New Suit....?

Warrick

I haven't had any occasions to need a suit in a while, been lucky, but have a few things coming up, need to grab a new one.

Do you guys go in for a tailored one? Anyone bought a suit from Bonobos? I have no worries getting the right pant fit from them, would just need to sort out the jacket.

Any other suggestions appreciated. I am not looking to spend $1500.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have what I would call hmmmm, a normative body....i haven't found the need for a tailored suit

I have 15+ , most of them Tommy or Ralph lauren that I got from discount stores as clearance, year old models etc... in my generic size.

I wouldn't spend a ton on a suit unless it's really your thing. Most people really dont know the difference. Ironically one of the ones I get complimented on the most is a no-name brand I got for under 100$.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @bscinstnct said:

> https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/home

>

> This place is good. Entry level is around 500 but they have some super 150 wool suits for 999. Cut is pretty fitted.

I got a suit from Suit Supply as well and really like it. I got their basic Navy suit for $399 and its been very solid for the occasional wedding.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Aren't you not far from or in Des Moines? Tons of great options at all price points. So many variables and all a matter of taste so no idea what kind or what purpose or your sense of "flair", lol.

Rarely wear suits now (used to every day to work and on Sundays) and as of the last two years can fit into some nice ones I couldn't wear for a few years from my favorite stores in Des Moines and Iowa City (all three now long closed unfortunately). Never ordered one online - probably works great for some people's sizing but I want the right rise in the trousers, want to know the store will stand behind the alterations, and jackets can be sometimes be tricky - off the rack can be perfect and then again, not. Back in the day at Reichardts if you were a good customer they'd often throw in a nice tie or a nice shirt depending on what all you bought during a visit - those days are gone . . . .

I did own one from Jos. A Bank that was pretty basic, they did a great job with having it fit, bought it years ago and pretty much wore it out - sooner or later their nicest ones are on sale at good prices, others at lower prices, just have to watch. Lots of good options in their higher quality suits and you can get a feel online for what the options are. They used to have a tailor onsite but may not anymore, don't know about that. Good options and quality at Von Maur. A little higher end, but nowhere near $1500 go see "Mac" at Mr. B's. Higher than that but not $1500 I guess Badowers, but I stopped in there last spring and it's not what it used to be.

For a basic suit, a person can't go wrong with Jos A Bank. Their clearance online suits start off at under $100. The reason I mention the bargain basement stuff is because hardly anyone wears suits or sports coats and ties anymore. The cheapest, most ill fitting dress suits and coats will evoke compliments in our ball cap t shirt society. I bought several from JAB, very good quality for the money.

I was a self employed CPA for most of my career. I abandoned wearing suits thirty years ago. I always wore what was considered Ivy casual, navy blazer, OCBD shirt, tie, and khaki trousers. Compliment that with grey flannel trousers, and I was dressed for almost any occasion.

Thrift stores are a good place to buy great quality sports coats and blazers. I've bought literally new jackets for $5, jackets originally costing in the several hundreds. Since no one wears dress clothes anymore, nice stuff just sits in closets until it is donated.

Anyhow, a little advice from an old guy. When I was young, I wouldn't be caught dead in a thrift store jacket. Back then, suits and sports coats were the norm, and what may have been available at Goodwill was worn out, stained and tattered. Now, exactly the opposite.

As MtlJeff said "Most people really don't know the difference."

Unless you're an attorney, or in high finance, $1,500 suits are a waste.

I might go Bonobos, as I know the pant fit, and they told me I could order a couple jackets and send back what did not fit. They have nice looking stretch wool suits for about $500, and I have a 20% code.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I don't think Bonobos would be a worry, I've heard they are good as well. Another thing to consider is getting a very nice tie, which always seems to be the attention getter. Nothing weird, just classy, people just seem to notice a great tie. That's something I would want to pick out somewhere in person. I'm sure you'll look very dapper, when it's all said and done...

My last suit for my son's wedding was a department store model that I bought off the rack, no alterations. It's a Calvin Klein model that sells as separates which is nice for getting a good fit in both pant and jacket if you happen to have a leaner build. It was on sale for 40% off as I recall so it came all in at about $350 for a quality light weight wool suit. You can change things up quite nicely with a couple of different shirt/tie combinations. Btween a basic wool suit and a blue blazer with a couple of pairs of slacks you can have a different combination for three weeks straight with no more than a half dozen shirts and a few bold, well chosen ties

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

of course, Bonobos throws up 25% off anything over $175 just now......

