Unique golf phrases/words that you use...

Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
A thread here using the terms Percy and Lammy for Persimmon and Laminated woods got me thinking of terms my friends and I have used over the years.

My favorite is the "Maltbie". My friends and I adopted this in honor of Roger Maltibe and his win in the 1976 memorial. It was any bad shot/swing that ended up in great shape. It comes from his shot on 17 that bounced off the metal gallery stake well left of the green and ended up on the green about 20 feet from the hole. It then morphed into sort of an insult when ever somebody did hit a good shot, implying that it was just luck....

The shot in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPl4CKwRYEA

Another came from a local guy in our hometown. My buddy and I were playing with him one day, and he had a straight in 2-3 footer for par. He misses it about a cup to the right and yells out, "**** it, I thought I was going to pull that one!!". We had to turn our backs and try hard not to crack up. This then turned into the snide comment we would use with each other when ever we missed a putt to the right, "I guess you thought you were going to pull that one"....

Any similar turns of phrases that that our fellow GolfWRXers have come up with??
WITB
2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
Odyssey O'Works 2 ball, or Cleveland BRZ 2 or Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
Srixon Z Star or XV

Comments

• Duffner's WaggleDuffner's Waggle 2 off the 1st if ya need it... Members Posts: 4,517 ✭✭
    "MULCHIE"

My buddies and I were playin in Myrtle Last year and we were at Tidewater on the signature par 3 12th, nicknamed 'The Wishing Well'

I stuck one pretty close, and my player partner who loves to run his mouth, finally shuts up. He steps up and pulls one long and into the bushes at the left of the green, and the ball settles a couple feet behind a small bush in the mulch.

We were playing birdies, sandies and greenies & skins that day for some small $.......he gets to his ball, basically chunks it out of the mulch, it hits the top of the little bush and kicks over towards the hole for a tap-in par. The first ever 'Mulchie.'

Not only did I not win the skin for that hole, my greenie was canceled out by his freaking mulchie!!

He's not affectionately called 'McMulchie' by myself and the other guy on the trip.
    // Ping G400 10* | Ping Tour 75X //

// Ping G400 5W 16.5* | NVentix Nunchuk //

// Mizuno MP-H5 2i | Project X 6.5 //

// Taylormade 2016 M1 21* | NVentix Nunchuk //

// Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW | Project X 6.5 //

// Mizuno MP T4 50*/54*/58* //

// Odyssey Works V-Line //
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mulchie", that's a good one.

When my buddy and I were playing down south with a guy I got to know from Georgia, we were using the "Maltbie" phrase. on just about every other shot, really going at each other...

This guy we were playing with was pretty laid back and quiet, and at first doesn't say anything. Then on the back nine says in the thickest southern accent I have just about heard "What the **** is a Maltbie?"
    WITB
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My hometown buddies and I play double points for "Barkies" when we get together, in addition to stuff like birdies, sandies and greenies. A Barkie is par or better on a hole in which you hit a tree.
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429 ✭✭
    bazinky wrote:

My hometown buddies and I play double points for "Barkies" when we get together, in addition to stuff like birdies, sandies and greenies. A Barkie is par or better on a hole in which you hit a tree.

Love that one, I have heard of Barkies but I can't say I have ever played them for money.
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • Duffner's WaggleDuffner's Waggle 2 off the 1st if ya need it... Members Posts: 4,517 ✭✭

When I play with my buddies in a scramble or 4 ball and someone hits it close, we encourage the next player to hit a "Liberace". That's when you put it inside your partner.

DEAD!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

• FiveOffTheTeeFiveOffTheTee Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I play with my buddies in a scramble or 4 ball and someone hits it close, we encourage the next player to hit a "Liberace". That's when you put it inside your partner.

I just laughed out loud in a Taco Bell
    TM M3 9.5* Black Mamba 70TX
    TM M2 Tour 16.5 Black Mamba 80TX
    TM M2 Hybrid 19* AD-DI 85X
    TM PSI Tour 4-9 C-taper 130
    TM MG SB 48* C-taper 130
    TM MG SB 52 C-taper 130
    TM MG LB 58 C-taper 125
    TM Hi-Toe 64 C-taper 125
    Scotty Newport 2
    edited Sep 4, 2014 #9

I just laughed out loud in a Taco Bell

Co-worker asked what was so funny I laughed so loud (He's 2 doors down the hallway)

• ReasonabilityReasonability Mirror work is a good idea. Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2014 #10
    Your post put a grin on my face Mike.

These have popped up from time to time. Caution -- they had better be GOOD pals before trying them out - LOL.

1) Shot into the trees (especially when a guy gets in there and seems to hack in there for a few strokes) -- On the next tee box you say, "Is it arbor day?"

2) When a partner floats a stinker off the tee on a par 3 say, "Good thing we're here and not on the 17th in Scottsdale."

3) When the guy in your group walks around with extra golf balls in his front pockets, ask him, "Are those Pro-V's or are you just happy to see me?"
    A cynic sees the cost of everything
    and the value of nothing.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sponduliks"

"That shot had some sponduliks on it."

???...
    Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

Nothing will ever beat Liberace

• FiveOffTheTeeFiveOffTheTee Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duffner wrote:

Yup, lock it up. In related news, I stole the phrase and will be surprised if I don't use it at least 10 times my next time out. I'm still laughing...
    TM M3 9.5* Black Mamba 70TX
    TM M2 Tour 16.5 Black Mamba 80TX
    TM M2 Hybrid 19* AD-DI 85X
    TM PSI Tour 4-9 C-taper 130
    TM MG SB 48* C-taper 130
    TM MG SB 52 C-taper 130
    TM MG LB 58 C-taper 125
    TM Hi-Toe 64 C-taper 125
    Scotty Newport 2
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,052 ClubWRX

Duffner wrote:

Yup, lock it up. In related news, I stole the phrase and will be surprised if I don't use it at least 10 times my next time out. I'm still laughing...

