2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stiffest shaft you've ever seen/played

Tyler Harris

I've posted this in another thread but I had JB Holmes Cobra S91 driver when he was out for a few years and it had an axivcore (red or green??) x proto not sure of tipping but that thing was stupid... 1 round and it hit the bay. Also had a 907 D4 with the project x 8A4 in the bore through and it was a beast as well.

I currently have the DG black gold x in my irons and they play pretty stiff. Not sure how they compare to the X7? Can't find a chart with them but I thought they were around 7.5 as well. Maybe someone can chime in with FCM for them.

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

Heaviest I played was a speeder 952 x ... awesome in a driver and fwy ... 110 ish then

Heaviest fwy wood was a hk110 prototype in a 7w ... pure awesomeness

I did hit a pro force gold in XX and loved it, can't recall the weight .. it was a buddies in a scramble years back

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

While at the USGA a few years ago I was able to hold Angel Cabrera's personal Ping driver with a shaft that was so crazy stiff I couldnt bend it at all. He donated it to the USGA golf house after winning the US Open at Oakmont in 2007.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I used to play an AXIV 8084 84g, 2.8Torque, 8.4 (XX) mid/high, very stable and very stiff, loved it though...I do use the C-Tapers 130x now...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

When I get in a hook mood I put my Grafalloy bimatrix that I tipped from raw length 46" to play 45" in my m1, no way to turn that sucker over.

Always loved my over tipped blue 75x in my 3wood. Used to play it at 45,5" in driver but tipped it 2", sanded it down and put it in my r15 3w,that thing was stout but rarely missed the fw. The Hzrdus yellow I play now is tipped 1,5" and butt 0,5" from 45,5 and that's not really whippy either but no where near the blue.

Like someone said, DG X7 in the irons could be used as rebar if needed but I love the feeling of control they give

Over the summer i was messing around and tried to replicate Tigers old 975 driver. Bought an x100 for cheap, tipped it 1" and put it in an old 975D head at 43 1/2" D4 swing weight. Sucker was a cannon but I had to absolutely swing out of my shoes to launch it. Felt like swinging a 2x4 and very straight. Pretty fun to mess around with and a good workout but I never took it to the course. Gave it to a buddy who was putting together a Tiger slam bag for his man cave. As far as irons I had a set of Apex 5 Hogan PCs I got from the goodwill and those were some worm burning implements. Found out whoever had them before me must have had them hardstepped twice after I did a little research and comparison to other Apex 5s i had.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

Played in a pro am with Art Sellinger back in 1992-3 or so. He was trying to get more into exhibitons and playing real golf and away from the Long Drive circuit at the time. I believe it was Taylormade that sponsored him then and he showed me his "fairway finder" attempt. It was a 2 wood with a 4X-yes XXXX-shaft. Do not recall the brand of shaft. But he said to me that they just did not understand that just because he hit it a long way did not necessarily mean he need a super extra extra extra extra stiff shaft. I could not bend that thing-hard to even call it a golf shaft!. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

ProForce V2 Tour 90 gram X

1 in like 10 drives would be ballistic. The rest only carried about 200 yards while only being about 20 feet in the air. lol

I had that in my 910Fd and found it really manageable.

It is a 96 gram shaft and most think it feels like a iron rod.

...however, at times, when I have no golf swing at all, this gem is able to tame the club head even if struck on the outer edges...

...great shaft, when you are in the mood to hit it real hard. :taunt:

I was interested in a set of Hogan Apex Blades many years ago (and I eventually bought them too).

But the original shafts were Hogan Apex 5s - they felt like swinging railway rails :happy: - but the guy owning them had found them, when his brother passed away, and they still had the original plastic head protection on most of them - so I bought them, and I replaced the shafts with DG S300s and they were - and still are - a dream to play with.

This happened in 2000, so the model was one year old - and I've been very nice to them, so they are still in good playing condition.

But the original shafts were horrible - especially when the Apex 4s were considered very stiff.

These days the Hogans are into their 3rd or 4th set of shafts - and the combination of the blades and R-flex KBS Taper shafts are still a dream to play with - considering this old geezer is 66 years old by now.

I never had a better set of irons, even though they have cost me far more over the years, than they are probably worth.

