We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Are you kidding me!! How come few instructors talk about this!!!!

1356789
9

Comments

  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CA 5890Members Posts: 5,890
    Joined:  #62
    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.




    What’s your point?
    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    Joined:  #63
    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.




    I help people make it happen on a daily basis. And that 2” is drastically different than what most amateurs do and it makes a big difference.
    Posted:
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern California 18604Members Posts: 18,604
    Joined:  #64
    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.




    Difference between a flushed shot and a shank 2”

    Difference between a ball in the fairway and a slide OB is a few degrees.

    Difference between a compressed iron and laying sod, an inch.

    Difference between a piped drive and a toe hook in left rough, an inch.



    Good luck trying to make those things happen.



    People too often poo poo what they don’t understand. It’s not about the amount of movement it’s about getting the movement right, which is down and not up.
    Posted:
  • Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro  2815Members Posts: 2,815
    Joined:  #65
    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.




    Feel is much bigger than two inches because it is going down as it starts to rotate and move laterally. The rotation would make it move up independent of any down move so 2 down is more like 3 or 4 down. Couple that with most people moving up to start with and the feel becomes 6 or 7 down as a feel.
    Posted:
  • mstrammstram  188Members Posts: 188
    Joined:  #66
    The only reason Scott, DJ's left shoulders are moving down in the transition is because they have rotated their shoulders more than 90 deg on the backswing, to the point the "shoulder-point" has moved UP ! (relative to the face on horizontal / horizon).



    The shoulders turn LEVEL relative to the spine.



    So of course, to turn the shoulders on the downswing, the left shoulder APPEARS to moves "down", but that is just from a face on perspective relative to horizontal.



    Every good golf swing I've seen has the shoulders moving together, in the same plane of motion.



    Without a golf club in your hands, or without the intention of a golf swing, you can move your shoulders independently all over the place, but making a swing ? ... turn one or the other shoulder, ... your preference .. the other shoulder will "follow".
    Posted:
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern California 18604Members Posts: 18,604
    Joined:  #67
    mstram wrote:


    The only reason Scott, DJ's left shoulders are moving down in the transition is because they have rotated their shoulders more than 90 deg on the backswing, to the point the "shoulder-point" has moved UP ! (relative to the face on horizontal / horizon).



    The shoulders turn LEVEL relative to the spine.



    So of course, to turn the shoulders on the downswing, the left shoulder APPEARS to moves "down", but that is just from a face on perspective relative to horizontal.



    Every good golf swing I've seen has the shoulders moving together, in the same plane of motion.



    Without a golf club in your hands, or without the intention of a golf swing, you can move your shoulders independently all over the place, but making a swing ? ... turn one or the other shoulder, ... your preference .. the other shoulder will "follow".




    Amount of shoulder turn doesn’t preclude it.



    Regaining flexion properly is where much of the cause lies.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro  2815Members Posts: 2,815
    Joined:  #68
    mstram wrote:


    The only reason Scott, DJ's left shoulders are moving down in the transition is because they have rotated their shoulders more than 90 deg on the backswing, to the point the "shoulder-point" has moved UP ! (relative to the face on horizontal / horizon).



    The shoulders turn LEVEL relative to the spine.



    So of course, to turn the shoulders on the downswing, the left shoulder APPEARS to moves "down", but that is just from a face on perspective relative to horizontal.



    Every good golf swing I've seen has the shoulders moving together, in the same plane of motion.



    Without a golf club in your hands, or without the intention of a golf swing, you can move your shoulders independently all over the place, but making a swing ? ... turn one or the other shoulder, ... your preference .. the other shoulder will "follow".




    Shoulders absolutely do not move in the "same plane" in the downswing. Kwon has shown that repeatedly.
    Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    Joined:  #69
    mstram wrote:


    The only reason Scott, DJ's left shoulders are moving down in the transition is because they have rotated their shoulders more than 90 deg on the backswing, to the point the "shoulder-point" has moved UP ! (relative to the face on horizontal / horizon).



    The shoulders turn LEVEL relative to the spine.



    So of course, to turn the shoulders on the downswing, the left shoulder APPEARS to moves "down", but that is just from a face on perspective relative to horizontal.



    Every good golf swing I've seen has the shoulders moving together, in the same plane of motion.



    Without a golf club in your hands, or without the intention of a golf swing, you can move your shoulders independently all over the place, but making a swing ? ... turn one or the other shoulder, ... your preference .. the other shoulder will "follow".




    Not true at all. It doesn’t “appear” to move down. It does move down. Sternum and head both move down and forward. And it stays lower well past 90* and visible in players who don’t turn past 90*. It’s not a visual illusion, it’s measurable on 3D.





    https://imgur.com/a/0HxikJR



    Another good example from a guy who hits it about as good as anyone IMO
    Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8224Members Posts: 8,224
    Joined:  #70
    Hackinator wrote:
    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.




