MP20s vs P790s

Ralphyboy84

So I went for a fitting tonight. In my head before I went in I was set between the MP20s, the JPX 919 Tours and would maybe try out the Apex Pros.

I loved the MP20s, hate the 919 tours and the apex pros were a bit meh. Then I tried out the P790s just for a giggle whilst I was there. Wow. Is that a hot iron.

Anyways I was looking for advice on what I should do next. Before the fitting, I was looking more towards more traditionally lifted irons. I wanted a set where the gaps between my irons would be a bit smaller and that my impression is with newer, hotter irons is that the gap between clubs is bigger (I admit I may be wrong on this).

However after the fitting, I was just amazed at how far the P790s went. A full 10 yards further than the MP20s and 5 yards further than my current set. The dilemma I feel

I have now is 10 yards is a lot to give up. However, when you look at the lofts, the P790 7 iron is practically the MP20 6 iron (although the P790 7 iron actually spun slightly higher than the MP20 7 iron which I was surprised with).

Something else to further complicate my dilemma is I play my golf at a Scottish links course, where I can regularly be playing in cold, 2-3 club wind conditions. That 6-7 mph difference in ball speed would come in hugely handy then.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Has anyone else had to make a similar decision recently?

The lofts scared me at first too, but remember as long as you are launching them high enough it won't be an issue. The previous post about the HMB if you want mizuno could be a good option. I personally like the P790's a lot, just got them but took little to time to adjust for me. I really like hitting less club into greens, and they are sooooo straight. I personally think that are on the cusp of traditional lofts vs "jacked" lofts will go away.... its all trending to that loft package now.

I post in a lot of threads with this argument. I personally prefer higher lofted irons without tech that increases ballspeeds. The thing is, everyone is different and playing their own game. I'm a strong younger guy and my weak 9 iron hit smoothly is my 150 carry club. For a lot of people I play with, a 7 iron is their 150 club. If that was me, no chance I'd give up the extra distance of a club like the P790 IF I was still retaining spin and control. With your results (that I would recommend checking again and refitting as you can get very different numbers day to day) I think that the P790 would be great. Assuming the spin stays higher and assumably so does the peak height and descent angle, that fit is a no brainer. Another thing is gapping. For me, if I hit a 47 or 48 degree PW as my 135-140 carry club, I would start to get into major gapping problems if I moved to a set like T200 or something else with a 43-44 degree PW. Either I add a wedge or take a longer club out as I like to work off a 60 degree lob wedge. If your distances are more compressed off say a 120 yard PW, then that dilemma is not really there. All in all I'd take the distance if the rest of the package (look, feel, performance on different shots, and gapping) is there for you as well.

I am guessing that you hit the 790 a lot higher when comparing a similar lofted blade.

So I haven’t played there yet but I always hear that on an old windy Scottish golf course a high ball might not be your friend.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I always seem to hit MBs higher than strong lofted GI irons. I suppose it has something to do with my delivery.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I went into my local Golf Town fully expecting to purchase either the HMB or P790 thinking it was going to be very close. It wasn't. The P790s for my game were just plain better in every aspect including feel. My last week with them I've been shooting the lowest I've shot all year. Unless your ball striking is the best part of your game, stick to something more forgiving.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

> @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

> I went into my local Golf Town fully expecting to purchase either the HMB or P790 thinking it was going to be very close. It wasn't. The P790s for my game were just plain better in every aspect including feel. My last week with them I've been shooting the lowest I've shot all year. Unless your ball striking is the best part of your game, stick to something more forgiving.

+1 to this. I had the "ah ha" moment when I realized I needed to go to a more forgiving bag. Why wouldn't you want a forgiving golf setup!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

@Ralphyboy84 for the concern with the wind too. I played a course in West Texas with about 15-20mph winds with the P790s and had no issue flighting the ball down

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

P790's are great irons, but have always been way too long for me.

I like a 47* PW that carries 140 yards, I was 2 clubs longer w/ everything in the P790 set vs. my VR Pro's.

No use for a 205 yard 7 iron, but i definitely get the attraction for people who need that distance increase. As high as they fly and w/ a nice descent angle, they're a game changer in the right bag.

