44 inch driver.....WOW!

Flyers99

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1371302180' post='7247912']
cutting from the butt end, will that make the staft stouter?[/quote]

Generally no, though it depends on the shaft profile. A recent exercise with Howard Jones (IIRC) with a shaft profile for a particular graphite showed there would be no change to the flex with butt trimming.

[quote] and if for some reason you would want to make it longer again and adding an extention would that change the profile of the shaft at all or would it be noticable??
[/quote]

Some folks claim to notice such things, and I've personally never tried it myself, so can't offer a personal experience based answer. The common wisdom suggests it wouldn't be noticeable, unless you're adding a long extension.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1371302180' post='7247912']
cutting from the butt end, will that make the staft stouter? and if for some reason you would want to make it longer again and adding an extention would that change the profile of the shaft at all or would it be noticable??
[/quote]

Shortening any shaft will increase the CPM but there will more than likely be a greater/more noticeable increase when trimmed at the tip vs the butt.

I recently went to 44.5 from 45.75. Such a big difference. Not only hitting it straighter but longer due to hitting the sweet spot more often. It also seems like I can feel the weight of the head better, which I like.

Driver- Taylormade M1 460 9.5*, 7m3 Black Tie S
Fairway- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 HL, 16*, 8m3 Black Tie S
Hybrid- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, 19*, hm3 Black Tie S
Irons- Adams CMB 4-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Wedges- Adams CMB GW, Taylormade EF ATV 54*, Vokey SM3 60*
Putter- TM Ghost Spider S

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1366812773' post='6907239']
[quote name='TahoeDust' timestamp='1366799191' post='6906329']
So, right now my R11s shaft measures 44" from the tip of the adapter to the butt. I believes that means the driver plays 45.25. Is this correct? Can someone confirm? Also, if I was to cut off 1.25" to make it play 44" do you think the swing weight change would be noticeable? How much weight would I need to add to the head to keep it the same swing weight?
[/quote]

At 44" you can use 10 grams pr inch you cut of,(12.5 grams in your case) and YES you cant take of 1.25 without you notice
- If flex and launch is fine now, take half of tip, rest from butt.
If you ONLY cutt off from butt, launch will raise some due to more head weight on the same shaft, so we tip trim to keep it as close to original specs in play, unless there is other needs for either a tad higher or lower launch than it is.
[/quote]

I'm glad I read this before I trimmed my new shaft. Thanks for laying this out.

I was thinking about cutting my 913D2 down a half inch to 44.5". Launch and flex are both fine for me, but hoping for just a little more control over my misses.

If only taking off a half inch, do you think I'd have to remove half from tip and half from butt to keep flex and launch? Or would half inch off the butt not affect those two things.

Shaft is Stock RIP Phenom 70.

Thanks for any input.

[quote name='smitty' timestamp='1371426524' post='7258550']
[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1366812773' post='6907239']
[quote name='TahoeDust' timestamp='1366799191' post='6906329']
So, right now my R11s shaft measures 44" from the tip of the adapter to the butt. I believes that means the driver plays 45.25. Is this correct? Can someone confirm? Also, if I was to cut off 1.25" to make it play 44" do you think the swing weight change would be noticeable? How much weight would I need to add to the head to keep it the same swing weight?
[/quote]

At 44" you can use 10 grams pr inch you cut of,(12.5 grams in your case) and YES you cant take of 1.25 without you notice
- If flex and launch is fine now, take half of tip, rest from butt.
If you ONLY cutt off from butt, launch will raise some due to more head weight on the same shaft, so we tip trim to keep it as close to original specs in play, unless there is other needs for either a tad higher or lower launch than it is.
[/quote]

I'm glad I read this before I trimmed my new shaft. Thanks for laying this out.

I was thinking about cutting my 913D2 down a half inch to 44.5". Launch and flex are both fine for me, but hoping for just a little more control over my misses.

If only taking off a half inch, do you think I'd have to remove half from tip and half from butt to keep flex and launch? Or would half inch off the butt not affect those two things.

Shaft is Stock RIP Phenom 70.