I was going to share a couple. Don't think I will now. Haha! Stuff you read on WRX!!
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Duffner wrote:

Yup, that one is a classic....
    WITB
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • knock it closeknock it close Members Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Played with a couple guys I'm decent friends with about a month ago and whenever you hit one mediocre but it still ended up decently and "In Play" they called it a Jimmie Roberts. Thought it was pretty clever. Not as good as the Liberace though
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
  • jrich61820jrich61820 The putter wisper(er) Members Posts: 1,821 ✭✭
    bazinky wrote:

I play these with my buddies, we call them "woodies". Trying my best to work in a "woodie" joke with that "Liberace" quote, but am afraid it would be to off color:)

We have this one guy in our group that is the funniest guy, always talking crap. The other day he's putting and rams his ball way by the hole and is still out, as he's walking to his his ball he says "FISO". I look at him as say "FISO?", he says "yeah, F$:@ I'm Still Out!"

Same guy, I hit a wedge that sails the green and looks at me and says " that shot was all LOFT" I say "what?". He says "Lack Of F:$@ing Talent"

Like I said, he talks....a lot!!
    Titleist 915D2 PX Hzrdous Yellow 63G Stiff
    Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
    Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    712 CB/MB PX 6.0 (4-PW)
    Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
    Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Duff and others - Liberace is the winner.

Will still add a couple of things my pards and I say:

"Man, you should be working at the Mustang (Ranch)." - the player has been hooking the ball over and over

"Millerizing" - one of players in group is constantly making comments after everyone else's shots

As I said, not nearly as good as Liberace. But worthy of a chuckle maybe.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    An "Ollie", aka JMO, a putt that appears straight...but isn't.
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661 
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "Supermodel" A putt that is blown way by the hole because it went off in your hands.
  • knockdstiffknockdstiff Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2014 #21
    My friends and I have something like the 'Liberace' except you just urge the other player to 'stick it inside me' after you've hit a shot in close to the pin.

Successfully doing so is known as 'the double stuff'.

We did, on one rare occassion, execute the 'quadruple stuff', with the first player hitting it around 10 feet and the other 3 shots getting sequentially closer to the hole.

I'm just warped, I guess.

In the spirit of the sandy and the mulchie, we also have the 'barky'. Pretty self explanatory.
  • PigemsPigems Members Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I played with a Gentlemen one day who called his Bogeys "Personal Pars", I always kind of liked that one image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
    910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
    910h 20* Hybrid - S400
    712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
    SM5 51*, 55*- S300
    TVD 59* M - S300
    Studio Select NP2
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,356 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Gordie.

Eesh, tough hole, you take an eight?

Nope. Got a Gordie.
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,199 ClubWRX
    For when you get a few in a row, "another bucking fogie" can be used without technically cussing.
    Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    6 (on a par 4) is a Michael Duble.

7 is a Gretzky.

8 is a snowman.

9 is a "shop teacher" with one finger bent down as if it has been cut off.

10 is a moose.

11 is a "spike" for the non-hunters it is a deer with one spike.
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,356 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh? Shouldn't 7 be a Coffey? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • srixon-dogsrixon-dog Members Posts: 38
    jrich61820 wrote:

bazinky wrote:

I play these with my buddies, we call them "woodies". Trying my best to work in a "woodie" joke with that "Liberace" quote, but am afraid it would be to off color:)

We have this one guy in our group that is the funniest guy, always talking crap. The other day he's putting and rams his ball way by the hole and is still out, as he's walking to his his ball he says "FISO". I look at him as say "FISO?", he says "yeah, F$:@ I'm Still Out!"

Same guy, I hit a wedge that sails the green and looks at me and says " that shot was all LOFT" I say "what?". He says "Lack Of F:$@ing Talent"

Like I said, he talks....a lot!!

Ive heard the "FISO" one a few times at my home course, usually from the same guy.lol

If someone hits a putt long or too firm my brother likes to say "Hit a fat chick"
  • hh2ndhh2nd Members Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    We play "honkies." If someone honks their horn while driving by the course, the bet automatically doubles. I usually request a three honky max.
    Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*
    Mizuno JPX 850 17*
    Mizuno CLK Fli Hi 20*
    Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 52*/Titleist Vokey SM5 56* and 60*
    Piretti Potenza II
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    "boogaloo"- Meaning spin. "did you see the boogaloo i put on that ball?!"

"Get naked"- meaning go in or get close

"dirty bird"- birdie'ing the first hole which then almost always means that will be your only birdie of the day
    Titleist TS3 8.5* ...........................................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15*......................Tensei Pro White 70TX 42.75" D4
    Taylormade TP UDI 18*.............................HandCrafted Hzrdus Black 105X 39.75" D4
    Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23*....Aldila Proto By You 80X D3
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-Gw .........................PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D2-D5 off 46* Pw
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.06 .........................................DG TI S400 35.5" D6
    Tour Only Odyssey Jailbird Mini Versa | BWB | plumbers neck | WHP insert | Tour SNSR Contour Pro
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hear that at exclusive clubs in the UK, this is referred to as a "Sir Elton John."
    M5 9.0°, 757 
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Piretti Potenza
    Tour BX

• pgagolfstuffpgagolfstuff Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    Here are a few I have heard and used..

When you back it up off the green you " Tore the ears off of it."

When you leave the ball just short of the hole on a putt thats a Castro cause u only need a couple more revolutions

If you pick up on a hole its LOIBIP ( loss of interest ball in pocket)

And my 85 year old grandmother used FUBAR when she played her ladies day events and didnt have a favorable lie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file