Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Blades are awesome

phil gphil g Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

After using ap2s for the season I have decided on this new project. I have purchased a set of MBs and had my first range session. I am shocked by the size of them. I thought they would be smaller then the ap2 but they really aren’t. I have been drooling over them for a couple of years now and I feel like I have just enough game and plenty of ego to try them. My plan is to start as a combo set with the ap2 in the long irons (4-6) and MB in the short(7 - pw). With lots of practice I hope to work them into the long irons as well. Really excited to start this new adventure. If anybody has any tips or thoughts let me know

Comments

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy 👍 Did you get the 620's or something else?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

• TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • HaberHaber Members Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Loving my experiment with cobra mb/cb combo. Have since sold my i210's and am dumping my apex pro combo. After a few range sessions and rounds I have really come to enjoy playing them and find they don't punish me at all. A bad strike is a bad strike but my scoring average has gone down since the switch.

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to do a combo set, you should really consider doing mb/cb, not mb/ap2. They will look a lot more similar at address.

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like shiny fresh blades. Yes, blades are awesome! Enjoy!

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PorscheFan said:

Look just as good beat up too 👍

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

• TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dciccoritti said:

@PorscheFan said:

Y'know, you're right! I was just playing around with my old MP33 4i. Even old and beat up, blades just look classy!

• phil gphil g Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

I picked up a barely used set of 716 mbs. I was moving away from the ap2s (714) and had tried i200. They were good but was not blown away. That’s when I decided to go all in with the blades. Cannot wait to game them tomorrow. As far as combining goes, I only hope it to be atemporary thing till I get used to them. Can’t wait to see the look on my dads and brothers face when I beat with them.

• Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is going to sound like a no-brainer...but if you hit them in the middle of the face, they aren't a problem. If you don't, you'll be able to tell right away.
    That's some hard-hitting info right there.

TS3/9.5/HZRDUS Yellow HC 63
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    U500 3-4/EvenFlow White 100
    T100 5-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Newport 2 Tour Custom
    Pro V1
  • HeckleHeckle Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@dciccoritti said:

@PorscheFan said:

Agreed!!!

@phil g said:
    I picked up a barely used set of 716 mbs. I was moving away from the ap2s (714) and had tried i200. They were good but was not blown away. That’s when I decided to go all in with the blades. Cannot wait to game them tomorrow. As far as combining goes, I only hope it to be atemporary thing till I get used to them. Can’t wait to see the look on my dads and brothers face when I beat with them.

Nice 👍 I have them too. Let us know how it goes.

• TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 3:13pm #14

Great options for a blade blending sets being offered
    by most OEM's. and yes, Blades are awesome !!

Post edited by puttingmatt on

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 165 ClubWRX

I’m about ready to take the plunge. I have a visceral reaction to the new MP20 MB. I’ve been playing cf16 Apex Pros for the past 2 seasons. I find it really easy to talk myself out of blades, but I hit the ball plenty long and high. I don’t expect poor strikes to be rewarded. I’ve considered a blended set with them MMC, but then noticed there’s no 3-iron.

Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Blades are awesome when you can hit the 3 and 4 iron. Until then..probably not for you.

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 4:32am #18

@LaymanM said:
    Blades are awesome when you can hit the 3 and 4 iron. Until then..probably not for you.

I just play 5 down in my sets and replace the 4i with a Dhy, TMB or H5 depending on the brand of clubs I have at the time.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Taylormade R510 TP 9.5* w/ Di6X (black)
    Woods - Taylormade V-Steel 3/5 w/ 80X Kai'Li
    Hybrid - Adams Pro VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Irons - Taylormade 300 Forged 4-PW w/ Rifle 6.0
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 53/58 w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

• rufus manglerrufus mangler Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Life's too short. Play what you want.
    You just have to keep in mind blades will not help you very much. They do what they're told.

TM 2016 M2 9.5º
    TM 2016 M2 16.5º
    TM FCT Rescue 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6, 52.10f, 56.14f, Special Grind 60V
    Cleveland HB Soft 11
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 6.9
  • shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Originally got the ping i210s. Ended up checking out a Srixon fitting event because I just wasn’t crazy about the pings. Just so happened to hit the Srixon z forged and it was love at first sight. Sent the pings back on playability guarantee and purchased the z forged blades in 3-PW. Couldn’t be happier, the 4-6 irons are no problem to hit. The 3 iron looks a little small, no problems hitting off the tee, but still working on dialing it in on the fairways. Playing my most consistent golf, only real difference I’ve noticed is a bad swing is a bad swing, and will hurt you regardless of clubhead.

