***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

States with the most zoysia?

Irishman1979 ·  
Irishman1979Irishman1979 Members  310WRX Points: 116Posts: 310 Greens

Which states currently plant zoysia?

Posted:

Comments

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2678WRX Points: 537Handicap: 11Posts: 2,678 Titanium Tees

The 6 months I live in VA, I play a P.B. Dye course in Stafford County called The Gauntlet. BEAUTIFUL zoysia fairways. Fawn Lake CC west of Fredericksburg is zoysia as well. So, Virginia grows it.

Posted:
    • Cobra Max 10.5*
    • The Perfect Club 21
    • Callaway BB 7h
    • PING Eye 2+ 7-SW
    • Odyssey VLine
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mjbfybmjbfyb Members  453WRX Points: 272Posts: 453 Greens

Missouri is pretty much all zoysia. There are a few with bent but not many.

Posted:
  • BigarchBigarch Herrin, ILMembers  697WRX Points: 285Handicap: 5.4Posts: 697 Golden Tee

It's pretty much a midwest "Transition Zone" grass. Lots of courses in the St. Louis Metro area are zoysia. In relationship to St. Louis, you see it from about Springfield Illinois going south to Memphis, Tennessee. That area has ultra high humidity and heat in the summer which is bad for bent and other cool weather grasses. Normally, that would mean go with Bermuda fairways but that same area can have very harsh winters and that's horrible for Bermuda plus it can be very late coming out of being dormant...often as late as June! So that's why many of the courses in this area go with zoysia grass.

Posted:
    • Driver - Cobra King F9 UST Helium 50size]
    • Fairway - Taylormade M4 16HL* Fujikura Atmos Red
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 stock shaft +1"
    • 4-PW- Callaway Epic 4-PW Project X LV 5.5 Shafts +1"
    • Wedges - 48. 54, 60 Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Apollo MatchFlex Wedge Shaft +1"
    • Putter - Cleveland Classic Huntington Beach #10 - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Sonar Midsize
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, FloridaMembers  1986WRX Points: 720Posts: 1,986 Platinum Tees

It’s grown literally all over the world. There’s wall to wall zoysia course in Florida and California. Projects in Australia and Singapore too. Blade runner Farms is one of the best zoysia sod producers in the world, their site has a list of their projects being built and those that are done.

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

Ky. Pretty heavy here. Bent/cool season fairways are only at higher end privates and/or the very northernmost part of the state.

In the south/southwest part of the state there are a few courses with bermuda greens now.

Posted:
  • Irishman1979Irishman1979 Members  310WRX Points: 116Posts: 310 Greens

Glad to hear the feedback. Every time I play on Zoysia I believe it’s the best grass you can play off of. Reason being is when you have pitch and chop shots around the greens and when you are in the fairway the ball sits up so nicely almost like it’s teed up.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • exgolfproexgolfpro Members  875WRX Points: 164Posts: 875 Golden Tee

I am in Missouri and play on Zoysia. Our fairways are perfect all summer. FWIW, I remember one of the golf announcers (Faldo maybe?) saying Zoysia makes everyone a better chipper. I think he is right, the ball sits up like its on a tee most times. But I've noticed when I go play other courses with different grasses, my contact isnt as good. So cushy lies make you lazy.

Posted:
    Post edited by exgolfpro on
    Posted:
  • jkinger89jkinger89 Members  107WRX Points: 79Posts: 107 Fairways

Bellerive ('18 PGA) had zoysia fairways. Idk what regular tour stops have zoysia though. I've always heard that a lot of pros don't like it because they catch a lot of flyers with short and mid irons.

Posted:
  • exgolfproexgolfpro Members  875WRX Points: 164Posts: 875 Golden Tee

I wish I could remember when it was. It was either 2019 or 2018. Was it possibly Bellerive and the PGA championship? I thought it was during a major, and that would be the only one I can think may have zoysia.

Posted:
  • maga_golfermaga_golfer Members  383WRX Points: 67Posts: 383 Greens

East Lake (Tour Championship) has Zoysia fairways. Atlanta Athletic Club had it in 2011 for the PGA Championship.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BigarchBigarch Herrin, ILMembers  697WRX Points: 285Handicap: 5.4Posts: 697 Golden Tee

I think the Memphis tour stop is played on Zoysia. Could be wrong on that. It is nice to play on. I learned the game playing on it. The one knock I have heard from better players is that the ball sits up so good on it that you can either hit flyer type shots or the opposite...shots too high on the face and the ball knuckles with little spin and comes up short.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13207WRX Points: 4,331Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,207 Titanium Tees

We have a little of it on the South end of the beach at some of the Pawleys Island courses. first time I ever saw it believe it or not was in Wisconsin many years ago. And I hit a slider up the face just like you described but for me when I hit that type of slider I spin the ball more than usual. But I adapted quickly around the green up there I played a little clipper bump and run with the 8 iron. Full shots I learned how to nip it

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana
    FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts
    SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft
    Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members  1953WRX Points: 309Posts: 1,953 Platinum Tees

I'm from Georgia and the vast majority of courses I play in the state have Zoysia fairways. It's definitely not the predominant fairway grass in the state. I know of a lot of clubs that don't have it, but I don't play those courses, or I don't know any members at them. It seems like more and more clubs around the state are switching every year.

