QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

QMany

Care to share some light on this please Q? As in efficient so you spend 20 mins drills then 20 mins hitting and that's it? rather than say beating balls searching for 'it' - I'm sure we've all been guilty of that at some point. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Practice

One of the big takeaways was how I should practice and prepare for events. In the past, I’ll be the first to tell you I didn’t practice efficiently. I would hit balls more than anyone I know, but it probably wasn’t the best way to bring about a swing change. For example, I would grind for an hour or two hitting 9i after 9i at the 150 flag, maybe working on a specific feel, and then get disappointed if I wasn’t flagging it.

GG talked to me a lot about moving between internal and external focus during a practice session. For example, set aside 10 balls and work on exaggerated moves [like] sitting into the R and keeping the hands high at 50%. You can think about mechanics but don’t worry about where the ball goes! Then, set aside 10 balls and only think about targets, such as playing the iron point game. Alternate between those modes and it should help incorporate the change faster.

It seems like when I do this, my range sessions are quicker and more productive. It might look something like this:

• Warmup
  • 10 balls: Freezers at 30-60-90%
  • 5 balls: Iron point game with left pin starting at 150 yards (full pre-shot routine)
  • 5 balls: Iron point game with right pin starting at 165 yards (full pre-shot routine)
  • 10 balls: 90-90 swings working on rotation
  • 5 balls: Iron point game with right pin starting at 200 yards (full pre-shot routine)
  • 5 balls: Freezers with D
  • X balls: Driver point game

During the season, I had weekly practice goals that I wanted to check off my list:

• Landing spots chipping drill
  • 30-70 wedge control drill
  • 80-120 wedge control drill
  • Iron point game (5)
  • Driver point game
  • Play 36 holes
  • Eyeline putting mirror for mechanics
  • Lag putting game (36 holes)

I try to have my tasks planned before I get to the range, so I have a purpose and am not just aimlessly beating balls.

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing

Hey Q, with that basket drill... is the point of it to have it drop straight down by having that external rotation vs sliding your hips which I'm thinking would prevent from dropping straight down? I watched those clips you posted and you do a great job of the external rotation GG always talks about. Im trying to get an idea of what that feels like. Do those freezers help with getting the dramatic feeling down before doing full swings?

Hey Q, with that basket drill... is the point of it to have it drop straight down by having that external rotation vs sliding your hips which I'm thinking would prevent from dropping straight down? I watched those clips you posted and you do a great job of the external rotation GG always talks about. Im trying to get an idea of what that feels like.

Yes, the basket should drop during transition due to both legs going external. If you slide and/or the R leg goes internal too early, the basket won't drop.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Hey Q, with that basket drill... is the point of it to have it drop straight down by having that external rotation vs sliding your hips which I'm thinking would prevent from dropping straight down? I watched those clips you posted and you do a great job of the external rotation GG always talks about. Im trying to get an idea of what that feels like. Do those freezers help with getting the dramatic feeling down before doing full swings?

freezers are a great way of working on transition intents, its very hard to work on transition in a full fluid swing at X speed. various speed freezers allow you to really feel the move in transition

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Is the "Iron Point Game" listed on this thread anywhere? If not can you give a short explanation. Thanks.

Whats the iron game?

Pick a distance to start at, say 150. There are +2 to -2 points available for every ball.

• Distance control. If you are +/- 5 yards of your distance, you get +1 point (zero points if you miss distance). The distance changes with each ball: 150, 130, 140, 135, 145. Great for working on distance control with the same club.
  • Accuracy. Decide if you want to work on left pins or right pins. For this example, we will work on left pins. Segment an imaginary green on the range. There is a heavy emphasis on not short-siding yourself. Since we are working on left pins, we do not want to miss left. Missing the green on the short side (left) is -2. Hitting the correct portion of the green (left) is +1. Hitting the fat side of the green (right) is 0. Missing the green on the other side (right) is -1.

Keep track of your scores. Change the pin location (and point zones change).

I think it is a great way to add some pressure to your practice session, get target-oriented, simulate on-course shots, and work on controlling distance and misses.

Taylormade TP5

I'm reading Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr. Bob Rotella and just ordered a BirdieBall putting green + Pelz Putting Tutor. We're going to make some more putts this year!

Taylormade TP5

Jelly. What's your low tourney so far q?

70 a few times, one in the first round of my Club Championship (won by current SMU golfer) and another in a one-day event I won. 68 is my non-tournament low.

And where's lv2hack...Wasn't he a friend of yours?

I don't think Chase is on WRX much anymore; he's working for MySwing Golf.

Taylormade TP5

Jelly. What's your low tourney so far q?

70 a few times, one in the first round of my Club Championship (won by current SMU golfer) and another in a one-day event I won. 68 is my non-tournament low.

And where's lv2hack...Wasn't he a friend of yours?

I don't think Chase is on WRX much anymore; he's working for MySwing Golf.

I bet you'll beat those lows this yeah with that shaft shallowed out. Have you watched that Scott fawcett stuffing YouTube? Heath showed it to me. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr. Bob Rotella and just ordered a BirdieBall putting green + Pelz Putting Tutor. We're going to make some more putts this year!

Pelz_Putting.jpg

I am really liking the Pelz Putting Tutor. Immediately, it showed me I was pushing most of my putts. I sent Josh (KSGolfCoach) a quick video and he spotted excess head movement. I'd follow the line with my head early, pushing the path out to the right. I've been really concentrating on keeping that head still through and after impact, and I've been starting it on my line much more consistently.

And this new Odyssey putter is pretty slick!

