2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1321556080' post='3814113']
[quote name='WhiteBettinardi' timestamp='1321535436' post='3812775']
[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1321510356' post='3812153']
[quote name='WhiteBettinardi' timestamp='1321495128' post='3810661']
Try this out Hambone I think you may have met your match. :)
10.5* Supertri with speeder 757 regular flex
V-steel 15*, stock r flex shaft
Adams V3 19* stock r flex shaft
Adams CB2s with DG R300s
Vega wedges
Scotty Del Mar
Black Sun Mountain bag
All head covers on the putter, woods and hybrid are stock.
On a side note, ever read or seen the play [u]two trains running[/u]?
[/quote]

Hmm tough one. I'm guessing a little from the seat of the pants here. I'm going to go 35+, relatively new golfer (under 10 years at it), willing to drop the coin for quality product, however you prefer to wait for stuff to be a model year out. Very rhythmic swing, bordering on lazy. Struggle to get your body through impact, I would imagine you tend to spray it low left or bleed it right. Going to say about a 16 handicap

And as a side note to your side note, yes I have. However, not a homage to said play lol
[/quote]

Not bad but I think I got you here. I am 15 and have a roughly 34 handicap. Given that I am so young, I have under 10 years of golf experience, but I do have about 7 years, and the last two or three I have really started to care and play more. I have a violent swing that creates a fade which can turn into a power fade (slice) if I am not paying attention, the only reason I play regular shafts is because I am relatively light.

(side) We just read and saw the play so it was the first thing that came to mind. I WANT MY HAM.
[/quote]

Right on. I'll explain my line of thinking. The CB2's are a better players iron, so that brought me down into the sub 20 range. I guessed 35+ because of the coin needed to fund a bag like that, something I'm guessing parents helped with? The sub 10 years experience was just a gut feeling based on the styles of clubs, and the rhythmic swing was a guess based on what I thought your age was vs the shafts. However, I still would bet that I'm right with struggling to get your body through impact, which is the cause of your slice
[/quote]

The slice was me having the supertri on an open setting, I closed it today and it is pretty close to dead straight (fade if the wind was blowing right, draw if it was going left). I actually pride myself in buying my own clubs (I work as a caddy during the summer) and in total the bag only cost me around $800, which for those clubs is pretty good (if I do say so myself). The CB2s are not as hard to hit as many people think, they set up very nicely at address and I know where to aim to get the ball in the right general direction. I'd say you were pretty good for never seeing me play.

OK, I am new here so I don't think I have a signature or anything. Anyway, here is my bag, give it a shot.

The bag is a black Sun Mountain SCB, no zipper pulls left.
D: R11 with Stiff shaft
3W: Taylormade V3 with a regular flex Loomis driver shaft
5W: Ping G10 stiff shaft
4-P: MP37s rifle shaft, maybe 300 flex
52, 56, 60: Vokey "spin milled"
Cameron Studio Select

I have enjoyed reading about others bags, and some of the guesstimates were unbelievable when confirmed, pretty intuitive folks here.

[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1321583881' post='3816099']
OK, I am new here so I don't think I have a signature or anything. Anyway, here is my bag, give it a shot.

Cameron Studio Select

I have enjoyed reading about others bags, and some of the guesstimates were unbelievable when confirmed, pretty intuitive folks here.
[/quote]
You are tricky, your bag doesn't make much sense. A regular flex 3 wood and stiff flex 5 wood? The MP37s are a players club so I'd say you are pretty good. under 7 handicap, probably about 5, give or take a few strokes. You don't live on GolfWRX nor do you focus your time solely on gear (which is what most of us WRXers do). Maybe you spend money on non-golf things or lessons. You are relativley young under 40 (I'm not 100% sure on this). Let me know how I did.

[quote name='WhiteBettinardi' timestamp='1321591384' post='3816677']

Cameron Studio Select

[/quote]
You are tricky, your bag doesn't make much sense. A regular flex 3 wood and stiff flex 5 wood? The MP37s are a players club so I'd say you are pretty good. under 7 handicap, probably about 5, give or take a few strokes. You don't live on GolfWRX nor do you focus your time solely on gear (which is what most of us WRXers do). Maybe you spend money on non-golf things or lessons. You are relativley young under 40 (I'm not 100% sure on this). Let me know how I did.
[/quote]

