TaylorMade M5 cracking already ???

Comments

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    certainly interesting for the poor M5, I did think why have the overhang when I first saw bottom pics.

I have a few white lines down my m3 track from white wooden tees.
    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • ironmikesironmikes Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure if the people using these heads just ponied up for the TM tour issue tees this would not be happening image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Just gonna sit back and watch this thread explode...image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I see the potential for a Marshall to eventually get involved.
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • b81smithb81smith ClubWRX Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s actually funny how cheap it looks. Also why are a bunch of golfers asking if a golf club hit something. A driver hits a ball at 100 plus mph and needs to be able to withstand hitting a rock in he ground, etc. I always laugh when a non golfer thinks they’ll break my clubs. I say if you can break the club I’ll give ya 100 bucks. Hahaha. A strong man couldn’t snap a new graphite shaft over his leg. Just vent to a U shape and gave up because their shin hurt.

I’d say that is a fake taylormade or its extremely **** poor made.
    Ben S
    Hailing from North Aurora
    WITB:
    Smoke Wagon: Ping G LST 10.5 with Diamana Blue (JDM version) 70X set to standard
    Fairway: Ping G 3 wood - 14.5 with Tour 80 or UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red 89 in X flex set to standard
    Hybrid: Ping G 3 hybrid 19 deg with Tour 90 in S flex tipped .5 extra
    Irons: 4-P Mizuno MP-30 all weighted to D5 with DG x-100's
    Wedges: 50, 54, 58 - Ping Glide 2.0 all with DG S-400
    Putter: Mizuno Black Carbon by Bettinardi - BC-1 flamed finish
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That overhang fails Design 101 .. Houston we have a problem

i'm locked in on woods for next year anyways.
    Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Regular tees wouldnt do this. Looks like IF it is because of the tees, it is the large tees in mats. But still skeptical.

The plight of the 30 handicaper bottoming out on a mat and blaming the tee.

Heaven forbid a 30 handicap demo's a driver. Maybe the reps should give warnings, "Are you under a 10 handicap? No? I'm sorry, you can't demo this driver. It's delicate and can't handle it if you hit the mat before the tee." (Forget about Rahm slamming his driver into the turf on Sunday... I'm sure that will be fine.)
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 565 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t liked Taylormade woods for years so it’s pretty much irrelevant to me except for odd curiosity value of it.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    b81smith wrote:

It’s actually funny how cheap it looks. Also why are a bunch of golfers asking if a golf club hit something. A driver hits a ball at 100 plus mph and needs to be able to withstand hitting a rock in he ground, etc. I always laugh when a non golfer thinks they’ll break my clubs. I say if you can break the club I’ll give ya 100 bucks. Hahaha. A strong man couldn’t snap a new graphite shaft over his leg. Just vent to a U shape and gave up because their shin hurt.

Unless clubs sent to Golf Galaxy at numerous locals were "Fake" then it's a major design flaw.........which it is TM is aware of it and reps are doing damage control to stores employees.
    M5 9 Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.1 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rig14Port wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

So the recoil of a tee can break the carbon sole pieces. Not sure I buy this theory. The tee should bend in the direction of the clubhead’s direction of travel not launch upwards like a spike. But in the fraction of a second that the clubhead is passing over the tee knocking the tee forwards, the tee is wreaking havoc on the carbon pieces. Nah, can’t get my head around that claim. The drivers pictured look like they’ve been abused.

Does this change your opinion about tees potentially damaging carbon fiber on a driver head?Abmrlb.md.jpg

Hey, I have one of those pictures too!

AYDOpm.md.jpg
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    EricWGolf wrote:

Rig14Port wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

So the recoil of a tee can break the carbon sole pieces. Not sure I buy this theory. The tee should bend in the direction of the clubhead's direction of travel not launch upwards like a spike. But in the fraction of a second that the clubhead is passing over the tee knocking the tee forwards, the tee is wreaking havoc on the carbon pieces. Nah, can't get my head around that claim. The drivers pictured look like they've been abused.

Does this change your opinion about tees potentially damaging carbon fiber on a driver head?Abmrlb.md.jpg

AYDOpm.md.jpg

These are impressive pictures.
    M4 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Nike VR Pro Combo | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350
    ignitewvu wrote:
    b81smith wrote:

Unless clubs sent to Golf Galaxy at numerous locals were "Fake" then it's a major design flaw.........which it is TM is aware of it and reps are doing damage control to stores employees.

My bad. Didn’t know it was a post from a big box store and no history attached just a shotty looking driver bottom similar to that as a Chinese copy.

Odd they wanted carbon fiber over hanging the channel a piece of metal moves back n forth thru. Lmao. I’m no engineer but god that looks breakable and fragile
    Ben S
    WITB:
    Smoke Wagon: Ping G LST 10.5 with Diamana Blue (JDM version) 70X set to standard
    Fairway: Ping G 3 wood - 14.5 with Tour 80 or UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red 89 in X flex set to standard
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What's just as baffling about this is that the overhang isn't even functional. The weight track doesn't go across the front of the sole anymore! You can even tell in the official product photos that the overhang is quite pronounced.

