ben hogan ft worth black irons

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    golfnhack wrote:

Nice looking... I hope you are a great ball striker. The Ft Worth irons are the lowest scoring irons ever on the MPF (Maltby Playability Factor) with a score of 90!!!! To put in perspective, typical blade MPF is somewhere between 350 and 450 and GI irons are 650+.

This is one of the strangest most nonsensical things I’ve ever seen. I’ve hit all sorts of blades and virtually every modern “players game improvement” iron available for the last 4 years since I got back into Golf again after a break.

I will swear to Everyone on this board, that they are NOT a difficult unforgiving club. They are perhaps the most forgiving, easiest to to hit, friendliest “blade” style club that I’ve ever hit. That depression cavity isn’t just for styling purposes. It really works. As I said before, there is some significant perimeter weighting going on in them. They aren’t tiny heads. There is a touch of offset. They really should be tried before anyone thinks that Maltby rating has any basis in reality.

Seriously. Spend $20 and try two demo clubs at your favorite range for two weeks. Even take them out on the course and compare them with your existing irons.

I know I’m starting to sound like a spokesman or something for Hogan. I’m not. Just a big fan. They really are a great club at a great value. I seriously wonder why they aren’t more popular on a site like this. I know they really need more shaft options, but the heads are first rate and if you can reshaft yourself they are still a great deal.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 976 ✭✭

golfnhack wrote:

Nice looking... I hope you are a great ball striker. The Ft Worth irons are the lowest scoring irons ever on the MPF (Maltby Playability Factor) with a score of 90!!!! To put in perspective, typical blade MPF is somewhere between 350 and 450 and GI irons are 650+.

This is one of the strangest most nonsensical things I’ve ever seen. I’ve hit all sorts of blades and virtually every modern “players game improvement” iron available for the last 4 years since I got back into Golf again after a break.

I will swear to Everyone on this board, that they are NOT a difficult unforgiving club. They are perhaps the most forgiving, easiest to to hit, friendliest “blade” style club that I’ve ever hit. That depression cavity isn’t just for styling purposes. It really works. As I said before, there is some significant perimeter weighting going on in them. They aren’t tiny heads. There is a touch of offset. They really should be tried before anyone thinks that Maltby rating has any basis in reality.

Seriously. Spend $20 and try two demo clubs at your favorite range for two weeks. Even take them out on the course and compare them with your existing irons.

I know I’m starting to sound like a spokesman or something for Hogan. I’m not. Just a big fan. They really are a great club at a great value. I seriously wonder why they aren’t more popular on a site like this. I know they really need more shaft options, but the heads are first rate and if you can reshaft yourself they are still a great deal.

Depends on the player/person. I've hit the FTW15 and even gamed the PTx for a while. Neither felt good to me. Have Bridgestone CBs in the bag now and the feel is 10x better.
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,569 ✭✭
    Waiting for stiff recoil FT worths to be in stock to demo. If I can swing those, then the blacks in recoil F4 will be had.
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X (swap with 2 iron)
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• PopIt&DropItPopIt&DropIt Members Posts: 243 ✭✭

golfnhack wrote:

Couldn't agree more. They are without question the most forgiving blades on the market, to the point I actually think of them as more of a players cavity iron. I never put much stock into the MPF but after learning these very forgiving blades were at the bottom of the list I stopped paying attention entirely. Not everyone needs help getting the ball airborne!
  • HakkoHakko Members Posts: 894 ✭✭
    Anyone know if BHG plans to put these into their demo program any time soon?
    Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
    Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
    Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
    Seemore Z2, 36"
    Ben Hogan 51º
    Anthem 56°
    Miura 59°
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    Hakko wrote:

Anyone know if BHG plans to put these into their demo program any time soon?

on instagram they said “in a few weeks”. That was a couple days ago.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,596 ✭✭
    $700 for beautiful high quality forged irons like these is a STEAL.

Mizzy MP-18,TM 730, and 718s would be over $1000.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
    Just hit MP-18 4 iton to test my blade ability- pleasantly surprised. Best hits were dead straight carry 210 and went 225 off the mat. I think I might just pull the trigger without waiting for the demo program.
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭
    Are the Recoils they come with taper?

Also is it possible to order them softstepped?
  • mah2010mah2010 Grande Prairie ABMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    Is there an option for different shafts even if it means an up charge?
    mah2010 wrote:

So far no. Just what’s listed on their website order page. It’s a terrible mistake that’s costing them a lot of sales.

Email them and b**** about it. I’ve Instagramed them and emailed their custom service multiple times about it.