I'm saying early 30's, been doing the 2 rounds a year circuit for awhile, just started getting into it. Some stuff is hand me downs from buddies, and you are about a 14, however you can get dangerous. The Scotty was your first big golf club purchase, and something you're very proud of. Don't care about equipment, you're the guy who if it works it works, no questions asked. Not too worried about appearances, well worn Dockers are probably your pants du jour on the links as well

14 clubs

This thread is great. I'm addicted to checking it out multiple times a day. Let's see how close someone can guess my game, my bag consists of the following:

Nike SQ Tour 9.5° w/UST V2 76 gram S-Flex
Nike T60 15° w/Dynamic Gold S300 steel pured
Nike Forged Pro Combo Tour 2-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300 steel 2° flat
Vokey CC 54 and 58 (flat as possible)
Odyssey White Ice #1
Pro V1X

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

May I volunteer my bag for psychoanalysis? :D I'm just amazed at how astute the analysts are in here. So here goes:

Driver: TM R9 Supertri 9.5 w/ Aldila DVS Stiff
3-Wood: Royal Collection Pro TP 14* w/ GD Tour AD PT-7 Stiff
Hybrid: TM Rescue Mid 19* w/ OEM stiff shaft
Irons: 2007 Maruman Conductor (Forged) 4-AW w/ N.S. Pro 950 Stiff
Wedges: K. Sugiyama 54-08 w/ TT S200
Vokey SM 60-04 w/ TT S200
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #3 Mallet
Ball: TM TP Red LDP ( while stock lasts)
Bag: Maruman White & Red Patent Cart Bag

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on these. It might just save me a trip to my shrink. Tnx

I'll play too. Note putter is so upright because I use both index fingers pointing down the grip.

8.5 9015d Devotion 7 05 45"
13 SQII XVS9 t1" 44"
Ping G5 5wd XVS9 t1" 42.5"
4i MP14 X100(hardstepped) 1flat +1/2" 24
5-PW MP14 X100 1/2flat bent 26.5-48
MP-R 52 X100 1/2 flat
MP-R 56-10 S400
Miura 60 (heavy grindable) S400 0-less
Tour Wrap Cord, C-130 Clicgear 3.0
reworked MidSur 358/32 1/2, 3 1/2, 76, mid Iomic almost face balanced

[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1321596382' post='3816993']

Cameron Studio Select

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm saying early 30's, been doing the 2 rounds a year circuit for awhile, just started getting into it. Some stuff is hand me downs from buddies, and you are about a 14, however you can get dangerous. The Scotty was your first big golf club purchase, and something you're very proud of. Don't care about equipment, you're the guy who if it works it works, no questions asked. Not too worried about appearances, well worn Dockers are probably your pants du jour on the links as well
[/quote]

So here is what I think I know about my game.

My miss is a "gentle" 40-50 yd draw that usually finds a pond or treewell. Rarely does this particular shot fly further than 150 yds., but when it hits it tends to run out. LOL

First off, the rifle shafts are 6.0 (I had to check). Just got the R11 this year to replace a G2, which replaced the original Big Bertha. I have been using the MP37s for 5 or 6 years (this is my second set, I use the original set for range practice as a way to save money by keeping the grooves in good shape). The 3W is about 10 yrs old, and in a $.50 pt match I wrapped it around a tree, not sure the result was worth the bet, but I did it anyway. A friend of mine took the head of the club and put in a shaft he had sitting around the house and gave it to me as a gift. So, I won't change it out, and I don't hit the club that often anyway.

I am 44, though maturity wise 30ish is still probably a stretch. I think my index is a 2, in our money games my HDCP is a 3. This can fluctuate from a 1-4. My favorite golf memory is watching my dad bouncing a ball over the burn on #1 at St. Andrews Old Course then parring the hole. My attitude toward golf could be summed up in a quick story during that same round. All I wanted to do was hit over the hotel and play out of Hell Bunker. I don't remember the hole #, but I do remember I was about 3 over on the hole where Hell Bunker resides. I asked my caddie where it was, and he told me. I took Harvey Penicks advice and took dead aim, my caddie was mortified thinking my score was a reflection on him. I ended up shooting a 79, apparently my recovery skills were less than I thought, but that was OK.

As per dress. Before I started to play golf, I of course, saw Caddyshack. I told myself if I ever took up this stupid game I would dress like Rodney Dangerfield. I don't wear "Loudmouth" stuff, but rather old man stuff... seersucker and embroidered shorts and pants.

