Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

Comments

• SCOTT4099SCOTT4099  1018Members Posts: 1,018
    nDroid3 wrote:

Anyone else see these in person? For a product to be out for the public to purchase, I haven’t found any local shops carrying them yet, not even for demo purposes.

I bought one of the two sets my local shop had, without even hitting them. (In true wrx fasion). They look that good. I got 5-pw,gw, modus tour 105.

I just hit the 8 iron at the range off the mat (about 50 balls) as I was short on time. It feels really solid and not clicky like a lot of cast clubs. Good high penetrating flight, not sure on the distance yet. The sun was already down and my depth perception stinks after dark these days.

I will report more when I can get back out there...
    Posted:
    Callaway epic 9.0
    Cobra bio cell 3/4
    Ping G 19 degree hybrid
    Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
    Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
    Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dhen9dhen9  692Members Posts: 692
    SCOTT4099 wrote:

nDroid3 wrote:

Anyone else see these in person? For a product to be out for the public to purchase, I haven’t found any local shops carrying them yet, not even for demo purposes.

I bought one of the two sets my local shop had, without even hitting them. (In true wrx fasion). They look that good. I got 5-pw,gw, modus tour 105.

I just hit the 8 iron at the range off the mat (about 50 balls) as I was short on time. It feels really solid and not clicky like a lot of cast clubs. Good high penetrating flight, not sure on the distance yet. The sun was already down and my depth perception stinks after dark these days.

Gap wedge???? Is it a HM or HM Pro?
    Posted:
  • SCOTT4099SCOTT4099  1018Members Posts: 1,018
    dhen9 wrote:

SCOTT4099 wrote:

nDroid3 wrote:

Gap wedge???? Is it a HM or HM Pro?

The gap wedge has a G in white and the head just says jpx919, no hot metal, forged, or tour wording on it. I think it is the same gap wedge as the standard hot metal set....
    Posted:
    Callaway epic 9.0
    Cobra bio cell 3/4
    Ping G 19 degree hybrid
    Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
    Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
    Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight Iowa 3648Members Posts: 3,648
    It is the standard hot metal gap.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• joshellajoshella Mizuno employee expressing my own views.  17Members Posts: 17
    They're the same wedges that came out alongside the original JPX919 Hot Metal - but were always intended to go with both models.
    Posted:
  • nDroid3nDroid3 USA 106Members Posts: 106
    I ended up with a 5-PW and picked up a 52 and 58 wedge set, foregoing the 919 Gap wedge.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Homerun2BirdieHomerun2Birdie  853Members Posts: 853
    I'm really surprised I haven't seen more on these clubs yet. They seem like they'd fit the bill for 75% of the amateur golfer spectrum. From the wee bit that I've been able to find it sounds like they actually have a little less offset that the Forged. Curious if anyone has been able to see the two heads side by side at address. The forged are pretty stinking long as well, so wondering what these offer different?
    Posted:
    - TM

DRIVER: Callaway Rogue SZ 9°– Fujikura ATMOS Black 8x
    3 WOOD: TEE EX9 Tour 13° – Fujikura ATMOS Red 8X
    5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 16° – Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
    3 HYBRID: Cobra KING F7 19° – Aldila Tour Green 105 X-Stiff
    IRONS (4-P): Callaway Apex Pro '19 – KBS $-Taper 130 X-Stiff
    WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° – N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
    PUTTER: Evnroll ER2
  • awtryau89awtryau89  1265Members Posts: 1,265
    Hit these this afternoon at the PGA SS. I had my 919 Forged for comparison. IMO, the Pro is a better looking club all around. Toplines are about the same but the minimized offset makes this club just look more compact. Was seeing 2-3 more MPH in ball speed and carrying it 7-8 yards further. All testing done with same shaft and 7 irons. Feel was what surprised me. It definitely did not feel as nice as my Forged but it was darn close. I haven't hit the 919 HM so they may have improved those as well. It is an intriguing package for sure. I looked at every iron at address and the longer irons did not bother me at all. You can see the back but not in a real offensive way like some others I have seen. If I did not already have the Forged, these would be in the bag.
    Posted:
  • PINSEEKER72PINSEEKER72  597Members Posts: 597
    awtryau89 wrote:

Hit these this afternoon at the PGA SS. I had my 919 Forged for comparison. IMO, the Pro is a better looking club all around. Toplines are about the same but the minimized offset makes this club just look more compact. Was seeing 2-3 more MPH in ball speed and carrying it 7-8 yards further. All testing done with same shaft and 7 irons. Feel was what surprised me. It definitely did not feel as nice as my Forged but it was darn close. I haven't hit the 919 HM so they may have improved those as well. It is an intriguing package for sure. I looked at every iron at address and the longer irons did not bother me at all. You can see the back but not in a real offensive way like some others I have seen. If I did not already have the Forged, these would be in the bag.

