood at best. As far as lower flight and low spin, I didn’t see that. I hit the 19° original UW about as high as my 18° 5w and about the same overall distance. I recently dropped the 5W for a 4W, but I  was playing my 5W at 41.5” which was the same playing length as the 19° UW. I did much better with the UW when I choked down 1-1/2”, it felt like a decent hybrid, but at 19° it’s unlikely to gap off my 4w as well as a 7w does, the 17° may have been about my 5w distance even when I choked up to 40” playing length, but it’s just simply not as good as the 5w all the way around, plus less forgiving 

I have a 7w that is in the bag now from 2013 (Adams Tight Lies 22°) and it’s great out of light rough, plus amazing off the deck, but I am currently trying to see if a 21° adjustable PXG 0341x 7 wood can unseat it. The PXG has a deeper face, so it’s more consistent off the tee for the 228y par 3 we have that can play much longer with a back pin and some wind. I hit the ball very high (140-150ft apex) but it’s not ballooning, so I don’t see a problem with it. 

I have a 20° hybrid that I play at 39” which is my 3 iron standard playing length, that is great for the long par 3, but no way near as versatile, so it’s just becoming a range club. It might be marginally better off the tee, but not nearly as good off the deck, and definitely not rough friendly. 

Getting the right shaft weight, length and profile is a must for a 7w to really turn it into a weapon 

I’ve had great success with a g425 7 wood. Finding the right shaft was key, ended up with a Ventus blue 8s in it and it’s an absolute weapon. I have some long par 3s and 4s that require 220-30 in depending on where the tees are that day. And it’s useful around the collars of some greens with thick rough or a really wet collar. Useful, and the only way I see this club leaving the bag is if a 430 shows up cheap 😂. It replaced a 4h that just went everywhere for me. 

• Like 1

There's a good reason why the UW thread is so long!  If it works for you, then you'll probably never want to lose it from your bag.  7w tends to get too high and spinny for guys with speed unless you get a head and shaft combo that handles it well.  I originally went looking for a 7w and ended up with the UW.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

35 minutes ago, aussieb said:

There's a good reason why the UW thread is so long!  If it works for you, then you'll probably never want to lose it from your bag.  7w tends to get too high and spinny for guys with speed unless you get a head and shaft combo that handles it well.  I originally went looking for a 7w and ended up with the UW.

Bingo!  Struggled at first with the UW until I adjusted ball position and now I’m striping it!  You either love the UW or sell it, not much in between

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aussieb said:

Lots of tour guys with 7w in the bag. Think woodland even games one, lots of speed there 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

Lots of tour guys with 7w in the bag. Think woodland even games one, lots of speed there 

https://www.golfwrx.com/714811/dustin-johnson-witb-2023-may/

DJ’s bag from May 2023 shows a 21° 7w and a 24° 9W ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

the whole speed and spin thing about why a UW is best, may hold some truth for some individuals, but I’d say it’s dependent on one’s delivery….,it’s  the shooter, not the arrow. I happen to hit everything high, without being high spin. 

Personally, I think the UW is like oversized hybrid with a compacted front to back fairway wood’ish shape, placed in a fairway wood shaft. 

I did not see the 17&19° UW spin any more or less than my Tour Edge EXS Pro 18° 5w I was hitting it up against in a PGASS bay. Granted my TEE 5w is cut to 41.5” which is the same length as the UW in those lofts, and the TEE 5w is considered a lower spinning 5w, but I saw very similar numbers in both launch and spin. When I hit the UW at 41.5” the numbers for launch and spin were similar to the 5w, but when I choked down the numbers changed, and my consistency in strike/ dispersion got markedly better .. a little lower launch, a little lower spin, a little less carry, and a little less total distance…… probably what I would have seen if I choked up on my 5w or hit a similar lofted hybrid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I think it shines as a hybrid if you can cut an inch off the playing length and get the swingweight right I suppose, but I found it lacking compared to a fairway wood when played at the same length…….. (due to dispersion for me, but it think with the right combo, I could get it dialed, but even then, if you miss it off center, it’s more punishing than a fairway wood, but probably better than my Adams Pro hybrid) 

Assuming that you can hit each of these three more or less equally well, and that the distances are pretty similar, doesn't the answer depend largely on how you would most often use each one?  The three clubs have different trajectories, different "most likely misses", and different carry/roll combinations; they might be interchangeable in terms of overall distance, but probably aren't in terms of specific usages.

