ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

New TP5 and TP5X

Comments

• DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,885 ClubWRX
    Laznasty wrote:

lanejsl wrote:

Put a sleeve in play yesterday. It was a fine ball but not a lot different than the prior version. It was noticeably clicky off the wedge and putter. Think I'll stick with my CSx.

I picked up a few dozen of the new TP5's and while I've been chipping and putting in the basement the last few nights I noticed the clicky sound too. It's still a nice feeling golf ball, it just has a more distinct clicking sound than I'm used to with the pro v1's. I can't wait to get out next week and try them on the course!

Could be the acoustics in your basement. Outside on the grass it's definitely not a clicky feeling or sounding ball. Much softer feeling than the previous generation.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • IHFNIHFN Advanced Members Posts: 1,784
    Drudersh wrote:

Laznasty wrote:

lanejsl wrote:

Put a sleeve in play yesterday. It was a fine ball but not a lot different than the prior version. It was noticeably clicky off the wedge and putter. Think I'll stick with my CSx.

I picked up a few dozen of the new TP5's and while I've been chipping and putting in the basement the last few nights I noticed the clicky sound too. It's still a nice feeling golf ball, it just has a more distinct clicking sound than I'm used to with the pro v1's. I can't wait to get out next week and try them on the course!

Could be the acoustics in your basement. Outside on the grass it's definitely not a clicky feeling or sounding ball. Much softer feeling than the previous generation.

I'll just add that chrome soft x is about as different as you can get compared to the TP5x. Chrome Soft X has the most driver and iron spin of almost any urethane ball today. Where TP5x is about the least driver and iron spin ball you can find. I would think one or the other would fit you and not both. If you made a change between these balls, you were either a bad fit with the original ball or you'd need to change your driver settings/shaft to compensate for the difference in spin. With the irons they are probably a good 10 yards different due to spin as well.

For instance, when I played P790 irons that don't spin much, I played the Chrome Soft X because I needed that extra spin and I had to play a low spin driver and shaft combo to keep the driver distance correct. When I switched to blades, I needed the TP5x so I didn't spin the irons too much and that allowed me to move away from a low spin shaft in the driver as well.
    Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
    Exotics EX10 Beta 16.5 Rogue Max 75 x-stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85

TM P760 4-PW Recoil 780 ES SMACWRAP stiff hard stepped once.

TM High Toe 52 Steelfiber 95 Stiff
    TM High Toe 58 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff

Odyssey EXO Indy S
  • Ripper859Ripper859 Northern Kentucky / CincinnatiAdvanced Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    IHFN wrote:

Drudersh wrote:

Laznasty wrote:

lanejsl wrote:

I'll just add that chrome soft x is about as different as you can get compared to the TP5x. Chrome Soft X has the most driver and iron spin of almost any urethane ball today. Where TP5x is about the least driver and iron spin ball you can find. I would think one or the other would fit you and not both. If you made a change between these balls, you were either a bad fit with the original ball or you'd need to change your driver settings/shaft to compensate for the difference in spin. With the irons they are probably a good 10 yards different due to spin as well.

For instance, when I played P790 irons that don't spin much, I played the Chrome Soft X because I needed that extra spin and I had to play a low spin driver and shaft combo to keep the driver distance correct. When I switched to blades, I needed the TP5x so I didn't spin the irons too much and that allowed me to move away from a low spin shaft in the driver as well.

Actually there is virtually no difference with the driver. The Chromesoft X off the irons spins where they should and the TP5X spins low off irons.

• spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoAdvanced Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    chris975d wrote:

chris975d wrote:

So the official release has come and gone, and there's nothing on the website about the ninja star version. Wonder why.

It has a later release. March or April, I can't remember and I don't have my launch material with me at home.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep my hopes up for a yellow version, then. We still haven't seen confirmation either way on that front.

There is no yellow version slated to release this year. We (account holders) have had the info for the PIX (ninja star) ball since late summer last year. If a yellow variant was scheduled to be released, we would have already been able to prebook it by now, and have sales info on it.

Well.....f***.