Posted:

The word "nip" can be a real understatement on that stuff. You can sure juice one hard with a wedge. When you do, your emotions go real fast from feeling good to feeling dread because you KNOW that ball is going to zip right off the front of the green. I can remember the first time it ever happened to me when I was learning to play the game. Backed one off of the green and into the water in front of the green on a par 5. Went from "FAR OUT" to "G-Ditt" in about 2 seconds...lol

Posted:

Yes the ball spins the most around the greens off Zoysia for sure. I absolutely lobe that compared to other grasses.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX  9191WRX Points: 304Handicap: +2.5Posts: 9,191 ClubWRX

Trinity Forest implemented its own new zoysia strain.

Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • mjbfybmjbfyb Members  453WRX Points: 272Posts: 453 Greens

In the Feherty episode with Phil, he runs down how he calculates his yardages. He adds 5 yards when playing on zoysia because of how the ball sits up.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4813WRX Points: 1,889Posts: 4,813 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

You need to come play some wet green surrounds where you need to play into the grain of the grass. Not fun and chunk city is near.

Posted:
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members  13207WRX Points: 4,331Handicap: 5.0Posts: 13,207 Titanium Tees

Been a long time since I played there probably 12 years or so----- Last time I played it was at a Grand Strand Tour event and that tour has been defunct some 9 or 10 years now

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13984WRX Points: 1,537Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,984 Titanium Tees

A lot of Missouri and Kansas courses have it for fairway grass. It's hard to kill the stuff in the summer when it's hot, the only issue is it does stay dormant till the temps get into the 70's.

As someone else said, it does make you lazy, going to a bent course is an adjustment, you have to re-learn to hit down through it more instead of just picking it.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Yep that was what I was talking about earlier because I hit a trap cut and spin the ball a lot with the wedges 9 and 8 irons. For some reason when I hit one of those slide up the face jobs I get a lot of spin. I can remember when the Srixon balls first came out I could peel one in a few shots with a 588 wedge. I hit a slider off of Zoysa one day down at Founders Club and it was a face slider. Shredded that brand new ball. I had just put that ball in play and had hit just the drive with it. Backed it off the green into a trap. Of course we were playing a "down match" and I had to play that haired up thing out of the trap. After that it was toast. Quit playing Srixon balls of that generation after that. In fact threw that ball into the woods after that hole

Posted:

• Lefty_3JackLefty_3Jack St. LouisMembers  1636WRX Points: 181Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,636 Platinum Tees

I say that playing on zoysia makes you a worse player as it's easier to play off of. It's like playing off of carpet. If you play zoysia fairways in the dead of summer and then go play bent it will humble you.

I'm guessing that the reason it's used in the upper part of transition zones because the springs aren't warm enough to wake up bermuda. The reason it's not used as much in the south when compared to bermuda I'll take a stab and say zoysia is more expensive than bermuda.

You'd think that when grown out it would be a really thick rough to tackle, but the ball just sits up no matter how long the **** it. Bermuda and fescue rough is much scarier.

Posted:
    In search of solid contact...

Anyone know why any courses in northern or central Illinois choose bent over Zoysia? Wouldn’t Zoysia actually be a good choice just as much as bent grass? Summers are hot AF around in Northern Illinois.

Posted:
  • BNGLBNGL Jupiter, FloridaMembers  1986WRX Points: 720Posts: 1,986 Platinum Tees

Cost and availability, probably not so much the latter anymore but definitely cost.

Posted:

Advertisement

Plenty are, in fact there’s quite a few that are only zoysia. Tiger’s Bluejack National (L1F/Zeon), His Airness’ The Grove XXIII (Zeon/Meyer?), Trinity Forest (Trinity Zoysia), Jacks Bay will be zoysia, the Olympic Course is zoysia, Hyde Park in Ohio has Zoysia Japonica in their fairways.

Posted:

Edit to post above. The Grove XXIII will be Trinity(greens and tees) and zeon zoysia everywhere else.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2656WRX Points: 1,668Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,656 ClubWRX

Golf Club of Texas right across the street has zoysia fairways and greens. Fairways are OK, but greens not so much.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X in yellow

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.