***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Blades are awesome

phil g ·  
phil gphil g Members  43WRX Points: 38Handicap: 20Posts: 43 Bunkers

After using ap2s for the season I have decided on this new project. I have purchased a set of MBs and had my first range session. I am shocked by the size of them. I thought they would be smaller then the ap2 but they really aren’t. I have been drooling over them for a couple of years now and I feel like I have just enough game and plenty of ego to try them. My plan is to start as a combo set with the ap2 in the long irons (4-6) and MB in the short(7 - pw). With lots of practice I hope to work them into the long irons as well. Really excited to start this new adventure. If anybody has any tips or thoughts let me know

Posted:

Comments

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers  1708WRX Points: 405Posts: 1,708 Platinum Tees

Enjoy 👍 Did you get the 620's or something else?

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2
    • Titleist 716 MB 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX 4 52 MID | 56 FULL | 60 XLOW
    • Special Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HaberHaber Members  255WRX Points: 127Handicap: 5.5Posts: 255 Greens

Loving my experiment with cobra mb/cb combo. Have since sold my i210's and am dumping my apex pro combo. After a few range sessions and rounds I have really come to enjoy playing them and find they don't punish me at all. A bad strike is a bad strike but my scoring average has gone down since the switch.

Posted:
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members  1534WRX Points: 478Handicap: 1Posts: 1,534 Platinum Tees

If you are going to do a combo set, you should really consider doing mb/cb, not mb/ap2. They will look a lot more similar at address.

Posted:

-Cobra F8+ driver w/ Tensei pro orange -TS3 15* w/ T1100 Evenflow -818 H2 17* w/ Atmos -816 H2 19* w/ Motore Speeder -MP64's with Ctapers

-Vokeys 46.06, 52.12, 60.04/60.07 -Kari Lajosi Copper Sensor Long Neck/Kingston KP1 welded Long neck

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members  1344WRX Points: 204Handicap: 12Posts: 1,344 Platinum Tees

Nothing like shiny fresh blades. Yes, blades are awesome! Enjoy!

Posted:
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers  1708WRX Points: 405Posts: 1,708 Platinum Tees

On -, @PorscheFan said:

Look just as good beat up too 👍

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2
    • Titleist 716 MB 5-PW
    • ProV1x

Advertisement
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members  1344WRX Points: 204Handicap: 12Posts: 1,344 Platinum Tees

On -, @dciccoritti said:

On -, @PorscheFan said:

Y'know, you're right! I was just playing around with my old MP33 4i. Even old and beat up, blades just look classy!

Posted:
  • phil gphil g Members  43WRX Points: 38Handicap: 20Posts: 43 Bunkers

I picked up a barely used set of 716 mbs. I was moving away from the ap2s (714) and had tried i200. They were good but was not blown away. That’s when I decided to go all in with the blades. Cannot wait to game them tomorrow. As far as combining goes, I only hope it to be atemporary thing till I get used to them. Can’t wait to see the look on my dads and brothers face when I beat with them.

Posted:
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members  1038WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,038 Platinum Tees

This is going to sound like a no-brainer...but if you hit them in the middle of the face, they aren't a problem. If you don't, you'll be able to tell right away.
    That's some hard-hitting info right there.

Posted:
    SIM T.I./9/HZRDUS Yellow H.C. 63
    TS2/15/AD-DI 7
    TS2/17/AD-DI 85
    U510 3-U500 4/EvenFlow White 100
    T100 5-9/PX LZ
    SM8 Raw 46.10F-52.8F-58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Futura X5 Tour CT Prototype 2.5
    SC NP2 Tour CT Custom
    SC NP Tour CT Custom
    Pro V1x
  • HeckleHeckle Members  133WRX Points: 26Posts: 133 Fairways

On -, @dciccoritti said:

On -, @PorscheFan said:

Agreed!!!

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @phil g said:

I picked up a barely used set of 716 mbs. I was moving away from the ap2s (714) and had tried i200. They were good but was not blown away. That’s when I decided to go all in with the blades. Cannot wait to game them tomorrow. As far as combining goes, I only hope it to be atemporary thing till I get used to them. Can’t wait to see the look on my dads and brothers face when I beat with them.