Off a tee on a long par 3 or layup par 4 might lend a different answer than out of the fairway looking for max rollout, or a place where a particular miss is death, or whatever the case may be.  If you play most of your rounds at one course, it's easy to figure out; if you travel around a lot, then you can either look at it from the perspective of best case scenario, or worst case scenario.

6 hours ago, bluedot said:

Assuming that you can hit each of these three more or less equally well, and that the distances are pretty similar, doesn't the answer depend largely on how you would most often use each one?  The three clubs have different trajectories, different "most likely misses", and different carry/roll combinations; they might be interchangeable in terms of overall distance, but probably aren't in terms of specific usages.

Off a tee on a long par 3 or layup par 4 might lend a different answer than out of the fairway looking for max rollout, or a place where a particular miss is death, or whatever the case may be.  If you play most of your rounds at one course, it's easy to figure out; if you travel around a lot, then you can either look at it from the perspective of best case scenario, or worst case scenario.

Very good question here I do play one course most of the spring through fall here. The longest par 3 is about 180 at its longest so that’s out of question. There are 2 par 4s that are a 2 shot hole, and I hit hybrid off of both. The hybrid off the tee is just not super trustworthy for me, and there’s one maybe 2 holes I hit 3 wood off tee and I love looking at the shape of a wood off the tee rather than a hybrid. All but 1 par 5 require a wood or hybrid on second shot and this is where the hybrid tends to shine, but I’d say I hit my wood just as good off the deck so it’s not like the hybrid is a must keep for me. Again a fitting will do wonders but I love all the feedback from everyone. Tried a 3 iron and it was just horrible. Can’t stand the look of chunky irons for some reason. Tried a t200 4 iron in place of my t100s to help but I ended up hitting my t100s better. I feel like I will hit all 3 clubs rather well and probably about the same, but for me what it comes down to is the versatility. Comfortability from the tee, deck, and rough, and I feel like the hybrid isn’t the club off the tee, but I do really like it off the fairway and rough

On 2/17/2024 at 7:34 AM, apprenti23 said:

7 wood goes to the moon with no spin 

hybrids go left with spin

UW lives in the middle of both trajectory wise and doesn’t like to go left

I am a high launch high spin player, but have come to terms with my flight because I can hold greens most of my playing partners can’t, just been trying to lower spin a tad. My miss is right even with the hybrid. I hit hybrid into some par 5s and feel like if the 7 wood lands softer and holds greens it could really be money. I also think 7 wood would be better off the tee for me as I’m not extremely comfortable with the hybrid, but hit my 3 wood very well off the tee

I struggled with my 200y spot once I lost some swing speed and I couldn't hit my 5i that far anymore. I first tried a hybrid and hooked them constantly, couldn't get one flat enough. Then I tried a V-steel 7wood with ok results from perfect lies, but from the rough it was too inconsistent. Hosel grab pull left, or toe grab and push right.  Tried some driving irons and never got along with them, hit them too low and couldn't hold greens.

I ended up going back to hybrids. I swear by my Sim2 Max hybrids. The twist face on a hybrid is like a cheat code. The white outline makes them look massive to my eye. I now play a 3H and 4H with the 3H going about 195-210y max and the 4H going 180-195y. Blends in perfect with my 6i going about 165-180y. I can control these hybrids, they don't hook/push like the 7wd did. They are solidly in the bag until the face caves in.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

PXG Black Ops hybrid has won me over. A lot of adjustability. Easy to tune flight and curvature, consistent distances even on mishits. Super solid club. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

12 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

PXG Black Ops hybrid has won me over. A lot of adjustability. Easy to tune flight and curvature, consistent distances even on mishits. Super solid club. 