How was the spin compared to the Forged?
    Posted:
  • awtryau89awtryau89  1265Members Posts: 1,265

awtryau89 wrote:

How was the spin compared to the Forged?

Should have looked at that but didn't. Was using their GC2 monitor so not in their best bay. Mainly looked at ball speed and distance since I knew I wasn't going to purchase them anyway.
    Posted:
  • gridironesqgridironesq Roseville, CA 542Members Posts: 542
    Ordered HM pro set today but went with 919 forged for the gap wedge. The waiting begins.
    Posted:
    Current Gamers
    EPIC FLASH 10.5*, WHITE TIE 55X4 STIFF
    TEE XCG5 3+, 4, 7 WOODS
    CALLAWAY X HOT 25* & 28* HYBRIDS
    MIZUNO HM PRO 7-PW, 919F GW
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    TOULON PORTLAND H3
    TM PROJECT (a)

Advertisement
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2800Members Posts: 2,800
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
    noodle3872 wrote:

This article is wrong on reduction of offset. Starting in the 7 iron offset was reduced by 25%.
    Posted:
    Current Gamers
    TEE XCG5 3+, 4, 7 WOODS
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    TOULON PORTLAND H3
    TM PROJECT (a)
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy Mass 1077Members Posts: 1,077

noodle3872 wrote:

This article is wrong on reduction of offset. Starting in the 7 iron offset was reduced by 25%.
    How you liking those Pro Metals so far?
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2
    cbbaron wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

How you liking those Pro Metals so far?

I just ordered them today. They look awesome and longer than the forged on similar strikes by 3mph in ball speed on trackman.
    Posted:
    Current Gamers
    TEE XCG5 3+, 4, 7 WOODS
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    TOULON PORTLAND H3
    TM PROJECT (a)
  • jcorna01jcorna01  660Members Posts: 660
    Might be old news for everyone but me, but I asked about plans for a HM Pro GW different than the currently available HM gap and there isn’t per Vosh on Twitter.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Homerun2BirdieHomerun2Birdie  853Members Posts: 853
    I've got my first ever fitting set up for next Sat at True Spec in Pinehurst. Looking forward to the entire experience, and will definitely make a point to put the HMPs into the mix during the iron portion of the testing. Everything about these irons has my attention, so hoping they preform as such.
    Posted:
    - TM

DRIVER: Callaway Rogue SZ 9°– Fujikura ATMOS Black 8x
    3 WOOD: TEE EX9 Tour 13° – Fujikura ATMOS Red 8X
    5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 16° – Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
    3 HYBRID: Cobra KING F7 19° – Aldila Tour Green 105 X-Stiff
    IRONS (4-P): Callaway Apex Pro '19 – KBS $-Taper 130 X-Stiff
    WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° – N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
    PUTTER: Evnroll ER2
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy Mass 1077Members Posts: 1,077
    Ordred mine with Nippon Modus today
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2
  • DNice26DNice26  4158Members Posts: 4,158
    I checked these out today and they really look great. Thinking maybe a combo set of 4-7 the the 919 tours for 8-PW. Not sure though, as the whole set really looks good.
    Posted:

TaylorMade M6 10.5, Graphite Design 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Issue 18, Aldila Tour Blue 7X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8TX
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

Excited to get these out on the course!

Posted:
  • mjf34gmjf34g  693Members Posts: 693
    Ordered mine Thursday. Six thru GW with Recoil 95's.
    Posted:
    Callaway 9* Epic
    Callaway 15* Epic Fwy
    Callaway Heavenwood
    Ping G 19* Hybrid
    Taylormade M4 irons 5 thru GW
    Vokey SM6 54*/10* S Grind
    Vokey SM6 58*/12* K Grind
    T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
    T.P Mills Klassic