Totally can see this happening, and it may not be isolated to a small percentage of heads.
    M5 9.0°, 757 
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Piretti Potenza
    Tour BX

EricWGolf wrote:
    Rig14Port wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

So the recoil of a tee can break the carbon sole pieces. Not sure I buy this theory. The tee should bend in the direction of the clubhead’s direction of travel not launch upwards like a spike. But in the fraction of a second that the clubhead is passing over the tee knocking the tee forwards, the tee is wreaking havoc on the carbon pieces. Nah, can’t get my head around that claim. The drivers pictured look like they’ve been abused.

AYDOpm.md.jpg

Holy crap. Assuming these are actual drivers is this type of issue a complete replacement similar to snapping a driver or iron at the hosel? All major companies replace the wood for free if it breaks during normal course of play.

BUT a plastic tee going threw supposedly one of the lightest strongest materials we can manufacture is.....how you say hard to believe. Must be a 500mph swing. Like when a toothpick goes into a telephone pole in a hurricane right? I’d assume a complete full even custom order full replacement if a this crap happens. Wow
    Ben S
    WITB:
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    b81smith wrote:

EricWGolf wrote:
    Rig14Port wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

AYDOpm.md.jpg

Holy crap. Assuming these are actual drivers is this type of issue a complete replacement similar to snapping a driver or iron at the hosel? All major companies replace the wood for free if it breaks during normal course of play.

BUT a plastic tee going threw supposedly one of the lightest strongest materials we can manufacture is.....how you say hard to believe. Must be a 500mph swing. Like when a toothpick goes into a telephone pole in a hurricane right? I’d assume a complete full even custom order full replacement if a this crap happens. Wow

It's not going through the carbon fiber itself. It's going into the seam.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    b81smith wrote:

Carbon fiber is woven, and can be weak when it's hit from different angles. It can also be brittle, like for example when a thin piece of it is exposed at the edge where cracks can form.
    M5 9.0°, 757 
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Piretti Potenza
    Tour BX

• EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 4:24pm #77
    radiman wrote:

b81smith wrote:

EricWGolf wrote:
    Rig14Port wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

AYDOpm.md.jpg

It's not going through the carbon fiber itself. It's going into the seam.

I took that second photo. The tee went through the carbon fiber, not just in between the metal and CF at the seam. There was a hole in the CF.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not being an engineer I ask ... are there not other super light & strong materials that could be as functional as carbon fibre on the bottom of drivers? Paint it to look like CF if need be

I also recall guys were dropping their epics back into bags and hitting an iron and having the top cave in ....
    Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 5:25pm #79
    Pushing tolerances to the extreme and mix in a little bad engineering....
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 5:30pm #80
    Feel bad for those that go M5 and have issues as it appears there will be issues with this club. TM is #1 or #2 in the industry for woods, this just doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway best of luck to fellow golfers and hoping you don't have any of these issues if you go down this rabbit hole.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonding those carbon fiber surfaces to the metal sub-structure has real challenges. Mention above of the problem caused by making those composites thinner. It's also works if you make them thicker. It's a modulus of elasticity problem. My son cracked the top of the head of his M2 after about a year of use. Years ago I had one of those Loco drivers (out of a sale bin) and it eventually cracked through the graphite. I'd make a certain change to the laminate, for starters.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• RobS14526RobS14526 Members Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this has now been moved to the club making forum, what Dremel attachment are you going to use to remove the lip on your M5? Straight to the little saw blade or maybe the the laminate router attachment.

All kidding aside, I really hope it works out for all parties.
  • desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That’ll buff right out
    desaille wrote:

That’ll buff right out
    That just creates a Space port to use another mfg's wording from a few years back...remove the Tee and keep pounding it! Makes it a lot easier to add hot melt as well.
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Price you’re gonna pay for the hottest legal driver..
  • mesomikemesomike ClubWRX Posts: 548 ClubWRX
    Not surprised. There are numerous post on here about broken TaylorMade equipment, especially cracking faces. They have always seemed a little cheap to me. I bought a brand new tour issue tm hybrid from a reputable builder on this site and the weight wouldn’t slide as it was supposed to.
    G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
    Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
    Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
    Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
    718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
    Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
    Odyssey #7 putter.
    1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.
  • Here comes the BoomHere comes the Boom Members Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Stop by a GG and saw same wear on their M5 demo
  • RedbirdRedbird Members Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my M5 today and I honestly can't see how the **** you can hit that part of the club unless you take a divot with your driver. If you're one to slam your club down after a bad tee shot, I'd probably avoid that with this club.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at all the Tour WITB. These guys hit hundreds if not thousands of balls and none of the M5’s in the pics show this damage. Sure, it breaks, they get a new one and so on. I still believe the root cause of the carbon breakage is abuse.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • ToothpasteToothpaste Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Look at all the Tour WITB. These guys hit hundreds if not thousands of balls and none of the M5’s in the pics show this damage. Sure, it breaks, they get a new one and so on. I still believe the root cause of the carbon breakage is abuse.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1737994-michael-hopper-southwest-pga-section-champ-witb-2019/page__pid__18567688#entry18567688
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,052 ClubWRX
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB