It is getting out of control with fans yelling stuff after players hit! (merged)

Eec55

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='1972Todd' timestamp='1376364387' post='7665276']
Unfortunately those guys are looked at as customers, and as the old saying goes "the customer is always right". I've worked in retail management for over 15 years and no matter what rules, policies, or ethics are broken short of murder, the customer is always right.
[/quote]

I hate this phrase because it's just not true or useful. As someone who has worked in retail at many levels, including management, this is just bad thinking. The customer deserves to be treated with respect, to have their views heard and to be given a degree of leeway in many circumstances...but they are not always right and sometimes they need to be informed of that fact. The most obvious thing is I would never allow a customer to verbally abuse my employees or be purposefully offending to them. Customers like that would be asked to leave immediately and not to return again. I have had to "fire" more than one customer in my day and the business was better for it.

This is especially true when one customers behavior has a negative effect on a greater number of customers. Think of rowdy bar patrons carrying on in an aggressive, threatening manner. They need to be removed so the rest of the customers can enjoy themselves in a safe, fun atmosphere. Same thing here...I think the large majority of people are bothered by this behavior and find it annoying, I know I do.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Unfortunately those guys are looked at as customers, and as the old saying goes "the customer is always right". I've worked in retail management for over 15 years and no matter what rules, policies, or ethics are broken short of murder, the customer is always right.
[/quote]

Sir, I suggest you have worked for "spineless managers".
to wit:
[url="http://www.customerssuck.com/board/"]http://www.customerssuck.com/board/[/url]
[url="http://notalwaysright.com/"]http://notalwaysright.com/[/url]

:)

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1376400610' post='7666864']
Dufner on Stern this morning says he likes baba booey. There it is
[/quote]

Yeah the problem is that the more you talk about how much it annoys you, the more it makes golf seem like an elitist stuck-up game which only encourages more yelling. If you look on Twitter a lot of people were mocking Poulter for complaining about it and telling him to get over it, fans in other sports yell, etc.

I personally hate the yelling I think it sounds moronic but Duff probably has the right attitude. I wouldn't mind it so much if they at least waited until the ball was well in flight before they started yelling out dumb stuff. Currently they are trying to time it exactly at impact and it definitely can impact the players.

Also at other sports fans usually yell stuff that is relevant to the game/player - in golf they are just yelling random stupid things and it really gets old fast.

At some point I guess every tournament will be like the 16th "Stadium hole" at the Phoenix Open, which I think will be a sad day for golf personally.

[/quote]

Good attitude, but he stands alone if these are his true thoughts.

Funny, I really don't mind when the crowd says "Oh YEAH - woohoo" or some other reaction to the fact that the Pro absolutely POUNDED the daylights out of a shot. A true reaction if you will. The thing that bothers me is the premeditated act where a fan is trying to be funny. Mashed potatoes for example.

But if a gallery is truly impressed and is reacting to the long bomb then I'm all for the bursts. That's excitement being manifested. I love that. You saw that a lot with Tigers galleries 5 years ago. People were giddy after his bombs. It didn't interfere with the swing at all.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[/quote]

Total PR move...if he had come out and said it was stupid while on the show he would have been lambasted by the staff and listeners...these idiots yelling will defend their "right" to act like a moron to no end...and they will defend it loudly

But then again...Dufner is...unique...so maybe he does like it

I was having this discussion with my cousin's friend about this yesterday...He tried bringing the constitution into the argument...this idiocy is NOT what the founding fathers were referring to...I guarantee it

What's in the Bag
Driver - TaylorMade R11tp 8*, Fujikura Blur 65X
3 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 13.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

5 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X
Hybrid - TaylorMade R11tp 16*, Aldila RIP 85X
Irons - Titleist 620 CB (3-6), 620 MB (7-9), DynaGold X100
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D, DynaGold X100
Putter - Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball - Titleist ProV1x

The problem with this is...these idiots have to be the first one to yell something.

The one where Furyk looked back at the guy, with the death stare, I'm not sure he had even made contact with the ball yet. If you can't control your idiocy, please make sure it is at least close to the fairway before you yell something stupid.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1376403691' post='7667248']
I didn't know Howard Stern still had a radio show.
[/quote]

The only thing good to come out of Howard Stern was his guy Benji Bronk who went around heckling former Congressman Weiner just before he resigned. Right after Weiner gave his farewell speech press conference, Benji yelled - "bye bye pervert!."

As far as fans screaming at golf tournaments. No. It is not a free speech issue. It is not golf being stuffy and elitist either. It is a golf tournament - not a wrestling match, bear baiting or dog fight. If people engage in thug like behavior - it ruins it for the majority of fans and the players.

[quote name='LUMA' timestamp='1376370868' post='7665794']
I know many rednecks who in no way act in a foul manner.

There is a difference between a redneck and trailer trash.
[/quote]

Yup. Between Boo Weekly fans and Bubba Watson fans.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1376414958' post='7668696']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The most boorish and uncivilized behavior that I have seen at a golf tourney is upstate NY and suburban Chicago. Disgusting.

One of two things (or both) will have to happen for some serious action to be taken by the PGA:

- Some idiot yelling something offensive (racially offensive will really bring attention to it).
- Yell in the middle of the player's swing and cause them to hit a horrible shot because of it. (if the player is in contention to win, even more so)

In other words, I hate to say this but I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

So we have a situation where a guy has a big gamble going on a player he is one shot behind playing the 71st hole, water in the front of the green, now if he gets his timing right, he could have a winner here, Of course it,s to late then for the PGA to wake up, Its a problem , deal with it and do it now

An all-time low this week. I switched off.

Most Americans on here are absolutely fine, as has been pretty much every American I have ever met (with the exception of a couple of ridiculously stupid Texans)... So why does golf in the US act as some sort of mecca to the moronic, 40 year old virgin demographic of US society?