If you have speed, then 790's should be fine. I switched out of them though because I did experience the flier issue some others have found. Essentially, my set seemed to be "Extra" fast when struck a little bit high on the face. This mainly came into play when the ball sat up in the rough or when teed up on par 3's. Otherwise a really great set of irons, super forgiving.

Perhaps consider P760s? They feel pretty soft and also have the hollow design/speed foam in the 4,5, and 6i but have less offset and a thinner top line. Also, the sole interaction is much better. If I manage to improve my striking a little more and get my HC down into the mid single digits, I plan to grab a set.

> @Ralphyboy84 said:

> So I went for a fitting tonight. In my head before I went in I was set between the MP20s, the JPX 919 Tours and would maybe try out the Apex Pros.

>

> I loved the MP20s, hate the 919 tours and the apex pros were a bit meh. Then I tried out the P790s just for a giggle whilst I was there. Wow. Is that a hot iron.

>

> Anyways I was looking for advice on what I should do next. Before the fitting, I was looking more towards more traditionally lifted irons. I wanted a set where the gaps between my irons would be a bit smaller and that my impression is with newer, hotter irons is that the gap between clubs is bigger (I admit I may be wrong on this).

>

> However after the fitting, I was just amazed at how far the P790s went. A full 10 yards further than the MP20s and 5 yards further than my current set. The dilemma I feel

> I have now is 10 yards is a lot to give up. However, when you look at the lofts, the P790 7 iron is practically the MP20 6 iron (although the P790 7 iron actually spun slightly higher than the MP20 7 iron which I was surprised with).

>

> Something else to further complicate my dilemma is I play my golf at a Scottish links course, where I can regularly be playing in cold, 2-3 club wind conditions. That 6-7 mph difference in ball speed would come in hugely handy then.

>

> What’s everyone’s thoughts? Has anyone else had to make a similar decision recently?

MP20's and 790's are two different beasts. The HMB-20's are closer to what the 790's are.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > What shafts were in each club? I believe the MP20's come with DG S300 stock and the P790's come with DG 105 stock.

>

> DG 105 is an S300 too maybe just a little lighter.

26g is more than just a little. Different bend profile also. Maybe the 105's in the MP-20's might be just what he's looking for ;-)

Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate the feedback. In terms of trajectory there was next to no difference. They both flighted almost identically. In terms of distance the P790s were coming out at 180, the MP20s were 170. For shafts, the P790s were S300s, which helped keep the spin up a bit, and the MP20s were modus 120 x.

Here’s the track man data:

fv73ddoeli7l.jpeg

19vvwr1l8nlw.jpeg

I was actually able to try the P790s again tonight. They really are a tremendous club. I’m still totally split though. I’m still just really concerned the P790s go too far, but then I think about the conditions I play in most of the time and think how beneficial it would be. But then I also think that as a lower handicap I would benefit from the potential consistency of the MP20s but you only get that consistency when hitting it well. Not when it’s off center.

Ahhhh it’s such a minefield!!

The thing I didn’t like about the original 790’s was the drastic difference in feel between the 4-7 vs. the 8-GW. So far, the HMB’s I’ve tested are softer and more consistent through the set. But, before I make a final decision, I want to try the new 790’s vs. the HMB. If I had to decide today, it’d be the HMB’S. I loved the flight and consistency in length and dispersion.

I am a Mizuno guy first, club ho second. I have 919 Tours. Went to get MP20 mixed set of P-7 blades, 6-4 HMB. Hit the new P790s. Long story short, I now have a set of P790s. They were better looking, performance, and a different but cool, holy cow I crushed that responsive feel. I didn't like the size of HMB. they feel great tho

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S

Ping 4Hybrid
Ping BPS Pro Modus 105s 4-PW

SM9 black 50, 56. Wedgeworks 60 T 

SC Kombi S 

> @Ralphyboy84 said:

> Here’s the track man data:

>

> fv73ddoeli7l.jpeg

> 19vvwr1l8nlw.jpeg

>

According to the charts your club head speed, ball speed, and carry distance where all more consistent with the p790, and that means your distances are more consistent with them. The rest of the differences (angle of attack, path, and face to path) are results of variances in your setup and swings, not the clubs themselves.

You may have heard the saying the better your speed on putts the less you are going to end up three putting. Likewise the better your distance control (aka distance consistency) the more greens you are going to hit, the shorter your putts will be, and the more opportunity you will have to shoot a lower score.