Looking at these 2.

https://bonobos.com/bundles/daily-grind-suit-charcoal?color=charcoal

https://bonobos.com/bundles/jetsetter-stretch-wool-suit-grey?color=grey

The top one is $300 with the code.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Far be it for me to offer any fashion advice. Wear whatever floats your boat. But when I was still a working stiff, invested in two "good" suits. A dark navy (if a man is to have but one suit) and medium light gray. Nothing custom tailored, or remotely close to $1500, don't remember what "brands" they are without looking. But of good light weight 100% wool cloth, without any pattern. Conservatively tailored, with medium wide lapels. Believe a double vent suit coat looks classier, single vents are best left for blazers. No cuffs to the pants, with the length hemmed for a slight break at the shoe top. Bunching at the shoe looks sloppy. A timeless, classic look that never goes out of style imho. Change the look by use of shirt and tie. Although when dressing to the 9's, I don't venture far from a white shirt with a Park Avenue medium spread collar because I prefer a smaller tie knot. And wear with a quality pair of black laced dress shoes. Covers any occasion or time of year when I need to dress appropriately. Regular cleaning and pressing, with correct hanging, and they still look like new. Then again, only wear a suit a couple times a year (weddings and funerals) these days.

Don't have to over think it to be well dressed. Let your suit make a statement by being understated.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Hickey Freeman on sale I've found to be the best value. Full canvas, not fused, not overly trendy, and once it's altered to really fit me, I'm a huge fan.

A HF main line suit (NOT the "Hickey" by Hickey Freeman) on sale plus alterations should be well under your $1500 number and will be timeless and worth every $.

Start with a nice navy blue, then something in grey or charcoal. Never a black suit unless you run a funeral home.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

It was like a tailor came to my house and made this suit for me. Bonobos makes a nice suit, not sure I could beat it for $300. Inseam, waist, jacket all the way through with perfect sleeve length.

Don't hesitate if you are looking, probably more black Friday deals coming. I want a dress shirt from them.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I know this is not of interest to most, but been working remotely and out of office dress for 10 years, and the suit I own is almost 20 years old, looks like a box.

I looked for the best deals I could find, hate cheap looking stuff, and won't need another for quit a while I assume, went middle of road.

Bonobos daily grind charcoal- saved $100, paid $300 - perfect fit

Bonobos daily grind white textured semi spread collar, no pocket, blue houndstooth silk tie normally $98 each, $135 for both with BF sale - be here Friday

J&M Melton Cap Toe black, got from Zappos this morning for $50 off retail - $128 - be here Friday.

shoes, shirt tie, all free return/exchange if needed.

I am not getting a new driver in 2020, so about a wash at $550.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I have 2 bonobos suits. I have tried on a lot of suits: suit supply, hickey freeman, etc. The bonobos suit is the lightest and most comfortable suit I have ever tried on. It's perfect fitting too. Not to mention the stretch in it is what all modern suits should have

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

I got the shirt and tie yesterday, again everything is spot on, couldn’t be happier with quality and fit of everything. I ordered 2 more pairs of golf pants also, place is killing me....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I’m not even over the hill yet, but in today’s corporate world, it seems like most of these kids that wear their little sisters jeggings really love to buy their hipster suits in the men’s section at places like h&m and forever 21.

And all the high level board room guys are over suits completely, and show up in a blazer and some khakis. If they need a suit, it’s always a travel suit.

investing in expensive suits seem dead to me unless your a car salesman or work on Wall Street.

FYI, bonobos has a 35% sale going on... not sure if its over already. i am also a huge fan. makes clothes shopping easy for men. they have 4 fits and then you just solve for basic measurements (waist, length, etc.) but basically the 4 fits seem to encompass most body types for really skinny to big and everything in between. all my work pants are from there nowadays because its so simple to shop, just need to decide on color.

Yeah, sale is over, thank goodness.....

i bought a suit, dress shirt, tie, 4 pairs of pants and a wool top coat. Suit is in , perfect, rest is coming today, stuff is nice.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I was about to go down that road, need a slim cut, but figured with the free exchanges and returns, would give it a shot, especially with the sale.

I am not sure a tailor in my house could make a better fit, same with the 5 pocket tech golf pants.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Ive had expensive suit phases and probably won’t do it again any time soon.

When Im on work that requires me to regularly wear suits, I don’t want expensive ones because there’s too much wear and tear. I’ve never had any luck with the adage that you should buy nice suits and they’ll last forever. Pants wear out relatively quickly. You forget stuff some place when traveling. You tear something.

At one point a few years ago I bought two expensive suits, and within 3 months I forgot one jacket in a hotel room and irreparably ripped the other pants. I couldn’t get replacements because the colors didn’t quite match. Expensive mistakes.

I’ve since started using suit separates so I can buy 2 or 3 pairs of pants for every jacket. Before that I was accumulating an entire closet of jackets with no matching pants because they wore out or tore or got a stain or any other of number things.

I ended up buying a suit, shirt, silk tie, and wool top coat during the Bonobos sale, retail was $1000, paid $650, then another $85 cash back from Rakuten. Looks fantastic, everything fits perfect.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x