Thanks, TM. Missed opportunity. You can make fancy ninja stars but can't make it in a solid color. Makes sense. Not.
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego
  • IHFNIHFN Advanced Members Posts: 1,784
    Ripper859 wrote:

IHFN wrote:

Drudersh wrote:

Laznasty wrote:

lanejsl wrote:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=pVYffUKXQ-s

Actually there is virtually no difference with the driver. The Chromesoft X off the irons spins where they should and the TP5X spins low off irons.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=GLnKzcapZH8

Fair enough, but I've done similar tests like this on GCQuad (and with more than just me) as well as on course testing and that's where I got my information. So really the only certainty we can say that it's different based on different swings. In the end, the point is you need to be fitted with the equipment you are playing to find the right ball for you. Changing equipment can mean you should also look again at the golf ball as the equipment can change the requirements you need out of a golf ball.
    Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
    Exotics EX10 Beta 16.5 Rogue Max 75 x-stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85

TM P760 4-PW Recoil 780 ES SMACWRAP stiff hard stepped once.

TM High Toe 52 Steelfiber 95 Stiff
    TM High Toe 58 Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff

Odyssey EXO Indy S
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,239 ✭✭
    Ripper859 wrote:

IHFN wrote:

Drudersh wrote:

Laznasty wrote:

lanejsl wrote:

Chrome soft x isn’t a high spin ball for me either. Not even close to tour B rxs which with a wedge is nasty. It’s also consistently lower spin and longer for me than 17 prov1x.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,148 ✭✭
    The new TP5 and TP5x feel like range balls around the green. Have not gotten them onto the course yet but not impressed so far.
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Advanced Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭

The new TP5 and TP5x feel like range balls around the green. Have not gotten them onto the course yet but not impressed so far.

Oh Scratch, always love your positive insights.
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Advanced Members Posts: 2,168 ✭✭
    I'm just about to buy 5 dozens of range balls for $200
  • garth.dieselgarth.diesel Advanced Members Posts: 138

chris975d wrote:

chris975d wrote:

So the official release has come and gone, and there's nothing on the website about the ninja star version. Wonder why.

It has a later release. March or April, I can't remember and I don't have my launch material with me at home.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep my hopes up for a yellow version, then. We still haven't seen confirmation either way on that front.

There is no yellow version slated to release this year. We (account holders) have had the info for the PIX (ninja star) ball since late summer last year. If a yellow variant was scheduled to be released, we would have already been able to prebook it by now, and have sales info on it.

Well.....f***.

Thanks, TM. Missed opportunity. You can make fancy ninja stars but can't make it in a solid color. Makes sense. Not.

What is this ninja star version you speak of? How ill it be different?
    Taylormade M1 460 w/ Tensei Orange V2 TX 70 tipped 1" or Kuro Kage XT TX 70 tipped 1"
    Ping G25 15* w/ Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 X tipped 1"
    Taylormade M1 4-hybrid w/ Fujikura 869 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP-25 4-W w/ C-Taper X
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF Chrome 52/56/60
    Odyssey Versa 7
  • golf_addict73golf_addict73 Jr. Boomers Posts: 230
    bunta wrote:
    sometimes i wished TM would just leave the TP5's alone. you like it you buy it, you dont like it, dont buy it. You made a ball so good that made everyone and their mother switch. Now stop f**king tinkering..

Now i have to go test again and im not good enough to tell what changed. smh

Andddd, you hit the nail on the head as to why I have 16 dozen of the 2017/2018 model.

Not even interested in trying the new version
    Titleist TS3 KuroKage XT60 TX
    TaylorMade M3 15* Tensei Blue 75
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17* HZRDUS 6.5
    Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
    Mizuno MP-T7 50/06
    Mizuno MP-T7 54/08
    Mizuno MP-T7 58/12
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 33"
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,797 ClubWRX

What is this ninja star version you speak of? How ill it be different?

"Ninja star" refers to the ChromeSoft TruVis (aka the soccer ball) competitor that TaylorMade will be debuting in about a month. The pattern on in resembles a ninja star. Otherwise, its a standard TP5. It's name is the TP5 PIX.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,098 ✭✭

I'm half wondering what could impress you with not even using the ball extensively yet?

Are you like me? One of those guys that looks at somethings packaging and dismisses it instantly?
    Stanks wrote:

I'm half wondering what could impress you with not even using the ball extensively yet?

Are you like me? One of those guys that looks at somethings packaging and dismisses it instantly?

Performing around the green is far more important then any other aspect of the ball.

I’ve put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,098 ✭✭

Stanks wrote:

Performing around the green is far more important then any other aspect of the ball.

I’ve put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.

It doesn’t. I rarely take what other people say at any value. I’m more of a self reliant tester. I’ll judge what works for me and give it’s due process.
  • MorryMorry Advanced Members Posts: 816 ✭✭

Stanks wrote:

I've put these balls through the paces on the course now if it makes you feel better.