For a while I was collecting Cameron's, I use this one when I am putting well. The last new putter (bought 4 Camerons through Play It Again) I bought was in 2004 (I think) a Futura. I pull that out when I am off-line, which I did not have to do this past season. It was going well until a friend told my wife how much I had spent on putters when he saw them. Since then I have no new "toys."

I generally card about 40 rounds a year, though one year I did enter 70+ scores.

Anyway, there is my golf game, history in a nutshell. Funny how much "stuff" can reveal about a person.

[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1321631511' post='3818121']
[quote name='Hambone1' timestamp='1321596382' post='3816993']

Cameron Studio Select

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='Honman' timestamp='1321516066' post='3812461']
Titleist 910 d3 b1 setting rip 60 r shaft.
Sonartec ss3.5 Accra sc75 m5 sat pured
Adams idea pro 18 vs proto stiff
Tour issue Nike vr pro 21 arras 85x
Nike vr pro combo 4-pw dgs300
Nike sv tour 52 and 60 with custom grinds px6.0 sst pured.
Rife Barbados 33 inches

Don't fancy your chances on this one?

Backups.
Nike vr tour 9.5 gd di6s
Bettinardi tour stock bb1 camo insert
[/quote]

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

I wanna play this game because I have been guilty of wonderng about other golfers based on the contents of their bag!

Here is what is in my bag right now, what does it say about me as a golfer.

Driver: 10. 5 deg Titleist 975J Standard R Flex Titleist graphite shaft.
3 Wood: 15 deg Orlimar Trimetal Original. Stock graphite shaft, R. Flex.
5 Wood: 19 deg Orlimar Trimetal Original. Stock Graphite Shaft R Flex.
9 Wood: 24 deg Callaway Big Bertha Warbird. RCH 90 Shaft R Flex.
5-PW: Mizuno Comp EZ TT Gold Plus Shafts R Flex.
52,56,60 Wedges Vokey Oil can with Stock steel shafts.
Arnold Palmer Blade Putter or Titleist Bullseye.
Ball: Bridgestone E5.
Grips: Winn Tan Colored oversize wraps.
Bag: Sun Mountain 3.5

Have at it!

CB

I think my bag says I'm a single digit capper who has worked on his set up to the point that he knows what he's doing. My set up:
Driver: TM 2007 burner, lead tape on upper right side to promote a fade, worn out headcover
4 wood: Ping G15 lead tape same spot
3 hybrid: TM 2009 rescue, lead tape same spot, jan craig headcover
4 iron: AP1
5 - P: AP2
52* Vokey 200 series
56* Vokey spin milled
Redwood Anser Putter
Moderately worn Ping stand bag
Golf Pride tour velvet midsize on all clubs

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

People would think I'm either insanely good or a snob, I get so many funny looks and questions about the prototype blades, especially the 2iron. The belly putter (when I'm fiddling with it) gets questions all the time. I guess my bag kinda warrants attention... the yellow tour sticks and the blades get a lot of inquiries.

And yes I always look at other guys bags because I love golf equipment but I never judge. Except these two guys I saw on the range once, 1 had a full set of Titleists and a staff bag, the other the same thing with TaylorMade. Both of them hit like a 30-50 yard slice, the one guy bladed almost all his irons and the other couldn't hit his R11 more than 190. While eating lunch I could see them on the practice green and the one guy had every training aid under the sun and a belly ghost putter but could make a 3footer is his life depended on it.

[quote name='lukesmurf59' timestamp='1321670396' post='3820969']
And yes I always look at other guys bags because I love golf equipment but I never judge. Except these two guys I saw on the range once, 1 had a full set of Titleists and a staff bag, the other the same thing with TaylorMade. Both of them hit like a 30-50 yard slice, the one guy bladed almost all his irons and the other couldn't hit his R11 more than 190. While eating lunch I could see them on the practice green and the one guy had every training aid under the sun and a belly ghost putter but could make a 3footer is his life depended on it.
[/quote]

I love those guys.....