    2" down vs level or moving up makes a huge difference in low point control... especially when the golf ball is only 1.5" in diameter and hitting it 1/2" too high or low makes a huge difference in shot quality.



    Think about it a little more before you continue to write it off just because you can't comprehend the importance of a subtle movement



    Posted:
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2563Members Posts: 2,563
    Joined:  #71
    Are there any adjustments or swing thoughts when working on this with driver v. irons?
    Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11960Members Posts: 11,960
    Joined:  edited Oct 6, 2018 #72
    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.
    True, but it's a six inch mistake. Instead of looking at it as just 2 down it could be 4 up, or more, by swinging the shoulders too flat going forward. Even zero down is a benefit as it keeps you in the proper positions.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kadeykadey  217Members Posts: 217
    Joined:  #73
    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?
    Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11960Members Posts: 11,960
    Joined:  #74
    kadey wrote:


    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?
    I would say in the case of Adam Scott it's really just keeping spine angle constant. By going past his chin the L shoulder move a titch up at the end of the backswing. So going a bit down is just continued rotation.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    Joined:  #75
    Shilgy wrote:

    kadey wrote:


    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?
    I would say in the case of Adam Scott it's really just keeping spine angle constant. By going past his chin the L shoulder move a titch up at the end of the backswing. So going a bit down is just continued rotation.




    It’s not continued rotation. His belt buckle lowers, his left leg increases in flex, his sternum drops and his head works down. It’s much more than just continued rotation
    Posted:
  • oukeithoukeith Michigan 174Members Posts: 174
    Joined:  edited Oct 6, 2018 #76
    Jesterdoc wrote:






    So would this be a drill to help the “back to target” feel?



    I tried it and it felt horrible and weird and wrong. Which generally for me means I need to work on it because it’s different from what I’m currently doin’. And what I’m currently doin’ ain’t workin’




    I have a history of shoulder lunging to start the forward swing. I thought that was what you were supposed to do. Don’t ask.



    So this move to me feels like I contact the ball while still fully coiled. Of course that isn’t what is happening, but that is how it feels.



    Result from this focus for me has been greatly improved contact and shot shape. No more push slices OB as long as I execute.
    Posted:
  • mstrammstram  188Members Posts: 188
    Joined:  #77
    iteachgolf wrote:
    https://imgur.com/a/0HxikJR Another good example from a guy who hits it about as good as anyone IMO




    Who is that ?

    Do you have the whole swing ? .. would love to see it.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los Angeles 5989Members Posts: 5,989
    Joined:  #78
    It’s a bunch of different things. Hopefully, you only have to do 1/2 things and get them all.



    Left arm off chest

    Left shoulder off chin

    “Keep back to target”

    Left shoulder down and forward to left leg

    Lead with right elbow

    Stay in left tilt longer

    Regain flexion

    Dropping arms (out and forward too)



    All of those are basically the same move. It’s all how you perceive it.




    Haha. I have practiced almost all of these feels. But I am clinically nuts.



    The only one I don’t do is regain flexion. Because I don’t know what it means and sincerely hope no one tries to explain it.
    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    Joined:  #79
    mstram wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:
    https://imgur.com/a/0HxikJR Another good example from a guy who hits it about as good as anyone IMO




    Who is that ?

    Do you have the whole swing ? .. would love to see it.




    Julian Suri



    I’ve never posted that whole swing but here’s one I have posted



    Posted:
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los Angeles 5989Members Posts: 5,989
    Joined:  #80
    kadey wrote:
    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?




    The way I have been thinking about this is my butt sticks out as I also increase the bend at my hips/spine/lower my head and move my hands away from my chest. If I don’t do all that I’ll hit the hosel.



    That’s the thing that hits me - this whole transition move is a related set of changes - from pulling the handle vertically and goat humping and standing up (decreasing angel between hips/spine) early to the opposite.



    I hadn’t seen this thread till just now. It’s reassuring to me.
    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11960Members Posts: 11,960
    Joined:  #81
    iteachgolf wrote:

    Shilgy wrote:

    kadey wrote:


    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?
    I would say in the case of Adam Scott it's really just keeping spine angle constant. By going past his chin the L shoulder move a titch up at the end of the backswing. So going a bit down is just continued rotation.




    It’s not continued rotation. His belt buckle lowers, his left leg increases in flex, his sternum drops and his head works down. It’s much more than just continued rotation
    Thank you for correcting me. As I was posting I thought sure there was more.

    So it's more of a compression move like readying yourself to jump?