How did they perform for you?

would love to hear

thanks
    Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 6.0 / TPT 17 MKP
    Callaway Fusion 3W - Fuji Evo III S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 790 4-P - Modus 105-S
    Cleveland RTX-4 50, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    Callaway CS-X 
    * Close to same distance, I would not say TP5X is longer without taking a good shot average off Trackman. If it is longer it’s a handful of yards.

* TP5 launches lower but not by mouth.

* Hard to tell a difference driver - 7iron

* Short irons and drown TP5 spins quite a bit more.

* Full shots X is more one bounce and stop. TP5 you really have to control spin on full wedges. I spun a few back over 30 feet.

* Both feel clicky and harder than other premium balls around the green.

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don’t spin back like the TP5.
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Advanced Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don't spin back like the TP5.

interesting. thanks for posting that.

I am down to TP5X, Pro V1 and XV, tried the first two. just going to get a sample 6 pack of the XV.

How is the wind performance? that's what matters a lot for me.
    Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X

Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400

Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

* IMO both new Titleist balls are superior as they are just as long, perform the same driver to green (minus the crazy spin of the TP5). But around the green spin better, feel better, and don't spin back like the TP5.

I am down to TP5X, Pro V1 and XV, tried the first two. just going to get a sample 6 pack of the XV.

I played the PV1 in some wind and rain and shot even par. Ball did fine....
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,556 ✭✭
    edited February 24

I played the PV1 in some wind and rain and shot even par. Ball did fine....

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don’t get this; it was one comment made after a **** round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I’d love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
    noodle3872 wrote:

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don't get this; it was one comment made after a **** round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I'd love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.

agreed my current ball to play on Scottish Links is Pro V1 but always looking for better. heard nothing but good things about the XV in the wind but have never really hit one.

noodle3872 wrote:

Since Rory made his negative comment about his golf ball after the Masters a few years back there seems to be this notion that the Pro V1/V1x balls are not good wind balls. I just don't get this; it was one comment made after a **** round. He left the Pro V1x for the TP5x and he left that ball for the TP5. I'd love for an independent testing n golf balls wind performance. Use a wind tunnel and ball cannon to keep things equal.

agreed my current ball to play on Scottish Links is Pro V1 but always looking for better. heard nothing but good things about the XV in the wind but have never really hit one.

It’s a good ball but really doesn’t feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won’t know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

It's a good ball but really doesn't feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won't know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

perfect thanks.

might try and do that this Friday, buy a trial pack t compare with the pro vs I have bought.

It's a good ball but really doesn't feel nearly as soft or spin as much of the V1 and V1x around the greens. You won't know the difference unless you hit alternate shots between the XV and Titleist balls and then the difference is obvious.

perfect thanks.

might try and do that this Friday, buy a trial pack t compare with the pro vs I have bought.

I have not tried the new XV, only the prior generation. Someone told me the new one is softer.
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Advanced Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭
    edited February 25

perfect thanks.

I have not tried the new XV, only the prior generation. Someone told me the new one is softer.

2019 XV felt a bit softer than the 17 TP5x to me off the putter. I haven't tried the 19 TP5x so can't compare.
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Advanced Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭

perfect thanks.

Do it, I found the XV to be quite a bit better wind ball than the Pro V1. I just don't find the pro V1 to be a great wind ball compared to TM, Srixon, or Bridgestone.
    New TP5x:

- Just as long as the previous TP5x. Any extra yardage should really be considered negligible.

- Still has the same style finish. Not matte but not shiny.

- New alignment aid isn't that great. I don't use them personally as I am always second guessing myself with them but, I still think this could have been different. It is better than the last version.

- Feel off wedges was very consistent with old style ball

- Feel off putter face was the same as old style ball

- Feel off driver was same.

- Ball flight was the same as prior version. Good high launch off the face.

- Stopping power was also consistent to the prior version.

- Durability is much much much more improved but, there was still some light gashing / scuffing from wedge shots. No cart paths were damaged, nor rocks, nor bunker shots. To me, this is not a big deal. Prior generation showed a lot of bad marks quite easily for me and I was very turned off at that. The new version, I can totally live with it. It seems far far more durable.

Overall, I wouldn't say run out and grab it. They will be well in stock at your local store, I'm sure. I still need to try out the new TP5 (not X) as I liked the original feel a lot more. It's a good ball. The major requests seem to have been fixed and worked on substantially but, there is always room for improvement.
  • mmack067mmack067 Advanced Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    Any data on that Stanks? Or just more of an observational on course type testing?
    Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    '16 M1 15˚- Rogue Silver 70X
    TaylorMade UDI 20˚- Recoil 110 F5
    TaylorMade RSI TP 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 60M - S400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

mmack067 wrote:

Any data on that Stanks? Or just more of an observational on course type testing?