Stupid Texan?! I no stupid !!!! Haha, it's the trailer parks!!! Also, I guarantee that curbing the beer sales at the events will not sober these morons up. They are in the parking lot talking about how many Keystone lights they drank the night before at the crack of dawn.

Get a really hot girl to stand on the tees. Then have her roll her eyes and make fun of the people who yell!! No dude likes that!!! 1118-398x600.jpg

With that post, you proved that there are pretty smart people in Texas.

This might actually be the only thing which will work.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='slide13' timestamp='1376402680' post='7667102']
[/quote]

I hate this phrase because it's just not true or useful. As someone who has worked in retail at many levels, including management, this is just bad thinking. The customer deserves to be treated with respect, to have their views heard and to be given a degree of leeway in many circumstances...but they are not always right and sometimes they need to be informed of that fact. The most obvious thing is I would never allow a customer to verbally abuse my employees or be purposefully offending to them. Customers like that would be asked to leave immediately and not to return again. I have had to "fire" more than one customer in my day and the business was better for it.

This is especially true when one customers behavior has a negative effect on a greater number of customers. Think of rowdy bar patrons carrying on in an aggressive, threatening manner. They need to be removed so the rest of the customers can enjoy themselves in a safe, fun atmosphere. Same thing here...I think the large majority of people are bothered by this behavior and find it annoying, I know I do.
[/quote]

I hate it too, but its a reality. There is an exception to every rule. I don't think any customer should be allowed to be threatening to anyone either. I'm looking at the big picture or root cause. My point was regarding money as the issue. Retail was my example.

Driver: Cleveland 588 Altitude 9*
3-wood: Acer XF 15*
Hybrids: Acer XF 22* & 25*
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 6-pw
Wedges: Acer XB Satin 52* & 56*
Putter: Golfmate Milled Series

[quote name='nikonut' timestamp='1376404443' post='7667334']
[/quote]

Sir, I suggest you have worked for "spineless managers".
to wit:
[url="http://www.customerssuck.com/board/"]http://www.customerssuck.com/board/[/url]
[url="http://notalwaysright.com/"]http://notalwaysright.com/[/url]

:)
[/quote]
I agree, I definitely have and for some fairly large companies. My point was money is the issue. Retail was simply an example. Money isn't the reason the idiots are yelling when a player tees off. That's a need for attention, good or bad. Money is the reason it's allowed. If it causes a tournament to loose money, it'll be stopped. If it doesn't, it'll continue. The exception is Augusta, which is my favorite tournament to watch.

Driver: Cleveland 588 Altitude 9*
3-wood: Acer XF 15*
Hybrids: Acer XF 22* & 25*
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 6-pw
Wedges: Acer XB Satin 52* & 56*
Putter: Golfmate Milled Series

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1376594085' post='7682962']
[/quote]

He probably does like baba booey, the producer. I doubt he likes it to be screamed repeatedly in his back swing.
[/quote]

He said it doesn't bother him because people don't do it in his backswing. He was laughing on twitter over the weekend about guys doing it at the Solheim Cup.

Keegan Bradley on this morning in about 10 minutes and he will say the same thing.

Ian Poulter is going to go mental this weekend with all the Baba Booeys he is going to get being in Stern's back yard. Dufner even suggested having Baba Booey himself go and do it to Poulter

was at the champions event yesterday where you literally get as close to a player as any event i've been at. i have a feeling if someone screamed mashed potatoes or anything, they would have been thrown out asap, or one of those players i could see coming over to tell them to stuff it. was trying to imagine what's it's like at those other venues.....has to be uncomfortable to say the least.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='cinnepa' timestamp='1376925648' post='7705092']
was at the champions event yesterday where you literally get as close to a player as any event i've been at. i have a feeling if someone screamed mashed potatoes or anything, they would have been thrown out asap, or one of those players i could see coming over to tell them to stuff it. was trying to imagine what's it's like at those other venues.....has to be uncomfortable to say the least.
[/quote]

only funny to yell stuff when there are people watching at home on TV

[quote name='Josh L.' timestamp='1377008394' post='7711976']
[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/unmasking-golfs-infamous-shouters-can-they-be-stopped/"]http://www.golfchann...hey-be-stopped/[/url]
[/quote]

in the article, they used full names and cities. if there were anyone to troll with phone calls in the middle of the night, it would be these dingleberries.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/unmasking-golfs-infamous-shouters-can-they-be-stopped/
[/quote]

And of course they're all in their 20s, except for the 33yo who must believe that "30 is the new 20"

**smh**

As one poster wrote, it will probably get worse before it gets better. Why wait til something truly offensive is blurted out before taking action?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1376414958' post='7668696']

[/quote]

[/quote]

BS. The Southern fans at Vallhalla in KY were a lot better than Chicago fans and the USA won. The fan in KY were not nasty towards the European players. The Chicago fans enraged the Euro team and they came out and kicked the USA's. Fans at southern courses are usually better behaved not FL and the scum at TPC heckling people.

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1377011830' post='7712400']
[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/unmasking-golfs-infamous-shouters-can-they-be-stopped/"]http://www.golfchann...hey-be-stopped/[/url]
[/quote]

And of course they're all in their 20s, except for the 33yo who must believe that "30 is the new 20"

**smh**

As one poster wrote, it will probably get worse before it gets better. Why wait til something truly offensive is blurted out before taking action?
[/quote]

truly offensive or the guy who mistimes his shout and yells before impact and causes the player to toe his drive into someone's face.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1377011830' post='7712400']
[/quote]

**smh**

[/quote]

A bunch of spoiled kids who are golfers. Probably country club brats and mommy and daddy pay for their tickets to these tournaments. What a joke.