2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike Covert users

TheMerryTex

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1362259305' post='6534935']
I've tried hitting the Covert driver and hybrid on a few occasions and I just hate the feeling and sound. It's unlike any club I've ever hit - but in a bad way. Terribly hollow feeling (obviously). It just felt to me like every stroke was a bad stroke no matter what. No crispness.

I do play a Nike hybrid right now. It has a nice snappy sound and feeling. I can't do the Coverts.
[/quote]
I know sound and feel can be pretty subjective, but "hollow" is the last way I'd describe the Covert's sound.

Very solid and like other have mentioned, even a bit muted when you really pure one.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my Covert Performance last week but I've been unable to hit it due to weather. Can someone that's actually been able to use their Covert Performance tell me if this driver is easy to turn the ball over? My last driver (G20) seemed impossible to hit a draw with for me. Just curious if anyone could speak to the clubs ability to work the ball, especially a draw?

[quote name='WV_Golfer' timestamp='1362357099' post='6541155']
I received my Covert Performance last week but I've been unable to hit it due to weather. Can someone that's actually been able to use their Covert Performance tell me if this driver is easy to turn the ball over? My last driver (G20) seemed impossible to hit a draw with for me. Just curious if anyone could speak to the clubs ability to work the ball, especially a draw?
[/quote]

I have the performance with the KK silver and have no issues with turning it over, I can work it either way. It does want to go straight, but left/right can be done.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='WV_Golfer' timestamp='1362357099' post='6541155']
[/quote]

I think it is turns over nicely can hit draws like clock work. I think like with all drivers though its important to find a shaft that suits your swing with proper flex and weight.

Glad to hear you guys aren't having trouble turning it over with this head. Thanks for the replies. Some heads just seem like they aren't made to turn over. I usually don't have trouble working a driver either way, but for whatever reason, the g20 did not want to turn over for me. But sounds like this shouldn't be the case with the Performance head.

Walked into GG yesterday looking for a Cally x-hot pro 23* hybrid. They had a get 50% more in trade if going toward GD gold medal award winner. Walked a little too far and picked up the covert, long story short, ended up paying 1.80 for a performance head with KK 60 Silver stiff shaft.

I just got a x-hot with a ad di6s but this was carrying 5-10 yards further. I was swinging about 99 with my x-hot and hit 104 a couple of times with the covert.

[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1360876154' post='6429807']
Just ordered a performance covert with ahina (nike version) at 45" can't wait to get it and try it out. How long have you guys been waiting for your custom orders?
[/quote] Did you have to have hot melt added in order to keep the swing weight where it was at stock as I believe the stock shaft is 45.75" in length. Cutting 1/2" is .3 pts. Maybe the swing weight didn't change I don't know?

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='BC33' timestamp='1360885860' post='6430617']
Covert Performance
Ozik Matrix HD6
45" D-4

Supposed to ship tomorrow. I've played the HD6 in my last three drivers and just really like this shaft.
[/quote] Is D-4 the stock head weight or did you have hot melt added. Just curious as I purchased a reg. flex Matrix 6Q3 which is similar to the HD6 and want to have it tip trimmed so it plays a little stiffer

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Some thoughts from Mondays round:
Covert Perf KK Silv 60 S
10.5 Right Std Length

Really enjoyed the round with the driver. At 10.5 this thing has a great launch angle for me. I like hitting it pretty high and the 10.5 setting worked out great. I had thought about 11.5, but no need now. I tried to flight a couple of drives lower than I usually hit it, and then worked out pretty well too. At the "Right" setting, the thing doesn't want to go left which is awesome. In my head, I still sometimes have the fear of the hook. Not Monday. I was aiming at trouble on the left and then ball would just slide off to the middle (with the occasional over cut). I'm leaving the settings there for a few more rounds before maybe trying something different.

Covert Tour 3 KK silv 70 stiff
15 deg Neutral

Another really good club. It's a beast off the tee. It has a high, slightly drawing ball flight which I like with 3 wood. Off the ground was the biggest surprise. I'm not the best fwy off the deck player. Usually come out better laying up and attacking with wedge than trying to bust 3 off the ground, but this was a round with my dad and a good friend so I figured what the heck. My first attempt came with a yardage of 245 to the green playing staight up the hill (guessing 255 to flag adding in elevation). I put it in the front bunker (just missed getting it over). That's a pretty big carry for me with 3 wood off the ground. Only miss that came with 3 wood was a fatted hook that I never found. The re-tee was busted though.

Overall, I'm happy with the clubs. Last night, I added a Covert Tour 3 hyb to replace my Vr Pro Hyb. We had been on bad terms for a few rounds. Can't wait to get out and try it.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Good friend of mine just got his last week... 10.5 regular Covert w/ Fuel 60 stiff... It cant compare to his current driver : 10.5 VRS w/ OBAN Devo 6 04

He says it not even close.....

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Love my covert!

First time I used it was in 40* weather during a range session. I hit over 100 balls that day and no plastic breakages whatsoever. Even though it's cold right now, I am absolutely killing this driver and am seeing a big increase in distance. I think that it is far less forgiving from my old driver (Ping K15), but the distance, looks, and tunability of this driver make it a keeper in my book.