On course observational testing. Luckily, the course I played was quite dead today so I was playing both versions TP5x pretty side by side (2 balls a whole). In terms of trackman or any other launch monitor data, nah. I don't sport that kind of $$$ unfortunately.

I'll always use a ball for feel instead of distance. I have distance. Ball go far for me. I like the lower compression balls in general but, was happy to play these today.

Anything else you'd like me to comment on?
  • CDMCDM Advanced Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    edited February 26
    So got a chance to test more both side by side indoors with the full bag. Did some with trackman as the place I was hitting at has as few bays with them. Overall I would say its just "enhancements" between last years TP5/TP5X to this years. Nothing earth shattering.

It is very nominal between them with the real numbers, or so for me. TPX5 they felt almost exactly the same. TP5 also but it seemed like just a bit lower spin off the woods (not much only a 200 rpm or so) Given this I just ordered 2 dozen each of last years TP5 and TP5X for this season. Mainly as the are on sale and nothing is really that different from my testing.

Two things to note...its STILL a sweet ball (either model) and it does seem like '19 model cover is a tab more durable. After a bunch of wedges shots to both models the '19 did have a few less scuffs. Still had scuffs Its not Srixon durable (which is crazy honestly but some reason they spin way way to much for me)
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Advanced Members Posts: 10,270 ✭✭
    Early reports were that this ball was amazing. Actual testing says that there is little to no improvement over past years. What made Rickie switch?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • tommys103tommys103 Members Posts: 4
    I tinkered with the older TP5 and TP5X and loved the distance but couldn't get past the control around the greens. Was hoping this new version was improved but from the sounds of it, it isn't.
  • CDMCDM Advanced Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Early reports were that this ball was amazing. Actual testing says that there is little to no improvement over past years. What made Rickie switch?

I switched from the ProV / X to the TP models a few years ago and I did see better results for my game. I think its like clubs, without getting the right fit its not the best for you. I am sure Ricky saw something during the Ryder Cup when he played the ball that he liked better. I moved over becuase I did gain distance off the tee with the TP models over ProV's. Everything else was very similar. ProV does have just a bit better feel. *Honestly I could game either with my limited skills image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> but settle on the TP more....
    CDM wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I switched from the ProV / X to the TP models a few years ago and I did see better results for my game. I think its like clubs, without getting the right fit its not the best for you. I am sure Ricky saw something during the Ryder Cup when he played the ball that he liked better. I moved over becuase I did gain distance off the tee with the TP models over ProV's. Everything else was very similar. ProV does have just a bit better feel. *Honestly I could game either with my limited skills image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> but settle on the TP more....

All about money my friend....
    Holy Moses wrote:

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn’t worth the price they’re selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I’ll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale
    Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn't worth the price they're selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

No offense but if your handicap is really a 15 I don't think any ball will make much of a difference. You can really only see the difference in these balls when you strike it solid and mainly from 120 and in (especially around the greens). If you gave a 0 handicap 6 balls of each PV1 and TP5X and watched them hit different shots around the green you could easily see and also hear a very big difference between these balls. I have tried for years to beat the V1 and V1X and can't seem to ever do it.
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Advanced Members Posts: 970 ✭✭

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

The ball is amazing in comparison to the PROv1. Anyone that knows me know how outspoken I am against the prov1 line. A 3 piece ball isn't worth the price they're selling at. Same with the V1x. The taylormade ball is cheaper and reacts better.

It is all about the $¤£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

No offense but if your handicap is really a 15 I don't think any ball will make much of a difference. You can really only see the difference in these balls when you strike it solid and mainly from 120 and in (especially around the greens). If you gave a 0 handicap 6 balls of each PV1 and TP5X and watched them hit different shots around the green you could easily see and also hear a very big difference between these balls. I have tried for years to beat the V1 and V1X and can't seem to ever do it.

I did that very comparison and found the TP5 to be miles better than the Pro V for me. Just all about preferences in what you want to feel, hear and see.

