2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

14 slot vs 5-6 slot golf bags pros and cons

I feel like I’m usually pretty up on my golf equipment do’s and don’ts. For instants iron covers huge don’t.lol

i’m in the market for a new golf bag. I’ve heard some people say that they would prefer a 5 to 6 slot bag rather than the 14. Now I’m going to do what I want but I am curious as to why this seems to be a thing. What say you?

I have a Sun Mtn Sync w/14 way dividers that I really like.

The dividers run all the way to the bottom, unlike a lot of 5/6 slot bags, are plenty big for my CP2 wrap Jumbo grips, keeps everything very organized.

The Sync is a push cart purposed bag but still works great on a regular cart.

It’s not a stand bag, so no legs, but if I walk I use my push cart anyway.

I was leery of 14 way divider bags until I got the Sync, but it’s very well designed & has no issues with oversize grips.

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

My carry bag is a 5-way Hoofer. Cart bag a 14-way Titleist.

Much prefer putting clubs in the 14-way with no club tangle. Absolutely hate that.

The 5-way is lighter but even my standard sized grips get tangled constantly.

If you push or drive a cart I'd go with 14. If you walk, I'd go with a lighter bag which usually means 5-way or similar.

• Like 1

14 slot bags and their enthusiasts always struck me as the same people who kept their sock drawer highly organized.

If it takes more time to put the club back IN the bag then it takes to pull it OUT of the bag then....forget it.

And in instances where someone is playing ready golf by taking multiple clubs with him he then has to 'sort' the clubs to return them to the correct slots or...suffer the pangs of OCD when they are not in order AND then have to hunt for a particular club the next time he needs it.

It's fussy, it's unnecessary.

I once had a Ping bag that had a 'stadium' arrangement with three rows/slots that stair-stepped up from front to back. It made it a snap to locate, pull and return any club in the bag. It was simple but clever.

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

14 slot bags and their enthusiasts always struck me as the same people who kept their sock drawer highly organized.

If it takes more time to put the club back IN the bag then it takes to pull it OUT of the bag then....forget it.

And in instances where someone is playing ready golf by taking multiple clubs with him he then has to 'sort' the clubs to return them to the correct slots or...suffer the pangs of OCD when they are not in order AND then have to hunt for a particular club the next time he needs it.

I once had a Ping bag that had a 'stadium' arrangement with three rows/slots that stair-stepped up from front to back. It made it a snap to locate, pull and return any club in the bag. It was simple but clever.

😂😂😂 I was a 14 way dude for decades and yes my sock drawer is highly organized. Walking more recently so got myself a Sun Mountain 3.5LS & really do love it. 

Some people can change. However if someone wants to be OCD about their bag I am all for it. Them putting their clubs away in a specific order doesn’t both me at all. 

• Like 2

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

I had a 14-way bag for one season and did not like it.  I bought it because I liked the idea of every club having a specific space to keep things organized.  In the end I just found the individual slots more annoying.  5-way works best for me.  I know which area of the bag holds specific clubs.  One slot for wedges, one for hybrids, etc.  Ultimately this is a personal preference and there is no "right" answer.

Edited by DE-ILLINI
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

1 hour ago, chillybilly said:

I'm a highly organized sock drawer 14 way top bag guy.

I have 2 stand bags 14 way Ghost and a 4 way Linksoul.  The LS gets used mostly for range time or if I'm testing multiple clubs and want to carry a couple of extra.

To each their own

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I have a 14-way Titleist right now, and it works just fine.  I use midsize grips, and occasionally one of the clubs doesn't want to go back in the bag, but normally it's fine.

The best bag I had was an Ogio that had individual slots down the side for the woods and (I think) three larger openings for the irons/wedges.  Plus it had a corner cutout that had a lower sidewall for my putter - I use a 34" putter, and that lower sidewall worked better for a slightly shorter putter.

Don't like the current version of Ogio woode system, but I found an image of the old system (mid-2000's) that worked really well:

ogio_woode.jpg

• Like 4

I'm a highly organized sock drawer 14 way top bag guy too.

I have been using 14 way bags for years. I like every club in its' spot. I think it is quicker to pull a club and easier to spot if a club is missing from your bag. My friend is always sorting through his bag looking for the right club with all of his clubs mixed up. I don't know how many times he couldn't find a club because it isn't there and he didn't realize he had left it behind.

A negative is that I use mid size grips and certain 14 way bags I have the grips get stuck putting a club back in the bag.

A positive is all my iron covers are neatly organized.

Edited by Greenie
  • Haha 1

4  to 6 slot bags and their enthusiasts always struck me as the same people who are 30 minutes late every time they leave the house because they cant find their car keys.   Same guys that when playing ready golf by taking multiple clubs only to realize once over the ball he grabbed his 6 iron instead of his 9

tbh I don't really have a dog in this fight as I have both and they each have their advantages/disadvantages. 

• Haha 2

Tried out ping hoofer and titleist player bags last year. Both of them was terrible when it came to clubs getting stuck and a pain to put in. Even with std tour velvet grips and 13 clubs.

mostly because they cheap out on the full lenght dividers.

this year i have the 14 dividers from TM Flex and they go all the way down and there has not been any issue with club tangling. 

this is carry bags as i walk all my rounds

The 14 way bags are just that much heavier. And what if you don't carry 14? At most I carry 13, often times 12 as I can leave my 60 degree wedge at home most of the time. Or what if you are trying a new club and want to carry 15, 16 or more? I know guys that want to demo a driver or a putter and just carry 15 or 16 at a time, no big deal, we aren't playing in a tournament or anything. The 14 way bags just seem too big, heavy and limiting for me. I like using a Sunday bag with only one or two openings the best.

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Gimme a 7-way. 2 in each.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm in the 14 way camp with the additional plastic tubing for each slot.  Adds weight, but I don't care.  I love having a spot for each club and how smooth the club goes in and out of it's place.

Even with the tubing, I still have room for alignment sticks that go between the tubing and one of the 14 way slots.  If I want a orange whip or an extra club I want to take to the range, it easily fits next to my putter in the putter well.  Yes...I have a large golf bag, and I prefer a large bag over a small minimalist one.

I ride 95% of the time, and when I do walk with a push cart, it's on a dead flat course.

There was a poll here a while back and those preferring the 4/5-way bags were in a clear majority. That said, the 14-way crowd seems to be more vocal about their preference. 

I'm am definitely in the 4-way camp. Gave 14-way a try and that experiment lasted only a short while as I happily sold it to a buddy.

My socks are only semi-organized. I'm generally never late, and I have my car keys when I need them. My tool bench is a mess, but my kitchen is very organized.

I had a 5 way Ping Hoofer for 2 years and a 5 way J-Bag for 20 years before that. 

Looks like best, but got SICK of my clubs tangling.

Now using a 14-way setup. Looks totally hacky but functions a lot better.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

I only carry 9 clubs, so take that into consideration.  I have a 5-way "Revolve" cart with built-in wheels that I use on flatter courses and a 14-way datrek I use on my electric cart for hilly courses or when it's hot.  I use mid-size grips.  I can't say I prefer one significantly more given my set-up, but if I carried 14 clubs, I think the 5-way would get quite frustrating because of tangle.  It also has smaller pockets than my 14-way, but perhaps that's not typical of all 5-ways.

And I use neoprene covers on my irons because it prevents annoying clanging while I walk and makes it easier to quickly identify a club.

• Like 1