2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Have at me, I just got back into the game after about 2 years off:

Driver = Cleveland Launcher 10.5 (2009 model)

3 Wood = TaylorMade Aeroburner (yes it's white but they were out of the black and I got it for $99.99 at Edwin Watts)

3 Iron - PW = Titleist DCI 762

54 Degree Wedge = Callaway Forged X w/ 14 Bounce

50 Degree Wedge = Titleist AP1 (was literally given this used club when I bought my Aeroburner and man I love it, I almost use it more than my PW for similar shots)

Putter = Scotty Cameron Futura (original 2004 version, just recently had it regripped with a red Scotty Cameron Pistolero)

Bag = Callaway X-Cart (Black/White)

Im going to say you're a 12-15 handicap that knows his limits and plays to his abilities. Not much length off the tee, maybe 230-240 yards. Iron play isn't a strength but its not a weakness, you may get streaky and hit several greens in a row but usually are just off the fringe. You have a lot of confidence in your short game and don't play many courses with bunkers hence why your lowest lofted club is a 54.

Heres mine.

Driver: taylormade jetspeed 9.5 with a fujikura speeder 7.3 ts

3 wood: 15* v steel with stock shaft.

4 wood: titleist 910f set to 18.5* with 70s whiteboard

3 hybrid: titleist 913h 21* with 102s whiteboard

4 and 5 iron: mizuno mx 23 s300

6-pw: mizuno mp60 s300

52-07* mizuno m series

58-10* Cleveland tour

putter: Cleveland classic 2

Ball: whatever premium goes on sale. Rzn platinum, q star, z star, etc

Have at me, I just got back into the game after about 2 years off:

Driver = Cleveland Launcher 10.5 (2009 model)

3 Wood = TaylorMade Aeroburner (yes it's white but they were out of the black and I got it for $99.99 at Edwin Watts)

3 Iron - PW = Titleist DCI 762

54 Degree Wedge = Callaway Forged X w/ 14 Bounce

50 Degree Wedge = Titleist AP1 (was literally given this used club when I bought my Aeroburner and man I love it, I almost use it more than my PW for similar shots)

Putter = Scotty Cameron Futura (original 2004 version, just recently had it regripped with a red Scotty Cameron Pistolero)

Bag = Callaway X-Cart (Black/White)

Im going to say you're a 12-15 handicap that knows his limits and plays to his abilities. Not much length off the tee, maybe 230-240 yards. Iron play isn't a strength but its not a weakness, you may get streaky and hit several greens in a row but usually are just off the fringe. You have a lot of confidence in your short game and don't play many courses with bunkers hence why your lowest lofted club is a 54.

Heres mine.

Driver: taylormade jetspeed 9.5 with a fujikura speeder 7.3 ts cut to

3 wood: 15* v steel with stock shaft.

4 wood: titleist 910f set to 18.5* with 70s whiteboard

3 hybrid: titleist 913h 21* with 102s whiteboard

4 and 5 iron: mizuno mx 23 s300

6-pw: mizuno mp60 s300

52-07* mizuno m series

58-10* Cleveland tour

putter: Cleveland

Ball: whatever premium goes on sale. Rzn platinum, q star, z star, etc

I'm guessing a bit shorter off the tee because of your woods and hybrid. Player who plays to his limits with irons from your combination set, and with an iron swingspeed somewhere in the high 90s. Excellent distance control around the greens because of your large gap between wedges. I'm guessing you don't love putting just coz you didn't mention your putter model.

Here's mine

Rocketballz 9.5 Matrix Ozik XCON-5 Graphite Stiff with a crack about an inch long on the sole parallel to the face

PRGR TRX-505 3 and 5 wood with stock shafts

Miura Small Blades, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold X100

54/10 SM5, 56 Perry Gear, 60/04 SM4

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No.3

Here we go.