If you're concerned about hitting a shot too far grip down like Serigo Garcia or Brooke Henderson, and you'll automatically hit it shorter.

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

> @ZPrime said:

> I am a Mizuno guy first, club ho second. I have 919 Tours. Went to get MP20 mixed set of P-7 blades, 6-4 HMB. Hit the new P790s. Long story short, I now have a set of P790s. They were better looking, performance, and a different but cool, holy cow I crushed that responsive feel. I didn't like the size of HMB. they feel great tho

Did you like the hmb?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Just had a fitting today. My usual 6 iron is 170 yards, the P790s were going 195. If you hit it low it really goes even further. I hit the HMBs very well, much more consistently , slightly longer than my z765s.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

”According to the charts your club head speed, ball speed, and carry distance where all more consistent with the p790“

Look at that data again....

The Head Speed, Ball Speed and Carry Distance were all more consistent with the MP20’s NOT the P790’s.

(Post changed to remove “HMB” and correctly state “MP20’s”)

Some players find those hot-faced clubs are problematic on the golf course in terms of managing distances. Not as big a fan of the 790 as others. Yes it is hot but to me that gets overplayed more than putting it close to the pin. The 585 also is hot, so is the Cally Rogue, HMB, Ping i500, etc. For me clubs like those are best as hybrid/long iron replacements. There are lots of options between the blades and the 790-type irons. The MP20 MMC is one I would look at if you are seeking a blend of the attributes that have you testing the MP20 and 790 in the first place. Very consistent and plenty long enough. Or the TM 760, which to me is the best iron TM offers. Also very consistent and precise. It brings the distance in a compact shape and sole that has a lot of appeal.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Guys just to clarify, it is not the MP20 HMBs I’ve been hitting, it’s the MP20 blades.

> @ZPrime said:

> I am a Mizuno guy first, club ho second. I have 919 Tours. Went to get MP20 mixed set of P-7 blades, 6-4 HMB. Hit the new P790s. Long story short, I now have a set of P790s. They were better looking, performance, and a different but cool, holy cow I crushed that responsive feel. I didn't like the size of HMB. they feel great tho

How did you like the MP20 blades/hmb convo? Was there a big gap between your 7 iron and 6 iron?

Also, did you find when you changed to the P790s a big gap between the PW and your other wedges?

Guys just to clarify, it is not the MP20 HMBs I’ve been hitting, it’s the MP20 blades

That’s even more impressive. Obviously the choice is yours. I too will give the second gen 790’s a go. But, I didn’t care for the first generation in the 8-P for feel. They just seemed dead and short compared to the 4-7i.

Remember, you can have the HMB’s and/or the MB’s adjusted for loft to help in the gapping. I’m playing the JPX 919 Tours right now. I have a set of MP18 MB’s in 5-P. After 6 months of the 919’s, I see more and more that feel is very important to me. The MP18’s just seem softer and have more power than the 919’s.

So, I’m looking at selling off the 919’s and getting the HMB’s in 4-6 or 7i to complement the MP18’s on my “off days”. I already have the 18’s set in modern lofts. So, I don’t expect any issues in blending them to the lofts of the HMB’s.

> @Soccerrick10 said:

> Guys just to clarify, it is not the MP20 HMBs I’ve been hitting, it’s the MP20 blades

>

> That’s even more impressive. Obviously the choice is yours. I too will give the second gen 790’s a go. But, I didn’t care for the first generation in the 8-P for feel. They just seemed dead and short compared to the 4-7i.

>

> Remember, you can have the HMB’s and/or the MB’s adjusted for loft to help in the gapping. I’m playing the JPX 919 Tours right now. I have a set of MP18 MB’s in 5-P. After 6 months of the 919’s, I see more and more that feel is very important to me. The MP18’s just seem softer and have more power than the 919’s.

>

> So, I’m looking at selling off the 919’s and getting the HMB’s in 4-6 or 7i to complement the MP18’s on my “off days”. I already have the 18’s set in modern lofts. So, I don’t expect any issues in blending them to the lofts of the HMB’s.

The more I think about it the more I think a combo set would work best. MP20 blades P-7 then HMBs 6-4 potentially. That’s interesting I can get the lofts tweaked for gaping purposes. Never thought of that!