Taylormade TP5

I sent Josh (KSGolfCoach) a quick video and he spotted excess head movement. I'd follow the line with my head early, pushing the path out to the right. I've been really concentrating on keeping that head still through and after impact, and I've been starting it on my line much more consistently.

I fight that same habit.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Pelz_Putting.jpg

I am really liking the Pelz Putting Tutor. Immediately, it showed me I was pushing most of my putts. I sent Josh (KSGolfCoach) a quick video and he spotted excess head movement. I'd follow the line with my head early, pushing the path out to the right. I've been really concentrating on keeping that head still through and after impact, and I've been starting it on my line much more consistently.

signature needs updating!

Wait til you take that thing onto a real green. Holy crap it gets a million times harder than the living room. You see a bunch of those on the practice greens on Tues and Weds at the big boy tourneys too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Wait til you take that thing onto a real green. Holy crap it gets a million times harder than the living room. You see a bunch of those on the practice greens on Tues and Weds at the big boy tourneys too.

I've seen them for years and never gave them second thought, I don't know why. Then this fall, Golf Channel was talking about how Hideki had been using one during his stretch of stellar play.

I've used the Eyeline Mirrors with some success, but the seemed to help my setup and mechanics. This is more about the line.

Taylormade TP5

I've seen them for years and never gave them second thought, I don't know why. Then this fall, Golf Channel was talking about how Hideki had been using one during his stretch of stellar play.

I've used the Eyeline Mirrors with some success, but the seemed to help my setup and mechanics. This is more about the line.

going to see if I can get hold of one over here in the UK, looks great for training start line

going to see if I can get hold of one over here in the UK, looks great for training start line

If you're moderately handy with a band saw and a sander, they're super easy to make by hand.

If you're moderately handy with a band saw and a sander, they're super easy to make by hand.

Go on...

Go on...

I gave the one I made to a friend but this was the general

process:

Get a really thin piece of wood, I used some paneling I had laying around that was about 1/8" thick.

Sketch the overall shape which is kind of an isosceles triangle with rounded corners. It can honestly be whatever shape you want.

Using a band saw or even a jig saw, cut out the rough shape.

Once you've got the rough sawn board, use a sander, can be a belt sander, orbital sander, or even by hand, to smooth the edges and refine the shape. I sanded the front edge, where the ball rolls off on a bit of an angle to bevel it so that the ball rolls off smoother.

Once you've got your finished shape and it's smooth enough to your liking, use a straightedge to draw a line bisecting the middle of the board.

Next, using a drill with a regular wood drill bit, probably a 1/8" bit, drill a hole on the center line at the rear of the board where you'll place the ball. Use that same bit to drill two holes on either end of the center line down at the front where the ball rolls off. I did it with enough space that a ball rolls through with just a touch of room on each side if you put two golf balls or marbles on there as a gate.

When you've done that you can give it a quick coat of polyurethane or varnish to make it pretty and protect it from scratches.

Otherwise, happy putting!

Go on...

I gave the one I made to a friend but this was the general

process:

Get a really thin piece of wood, I used some paneling I had laying around that was about 1/8" thick.

Sketch the overall shape which is kind of an isosceles triangle with rounded corners. It can honestly be whatever shape you want.

Using a band saw or even a jig saw, cut out the rough shape.

Once you've got the rough sawn board, use a sander, can be a belt sander, orbital sander, or even by hand, to smooth the edges and refine the shape. I sanded the front edge, where the ball rolls off on a bit of an angle to bevel it so that the ball rolls off smoother.

Once you've got your finished shape and it's smooth enough to your liking, use a straightedge to draw a line bisecting the middle of the board.

Next, using a drill with a regular wood drill bit, probably a 1/8" bit, drill a hole on the center line at the rear of the board where you'll place the ball. Use that same bit to drill two holes on either end of the center line down at the front where the ball rolls off. I did it with enough space that a ball rolls through with just a touch of room on each side if you put two golf balls or marbles on there as a gate.

When you've done that you can give it a quick coat of polyurethane or varnish to make it pretty and protect it from scratches.

Otherwise, happy putting!

Here is a thread on here about someone building one as well if anyone wants more info:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/448316-homemade-putting-tutor/

Hey Q, I might of asked this already.

Did you gain speed and distance since you started getting crossed up at top? I've been doing it and it feels so good going back and coming down and I'm hitting it further.

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this.

I do feel like I've gained just a little bit of distance, I'd say 2-3 yards carry per club. And that is winter numbers compared to normal summer numbers, so I'd expect a little more. I don't know if that is from more speed or better launch conditions; I feel like the ball is launching a little higher, with a little less spin, and better dispersion.

Taylormade TP5

I've seen it talked about a bit. Just wondering what folks are doing it for, and what kind of swing feels they use. I'm on his membership site as well, if there are any specific videos where he addresses it.

Yeah I'm on there as well. Have never really seen him teach it other than saying he likes it. It feels like reverse left forearm roll to me..or like you're turning a steering wheel to the left on the backswing (right handed golfer).

I think (just guessing) being in that position forces the momentum of the clubhead to fall towards the correct spot on the downswing. Would be interested in hearing Q's thoughts and feels.

I don't know if you're still looking for this Dave, but you can get these over here:

http://www.visioputting.com/mirrored-putting-gate/

Looks like the same principle as the Pelz tutor. I have one of these and really like it. (just bought one of the putting arc mats too)

I don't know if you're still looking for this Dave, but you can get these over here:

http://www.visioputt...d-putting-gate/

Looks like the same principle as the Pelz tutor. I have one of these and really like it. (just bought one of the putting arc mats too)

couldn't find a pelz tutor over here but that does look good! I have got a plastic mirror at home I'm tempted to try and make my own. that does look good though, nice and compact too so easy to fit in the bag. thanks for posting that.