    In Scott's case there is very little other lowering, mostly appears to be the rotation. Others lower much further.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Nard_SNard_S  3644Members Posts: 3,644
    Joined:  #82
    kadey wrote:


    So is this move the result of a spine angle change, or is it a result of the Sneed Squat aka Monte's Zipper Away Drill?




    Nicklaus talked about "releasing from the top"....I never understood that comment but this move is releasing shoulders downward into the gut, dropping or more like throwing the shoulder girdle down (it's a fast move) in concert with re-pivot and with arms that are going down and outward. On the occasions I can do this right it feels akin to what Jack was talking about.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson  488Members Posts: 488
    Joined:  #83
    Golfbeat wrote:

    jromes23 wrote:


    Lead shoulder actually should always move up and out




    Only after impact it should move up, in and back.




    Shouldn’t it start moving that way before impact?
    Posted:
  • mstrammstram  188Members Posts: 188
    Joined:  #84
    Nard_S wrote:


    this move is releasing shoulders downward into the gut, dropping or more like throwing the shoulder girdle down (it's a fast move) in concert with re-pivot and with arms that are going down and outward.




    Good grief, and I thought that I had the weirdest swing thoughts image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    What the heck is a "re-pivot" ?
    Posted:
  • vmanvman  1295Members Posts: 1,295
    Joined:  #85
    I wish RblmGuy would just come in here and clean all this up with a few words of wisdom. image/polling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':polling:' />
    Posted:
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*, 5 DEEP 18.5*
    SRIXON U65 20*, 23*
    CALLAWAY APEX 6-P
    CALLAWAY MD FORGED 50* 54* 58*
    ODYSSEY 2M CS
  • ObeeObee  3978ClubWRX Posts: 3,978
    Joined:  edited Oct 7, 2018 #86
    mstram wrote:


    The only reason Scott, DJ's left shoulders are moving down in the transition is because they have rotated their shoulders more than 90 deg on the backswing, to the point the "shoulder-point" has moved UP ! (relative to the face on horizontal / horizon).



    The shoulders turn LEVEL relative to the spine.



    So of course, to turn the shoulders on the downswing, the left shoulder APPEARS to moves "down", but that is just from a face on perspective relative to horizontal.



    Every good golf swing I've seen has the shoulders moving together, in the same plane of motion.



    Without a golf club in your hands, or without the intention of a golf swing, you can move your shoulders independently all over the place, but making a swing ? ... turn one or the other shoulder, ... your preference .. the other shoulder will "follow".




    I'm no Adam Scott (by a long shot), and my swing is homemade, but



    https://www.youtube....5&v=xR8TJucX3pg



    Definitely "down" in transition with the left shoulder for me. It's a "compressing" move for sure, which is GREAT for lofted clubs (looks like Scott is hitting some kind of wedge there). Too much can be BAD for less-lofted clubs, though I would suspect there to be less of it with a longer club, generally (Thoughts Dan? Monte?).
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey  612Members Posts: 612
    Joined:  #87
    All I know is that this move was worth 10 mph chs to me, seems almost like black magic.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3644Members Posts: 3,644
    Joined:  #88
    mstram wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    this move is releasing shoulders downward into the gut, dropping or more like throwing the shoulder girdle down (it's a fast move) in concert with re-pivot and with arms that are going down and outward.




    Good grief, and I thought that I had the weirdest swing thoughts image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />



    What the heck is a "re-pivot" ?




    Lol......guess I should say, "get weight to left side".............on 2nd thought, no.
    Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14804ClubWRX Posts: 14,804
    Joined:  #89
    Shilgy wrote:

    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.
    True, but it's a six inch mistake. Instead of looking at it as just 2 down it could be 4 up, or more, by swinging the shoulders too flat going forward. Even zero down is a benefit as it keeps you in the proper positions.




    This is just my perception of it, but it looks like the photos aren’t lined up quite evenly. The one on the left looks just a bit lower (look at the grass). If they matched it looks like it would show even more drop on the right.



    I have no idea on the swing talk going on, just noticed that in the picture.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • AFcelicaAFcelica  733Members Posts: 733
    Joined:  #90
    ^^ it's called a slope
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11960Members Posts: 11,960
    Joined:  #91

    Shilgy wrote:

    Hackinator wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    kG5LJ8A.jpg




    Omg, so we are talking about 2 inch move. Good luck trying to make that happen.
    True, but it's a six inch mistake. Instead of looking at it as just 2 down it could be 4 up, or more, by swinging the shoulders too flat going forward. Even zero down is a benefit as it keeps you in the proper positions.




    This is just my perception of it, but it looks like the photos aren’t lined up quite evenly. The one on the left looks just a bit lower (look at the grass). If they matched it looks like it would show even more drop on the right.



    I have no idea on the swing talk going on, just noticed that in the picture.
    Same swing, camera did not move. You're being thrown off by the cut of the grass.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
9

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.