I’m particular in my brands, just simply off preference, but I just don’t like pxg or ping. Just the look for me is off putting, even tho I’m sure they’re great clubs. I’m very much a visual and feel player so if I don’t like the look of something I just won’t hit it well. I tried a t200 4 iron and could not hit the dang thing. Hosel rockets, skulls, chunks. Go back to my t100s 4 and just flush it. I know a lot of people like the pxg woods so I don’t doubt they’re good clubs, just not a preference for me

On 2/19/2024 at 9:02 AM, markheardjr said:

I struggled with my 200y spot once I lost some swing speed and I couldn't hit my 5i that far anymore. I first tried a hybrid and hooked them constantly, couldn't get one flat enough. Then I tried a V-steel 7wood with ok results from perfect lies, but from the rough it was too inconsistent. Hosel grab pull left, or toe grab and push right.  Tried some driving irons and never got along with them, hit them too low and couldn't hold greens.

I ended up going back to hybrids. I swear by my Sim2 Max hybrids. The twist face on a hybrid is like a cheat code. The white outline makes them look massive to my eye. I now play a 3H and 4H with the 3H going about 195-210y max and the 4H going 180-195y. Blends in perfect with my 6i going about 165-180y. I can control these hybrids, they don't hook/push like the 7wd did. They are solidly in the bag until the face caves in.

I’m not lacking in the speed department. I’ve actually picked up a few mph this offseason. Sitting around 118-120 club head in the driver. Only concern I have is the 7 wood would get to high and spinny on me since I am a high launch high spin player by nature. But again tour pros with more speed than me play them just fine. I have the sim2 ti 3 wood and oh my god the things a rocket. Fast and forgiving. Cannot see it leaving the bag for a long time. I wish they made it in a 7 wood. 

From what you've said, I would try out a 7 wood simply to improve your off the tee confidence. I think there are ways to cut spin shaft wise/length wise where you could tinker around and make it work, but trying the 7 wood sounds like a no brainer. My experience was that the woods tend to cut through the rough much more effectively with the rounded bottoms vs the hybrid I had that was more square. Id check out the ltdx cobra 7 wood with the baffler rails. Or you could get the ltd LS 5 wood and turn up the loft to try to get the best distance. Smaller head and still has the bafflers 

I’ve had success with Ping 7 woods in the flatter, lower loft setting. I currently use a 21° UW that I really like a lot. The UW goes a hair shorter than other 7 woods I’ve used but it is really consistent with trajectory and spin. I can’t really flight it up or down. It just kind of comes out of its mid flight window and holds greens really well. My UW has been really good for those 230 yard shots. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

In bridge clubs, I've been playing some version of the 4W + 7W since 2012. (I changed models a couple of times).

I like 7W because it blows ball out of medium rough with gusto, works well on logish par 3s and on tight par 4s when you need to "drop a dart" to hold the landing area. And, a fade will set down quickly on regular approaches.

image.png.d3213c5541f18403bf4c6fcefc2d3aa8.pngClosest to a UW: I did a GolfWRX analysis of the Cleveland Hy-Wood in 2022. It has promise, but the first Cleveland offering had too upright a lie for my swing.

Tip on FWs: If you're having trouble with left drift, try choking down a half-inch on the shaft. This will flatten the lie and help straighen things out.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Tip on FWs: If you're having trouble with left drift, try choking down a half-inch on the shaft. This will flatten the lie and help straighen things out.

I play my my hybrids at standard iron length by loft, and my woods 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches short, since doing that, I’ve stopped having dispersion issues, which for me is a hook, or a push right, plus I’m able to dial in the yardages far more consistently. 