Thanks for any input.
[/quote]

0.5 total reduction want need any special attention, here, you want notice a cut down from butt only, vs 50/50 here.
- Its when someone is going from lets say 46" to 44", and by that need a larger amount of weight added back to the head.
Then we must pull the shaft and tip trim to keep it to play close to before cut down.

When we are down at 0.5, its not much weight you must re-set, so its no issue down at so small changes.
Graphite dont go way stronger by tipping, its mostly a shorter tip section we get by trimming, so if you want it a bit "firmer" (small change but), then take it all from the tip, and reset SW value.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1371314131' post='7248738']
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will cut mine down to 44.5 or 44. Is there a rule of thumb on how short to have it, such as wrist to floor measurement or something, or is it more trial and error?
[/quote]

Yes it is, but you should find whats right for you.
- All charts is only a starting point, but the one im using from Tom Wishon is very good, but you can do it yourself
[color=#282828]Here is a "Ghetto" method to find the right club length and swing weight, without seeing a shop.[/color]

[color=#282828]Get a whiteboard pen, some graffa tape, and a few coins. (dimes is nice)[/color]
[color=#282828]- Mark the ball with a dot, facing sweet spot at address[/color]
[color=#282828]- Hit a few ball and look for impact mark.[/color]

[color=#282828]- Against the heel side - Shaft is too long[/color]
[color=#282828]- All over the face - Shaft is too long[/color]
[color=#282828]- Out against the toe mostly - Shaft is to short[/color]
[color=#282828]- Sweet spots more than 70 %, about maximum club length (within 3/4 of an inch large circle)[/color]

[color=#282828]- To simulate different club lengths, put a 1/2 inch wide piece of tape on top of your grip, as you "chopped" that part of.[/color]
[color=#282828]- Take your grip lower than the tape, and hit another ball - Look for impact marks.[/color]

[color=#282828]- If your club head becomes to light (no control), put a peace of tape on the butt of your club head (to protect it from scratches), then put a coin on the tape, and seal it with some tape on top of it.[/color]
[color=#282828]- A dime is a "dust" more than 2 grams, who equals to 1 Swing weight point (rules of thumb, its a bit less on a driver)[/color]
[color=#282828]- Gripping down 0.5 will give the feeling of loosing 3 Swing weight points / 6 grams / 3 x a dime from the club head.[/color]

[color=#282828]But don't "trust" the standard value of the Club to be right for you. Don't be afraid to try both higher and lower swing weight than standard to find YOURS.[/color]

[color=#282828]- Remember when you grip down, grip size goes down, and your grip might become to "tight".[/color]

[color=#282828]Good luck![/color]

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Cobra Amp 9.5 w/ NV 65S shaft at 44.25 tipped a half inch, cut it down a full inch and it's an absolute joke..distance is exactly the same, but its translated to a hell of a lot more fairways...shorter is better

getting another shaft next week, going to set it up to play at a hair under 44...interested to see how it'll work. I've never been one to be short on club head speed (played lacrosse and hockey when i was in HS) so with being more of a hitter than a swinger, im expecting there to be even better contact

TM R11TP Rip Alpha 60X
Ping i20 15* wood TFC707 X
TM RBZTP 17.5* Rul 80X
TM MC TP 3-PW w/ DG X100
TM ATV 54*, Vokey 60*
Bettinardi BB1 with Superstroke Mid

Thinking about shortening up my ping g10 with a tfc129 reg. shaft from 45.75 to 44.5. I figured I'd add a 10g tip weight and possibly some lead tape to get the weight back up. After reading this I figure I should be taking some of that from the tip. Would I see an problems taking .5 from the tip and .75 from the butt or should I just take equal amounts from both sides (0.625)?