Alright I will play the game here. Let me know what you guys think of my bag

Driver-Titleist 910D2 Ilima stiff
3 wood- callaway III
Hybrid 18 TEE 3 matrix stiff
5-pw Mizuno MP53 px 5.5
52 56 60 Vokey SM
Putter Rife abaco 34

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1321596941' post='3817015']
This thread is great. I'm addicted to checking it out multiple times a day. Let's see how close someone can guess my game, my bag consists of the following:

Nike SQ Tour 9.5° w/UST V2 76 gram S-Flex
Nike T60 15° w/Dynamic Gold S300 steel pured
Nike Forged Pro Combo Tour 2-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300 steel 2° flat
Vokey CC 54 and 58 (flat as possible)
Odyssey White Ice #1
Pro V1X
[/quote]

You are a really good player, Approaching Scratch if you aren't already there. You probably hit it around 280, but hit it high. You are a great ball striker with a good wedge game. If you knocked down a few more of those birdie putts, you'd really go low. Probably about 35, and you use what clubs work. The ones that work well for you stick until they don't work anymore or are worn out. Anywhere close?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1320005479' post='3738951']
I just joined a new club, and even though a lot of people say they don't care what others play....i gotta admit, i really do. I always look, and especially at the better players. I always have a peek at what they are playing and wonder what that says about them. For example it's not uncommon to see a low handicapper playing 5 year old wedges or a putter that looks like it's seen better days. There seems to be less "matching" in terms of full sets but some definite matching when it comes to individual segments, like fairways woods or wedges. Irons are always a total crapshoot but most of the low caps at my club seem to play irons that are at least 3-5 years old, showing that the guy has some degree of comfort level with them.

anyway, so what does your bag say about you? Anyone got any general comments on what they see?

I figure if someone looked at mine, they'd probably surmise i was pretty good if they put a little thought into it. I mean i clearly use a forgiving driver, 3 wood and irons, but the fact that i carry a 3 iron over a hybrid would probably be a bit of a hint, also the fact that i have more of a players club 9 iron through my wedges. My wedges are pretty beat up and i have a custom blade putter from a company most people won't have heard of which is probably another good sign. I like to think a junkie would look at my bag and guess that i was a good player who placed a high priority on keeping it in play, which is true

but i can also see how at first glance you could guess that i was a total hack aswell. Anyway....just for fun....what do you think your bag says about your game???
[/quote]

By looking at my bag, people would say short knocker...i've got 5 mashies! But i shoot in the 70's :0)

I play in a league with a guy who games an r9, tm 300 3 wood, 3 -p tommy armor silver scots, old Cleveland wedges and a very old ping answer. He plays in Nike running shoes and looks a hot mess. Dude is a +1 and nicest guy ever. The true definition of don't judge a book by its cover!

Callaway BB B21 9*
Callaway XR 18* 
Titlesist 910h 21*
G10 28*
Ping G, 6 - U
Callaway PM Grind 56*
Scotty Golo 5
Cally Truvis / Srixon Z star

I think my bag would get mixed reviews, but what it really says is: cheap ebayer. I assembled both wedges using recycled "original" rifle shafts, gun-blued my old TP Mills putter when it was looking worn, & got my driver for $60 on ebay. The most I paid for anything in the bag was the $125 I spent on the Hogans... but then I sold the 3 & 4 hybrids for $80 so I wouldn't feel so guilty!

I guess it also says I like a light bag :ok:

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1321675711' post='3821353']
Alright I will play the game here. Let me know what you guys think of my bag

Driver-Titleist 910D2 Ilima stiff
3 wood- callaway III
Hybrid 18 TEE 3 matrix stiff
5-pw Mizuno MP53 px 5.5
52 56 60 Vokey SM
Putter Rife abaco 34
[/quote]

Nothing?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='vol_in_il' timestamp='1321730930' post='3823091']
Here's mine

Ping G10- 9.5 degrees Aldila NV shaft

Titelist 906 f2- 3 wood 13 degree Aldila NV Shaft

Sonartec 17 degree rescue

Mizuno MP 32's 3-PW

Vokey Oil Can 54 and 58 degree

Scotty Studio Select Newport 2.5 34 inch
[/quote]

Hmm, no 2-iron? You're probably a newbcake 20-capper who just started playing a month or two ago.

For real though, you're likely a pretty steady iron player, have a slight draw to most shots, and like lots of spin around the greens.

Anyone wanna have a go at this?

Driver: Ping G10 9degrees, Axivcore black 69s
Rapture v2 3w Adila NV 75 x-flex (to stiff, but it just works.)
G10 18degree hybrid, DG sl s300
4-pw, Mp-60, DG s300, good amount of lead tape on heads.
ping Tour w 50, 54 58 DG S300
Ping Redwood ZB putter.

Black Sun Mountain combi bag, and a cheap 3wheel trolley.