TM 2016 M1 430 9.5* - Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 05

TM 2016 M2 3 HL 16.5* - Matrix Red Tie 7Q4X

Adams Pro Mini Hybrid 18* - Aldila Tour Green X

Mizuno MP 4 4-PW - PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50*,54*,58* - S300

Piretti Cortino II 34"

You are a scratch player who plays whatever club currently performs better for you. You average about 285 carry off the tee and are likely a good wedge player, judging by your proper gapping and the lack of need for a 60 degree or higher lob wedge. You have one club in your bag that you just cannot get rid of, no matter how much you try, because it just performs (Adams hybrid). For some reason, you do not play courses which require shorter tee shots on par 4 or 5 so you do not bag a driving iron, or you are good at flighting down a three wood. You also drive a BMW 328i.

My turn:

Driver: Ping G 10.5 adjusted -.6, Tour 65 S shaft Align +4

3 Wood: Callaway XR, Project X 6.0 Align +4 standard

3H: Adams Red, Matrix Ozik Altus Stiff align +4 standard

4H: Callaway XR project x 6.0 align +4 standard

5-pw Ping G AWT 2.0 stiff NDMC +4 standard

Ping Glide 50, 54, 58 CFS wedge stiff

Putter: Ping Cadence B65 33" Ping pistol grip

Here we go.

Piretti Cortino II 34"

You are a scratch player who plays whatever club currently performs better for you. You average about 285 carry off the tee and are likely a good wedge player, judging by your proper gapping and the lack of need for a 60 degree or higher lob wedge. You have one club in your bag that you just cannot get rid of, no matter how much you try, because it just performs (Adams hybrid). For some reason, you do not play courses which require shorter tee shots on par 4 or 5 so you do not bag a driving iron, or you are good at flighting down a three wood. You also drive a BMW 328i.

My turn:

If there was a fantasy xbox golf game made for you, I would envision you playing on top of the plains of Nazca. You tee up your G driver, adjust your grip on your brand new Align MCC+4 grip. Now, you say to yourself, "I just need to smoke this one down the nose of the Hummingbird". All you see are the rocks all lined down the stark, bare plains of this Peruvian piece of estate.

1280px-L%C3%ADneas_de_Nazca%2C_Nazca%2C_Per%C3%BA%2C_2015-07-29%2C_DD_52.JPG

"Just hit it down the beak into the body". No trees, no hazard, and its all LINED UP for you...NO SWEAT.....just smoke one and you can chalk one drive as "Hit Fairway".

But the reality is that the courses you play are TIGHT. Lots of hazards. Unlike the plains of Nazca, lol.

You want so badly to keep it straight you have gone all the way of the G driver, even switching all your long sticks to the new ALIGN grips. You feel your score would be better if you can only hit it straight down the fairway. Then you can come in with the G irons...oh yes....you LUV these irons. You tried many irons but you don't mind the big clunky look - you say to yourself. But HEY, it plain works. Now the bad news...while you may never admit it or you suppress this down in your mind, you really want to have smaller irons. But you hit the Gs so good, hard to put down but you do keep looking. And you do try other irons....

Your choices of the hybrids are interesting. The Adam is good as you bought it for A STEAL but I think you like the Altus shaft. A lot. This is your go to clubs when the 3 wood is not feeling that good. I think this was a late addition as I suspect you picked up the XR 3 wood and the 4 Hybrid around about the same time.

The glide wedges are nice, you feel comfortable with them. It sings forgiveness like your other Ping clubs. You need all the help you can get. Those greens are fast and hazards are tough. Glide baby, Glide!

The putter is also interesting. At 33" thats short so you are either about 5'6 or you just like the control of the shorter putter. You kinda stroke it well enough as you like the Anser style, fits your eyes but the B65 gives you just another level of forgiveness with its wings.

Interesting is what's NOT in your bag. No Taylormade M1, M2 or fairway which tells me you're not all about distance - right now you want to bring down your cap and you will use all the clubs that are forgiving. However, I suspect the courses you play are tighter than say a "normal" course but you like the challenge of the course. Youu drive it around 255 yards, probably a fader.

ps back to the Nazca lines, you drop a LONG BOMB for an Albatross (Double Eagle). Congratulations...YOU WIN! :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Here we go.