I've finally gotten my Covert Tour dialed in. I have it cut down to 43.5", 8.5 degrees of loft and set to the "right" position to close the face off. I kept hitting the ball way to high in the air for my liking, so I went from 10.5, 9.5 and finally down to 8.5. I'm liking the ball flight and trajectory off the face. Now if only the weather would be half decent for a few days straight so I can hit the course. I have yet to play this driver on a course....

Just picked up a Covert Performance yesterday and WOW is this driver forgiving!! It's also as long as any of my other 5 drivers (all good ones with upgraded shafts) but I am more impressed with how easy it is to hit where you want it. I have still have some silly easy to hit drivers (Ping K15, TM Burner Draw) but the Covert is better, and I'm playing it longer than the others I have. I have some shaft options in the works and I think this will only get better.
The sound does vary depending on where you hit it but is never obnoxiously tinny or loud. It is actually relatively quiet, which I like. The muted thwack it makes is not my first choice compared to other drivers I've had but again it is not a bad sound either. I'm still undecided on the red head color so I may give it a covert ops paint job. Wouldn't be the first driver I've painted.

Really amazed at how well this one works.

[quote name='LittleBigDog' timestamp='1362706179' post='6567747']
Just picked up a Covert Performance yesterday and WOW is this driver forgiving!! It's also as long as any of my other 5 drivers (all good ones with upgraded shafts) but I am more impressed with how easy it is to hit where you want it. I have still have some silly easy to hit drivers (Ping K15, TM Burner Draw) but the Covert is better, and I'm playing it longer than the others I have. I have some shaft options in the works and I think this will only get better.
The sound does vary depending on where you hit it but is never obnoxiously tinny or loud. It is actually relatively quiet, which I like. The muted thwack it makes is not my first choice compared to other drivers I've had but again it is not a bad sound either. I'm still undecided on the red head color so I may give it a covert ops paint job. Wouldn't be the first driver I've painted.

[/quote]

Give yourself a couple of weeks with the Covert................you won't even notice it's red anymore.

Focus on executing your shot/swing, everything else becomes a blur.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

[quote name='TipZuno' timestamp='1362585448' post='6557779']
[quote name='BC33' timestamp='1360885860' post='6430617']
Covert Performance
Ozik Matrix HD6
45" D-4

Supposed to ship tomorrow. I've played the HD6 in my last three drivers and just really like this shaft.
[/quote] Is D-4 the stock head weight or did you have hot melt added. Just curious as I purchased a reg. flex Matrix 6Q3 which is similar to the HD6 and want to have it tip trimmed so it plays a little stiffer
[/quote]

Hot melt was added to the head, custom build direct from Nike.[attachment=1574529:image.jpg]

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

So today I was at Golf Galaxy and wanted to try the Performace head w/ KK silver shaft. I already have the covert performance with stock shaft but wanted to hit a few with the tour's stock shaft. The guy at GG said there was an up charge if I wanted to order the performance head with KK silver shaft. I thought I read on here MANY times that this was not an up charge. Who's correct here? The guy at GG was adimant that an up charge was required to get that combo...

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

+1 no upcharge. I ordered mine thru DD's, Performance head with the KK silver.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='QuickFeet' timestamp='1362706774' post='6567807']
[quote name='LittleBigDog' timestamp='1362706179' post='6567747']

[/quote]

Give yourself a couple of weeks with the Covert................you won't even notice it's red anymore.

Focus on executing your shot/swing, everything else becomes a blur.
[/quote]

Yep I'm going to leave it as is for awhile at least. The color really didn't bother me, probably mostly because I was getting great results. I once had a driver that was super loud but also was inconsistent, so there was nothing there to justify the obnoxious noise pollution it was putting out.
At the range, with truly crap balls and 55 degrees outside, I was consistently 10 to 20 yards longer than the GS and GG simulators. This is not to say the Covert is longer than other drivers, just that the simulators can be decieving or set up poorly of course. I'll bring some real balls to the range and see what I get out of them.

What could one expect with the Silver Kuro Kage vs the Black Kuro Kage ...I was hitting the Covert Performance head with the Black Kage & was getting some ballooning.
My thoughts was if I switched it out to the Silver I could get the height down due to the stiffer tip ...
Also I was wondering if the feel would be affected ??
Any thoughts on this ??
Thanks

[quote name='PLogsdon' timestamp='1362716641' post='6568929']
So today I was at Golf Galaxy and wanted to try the Performace head w/ KK silver shaft. I already have the covert performance with stock shaft but wanted to hit a few with the tour's stock shaft. The guy at GG said there was an up charge if I wanted to order the performance head with KK silver shaft. I thought I read on here MANY times that this was not an up charge. Who's correct here? The guy at GG was adimant that an up charge was required to get that combo...
[/quote]

He is wrong. No upcharge for either KK shaft in the performance or tour

I'm going with a Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 TS. I see this kicking out my 913 D2 with Miyazaki B.Asha