2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stiffest shaft you've ever seen/played

Tyler Harris

I would have to ask a certain girl from college, she has tried/tested more shafts than any golfer I know.

Driver: Epic, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
3Wood: Titlest 917, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
Hybrid: Cobra Fly Z, Fujikura Pro
Irons: 4 - PW, Mizuno MP-15, DG X-flex soft stepped
Wedges: 50" Hogan, 54 Vokey M grind/ 58 SM6 K Grind - KBS Tour
Putter: Scotty, Newport 2.6
Ball: Taylor Made TP5
"How come when some of the most successful people put on golf shoes their IQ drops 50 points?" -Me

My friends PX 7.0 iron shafts are like a solid steel bar to me,just feel horrible and he has a 1 inch tipped Grafalloy Blue X in a 44 inch driver with 7.5* which he hits high but just worm burners for me.

sounds like Stenson's specs from a few years back

That's because the post is from a few years back... :rolleyes:

After trying almost every iron shaft out there, DG Tour X7, definitely. But they aren't that bad.

Woods? Back around 2001, everyone had some posts. Graphite Design had the VJS110PLUS. 107g, rated as an X, but was stout and about 1.6° torque. I had that in a Bridgestone J33 driver and could beat the crap out of it. It was great in high winds.

The best fujikura shafts were the Tiger and VJ protos, which were both based of the Speeder 1061 profile. I had a TGW-02-W-XXX proto in a 7.5° R7 (at the time, the absolute bomb) that I used for LDA. I was playing another 7.5° R7 with a "normal" Speeder 1061-XX. 116g, 1.5° torque, and the bend point was under your lower hand. Tipped to length, because there was no spin reduction built into shafts back then. I still have some 1061-XX and XXX shafts for fairways.

Of the modern shafts, the Graphite Design P9003 TX is still my favorite driver shaft, along with the Project X-10A2 in the fairways. They are a "smooth" boardy and cut spin much better than the older shafts.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Back when I was in high school 35 pounds lighter and much weaker I ran into a long drive guy at an indoor range. He had a few of his drivers with him, and he let me hit one. It was a house of forged xxx it was a literal telephone pole. Could not feel a damn thing, but am curious if I would be able to do better with it now that I am older.

Stiffest I ever gamed was an RIP alpha that I hard stepped to xx, back in highschool I used to enjoy swinging out of my shoes. Hence why my three wood is still xx, but I will never get rid of that head that thing has way too much pop in it.

project x 8.0 if I remember correct, a buddy played them

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

The grafalliy bi-matrix (the steel tipped graphite shaft that Bubba Uses), is wickedly stiff. I have a couple in stiff flex, one that I put in a driver and it was unhittable for me. I couldnt swing hard enough to get it airborne. Ive got them in fairway woods now and are better, but stil so stiff. And Bubba hits the xflex tipped over an inch.

Back in the early 1990s, an ACT Tourstik graphite driver shaft, S flex, 1.6* of torque, just like a DG-X100.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Years ago my club guy had built a driver for a local pro with the Graffaloy Axis TX. That shaft was like swinging a tire iron it was so stiff. My s/s was close to 110 then and I wasn't even sure I could swing S-flex everyday. He said the pro had a 128mph s/s and I believe it to swing that shaft!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

The grafalliy bi-matrix (the steel tipped graphite shaft that Bubba Uses), is wickedly stiff. I have a couple in stiff flex, one that I put in a driver and it was unhittable for me. I couldnt swing hard enough to get it airborne. Ive got them in fairway woods now and are better, but stil so stiff. And Bubba hits the xflex tipped over an inch.

That's interesting you say that because I have one in my driver (fit for) in stiff, and I think it's probably my favorite shaft ever. I really enjoy the weight of it. And I don't say this in a bragging way whatsoever -- I'm not a ridiculously fast swinger. I really like it because it feels to me as if the tip is very stiff but the shaft as a whole isn't ridiculously -- or at least doesn't feel.

Golf is cool. :)

I just built a set of irons for one of my members who was a former college baseball player. I put DG Tour Issue X7's in the irons and hit them and they were way to much club for me. As far a graphite goes, I hit a Tour Limited OBAN 70X that was tipped 2", and that was by far the harshest and stiffest feeling shaft I've hit in a driver.

When browsing this site I always see the "low launch low spin shaft threads" that always seem to irritate people (including myself). So it got me to thinking about what really is out there for the 95% of WRXer's that swing 140mph and carry the ball 360 lol. So I guess the main question is for club makers: what is the stiffest shaft you've ever dealt with? And, if you ever hit it, what did it feel like?

Aldila HM 55 S. Felt like rebar. Even the strongest/fastest PGA Tour players did not like the feel and those that did play it, played it in R.

Stiffest driver shaft I've ever hit is the Fujikura Groove XXX.. I had a 46'' in a lefty Krank Formula 5 and the head flew off so it pretty much tipped itself! Glued it back into the head but at it's new length of 44'' it was like a telephone pole and I couldn't launch it well consistently so I pulled it and use as an alignment stick

As far as irons go, PX 7.0 are the stiffest I've hit. I've heard that TT Monaco TX shafts are stout

That's interesting you say that because I have one in my driver (fit for) in stiff, and I think it's probably my favorite shaft ever. I really enjoy the weight of it. And I don't say this in a bragging way whatsoever -- I'm not a ridiculously fast swinger. I really like it because it feels to me as if the tip is very stiff but the shaft as a whole isn't ridiculously -- or at least doesn't feel.

Golf is cool. :)

I also like this shaft, however, the X-flex version of this shaft is around 15 grams heavier, than the S-flex version...

...so, there is a real difference between the S and X-flex...

...however, I can cope with both...

...depending on my mood.

The 2 that stick out in my mind were the Fujikura Rombax 7x in my 913d3 and a Fujikura Fuel 8x in my 913h hybrid. Both were dead right and horrible for me or my swing. I couldn't turn one over if I tried. Straight right every single time. Bailed on X-Stiff and Fujikura at that point.

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

TSI2 18  Pro Blue/MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron Pro White
PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
CAMERON NEWPORT 2/CAMERON 6M
PRO V1X

This year going to put the Fujikura ATMOS Black 8TX tipped 1" in play

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I bought an epic T90 x-stiff shaft to slow down my tempo and keep the ball from going too far left...

When my local tech guy told me there was a metal layer underneath the paint, I knew I might had overkilled it a bit... Not sure why I had it tipped too. Failed experiment!

Bridgestone J715 B5 / Accra tour Z 75+ 05
Adams Tight Lies ti 15*/ UST V2 Tour flight X
TEE CB proH 18* & Cleveland 588 mt 21*
Adams XTD forged 5-pw / C-taper 120S
ATV 50*&54* / X forged MD C-grind 58*
Odyssey Versa BWB #7 / SS 3.0 or
TM Spider Vicino CS / SS pistol gt 2.0
TM Lethal

Used to have a tour issued Speeder 757 X tipped either 2 or 3". It was definitely mich stiffer than retail. Rumor had it was really a speeder 106x prototype.

It was in a 8.5* bore-through 905R or 905S. Great fade monster or duck hook, it wasn't forgiving but dependable for a fade.

Back then unless I pushed the shaft 125+mph, results were a low line drive or less even w/ 5* AoA.

Feel wasn't much except harse when hit in cold or on the toe.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

20 years ago a friend bought a stunning cobra persimmon driver in a used club store in St Andrews. It had an Apollo Masterflex Platinum steel shaft. When he got it home our assistant matched against the flex chart in the workshop. It didn't register. It simply didn't flex. Years later I tried a Nike prototype driver when they were experimenting with various head designs for staff players. 8 degrees with an Aldila Protopype 95x. I could only top the ball. It was a poker.

I got my hands on one of Vijay Singh's Hibore XL Tour's. It had a Ion plated whiteboard 73 or 83 gram X flex in there. It was probably tipped as well. On top of that the driver was bent something like 5-6* open. I tried it in the sim and almost hit the side wall before the screen when I was trying it.

Second up was a V2 86 gram X flex that I put into a stupid experiment. Someone traded in a old Big Bertha (2004 model) 13 wood. It had I think 28 or 30* of loft. I bought it for $5, took the 86 gram X flex out of the Callaway demo cart that hadn't been hit in 3 years, tipped it an inch or so to play to a proper fairway dynamic, put in properly for the bore through, and butt trimmed it to proper length. The thing was the stiffest/heaviest 5/6i I ever hit. It was fun for a bit. I ended up pulling it out and throwing the head in the garbage, but it was a fun experiment.

According to my friend that used to work as a builder at high end fitting studio, the Nippon Modus 130 or 125 X flex (can't remember which), came out to a Rifle 9.8 or something like that when he first got them in about 2 years ago. Now those are some serious shafts. I tried the 120 in the new Srixon 765 and I thought the felt way stiffer and felt heavier than both the PX LZ 6.0 I went with, and the Dynamic Gold AMT s300 I was also fit into. I found this odd considering both shafts that worked well for me were just as/if not heavier than the Nippon...but there was just no feel and I lost a good club in distance.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

XPHLEXXX BUSA Liquid and the Freak Ball. Not sure the flex. Was a long drive guys. Formula 6, 3.5* head. My putter has more loft. It was fun watching it go low right.

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

Speeder VC 9.2 TS X this thing Freq at 8.5 tipped 1/2" in a 3 wood

Accra FX 470 M5+ Untipped it's 8.5 in a driver.

DG X7 pretty stiff but more playable for people because they are swinging shorter length shafts compared to a wood shaft at the same freq

There are some other tour only prototypes that I've tried that are stiffer but those would be the ones that are a little more readily available.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

Bought a Krank driver a while back to play with. It had a XX Flywire in it. I could swing as hard as I could, I mean coming out of my shoes like Bubba hard, and could just get it to kick. That damn shaft was like a 4x4 board. Went down to a X flex Ahina, and it was a 1000 times easier. Maybe I could have played it in my younger days, but in my 30s, that shaft was too stiff.

Callaway XR Pro 9.5, Whiteboard Diamana 75g X
Callaway XR Pro 3 and 5 wood, Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP32, Dynamic Gold X100
Callaway MD3 56*, 60*