We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Who mills Byron Morgan heads

Comments

• Ngjg21Ngjg21  873WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 873
    Wow. This thread is off the rails. Let's please not allow *another* thread to become all about Lamb.

Back to the original question--anyone have an answer on who mills Byron's heads?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • delmerdelmer  439WRX Points: 3ClubWRX Posts: 439 BST Banned
    Ngjg21 wrote:

Wow. This thread is off the rails. Let's please not allow *another* thread to become all about Lamb.

Back to the original question--anyone have an answer on who mills Byron's heads?

Honestly it's probably a local jobbing machine shop that nobody has ever heard of and really isn't that interesting.
    Posted:
  • DrJACOBDrJACOB  177WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 177
    This thread has brought attention to the fact that lots of companies resource out putter heads to be made/milled else where. It doesn't mean it takes away from being a quality putter. It does say that name of the putter might not have done all the work. Ex. Toulon putter come new with a shaft band sticker that says "Head Made in China", "Shaft Made in China" "Assembled in Mexico"! They still feel nice and win tour events.

This is why I value a handmade/milled putter more that a CNC putter.

To the OP question: I have heard that some of Byron's DH89 heads and Piretti heads are milled in the same place that is in the U.S.A! I don't know the exact name tho. I am sure both companies do make some models all in house by hand too.
    Posted:
    TM M1 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
    Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
    Titlesit 910H 19*
    Miura Bades 4-PW
    Miura Wedges 51,55,59
    Callaway PM 64
    BB2 or at least one of my 8802 style putters
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  2933WRX Points: 459Members Posts: 2,933
    Sad that a thread about Byron Morgan devolved into a Lamb/Cameron debate.
    Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker  4760WRX Points: 661ClubWRX Posts: 4,760
    justasgood wrote:

Sad that a thread about Byron Morgan devolved into a Lamb/Cameron debate.

True. Hopefully the topic gets back on track. If anyone wishes to discuss Lamb or Cameron or anyone else start a new thread or continue on somewhere else.
    Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta  3090WRX Points: 203Members Posts: 3,090
    Doesn't really matter to me where Byron gets his heads milled. All I know is he produces and sells great putters with many custom options. Not to mention he's just a down to earth guy who would never think of "playing games".
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89

Advertisement
  • Matt JMatt J  8735WRX Points: 336Members Posts: 8,735
    I think the thread drifted because we had one of his sales reps post and still no mention of where the heads are CNC'd. If I were in his shoes I'd probably shop best rate, performance, and ease of doing business each time I ran a batch of heads. Why not?

I'm with oneaugusta... although I bought my DH-89 from Jimmy at 303Milled, I wrote Byron and asked him for some shaft labels, and sure enough they were in my mail box before I remembered I had asked. That made me glad I supported him buying my putter. Not to mention the putter is silky smooth and perfect in its simplicity in my my eyes.
    Posted:
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn  2494WRX Points: 346Members Posts: 2,494
    Is 303Milled still up and running? Their last blog post was years ago and their eBay store is gone..
    Posted:
    Last I checked Jimmy had found a local supplier of heads and was launching a 303 Milled house brand. They looked pretty good but were priced the same as a Byron so it seemed like a wash.

He still has the storefront up but not a ton of merch. I should get a magnetic head cover from him before he runs out.

Posted:
  • longballlongball  225WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 225
    Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Is 303Milled still up and running? Their last blog post was years ago and their eBay store is gone..

Looks like he had his own putters milled. Maybe milled at the same shop as Byron? image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    longball wrote:

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Looks like he had his own putters milled. Maybe milled at the same shop as Byron? image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

That DH89 GSS he has on there for $850 is a great looking putter and a great price for something of that quality. I might have to grab a Byron to give it a shot.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MixedBagMixedBag  1491WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 1,491
    another reason to appreciate my Lajosi
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M1 10.5 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] F9 3/4[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]F9 5/6[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] AMP Cell 4/5h[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] CG16 5-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Grindworks[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 86 Series - 50* and 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sunset Beach[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 60*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM Chaska (silver) / Lajosi mid-mallet prototype[/font]
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4648WRX Points: 337Members Posts: 4,648
    I can’t see how outsourcing the milled heads creates a different product than milling in house.
    Posted:
  • rbj69rbj69  762WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 762
    Scotty1140 wrote:
    I can’t see how outsourcing the milled heads creates a different product than milling in house.
    It doesn't, but if the guys that pay for them think so let them,I kind of like most of the time wins are not completely forged in fire and brim some handmilled putters lol

But I do like craftsmanship and if that is the selling point than I like that but if you going to say it's better than the not 100% miles by hand putters I would have to call BS
    Posted:
    Taylormade M16 with blue atmos shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3 wd with blue evnflow shaft
    Cleveland hb launcher 3h
    4-pw Srixon Z585\Z785 combo with $ taper shafts
    Cleveland 50 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 56 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 60 cbx2 wedge
    Odyssey stability 1Wide
    Cleveland frontline
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
    delmer wrote:

longball wrote:

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

That DH89 GSS he has on there for $850 is a great looking putter and a great price for something of that quality. I might have to grab a Byron to give it a shot.

