PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

tigerfan23

can somebody directly compare the 0311T irons to AP2?

Just got into a set of 714 AP2s after returning the Gen 1 0311Ts... These are very similar irons to me, but I am finding the AP2 better through the turf and misses less punishing. Feel is comparable between the two with maybe the 0311T getting the nod for looks down by the ball. The PXGs look fantastic, but performance wise were underwhelming for me. The AP2 have always been pretty trustworthy for me.

I agree with you as all I can say about PXG is they are different but not over whelming better than PINGS, Mizuno, TM, Callaway. What is it with all those screws, do you each weigh different? Why not put 10 screws in instead of 9, go with an even number as that is 9 odd and so are they.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

A try ? Yes. But no.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

When is birdiebob going to realize that his constant posts about about pxg are actually driving people away? Seriously man, give it a rest.... we get it, you get paid.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

When is birdiebob going to realize that his constant posts about about pxg are actually driving people away? Seriously man, give it a rest.... we get it, you get paid.

While I do have PXG equipment, I do NOT get paid to post anything about PXG.

Just simply a PXG fanboy!! :D

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Bob, when are you going to realize that only negative comments about PXG are allowed in PXG threads? Shame!!!

I recently got a set of PXG 0311t thru the hero program and in my opinion are the best heads that are hollow or gel filled that I’ve tried. (790s and tmb). Now before you think I’m just saying it because I have a set, I’ve only got three rounds in with them and pretty sure they won’t be staying. They are super easy to hit and feel soft, however I keep thinking of my blades when I’m on the course with them. I am going to give them one more round but I’m 90% sure I’m going back to my baby blades. Don’t get me wrong, the irons preformed great and probably would help my handicap a little but I just love blades.

To be fair, even if I ditch the 0311t, i will pick up a gen 2 driving iron which I can’t get through the hero’s program.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Got my used set today. They look awesome. They are 1/2" over so I need to get them cut down before playing but I am excited :)

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

Got my used set today. They look awesome. They are 1/2" over so I need to get them cut down before playing but I am excited :)

Keep in mind that if you cut them down, the swing weight will also change.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Are those mine? SW won't change that much at all

It’ll change about 3 swing weight points. That is noticeable. That could go from D2 to C9.

That could affect the way the shaft plays (stiffer) and will affect lie angle as well.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Swing weight I get, but won't the shaft be playing soft to flex in its over length condition and come back to standard when cut to standard length?

Yes sir. They are. You are a pleasure to do business with! Thank you :)

Are those mine? SW won't change that much at all

Swing weight I get, but won't the shaft be playing soft to flex in its over length condition and come back to standard when cut to standard length?

If pxg made them correctly, then the +1/2 would be trimmed to be true to flex at that length. So, trimming it could make them stiff to flex.

Some weight would need to be added back to get them to correct sw and flex. Work with a knowledgeable club builder in your area to get them correct to your specs.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Keep in mind that if you cut them down, the swing weight will also change.

I was told by my clubfitter that 1 inch cut on steel shafts will equate to 3-5 SW points so half inch would be closer to 2 SW points. You can do lighterweight grips or tungsten powder to get SW back from what I was told.

If you don't want to pull the head to add tip weight to get the proper SW then the screw weights can be changed with heavier ones to get it done.

If you don't want to pull the head to add tip weight to get the proper SW then the screw weights can be changed with heavier ones to get it done.

Thanks bob!!! I was trying to find the old thread where joe kwok was saying 1/2= 3 points, but you beat me to it.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I get that. I’m a fanboy for Titleist and Mizuno.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I ordered a set of 0311 gen 1s recently, think they've run out of the now. I am really liking the irons, definitely pleased with my purchase and the price with steel fiber shafts was comparable to other major brands.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

> @kgeorge78 said:

> > @ssfranny said:

> > Why not get Gen1 for fraction of price. Theyre starting to run out of gen1 I believe the original 0311 in RH is sold out they still have 0311T

>

> because I have a sever mental block about not having the latest and greatest. I am a marketers dream

>

Glad to know I'm not the only one :smiley:

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @EKELLY said:

> I'd buy a set in a heartbeat, if I actually thought the clubs were responsible for how I play. They are not!.......LOL

You have just ruined my reasons for being here. New clubs do make the difference. Now take it back.

Lol

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

• 2 weeks later...

The 0311P are very nice. I have enjoyed my irons. I have had them for roughly over a year. They feel great and haven't found something that compares to them.. I have the standard 0311 wedges and they are nice. When you catch them they are truly special and over the top. Wish I had the 4 iron and may buy it as I feel I could really use it.

Do not hesitate. They are expensive, I got a good deal on mine by buying the Gen 1 right before the Gen 2 were offered and then I was given a chance to buy the Gen 2 in the same specs for $100 a club. It was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I will say... Are they hands and feet superior to other irons? I'm not sure.. Am I a better golfer due to the PXG? I would say no.. They feel great but I think the fitting was vital to getting the clubs and I couldn't recommend it enough.

Started playing the PXG Gen 1 when they first came out and tried all the sets, 0311T and 0311P and 0311XF, they were good but nothing special and I moved on to a bunch of other clubs, Nike Vapors and Mizuno HM and Mizuno Forged and Epic and TM790. I have to say 790 was the best of the bunch and I gamed those for awhile and somehow I found myself back to blades and then players CB and man those Apex pros 14 are awesome irons.....anyways the PXG became cheap and I lucked into a set of 0311T and what I didn't like a year ago suddenly became fun again and then I bought a set of 0311 and then a set of 0311XF and they felt great too, they are not better than other clubs but I liked the way they looked and felt. Of course I had to go to Gen2 after that. The 0311T Gen2s are much better than Gen1s for my game. The Gen2 is slightly more forgiving and a few yards longer. In terms of 0311Ps, the first and second Gens are very close, the 0311 seems to have sharper lines and the Gen2 is slightly longer and softer. The XF Gen1s are great and the Gen2 is just as good. Very close call but Gen2 is slightly longer. Since I am average distance at best, every yard counts. After about 9 sets of testing, I finally decided on a set of 4-7 Gen2 XF and 8-P Gen2 0311P and 0311T wedges ( hated the milled ) with the 0811XF Gen2 driver and 0341X Gen2 FW rounding out the bag.......In the closet are a new set of 0311P Gen2 and half set of 0311T Gen2 and a 0811X Gen2 driver.

* I don't think the PXGs are better than other clubs out there but they seem to fit a certain forgiveness and playability that I like the way they look. They will never be as stunning and pure as a set of blades or as long as the 790s.