Piretti Cortino II 34"

My turn:

If there was a fantasy xbox golf game made for you, I would envision you playing on top of the plains of Nazca. You tee up your G driver, adjust your grip on your brand new Align MCC+4 grip. Now, you say to yourself, "I just need to smoke this one down the nose of the Hummingbird". All you see are the rocks all lined down the stark, bare plains of this Peruvian piece of estate.

1280px-L%C3%ADneas_de_Nazca%2C_Nazca%2C_Per%C3%BA%2C_2015-07-29%2C_DD_52.JPG

"Just hit it down the beak into the body". No trees, no hazard, and its all LINED UP for you...NO SWEAT.....just smoke one and you can chalk one drive as "Hit Fairway".

But the reality is that the courses you play are TIGHT. Lots of hazards. Unlike the plains of Nazca, lol.

You want so badly to keep it straight you have gone all the way of the G driver, even switching all your long sticks to the new ALIGN grips. You feel your score would be better if you can only hit it straight down the fairway. Then you can come in with the G irons...oh yes....you LUV these irons. You tried many irons but you don't mind the big clunky look - you say to yourself. But HEY, it plain works. Now the bad news...while you may never admit it or you suppress this down in your mind, you really want to have smaller irons. But you hit the Gs so good, hard to put down but you do keep looking. And you do try other irons....

Your choices of the hybrids are interesting. The Adam is good as you bought it for A STEAL but I think you like the Altus shaft. A lot. This is your go to clubs when the 3 wood is not feeling that good. I think this was a late addition as I suspect you picked up the XR 3 wood and the 4 Hybrid around about the same time.

The glide wedges are nice, you feel comfortable with them. It sings forgiveness like your other Ping clubs. You need all the help you can get. Those greens are fast and hazards are tough. Glide baby, Glide!

The putter is also interesting. At 33" thats short so you are either about 5'6 or you just like the control of the shorter putter. You kinda stroke it well enough as you like the Anser style, fits your eyes but the B65 gives you just another level of forgiveness with its wings.

Interesting is what's NOT in your bag. No Taylormade M1, M2 or fairway which tells me you're not all about distance - right now you want to bring down your cap and you will use all the clubs that are forgiving. However, I suspect the courses you play are tighter than say a "normal" course but you like the challenge of the course. Youu drive it around 255 yards, probably a fader.

ps back to the Nazca lines, you drop a LONG BOMB for an Albatross (Double Eagle). Congratulations...YOU WIN! :)

You were REALLY close with everything but my height and my distance! 6'1" and I usually average about 270 carry draw. I do indeed place an extreme premium on being straight off the tee, as I tend to lose the most strokes on losing balls on the tight fairways I play which all seem to be lined with privet thickets underneath trees. And the course I play the most, Oxmoor Valley, is pretty tough. 74.9/146.

G30 driver, 10.5, PX prototype shaft

Rapture (2014) 3 wood

G25 4hy

G 5 crossover

G30 irons 6-U

Glide wedge 54*

Chipo

Sigma G Tyne, 35"

And as my name suggests, all Ping...

K O P, as an authentic PING consigliere I'll take this one....

G30 is in the bag at 10.5 to emphasize max carry for your softer Seattle conditions (you might even use a "+" setting). You hit it so good a replacement with G driver didn't even cross your mind. Rapture 3 wood just looks and feels like home. You tee off with it occasionally, most likely on some of your tighter tree lined holes where extra accuracy is key. G25 hybrid obviously came before the Crossover. Possibly neither is the clear favorite, the two are used in kind of a hodgepodge made to resemble a long iron game. G30 irons 6-PW,UW. The last of the "classic" PING looking irons ever to be made. They give you confidence and you hit them well. You're gonna have to swallow hard at the look of ferrules on your future replacement irons by PING. Glide came into the bag at 54* and has been a fine addition, has improved you sand game, I would hope you got it in WS. And yes, the Chipo resides in a bag divider. Probably a slight jack of all trades kind of club around the green, in a worst case scenario useful for taking a swipe at a ball up against boundary fence. And lastly the Sigma G Tyne. Obviously the most recent addition to the bag. I'm guessing this replaced another PING putter you had maybe used for quite a bit?!? Anyway, you're finding success with the Tyne, appreciate it's ease in lining up, and are enjoying the I'm gonna say, hmmm, the PP60 grip you went with on it. I would hope all this is packed in a sharp looking PING bag of some size. So here it is one more time so they know what we're talking about.... PING Play Your Best