Every time I hear about issues with hooking a hybrid,  or too much launch/spin with a fairway wood, the first thing that comes to mind is playing length, and then shaft weight/ swingweight. 

Shorter in those two styles of clubs have been game changers for me. 

8 hours ago, ChunkMeDaddy said:

From what you've said, I would try out a 7 wood simply to improve your off the tee confidence. I think there are ways to cut spin shaft wise/length wise where you could tinker around and make it work, but trying the 7 wood sounds like a no brainer. My experience was that the woods tend to cut through the rough much more effectively with the rounded bottoms vs the hybrid I had that was more square. Id check out the ltdx cobra 7 wood with the baffler rails. Or you could get the ltd LS 5 wood and turn up the loft to try to get the best distance. Smaller head and still has the bafflers 

I also think this is the move. I just feel like the way I play and what I want to accomplish the 7 wood sounds best. Almost like I needed outside info to solidify my answer lol

5 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I play my my hybrids at standard iron length by loft, and my woods 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches short, since doing that, I’ve stopped having dispersion issues, which for me is a hook, or a push right, plus I’m able to dial in the yardages far more consistently. 

Every time I hear about issues with hooking a hybrid,  or too much launch/spin with a fairway wood, the first thing that comes to mind is playing length, and then shaft weight/ swingweight. 

Shorter in those two styles of clubs have been game changers for me. 

There’s a fitter around me that does existing set fittings. I think this could benefit me a lot with keeping my current clubs but making sure all specs are perfect

21 hours ago, blamirande said:

I also think this is the move. I just feel like the way I play and what I want to accomplish the 7 wood sounds best. Almost like I needed outside info to solidify my answer lol

Another thing to consider especially since you’re a titleist guy is the TSR1 hybrid.  I got the 20* degree version and even though it’s classified as a hybrid it’s shaped like a smaller 7 wood.  Please ignore the idea that it’s the ladies/senior hybrid in the TSR line, that’s only because of the stock shaft.  If you put a heavier shaft in it it’s almost like you have an adjustable apex uw.  I absolutely love it.  

1 hour ago, OnlyBuilt4ScottishLinks said:

Another thing to consider especially since you’re a titleist guy is the TSR1 hybrid.  I got the 20* degree version and even though it’s classified as a hybrid it’s shaped like a smaller 7 wood.  Please ignore the idea that it’s the ladies/senior hybrid in the TSR line, that’s only because of the stock shaft.  If you put a heavier shaft in it it’s almost like you have an adjustable apex uw.  I absolutely love it.  

I actually didn’t even think of that. No matter what club I got I was swapping the shaft either way but that could be another idea. Only thing that comes to mind is since the tsr1 is their forgiving line I’m afraid it could launch too high and spin too much, although I could tinker with the loft sleeve. That’s why I love Titleist. Best loft sleeve on the market. I played a steel shafted hybrid that was the length of my 7 iron for 10 years, not too concerned about what others think hahaha if I hit it well it’ll stay in the bag

Edited by blamirande

1 hour ago, blamirande said:

I actually didn’t even think of that. No matter what club I got I was swapping the shaft either way but that could be another idea. Only thing that comes to mind is since the tsr1 is their forgiving line I’m afraid it could launch too high and spin too much, although I could tinker with the loft sleeve. That’s why I love Titleist. Best loft sleeve on the market. I played a steel shafted hybrid that was the length of my 7 iron for 10 years, not too concerned about what others think hahaha if I hit it well it’ll stay in the bag

I have an kai’li white 8x and i’m not seeing that.  Also not seeing any draw bias or tendency to hook like other hybrids do.  This beat out an Apex UW, G430 7 wood, TSI2 7 wood, Multiple other hybrids and a tour issue Mavrik triple diamond 7 wood.  It’s that good.  

• Like 1