Nice 👍 I have them too. Let us know how it goes.

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2
    • Titleist 716 MB 5-PW
    • ProV1x
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5557WRX Points: 539Handicap: 6.3 HCIPosts: 5,557 Titanium Tees

Great options for a blade blending sets being offered
    by most OEM's. and yes, Blades are awesome !!

Posted:
    Post edited by puttingmatt on

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX  172WRX Points: 52Handicap: 6Posts: 172 ClubWRX

I’m about ready to take the plunge. I have a visceral reaction to the new MP20 MB. I’ve been playing cf16 Apex Pros for the past 2 seasons. I find it really easy to talk myself out of blades, but I hit the ball plenty long and high. I don’t expect poor strikes to be rewarded. I’ve considered a blended set with them MMC, but then noticed there’s no 3-iron.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members  3217WRX Points: 832Handicap: I.Q.Posts: 3,217 Titanium Tees

Yes they are

Posted:
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2250WRX Points: 326Handicap: 7Posts: 2,250 Platinum Tees

Blades are awesome when you can hit the 3 and 4 iron. Until then..probably not for you.

Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5

Advertisement
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers  563WRX Points: 342Handicap: 5-25Posts: 563 Golden Tee

On -, @LaymanM said:

Blades are awesome when you can hit the 3 and 4 iron. Until then..probably not for you.

I just play 5 down in my sets and replace the 4i with a Dhy, TMB or H5 depending on the brand of clubs I have at the time.

Posted:
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members  1781WRX Points: 195Posts: 1,781 Platinum Tees

I agree. Life's too short. Play what you want.
    You just have to keep in mind blades will not help you very much. They do what they're told.

Posted:

Titleist 910d3 8.5 / 910f 15 (5 wd shaft) / 910h 21 (20.25), 24.0 (24) / Srixon 745 5-PW / Vokey SM6 52f (51), 56f, 60v / SC PP DelMar 3.5 or Cleveland HB 11.

Stiff shafts, GP 360's and Crossline Blacks. No glove.

• shredNECTARshredNECTAR Members  148WRX Points: 61Handicap: 11Posts: 148 Fairways

Originally got the ping i210s. Ended up checking out a Srixon fitting event because I just wasn’t crazy about the pings. Just so happened to hit the Srixon z forged and it was love at first sight. Sent the pings back on playability guarantee and purchased the z forged blades in 3-PW. Couldn’t be happier, the 4-6 irons are no problem to hit. The 3 iron looks a little small, no problems hitting off the tee, but still working on dialing it in on the fairways. Playing my most consistent golf, only real difference I’ve noticed is a bad swing is a bad swing, and will hurt you regardless of clubhead.

Posted:
  • Jimjam651Jimjam651 Members  188WRX Points: 130Posts: 188 Fairways

I can't stop switching between my Mizuno MP 68 blades and Titleist 718 CB's, I love playing with blades! Can't stop coming back to the CB's though! Enjoy your blade journey!

Posted:

Driver - Taylormade Sim 10.5 Proforce V2
    3 wood - Titleist 910 F 15 Motore Speeder VC 7.1
    Hybrid - Titleist 910 H 19 Diamana Kai'li / Mizuno MMC FliHi 3 iron
    Irons - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4 - PW KBS Tour
    Wedges - Titleist SM7 52, 56 & 60
    Putter - Yes! Callie

Advertisement

I played the first nine with the blades this morning. I changed the setup s little and went 6-pw in the blades. I was three over and it was all due to my driving. These are amazing, I was hitting exactly where I wanted too. Once I get the yardages dialed it’s going to be even better. I am super amped right now.