Playing my 913 D2 at 44.5.
Awesome. Much better contact. New standard for me.
5'9", 30"arm length. Just fits me well.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1371450744' post='7261138']
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will cut mine down to 44.5 or 44. Is there a rule of thumb on how short to have it, such as wrist to floor measurement or something, or is it more trial and error?
[/quote]

- All charts is only a starting point, but the one im using from Tom Wishon is very good, but you can do it yourself
[color=#282828]Here is a "Ghetto" method to find the right club length and swing weight, without seeing a shop.[/color]

[color=#282828]Get a whiteboard pen, some graffa tape, and a few coins. (dimes is nice)[/color]

[color=#282828]- Sweet spots more than 70 %, about maximum club length (within 3/4 of an inch large circle)[/color]

[color=#282828]- To simulate different club lengths, put a 1/2 inch wide piece of tape on top of your grip, as you "chopped" that part of.[/color]
[color=#282828]- Take your grip lower than the tape, and hit another ball - Look for impact marks.[/color]

[color=#282828]- If your club head becomes to light (no control), put a peace of tape on the butt of your club head (to protect it from scratches), then put a coin on the tape, and seal it with some tape on top of it.[/color]
[color=#282828]- A dime is a "dust" more than 2 grams, who equals to 1 Swing weight point (rules of thumb, its a bit less on a driver)[/color]
[color=#282828]- Gripping down 0.5 will give the feeling of loosing 3 Swing weight points / 6 grams / 3 x a dime from the club head.[/color]

[color=#282828]But don't "trust" the standard value of the Club to be right for you. Don't be afraid to try both higher and lower swing weight than standard to find YOURS.[/color]

[color=#282828]- Remember when you grip down, grip size goes down, and your grip might become to "tight".[/color]

[/quote]

Thanks a lot Howard for all of your insight I will definately try this experiment and see what happens.

While we are on the subject, interested in those that have cut down drivers to 44-44.5 what length are you playing three woods at??? Have you had the same kind of results??

[quote]

While we are on the subject, interested in those that have cut down drivers to 44-44.5 what length are you playing three woods at??? Have you had the same kind of results??
[/quote]

I'm interested in hearing an answer on this as well. Wondering if cutting down the hybrids and fairway wood is a good idea. Wouldn't mind having the hybrids just a half inch or inch longer than my 5 iron. But I already hit the hybrids pretty dang well so don't know if there are results to be had.

[quote name='smitty' timestamp='1371516464' post='7267922']
[quote]

[/quote]

I'm interested in hearing an answer on this as well. Wondering if cutting down the hybrids and fairway wood is a good idea. Wouldn't mind having the hybrids just a half inch or inch longer than my 5 iron. But I already hit the hybrids pretty dang well so don't know if there are results to be had.
[/quote]

Currently, my 3 wood is at 43½", but I'd rather have it at 43". I neglected to add a tip weight when I installed the shaft (R11s, XCalibur Tour Fairway). I also should have tipped it; have another shaft and tip, so will likely be trying again, if I don't skip that idea and pick up a Motore F3 80...

Either way, I prefer keeping my 3 wood no longer than 43".

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1371522603' post='7268768']
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Currently, my 3 wood is at 43½", but I'd rather have it at 43". I neglected to add a tip weight when I installed the shaft (R11s, XCalibur Tour Fairway). I also should have tipped it; have another shaft and tip, so will likely be trying again, if I don't skip that idea and pick up a Motore F3 80...

[/quote]

Yah I'm currently at 43 right now with the titleist and I like it. But I am curious if even more control could be achieved without any negatives.

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1371505284' post='7266408']
[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1371450744' post='7261138']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks a lot Howard for all of your insight I will definately try this experiment and see what happens.

[/quote]

WOW, cut my driver down from 45.5" down to 44.5". Took 1/2" off the tip and 1/2" off the butt. Man oh man what a difference in finding the fairway and finding the center of the clubface everytime! I also am probably 10 yard longer!! Thank you all so very much for the insight and recommendations.

There are a lot of claims to the secret to golf, but I believe this ranks up there pretty high. I will never in my life play another driver longer than 44.5". To those that have not tried it and are on the fence. I don't think you will regret it.

Thanks again guys!!!

So if your driver is 44" long....how long is the actual shaft?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1372381503' post='7338612']
So if your driver is 44" long....how long is the actual shaft?
[/quote]

There's no single answer, it will vary depending on each model driver.

I think for the people noticing a difference in stiffness after butt trimming that it's all in your head. Today I was testing a driver that I had tipped 1-1/2" and was hitting it great. I didn't remember that it was tip trimmed untli afterwards, and I'm glad because I'm sure I would have been trying anything other than my usual swing.