The new ball isn't the cure for cancer, btw, it's just a good solid ball.
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
    Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

It is all about the $€£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

I've seen different from that. As a ball retailer/course operator, almost every single customer that I've watched play/hit golf balls that was playing a ProV1 family ball that I've recommended something else to, typically a TaylorMade, Srixon, or Bridgestone tour level ball, has all switched away from Titleist because they like the new ball more and play better with it. To the point that I don't even stock Titliest anymore (which is almost unimaginable for a proshop), and my premium level ball sales have actually increased. ProV1s definitely aren't the best ball for everyone, not even lower handicap golfers. I've got way too many years of witnessing this with thousands of golfers for that to be true.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    JackStraw2 wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

It is all about the $¤£¥. I think, when the rest of my ball stash is gone (8 dozen RZN platinum, 1 dozen Snell, 3 TP5/x, 2 dozen KSIG on and on) then I'll go MTB X. Cheap and performs. By then, TP5 will be on sale

I did that very comparison and found the TP5 to be miles better than the Pro V for me. Just all about preferences in what you want to feel, hear and see.

The new ball isn't the cure for cancer, btw, it's just a good solid ball.

Glad to hear you found a ball that fits your game. V1 wont work for everyone and TP5 won’t work for all.
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Advanced Members Posts: 412 ✭✭

If you want yellow and like the TP5, just grab the '18 Project (a) - it's a very similar ball and a total sleeper. I put the (a) up against a handful of other "premium" balls and was very impressed. Was 7-8 yards longer with the irons and got about 1,000RPM more spin. Great feel as well. Even prompted me to move away from the RZN Platinum, which I thought would be impossible.
    nflam-button.png

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I’m more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn’t constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I’ve played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I’ll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That’s just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn’t use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn’t mean s*** when judging performance. I’ll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.
    Stanks wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I'm more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn't constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I've played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I'll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That's just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn't use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn't mean s*** when judging performance. I'll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.

I'm sorry but if you are an 18 handicap you are not making consistent enough solid contact to tell a difference. I would argue that most scratch or better players scores would not change over a 10 round average between the TP5 and ProV1. The differences between all these balls is very minor but at the end of the day can lead to a 3ft par putt versus a 4ft par putt which very well could be a stroke difference in score. Again this one foot difference is assuming you strike it well, if your chip it thin or fat it won't make a difference. I think the sound and feel is what changes the most between the balls and that just comes down to a comfort level.

Of all the premium balls I tested this year the only very obvious noticeable difference I found (other then feel or sound) was the TP5 excessive spin on full wedges. Basically all the other balls have slight differences that really are not going to make or break you over a 10 round average. The TP5 I found that I have to play a lot of dead hand/ knock down wedge shots or account for the spin.
    chris975d wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I've seen different from that. As a ball retailer/course operator, almost every single customer that I've watched play/hit golf balls that was playing a ProV1 family ball that I've recommended something else to, typically a TaylorMade, Srixon, or Bridgestone tour level ball, has all switched away from Titleist because they like the new ball more and play better with it. To the point that I don't even stock Titliest anymore (which is almost unimaginable for a proshop), and my premium level ball sales have actually increased. ProV1s definitely aren't the best ball for everyone, not even lower handicap golfers. I've got way too many years of witnessing this with thousands of golfers for that to be true.

I really like the Bstone X ball.... I just don't see the performance differences that you speak of, to me the V1 and V1X perform close to the same as all others but feel and sound a little softer around the greens and spin a little more, which I prefer. The Srixon and both TM balls have a noticeable click, the Bstone I would put in lines with the Titleist balls but as strange as it sounds I am not a fan of the Bstone dimple pattern. Again I think over a few round average the only thing that would change my score is how I am playing and the ball would have very little impact.
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Advanced Members Posts: 5,579 ✭✭

Stanks wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I'm more off 18 right now actually. Fortunately for you, I can and do feel a difference. My score doesn't constitute the ability to see how a ball performs for me. I've played every style premium ball in the last 4-5 years. Yeah, I can feel a difference and see a difference.

I'll go ahead and say that most of the balls used on tour are because of money and continued performance. That's just how it is. Taylormade might be paying rickie more. Bridgestone is paying tiger absurd amounts. Rory said he loved platinum RZN tour or black, which was produced by Bridgestone, but oh wait, he doesn't use that because TM pays him more.

Long story short, a handicap doesn't mean s*** when judging performance. I'll tell people to buy this ball over titleist prov1 and x all day every day.

I'm sorry but if you are an 18 handicap you are not making consistent enough solid contact to tell a difference. I would argue that most scratch or better players scores would not change over a 10 round average between the TP5 and ProV1. The differences between all these balls is very minor but at the end of the day can lead to a 3ft par putt versus a 4ft par putt which very well could be a stroke difference in score. Again this one foot difference is assuming you strike it well, if your chip it thin or fat it won't make a difference. I think the sound and feel is what changes the most between the balls and that just comes down to a comfort level.