Posted:
  • LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members  232WRX Points: 73Posts: 232 Fairways

Congrats

On -, @philg for taking the plunge
    Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members  4374WRX Points: 390Posts: 4,374 Titanium Tees

On -, @phil g said:

After using ap2s for the season I have decided on this new project. I have purchased a set of MBs and had my first range session. I am shocked by the size of them. I thought they would be smaller then the ap2 but they really aren’t. I have been drooling over them for a couple of years now and I feel like I have just enough game and plenty of ego to try them. My plan is to start as a combo set with the ap2 in the long irons (4-6) and MB in the short(7 - pw). With lots of practice I hope to work them into the long irons as well. Really excited to start this new adventure. If anybody has any tips or thoughts let me know

It's certainly workable if, the loft between the two sets could accommodate each other to maintain the proper distance gap between the two sets.
    Modern blade design has larger blade ( just under the size of player's cavity back", and you should try the 4-6 irons , there is no reason why you couldn't play the whole set.
    The AP2 is a player's cavity back design , transition from Ap1 would be tougher.

Posted:
  • arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers  165WRX Points: 104Handicap: 3.5Posts: 165 Fairways

Yes they are!! I hope you enjoy them!

Posted:

Cobra SZ (9.5°) - Tour AD-DI 6s
    Cobra SZ (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Miura Y-Grind Blades (4-PW) - Modus 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM8 (50-54-60°)
    Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select Newport 2

• NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members  549WRX Points: 221Handicap: 12Posts: 549 Golden Tee

Rule #1 - Play what makes you happy, and you can afford. Everything else comes after.

For me, I grew up learning on blades. Then had a big gap when school and work took up all my time. When started again, it was with GI irons, as I was told that is what a beginner / high handicap player “should” play. Switched to Nike blades, coz they looked and felt nice, and have never looked back.

I find that going left or right is on me, but going long or short on mis-hits / pure strikes has a lot to do with iron type. I found myself going 10-20 yards beyond the green quite often with good ball striking on my old GI irons. My typical mis-hit with a blade loses distance. And since there is a usually lot more fairway BEFORE the green rather than behind it, blades actually help me on mis-hits.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @wkuo3 said:

On -, @phil g said:

It's certainly workable if, the loft between the two sets could accommodate each other to maintain the proper distance gap between the two sets.
    Modern blade design has larger blade ( just under the size of player's cavity back", and you should try the 4-6 irons , there is no reason why you couldn't play the whole set.
    The AP2 is a player's cavity back design , transition from Ap1 would be tougher.

After this morning I think I am going to try the whole set of blades tomorrow. I still can’t believe how I was able to hit them. I started playing blades when I was a kid and I’m guessing modern blades are more forgiving

Posted:
  • C_radC_rad QuebecMembers  2772WRX Points: 133Handicap: 7Posts: 2,772 Titanium Tees

One day. One day i will listen to the urge of playing blade. I am just too cheap to buy new clubs again.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2936WRX Points: 797Posts: 2,936 Titanium Tees

On -, @golfinguru11 said:

On -, @LaymanM said:

This is a pretty dumb statement considering most tour pros don’t even play blade 3 or 4 irons these days.

Don’t get to feeling too smart since most tour pros (close to 80%) don’t use blades at all.

Posted:
    Post edited by BiggErn on

Advertisement
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members  4374WRX Points: 390Posts: 4,374 Titanium Tees

On -, @phil g said:

On -, @wkuo3 said:

On -, @phil g said:

After this morning I think I am going to try the whole set of blades tomorrow. I still can’t believe how I was able to hit them. I started playing blades when I was a kid and I’m guessing modern blades are more forgiving

If you can hit the sweet spot with the GI irons, you can do the same with the blade design.
    The sweet spot is about the same size , maybe comparing a nickel to a quarter, the difference is the forgiveness when you missed the sweet spot. Blades tend to lose a little distance and direction.
    So if you're striking the golf balls well, you can play any set of irons if matched with shafts that's within the tolerance of your ability.
    It took me a whole season to convert from cavity back ( Ping and Hogan ) to a classic blade design ( 91 Apex. For a golfer only golf during the weekends and not practice much, that's about how long it'll take me to slide into the Apex. The biggest issue will be if the sets have different shafts and/or different gaps in the individual iron's loft.
    Have fun and report back about your experience.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.