Advertisement
  • teamacaciateamacacia  527ClubWRX Posts: 527
    I hit the HM Pros yesterday at my local shop, indoors on GCquad, with the clear plastic still on the heads. Right off the rack with the LZ 5.5 shafts in them. I hit these agains one of the fitters personal i500’s with the 6.0 heads in them. To be honest, I was nearly dead set on the AP3’s going in as I have been eye-balling them for the past year. I randomly saw an IG post from Mizuno Golf so I asked about them when I went in. I’m a tempo swinger and haven’t hit anything outside of a wedge in 6 months, but I nearly always break 80 from the men’s tees so I would say I’m fairly consistent. Given I now have two kids (youngest one a month old), I am looking for max forgiveness and help with as little offset as possible. I hit the 4i and 9i for about 20 min total. They were fantastic, plain and simple. I was all over the center of the club face and had very consistent results despite the golf shaft being a touch too weak. Typical Mizuno butter. I WILL be buying a set here very soon. As for the comparison to the i500’s, the i500’s were clicky and harsh sounding and feeling. I swear I missed one way out on the toe only to see the ball mark in the center. Not the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Final Impressions:

1. Offset is completely palatable, even in the long irons for a guy who cannot get used to it.

2. Feel is standard Mizzy butter

3. Long, high, and yet appropriate spin. 4i was right above 4000 rpm with the std shaft

4. Forgiveness was good on the couple off hits
    Posted:
    -Doc Todd

Wishon 919 9* Kuro Kage 70gm stiff
    R11 15.5 3w stock stiff
    R11 19 3h stock stiff
    Mizuno MP 53 4-P S300
    Scor 50/54/58
    Old school Ping Anser with loads of lead tape
  • KParksKParks  83Members Posts: 83
    Got a chance to hit these yesterday as well and was a big fan. Certainly will be one of the favorites going into the fitting I've got planned for the next week or two. Main competition likely the z585 of the other things I've tried but I was probably hitting the HM Pro just a smidge longer on the 7 irons I was trying and the feel was pretty good on both of them (even though the z585 are forged and these obviously aren't), but that may have been the shaft / grip combos (love that the Mizzy demos are all MCC Plus4).
    Posted:
    Hit these again today at a demo day and I think they are the favorites heading into my iron fitting. I hit one so far off the toe you could see most of the dimples from impact off the grooves and it still flew. Z585 are one of the other irons im really considering and the Mizuno, despite being cast, felt much better than the forged z585.
    Posted:
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru  2098ClubWRX Posts: 2,098
    Any comparisons to p790? I ordered some hm pros also but I’m assuming very similar but perhaps more forgiveness.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Driver
    TaylorMade M4 HL Fwy
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 Hyb
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-pw Irons
    Mizuno T20 50 54 58 Wedges
    Mannkrafted Putters
    Bridgestone ball, Mizuno / Sun Mntn Bag
  • dalillama47dalillama47  1266Members Posts: 1,266
    jcorna01 wrote:

Hit these again today at a demo day and I think they are the favorites heading into my iron fitting. I hit one so far off the toe you could see most of the dimples from impact off the grooves and it still flew. Z585 are one of the other irons im really considering and the Mizuno, despite being cast, felt much better than the forged z585.

The Z585's aren't technically a forged club. The body is forged but the face is a sup 10 steel. The z785 is a one pice forging.
    Posted:
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    PXG Gen 2 Bat Attack 
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

Advertisement
    Any comparisons to p790? I ordered some hm pros also but I’m assuming very similar but perhaps more forgiveness.

Pros are slightly larger, flys higher, and produces more spin. You can’t go wrong with either one.
    Posted:
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Midwest 854Members Posts: 854
    mjf34g wrote:

Ordered mine Thursday. Six thru GW with Recoil 95's.

That is the set up I want, but with the 110's. Can we be friends so I can play with your toys :-)

Please let us know how they work for you. Sounds sweet!!
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 driver with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff 
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    Taylormade Spider X

First single OEM I have played and love it
  • dannykosdannykos  243Members Posts: 243
    Anyone who’s hit both the standard and pro HM comment on any noticeable differences in dispersion? Presume and difference is nothing other than the sweet spot in the pro being slightly smaller than in the standard?l

Still can’t believe I haven’t seen a direct head to head review anywhere?
    Posted:

Advertisement
    I hit both side by side and didn't notice much of a difference in forgiveness, BUT I was not on a launch monitor and hitting off mats. Add to the equation that I really, really like the Pros so some bias may be in play as well. I hit the 5/7/PW of the HM, HM Pro, and forged.

I am surprised by the lack of reviews out there. Only 1 or 2 that I have seen so far.

edit: i'm a 9 handicap but tend to use a lot of the club face image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file