That was the next run after the batch when the one I bought was made. I just can't buy into GSS. If it's 300 a head better steel I can't feel it.
    Posted:
  • JimvJimv  613WRX Points: 96Members Posts: 613
    leftyDH04 wrote:

delmer wrote:

longball wrote:

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

That was the next run after the batch when the one I bought was made. I just can't buy into GSS. If it's 300 a head better steel I can't feel it.

Wholesale cost of GSS for the putter maker is only about $50 per head over plain stainless.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2346WRX Points: 449Members Posts: 2,346
    They say it machines differently, like it's "stickier" and less harsh off the mill bits vs sss. If I had some experience with this sort of work I'd maybe believe it.
    Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

Can you imagine people buying regular and stamping GSS themselves in one location and flipping? It would be anarchy and nobody could ever refute that it's not, unless the letters look horrible.
    Posted:

B330-RX

A.Princey wrote:

They say it machines differently, like it's "stickier" and less harsh off the mill bits vs sss. If I had some experience with this sort of work I'd maybe believe it.

I do know from a putter maker who told me GSS was harder to mill, but in the performance department he couldn't justify the upcharge.

That's honesty. As an owner of several GSS putters, I can honestly say the upcharge was a waste of my money.

I've got a couple buddies who are Metallurgists and they laugh when they hear people pay thousands of dollars more for a putter made out of German stainless steel compared to stainless that comes from here. From what they've told me they make steel a little differently to start but at the end of the day 303 stainless steel is 303 stainless steel.

They laugh at the GSS craze much like machinists laugh at it when people what to see machining marks on putters. It just shows how dopey all of us golfers are.
    Posted:
  • joseyjosey  123WRX Points: 6Members Posts: 123
    The magic of marketing.
    Posted:
    delmer wrote:

A.Princey wrote:

I do know from a putter maker who told me GSS was harder to mill, but in the performance department he couldn't justify the upcharge.

That's honesty. As an owner of several GSS putters, I can honestly say the upcharge was a waste of my money.

I've got a couple buddies who are Metallurgists and they laugh when they hear people pay thousands of dollars more for a putter made out of German stainless steel compared to stainless that comes from here. From what they've told me they make steel a little differently to start but at the end of the day 303 stainless steel is 303 stainless steel.

They laugh at the GSS craze much like machinists laugh at it when people what to see machining marks on putters. It just shows how dopey all of us golfers are.

The only chemical makeup difference that I can ascertain is possibly a few different rare-earth trace elements. We're talking like 0.0001% molybdenum etc type stuff.
    Posted:

B330-RX

Advertisement
  • cforseliuscforselius  395WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 395
    It is really amusing reading all the GSS comments. The ignorance is amazing. You can discuss to the infinity, but at the end of the day one person will still buy a GSS putter from Scotty or Byron or whatever and they will laugh at it and grab a standard 303 bar and start milling.
    Posted:
  • LionGolferLionGolfer  1393WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 1,393
    cforselius wrote:

It is really amusing reading all the GSS comments. The ignorance is amazing. You can discuss to the infinity, but at the end of the day one person will still buy a GSS putter from Scotty or Byron or whatever and they will laugh at it and grab a standard 303 bar and start milling.

That's assuming they don't use blanks from another source :-)
    Posted:
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
    UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG 317
    Irons : GrindStudioProto-ModartCBC-PXG311T-RoddioMeisterM
    Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
    Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-Xenon
  • cforseliuscforselius  395WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 395
    LionGolfer wrote:

cforselius wrote:

That's assuming they don't use blanks from another source :-)

Haha true mate, good one!
    Posted:
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta  3090WRX Points: 203Members Posts: 3,090
    Please please! No GSS debates again, we've done this many many times.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
  • SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER  3322WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 3,322
    Interesting thread for sure. What about Artisan Golf and how their putters are crafted from start to finish?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred  4239WRX Points: 383Sponsors Posts: 4,239
    SPY ZINGER wrote:

Interesting thread for sure. What about Artisan Golf and how their putters are crafted from start to finish?

Artisan definitely starts w a block not a premilled blank.
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.