• Jimjam651Jimjam651 Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

I can't stop switching between my Mizuno MP 68 blades and Titleist 718 CB's, I love playing with blades! Can't stop coming back to the CB's though! Enjoy your blade journey!

Driver - Titleist 910 D3 10.5 Motore Speeder VC6.1
    3 wood - Titleist 910 F 15 Motore Speeder VC 7.1
    Hybrid - Titleist 910 H 19 Diamana Kai'li
    Irons - Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron KBS Tour
    Irons - Titleist 718 CB 4 - PW KBS Tour
    Wedges - 52 & 60 SM7
    Putter - Yes! Callie

I played the first nine with the blades this morning. I changed the setup s little and went 6-pw in the blades. I was three over and it was all due to my driving. These are amazing, I was hitting exactly where I wanted too. Once I get the yardages dialed it’s going to be even better. I am super amped right now.

• LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Congrats @philg for taking the plunge

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@phil g said:
    After using ap2s for the season I have decided on this new project. I have purchased a set of MBs and had my first range session. I am shocked by the size of them. I thought they would be smaller then the ap2 but they really aren’t. I have been drooling over them for a couple of years now and I feel like I have just enough game and plenty of ego to try them. My plan is to start as a combo set with the ap2 in the long irons (4-6) and MB in the short(7 - pw). With lots of practice I hope to work them into the long irons as well. Really excited to start this new adventure. If anybody has any tips or thoughts let me know

It's certainly workable if, the loft between the two sets could accommodate each other to maintain the proper distance gap between the two sets.
    Modern blade design has larger blade ( just under the size of player's cavity back", and you should try the 4-6 irons , there is no reason why you couldn't play the whole set.
    The AP2 is a player's cavity back design , transition from Ap1 would be tougher.

• arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

Yes they are!! I hope you enjoy them!

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Callway Apex Pro 19 (4-9)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue (46°)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw (51-56-60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

Rule #1 - Play what makes you happy, and you can afford. Everything else comes after.

For me, I grew up learning on blades. Then had a big gap when school and work took up all my time. When started again, it was with GI irons, as I was told that is what a beginner / high handicap player “should” play. Switched to Nike blades, coz they looked and felt nice, and have never looked back.

I find that going left or right is on me, but going long or short on mis-hits / pure strikes has a lot to do with iron type. I found myself going 10-20 yards beyond the green quite often with good ball striking on my old GI irons. My typical mis-hit with a blade loses distance. And since there is a usually lot more fairway BEFORE the green rather than behind it, blades actually help me on mis-hits.

@wkuo3 said:

@phil g said:

It's certainly workable if, the loft between the two sets could accommodate each other to maintain the proper distance gap between the two sets.
    Modern blade design has larger blade ( just under the size of player's cavity back", and you should try the 4-6 irons , there is no reason why you couldn't play the whole set.
    The AP2 is a player's cavity back design , transition from Ap1 would be tougher.

After this morning I think I am going to try the whole set of blades tomorrow. I still can’t believe how I was able to hit them. I started playing blades when I was a kid and I’m guessing modern blades are more forgiving

• C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

One day. One day i will listen to the urge of playing blade. I am just too cheap to buy new clubs again.

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 6:59pm #30

@golfinguru11 said:

@LaymanM said:

This is a pretty dumb statement considering most tour pros don’t even play blade 3 or 4 irons these days.

Don’t get to feeling too smart since most tour pros (close to 80%) don’t use blades at all.

Post edited by BiggErn on
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 6:05pm #31

@phil g said:

@wkuo3 said:

@phil g said:

After this morning I think I am going to try the whole set of blades tomorrow. I still can’t believe how I was able to hit them. I started playing blades when I was a kid and I’m guessing modern blades are more forgiving

If you can hit the sweet spot with the GI irons, you can do the same with the blade design.
    The sweet spot is about the same size , maybe comparing a nickel to a quarter, the difference is the forgiveness when you missed the sweet spot. Blades tend to lose a little distance and direction.
    So if you're striking the golf balls well, you can play any set of irons if matched with shafts that's within the tolerance of your ability.
    It took me a whole season to convert from cavity back ( Ping and Hogan ) to a classic blade design ( 91 Apex. For a golfer only golf during the weekends and not practice much, that's about how long it'll take me to slide into the Apex. The biggest issue will be if the sets have different shafts and/or different gaps in the individual iron's loft.
    Have fun and report back about your experience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file