My first experience with a very stiff iron shaft was with a set of King Cobra Oversize irons that were a little bit rare when I got them... they are IRWIN grinds that have IRWIN stamped in the hosel much like the font that the NORMAN grinds had. When I took the grips off of them I discovered that they were Dynamic Gold X-200's. I never though that Hale would have played a shaft that stiff? They were said to belong to him and I have never seen another set with the IRWIN stamp since I got them 10 years ago or so. At any rate, They were and still are the stiffest Iron shaft I have ever played.

I have a Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue X that my cousin gave to me. It's pretty stout compared to the X Stiff whiteboard I was using. The stiffest i've ever swung has to be the original RIP Alpha in 80X. I remember the Golf Galaxy i was working at the time got one in the TM demo cart. I "borrowed" it a couple times with a R9 Superdeep 8.5 head on it...it was like swinging a tree trunk.

They had a Nike demo day back in early 2000's when they first started making drivers. They had a replica of Tigers driver. 7.5 degree, grafalloy blue X tipped 1.5 inches!!!! If you could clear a 200 yard carry you would get a dozen balls. The rep said he gave out 0 balls since he started the contest,lol. I swung that thing with all my might 115ss and got it to carry about 175 10 ft off the ground. :taunt:

Titleist 915D4 9.5 w/Speeder TS 7.2x
Tour Edge CB Pro 13.5 w/757x
Titleist 913F.d 18 w/D+ 82 x
Titleist 913H.d 23.5 w/Diamana 92x
Mizuno MP-60 w/x100
Titleist SM4 50.12-54.14-58.12
2 Ball Tour filled and lined 35"
Titleist 2017 Prov1 #18
Titleist Lightweight Staff Bag

Long driver here (also a +1 index). I have come across some pretty stiff shafts in my quest to tame the tee shot. Swing speed with the long drivers reaches 150 and change. 140 ish with a regular driver. My long drivers have xxx shafts in them at 48" an those are pretty boardy. They are both made by fujikura. I was recently playing a 757 speeder evolution3 tour spec that was tipped to about 285 cpm. I play a rombax p95 tipped to 280 in my fairway wood. I have a couple of shafts from house of forged too that are planks. One is a 85g xx driver shaft and the other is a 104g xx shaft I was playing in a fairway wood.

Alot of LD guys use 3 or 4X shafts tipped. Back about 8-10 years ago some were using 5X & 6X shafts. A couple of guys even had 0* drivers ( this was before we had to use USGA rules for tee height.) Cut an iron shaft about 3 inches below the grip, stick the steel shaft in the ground, stick a tee in the grip hole--instant high launch!

I remember sadlowski saying he plays 2x (tipped to fit) in his golf driver and 3x (tipped to fit) in his ld driver. He said anything more 4x was way to stiff for him. He said he was looking for a smoother feeling shaft

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

My boss growing up, the head pro at the course where I worked, took a Pedersen laminated, deep face driver, and put an Aldila "10" shaft in it.

This is before there were lots of graphite shafts available, and Aldila pretty much had the market (early 70's)

The driver played at 43", was stiff as a board, and probably had 10 degrees of loft.

Funny thing was, I was pretty much a left to right player at the time (slow hands) but I could draw this club, and the roll-out was ridiculous!

I interned at Fujikura a few years ago and had access to their full stable of shafts. One day, for S and Gs, I decided to make myself something I couldn't get in the air (which is really hard for me...I hit everything to the moon). I pulled out a Precursor XX and paired it with a SLDR 430. LM results were....not pretty haha but not terrible. Other than that, I also tried a couple of the LD shafts they had in the studio. Oddly enough, I managed to get just about everything flighting well, but there were some major distance and dispersion issues. It was interesting to say the least.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

A hockey buddy who hit his driver about halfway to the moon handed it to me on the tee one day

"Hey Scott, give this sausage a go..."

510TP, 757 X-flex, 10.5 loft.

I swung out of my shoes those days, and I got zero bend out of it.

Was suprised to hit a 10.5 that low....I had an R7 9.5 that I hit to treetop height at the time, the 510TP went about 20 feet in the air.

Funny enough, the LD shafts aren't the stiffest ones out there. I got to hit Jamie Sadlowski's LD gamer, which was a Fuji Proto and his tour gamer which is a XX Ahina and the Mitsu was a pipe. Far stiffer than anything I've ever taken a poke at. Honestly, my Grafalloy blue X felt like a mild stiff compared to that thing. That man is not human.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x