I took 1.5 inches off my driver and proceeded to add 16 cotton balls to the head of my Rapture...

It's now consistently longer than my I20 and is finding more fairways...

Sounds freaking incredible too. If anyone has owned a Rapture they know it is muted ready. A stranger I golfed with Thursday kept fhinking I Mis-hit the ball and BOOM it's down there a mile (for me). Hilarious how quiet it is.

[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok guys, I cut driver down to 44.5" and 3 wood to 43". Both are absolutely amazing! Just curious does anyone hit a shorter hybrid or does this just apply to drivers and 3 woods? am looking to get a new hybrid and wondered before I order if I should have them shorten any if needed. I play standard length irons if this helps. Thanks!

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1372618671' post='7356514']
I play the following lengths:
Driver 44.25"
3 wood 42.50"
5 wood 41.75"
3h 39.50"

All at D3
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Jewofgolf.

Just curious what other have for their hybrid lengths with the same driver and 3 wood lengths as mine.

Driver - 44.5"
3 Wood - 43"
Hybrid - ???"

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1372599767' post='7355102']
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok guys, I cut driver down to 44.5" and 3 wood to 43". Both are absolutely amazing! Just curious does anyone hit a shorter hybrid or does this just apply to drivers and 3 woods? am looking to get a new hybrid and wondered before I order if I should have them shorten any if needed. I play standard length irons if this helps. Thanks!
[/quote]

I'd love to help, but I don't play a hybrid at the moment. I have one, a Bridgestone AirMuscle, but it isn't shafted; an earlier attempt with it was a miserable failure. <shrug>

If I give it another go, I'll cut it to the length such that the swingweight is around the D4-D5 I'm so fond of. Not terribly helpful, I'm afraid.

So....i'm back to my tour issue R11s at 44.25"! I've had a 913D2 at 44.5" I just couldn't get comfortable with and now have an R1 and i'm in the same boat. I first had the R1 at 45.5 with a Fuel TS and hit it pretty well, cut it down to 45" and something has went wrong lol. Not sure why I even left the R11s with a Tour AD BB 6S.....plays at 10* and 3* open and I hit it consistently 270-280 and straighter then any driver I've ever hit and she won't go left......AT ALL. For some reason it just sets up perfect and feels just right at D2.5. The next driver I have I think I will just build to the exact same specs and me being 5'6" it just works.

10.5* (@ 9*) Stealth+ w/ Diamana ZF 60s - 44.75"
16* (@ 15.6*) Tour Issue SLDR Mini w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7s - 42.5" 
18* Tour Issue Stealth w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s - 41.75"
ZX7 4-pw w/ Modus 120s
SM9 50 08F w/ Modus 120s

SM9 55 13D w/ Modus 120s
33" Piretti Cottonwood 2

TP5x

I butt trimmed 3/4" off my G15 driver. Went from 45.75" down to 45". Swing weight went from D2 down to C8. Club is noticeably lighter.

Results were really good. Very surprising that 3/4" could make that much difference. I was hitting fairways, length was really good. Before I tended to spray the ball inconsistently.

Thanks for the great idea everyone!

[quote name='bobdenver1961' timestamp='1372702914' post='7363856']
I butt trimmed 3/4" off my G15 driver. Went from 45.75" down to 45". Swing weight went from D2 down to C8. Club is noticeably lighter.

Results were really good. Very surprising that 3/4" could make that much difference. I was hitting fairways, length was really good. Before I tended to spray the ball inconsistently.

Thanks for the great idea everyone!
[/quote]

Hey Bob Denver 1961, my name could be John Denver 1960. Where do you normally play? I've got a Denver card and a Raccoon Creek card so I'm getting out once a week and hitting the practice facilities once as well.
My driver is a touch over 44 weighed C8 and it works great, wasn't even hitting my occasional slice, just small fades and out there a good distance. The gent asking about 3 wood and hybrid lenghts brings up the school of thought for me to have them at all the same length (except drive). I've been looking into it, the One Iron System clubs and may make up a set that way to try out.