Of all the premium balls I tested this year the only very obvious noticeable difference I found (other then feel or sound) was the TP5 excessive spin on full wedges. Basically all the other balls have slight differences that really are not going to make or break you over a 10 round average. The TP5 I found that I have to play a lot of dead hand/ knock down wedge shots or account for the spin.

I’m the same, the biggest difference I see besides feel is with the highest lofted wedge. Most are similar still on full swings, it’s the 60 to green side yardages where some will noticeably spin less. Depending on your course conditions and the types of shots you prefer around the green you’ll have a different preference.

Agree about your better player stance, I know some people won’t like to hear their opinion may not be as valuable but oh well, can’t make everyone happy.

What do you do to test balls? I’ve been trying 5-6 models, I’ll putt, chip, hit 20-40 yard pitches, then take a flightscope out for 75 yard, full lob wedge, 8 iron, driver. Going to be adding long iron this year as lack of spin with 4/5 iron was an issue for me last year.
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Advanced Members Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Stanks wrote:

Just as an FYI, Bridgestone stopped making balls for Nike when the RZN line rolled out. Before then yes, but not the final ones, which were made in Taiwan.

It's cool to see high index golfers spending $40-50 per dozen on premium balls - they make great finds on so many courses.
    nflam-button.png
    edited February 27

chris975d wrote:

Stanks wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

I really like the Bstone X ball.... I just don't see the performance differences that you speak of, to me the V1 and V1X perform close to the same as all others but feel and sound a little softer around the greens and spin a little more, which I prefer. The Srixon and both TM balls have a noticeable click, the Bstone I would put in lines with the Titleist balls but as strange as it sounds I am not a fan of the Bstone dimple pattern. Again I think over a few round average the only thing that would change my score is how I am playing and the ball would have very little impact.

No biggie, that's why they make different balls..people have different preferences. I just have rarely truly seen anyone enjoy going back to a ProV1 after making an actual true attempt to play literally almost any other tour caliber ball. I think it has a lot to do with people that play ProV1 typically have played it most of it's life (or their life), and are accustomed to its feel, sound, performance, etc. Hey...that's why Titleist does what they do...they've hooked people on it early (through various methods, I've mentioned them in other threads), and most people are creatures of habit. But those players that I've switched to a new ball and have played with it long enough to learn what it does (key point there...not just a round or two) almost always say it was the best thing they've done for their game, and wish they had done it sooner. Similar to when you get (just for kicks and giggles) a player who plays (and has played for a while) another tour caliber, non-ProV1 ball and ask them to play a ProV1...they usually report that they can't stand it/hate it, at least in my experience.

I've been in the business since before the ProV1 came to market, and I just honestly have never seen anything great about that ball. Tried playing it many times, and it's definitely not the cost that's a concern for me...I'm in the golf business, and you can get as many of them as you want for free more or less. I just don't see it being a great ball. I don't consider it in the top 3 tour balls in terms of performance. That's an opinion I've developed during it's entire life, from my personal experiences and from discussions I've had with all the lower handicap, higher handicap, and tournament golfers I've encountered in my career.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    swizbeatz wrote:

I'm the same, the biggest difference I see besides feel is with the highest lofted wedge. Most are similar still on full swings, it's the 60 to green side yardages where some will noticeably spin less. Depending on your course conditions and the types of shots you prefer around the green you'll have a different preference.

Agree about your better player stance, I know some people won't like to hear their opinion may not be as valuable but oh well, can't make everyone happy.

What do you do to test balls? I've been trying 5-6 models, I'll putt, chip, hit 20-40 yard pitches, then take a flightscope out for 75 yard, full lob wedge, 8 iron, driver. Going to be adding long iron this year as lack of spin with 4/5 iron was an issue for me last year.

Lots of chipping and pitching on a good green where I can see the differences. Get onto an empty course that I know well, hit alternating shots of tee, fairway, onto greens, etc and see how it performs. If I mishit a shot I really not take that ball into account. If I see anything that needs to be verified I will hit some on a monitor but it's generally not needed.
    I do suck but I know good balls. These are good balls
    I do suck but I know good balls. These are good balls.
    Stanks wrote:

I do suck but I know good balls. These are good balls.

That is literally exactly what I was told last night regarding something else.