Here's mine:

2017 Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 s t800 hzrdus

2017 Callaway Epic sub zero 3 wood s flex fujikura pro 75

2016 Nike Vapor fly irons 19 degree hybrid stiff flex tensei shaft

Mizuno MP-25 4-pw project x 5.5

Callaway Mack daddy forged stiff flex 56,60

Callaway Mack daddy 3 stiff flex 52 degree

Putter: spider tour red or Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5 33 in

Here's mine:

2017 Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 s t800 hzrdus

2017 Callaway Epic sub zero 3 wood s flex fujikura pro 75

2016 Nike Vapor fly irons 19 degree hybrid stiff flex tensei shaft

Mizuno MP-25 4-pw project x 5.5

Callaway Mack daddy forged stiff flex 56,60

Callaway Mack daddy 3 stiff flex 52 degree

Putter: spider tour red or Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5 33 in

You like buying new woods to get longer and better performance off the tee. You have a Nike Vapor Fly hybrid that you are super comfortable with and will not get rid of no matter what you have tried even though Nike exited the market. you hit the ball about 250-260 but always stay in play. play to about a 3-4 handicap and have a good short game.

Check out my new set up, interested to hear any and all thoughts and comments....

FYI I am coming off a decade of playing the same sticks(Cleveland Classic 8.5 Xstiff, 2005 TM TP Rac 3-PW[have 2 sets!] and CG16 wedges, still gaming same Tour Exotic 17 deg hybrid)

GBB Epic 9.0 Animal Style(two slider weights) Aldila Rogue Black 75g - XSTIFF - tipped 1"(44.5in)

Tour Exotic 17deg - Fubuki Stiff

Mizuno JPX 900 TOUR - 3-PW True Temper DG X100

Mizuno T7 50 deg 7 bounce - True Temper DG X100

Mizuno T7 54 deg 12 bounce - True Temper DG S300

Mizuno T7 58 deg 8 bounce - True Temper DG S300

Odyssey #7 Metal-X

Check out my new set up, interested to hear any and all thoughts and comments....

FYI I am coming off a decade of playing the same sticks(Cleveland Classic 8.5 Xstiff, 2005 TM TP Rac 3-PW[have 2 sets!] and CG16 wedges, still gaming same Tour Exotic 17 deg hybrid)

GBB Epic 9.0 Animal Style(two slider weights) Aldila Rogue Black 75g - XSTIFF - tipped 1"(44.5in)

Odyssey #7 Metal-X

Does Tiger talk about the old "tour days" while y'all rehab?

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Try this bag

Integra L1 Ti-Ion 360cc Driver 7.5* EI70 Stiff

Snake Eyes CMF Fairway Wood 14* Snake Eyes Graphite stiff

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18* Dynamic Gold R300

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21* Dynamic Gold s300

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24*Dynamic Gold s300

Tourstage X-Blade 901 5-p Dynamic Gold S200

Scor 53* Wedge KBS Tour x-stiff 8 iron

Scor 57* Wedge KBS Tour x-stiff 8 iron

Nike Victory Red Forged 60* Wedge Fst Kbs Steel Wedge

Snake Eyes MCS1

Thanks.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5* Project X Even Flow 
Snake Eyes CMF Fairway Wood 14*
Miura Retro Blade 2 Iron

MacGregor PCB Tour 3-4
Miura Tournament Blade 5-p
Miura 52* K Wedge KBS Tour Steel Wedge
Miura 56* 1957 K grind Steelfiber i25cw
Miura 59* 1957 FORGED C Grind DG Spinner 
Snake Eyes MCS1

Odyssey #7 Metal-X

Does Tiger talk about the old "tour days" while y'all rehab?