I happen to love my Tour V 120x, but there really should be more choices. Absolutely At least the full range or KBS and UST recoils.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • JbarJbar Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Perfect combo with my black VR wedges and Ft. Worth Black irons until the Equalizer available for demo or black version image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• mah2010mah2010 Grande Prairie ABMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

mah2010 wrote:

So far no. Just what’s listed on their website order page. It’s a terrible mistake that’s costing them a lot of sales.

Email them and b**** about it. I’ve Instagramed them and emailed their custom service multiple times about it.

I happen to love my Tour V 120x, but there really should be more choices. Absolutely At least the full range or KBS and UST recoils.

That is too bad, hopefully they change that in the near future.
    Jbar wrote:

Perfect combo with my black VR wedges and Ft. Worth Black irons until the Equalizer available for demo or black version image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The original Black Nike VR Red wedges? ??!

If so, those were the highest spinning wedge EVER created. Even slightly higher then the original X-Forged MD wedges (Which I still have in the bag in the Tour Finish).

*I still have a mint condition VR Red 60* as which I take out every so often....BEAST of a wedge.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    The original Black Nike VR Red wedges? ??!

If so, those were the highest spinning wedge EVER created. Even slightly higher then the original X-Forged MD wedges (Which I still have in the bag in the Tour Finish).

*I still have a mint condition VR Red 60* as which I take out every so often....BEAST of a wedge.

Yes, took them out of my backup bag after a long break using diff clubs in lighter weights. Now back to heavier shafts to improve distance control. I'm good with accuracy but inconsistency with tempo until a good demo experience of PTx irons. I'm going for Ft. Worth Black but disappointed with limited shaft options.

Btw, I'm using PM 64 MD3 along with 52/58 VR Black in my bag image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • JDollplaysgolfJDollplaysgolf Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    These irons are some of the best I've ever hit, right now I have iBlades that I bought off of a guy here in the BST forum and now I may have to snag a set with the black finish and the price... Any suggestions on what to do?
    G400 LST 8* PX Hzrdus Black 62 6.5
    F6 13.5* Aldila Tour Green 75 TX
    P790 Udi Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
    iBlade 4-P DG X100 TI
    MD Forged Chrome 50* 54* 58* DG S200 TI
    Yes! Abbie Pro Black
    TP5X or ProV1x
  • KCCOKCCO Members Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    Had a regular set at shop, not only play well....but thought having loft on sole was a nice aesthetic touch...not that it’s a big concern, do they hold their value? Or should maybe say desirable/hard to find in used market? Also does company have any type of product cycle? Or just whenever they drop something, that’s it. No schedule. As I remember these in chrome maybe 3 seasons ago unless they have been changed a little. Thanks for any info
    Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
    Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
    Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
    Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
    PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
    009 ProV1

• mizunoMP14mizunoMP14 IndianaMembers Posts: 627 ✭✭
    So there are no other shaft options? All I want is dynamic golds
    M4 10.5* Aldila Copperhead 70tx
    M4 3HL 16.5* Diamana W series 70x
    TM UDI 2i Mitsubishi OT 105x
    4-pw 716 t-mb Dynamic Gold
    50* 56* 60* Vokey SM6 Dynamic Gold
    SeeMore FGP Deep Flange

These irons are some of the best I've ever hit, right now I have iBlades that I bought off of a guy here in the BST forum and now I may have to snag a set with the black finish and the price... Any suggestions on what to do?

Sure...Buy them, take glory pics, post them here, and sell the Iblades.

Any questions...
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,196 ClubWRX
    What I want to know is whether we have a candidate to compare Ft Worth Blacks to the previous generation in regards to forgiveness. Are they in fact a tad more playable?

Loved the look when they first came out did the two-club demo. They are just SO compact. I had a hard time imagining I would be confident beyond a wedge and 9 iron. The original TK wedges, to me, are excellent. Hit any shot around the green or from any lie.

Not sure about the Equalizer yet but like how it looks.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    KCCO wrote:

Had a regular set at shop, not only play well....but thought having loft on sole was a nice aesthetic touch...not that it’s a big concern, do they hold their value? Or should maybe say desirable/hard to find in used market? Also does company have any type of product cycle? Or just whenever they drop something, that’s it. No schedule. As I remember these in chrome maybe 3 seasons ago unless they have been changed a little. Thanks for any info

They dont seem to be on any kind of consistent release cycle but that is largely due to going bankrupt and starting over last year with this dealer direct version of the company. I wouldn't expect a yearly cycle but I'm guessing we will see 2 years or something somewhat consistent in that range when they settle into things.