Too funny animalsgolf!! Literally busted out laughing!! Thanks

Please review a prior post before asking for opinion on current set-up in order to keep thread going as has done so far.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Driver-Cobra LTD Black (Aldila TourGreen 65S) 9*

3/4W-Cobra F7 Baffler Blue (Fujikura Pro 65S) 14.5*

2H-Callaway Apex 18*

Irons-Apex CF/Pro 16 combo set 4-AW 21.5*-50* (KBS Tour 125S)

Wedges-Vokey SM5 54*M & 58*K

Putter-Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5 Black

Bag-Oakley Fairway Stand (Black)

Okay folks...lets hear it!

PingWRX TiSI 10* RUS Hosel, AJ Tech Metal X Stiff shaft at 45" long

Callaway Steelhead 4+ DGX100 +1" long

BeCu Eye Two Square Groove Irons 2-W, Rifle 6.0 shafts, +1"

Cleveland Tour Action 56* SW

Cleveland Tour Action 60* SW

Titelst Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can Putter

PingWRX TiSI 10* RUS Hosel, AJ Tech Metal X Stiff shaft at 45" long

Callaway Steelhead 4+ DGX100 +1" long

BeCu Eye Two Square Groove Irons 2-W, Rifle 6.0 shafts, +1"

Cleveland Tour Action 56* SW

Cleveland Tour Action 60* SW

Titelst Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can Putter

I love this bag! And it is cool that you inherited it. Your uncle is a big guy who wanted to be part of the first long drive contests back in the early 1990's. He would have made it too if he didn't have such a habit of snap hooking everything! So he worked behind the desk at the muni course for a few years and had a few wins in the local Pro-Am circuit. He put these clubs away 15 years ago and calmed down quite a bit. Still golfs pretty well as a matter in fact. But you, also a big guy, enjoyed football and baseball all your growing up years. After college you broke a few sets of beginner sets of clubs and one day your uncle brought this set down from the attic. He is letting you use them even though they are just a bit long and just a bit stiff. You figure once you get down to a 5 HCP, or you turn 30, whichever comes first, you will buy a fit set for yourself. But then again, this is a dang cool set of sticks. He even gave you the old Scotty Putter that he put away when the first long putters came out. Very nice!

This was all in fun. If you're a 50 year old guy who goes after pseudo classics, and hits the ball a mile, good on you! There are not better clubs made today, are there? Nope...

Ping G30 9* shortened 44.75 Stiff Shaft

TM 2016 M2 3 Wood Stiff Shaft

Ping G25 3 Hybrid Stiff Shaft

Srixon 545 4 iron with Diamana Whiteboard 80g trimmed to 39" Stiff

5-PW Srixon 545 Nippon Modus 120 S. Softstepped 1x

50-54-58 Cleveland RTX CB

TM Jason Day Tour Red Spider 34"

thanks, love this thread!

At first glance I would guess you are a high single digit handicap.

The variety of manufacturers tells me you value performance over brand loyalty.

Your driver can get a little sideways from time to time so your trying to alleviate that by going with a slightly shorter shaft.

Average drive is in the 275-285 range so you are not concerned about potential lost distance that may come from the shorter shaft.

Mid-irons through wedges are the strongest part of your game.

Putting is fair but could be better so you decided to give the Spider a try to see if it would help.

My current setup:

TM M1 430, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X

TM RBZ stage 2 3HL, stock Matrix RocketFuel stiff

TM RBZ stage 2 21.5* hybrid, Proforce Axivcore tour black X

Mizuno MP15 4-PW, XP115 S300

Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 58.12, stock wedge shaft

Bettinardi C-03 34"