You don't seem to find many on the used market so hard to say about resale value. They are a smaller company so less people have them and if they love them even half as much as I love mine most people wouldn't be interested in selling them. I saw a used set in what I could call 7/10 condition go for $450 in a local golf store which I thought was really good for a $665 set but I doubt that is the norm.
    dmeeksDC wrote:

What I want to know is whether we have a candidate to compare Ft Worth Blacks to the previous generation in regards to forgiveness. Are they in fact a tad more playable?

Loved the look when they first came out did the two-club demo. They are just SO compact. I had a hard time imagining I would be confident beyond a wedge and 9 iron. The original TK wedges, to me, are excellent. Hit any shot around the green or from any lie.

Not sure about the Equalizer yet but like how it looks.

I will have a set in my hands tomorrow and intend to compare the best I can. With that said I may not be able to help you as I consider the ft worth 15s to be the most forgiving blade style iron on the market. I'm personally not expecting a lot of difference with the minimal vsole change and the slight weighting change to offer a more penetrating flight. I'm guessing they will play very similar other than looking quite different visually. If I find them more forgiving I will make sure to post it here and let you know.

I will have a set in my hands tomorrow and intend to compare the best I can. With that said I may not be able to help you as I consider the ft worth 15s to be the most forgiving blade style iron on the market. I'm personally not expecting a lot of difference with the minimal vsole change and the slight weighting change to offer a more penetrating flight. I'm guessing they will play very similar other than looking quite different visually. If I find them more forgiving I will make sure to post it here and let you know.

How long ago did you order the Black set?

Jbar wrote:

I don't work for them nor am I staffed by them but I did win a couple small mini tour events shortly after putting the Ft Worth 15s in play which are their only pro wins to date as far as I know. I've needed a couple above and beyond customer service things from them and they have always been very accommodating and worked hard to get me what I needed so I have a solid relationship with them. I had already had my whole bag set in place (I dont like changing at all, let alone mid season) ready to go for the start of my tournament season coming up soon when they released the Ft Worth Black teasers. I really wanted to test them out before my first event and they really moved things around to help me get them ASAP. So mine are actually the first set ever built which is why I'm getting them so early. If you ordered them yours should only be a week or two behind according to what I was told. I just couldn't wait that week or two. Their customer service is truly top notch!

FIRST SET ever built?....🤔
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    jonn443 wrote:

Jbar wrote:

I don't work for them nor am I staffed by them but I did win a couple small mini tour events shortly after putting the Ft Worth 15s in play which are their only pro wins to date as far as I know. I've needed a couple above and beyond customer service things from them and they have always been very accommodating and worked hard to get me what I needed so I have a solid relationship with them. I had already had my whole bag set in place (I dont like changing at all, let alone mid season) ready to go for the start of my tournament season coming up soon when they released the Ft Worth Black teasers. I really wanted to test them out before my first event and they really moved things around to help me get them ASAP. So mine are actually the first set ever built which is why I'm getting them so early. If you ordered them yours should only be a week or two behind according to what I was told. I just couldn't wait that week or two. Their customer service is truly top notch!

FIRST SET ever built?....🤔

Haha if you are questioning my saying that you are questioning them saying it. I was told by them directly it is the first set and mine is being built ahead of the set for their lead builder who usually gets the first set. I have absolutely no issues with you not believing it nor do I care if it is in fact the first set. Just relaying what I was told and expressing appreciation for their jumping through some hoops to make that happen for me. They really did not have to do it at all but they understood my time sensitive situation, showed some compassion,and went above and beyond to make it happen. That's not something I will forget!
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,588 ✭✭

jonn443 wrote:

Jbar wrote:

FIRST SET ever built?....��

Haha if you are questioning my saying that you are questioning them saying it. I was told by them directly it is the first set and mine is being built ahead of the set for their lead builder who usually gets the first set. I have absolutely no issues with you not believing it nor do I care if it is in fact the first set. Just relaying what I was told and expressing appreciation for their jumping through some hoops to make that happen for me. They really did not have to do it at all but they understood my time sensitive situation, showed some compassion,and went above and beyond to make it happen. That's not something I will forget!

The doubters, and haters show up in force at times. like you said, if it was the first set or not really doesnt matter sounds like great customer service to me.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • knockdownnineknockdownnine Banned Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Is the black available in the Ft worth Hi as well?
    No. Just the ft worth as of now
    Nike Origin B1-01
    Nike RZN Tour Platinum

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,588 ✭✭

Is the black available in the Ft worth Hi as well?

not yet, that would be awesome though.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • Sactogolfer1234Sactogolfer1234 Members Posts: 179
    Ive always liked the look of the Ft. Worth iron and the black version looks even better. I will definitely shell out the $20 to demo to see if my ballstriking skills can handle a blade.