Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

jjohn1022

Probably I was at my most awestruck in my younger days when I encountered Gordie Howe and Al Kaline at a local course I used to play when I was in high school. I was standing at the tee box years ago at the Hawaiian Open when Arnold Palmer walked up to tee off. As he passed me he said, "how are you to today?" and the universe stood still. Judy Rankin and I had a near head on collision with our luggage carts at the Edinburgh Airport the Monday after the 2002 Open Championship at Muirfield. She was very nice.

Played behind a hall-of-fame baseball player (won't say who because he was really nice guy) last summer. Play was slow, so we had a lot of opportunities to chat at some of the tees and watch him play. All we could think in my group was, for a such a graceful athlete, this guy has the most god-awful swing/game I have ever seen. I think we estimated there were at least 4 different planes in his back-swing before getting to the top. It was Barkley-esque. He even recognized he was god-awful and made jokes about his game several times.

Played behind a hall-of-fame baseball player (won't say who because he was really nice guy) last summer. Play was slow, so we had a lot of opportunities to chat at some of the tees and watch him play. All we could think in my group was, for a such a graceful athlete, this guy has the most god-awful swing/game I have ever seen. I think we estimated there were at least 4 different planes in his back-swing before getting to the top. It was Barkley-esque. He even recognized he was god-awful and made jokes about his game several times.

Why wouldn’t you mention his name? You’re not saying anything bad about him, since he apparently agrees with your assessment of his swing. I would think his being a really nice guy would be more reason to say who it is.

I was playing at course called Caroll Valley just off the MD/PA border back in the 90's. Bill Clinton had the tee time right before us which was a 20ish minute padded time. Secret service all around. I shook his hand on the practice green and then watched him slice two off # 1. True story. That's the most famous I've seen live on a golf course.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

I was playing at course called Caroll Valley just off the MD/PA border back in the 90's. Bill Clinton had the tee time right before us which was a 20ish minute padded time. Secret service all around. I shook his hand on the practice green and then watched him slice two off # 1. True story. That's the most famous I've seen live on a golf course.

Surprised his ball didn’t go hard left.

While the former POTUS is obviously not a hooker, I suspect he has more than a few on speed dial.

While the former POTUS is obviously not a hooker, I suspect he has more than a few on speed dial.

Haven’t clicked on this thread in months.... I decide to come back to check things out and I stumble into pure gold. Lol

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Haven’t clicked on this thread in months.... I decide to come back to check things out and I stumble into pure gold. Lol

Anytime you see Thinking Plus’s avatar on the right side, you have to go in and read.

Anytime you see Thinking Plus’s avatar on the right side, you have to go in and read.

+1

She’s one of my favorites.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

+1

I'm feeling spunky today. Won our local 2 person best ball today. It was a beat down. My partner and I shot 68 gross and 63 net. Would have won both in the first flight (only one prize allowed). Partner improved my score by 5 strokes. Not really any serious competition, but we have alot of fun.

+1

I'm feeling spunky today. Won our local 2 person best ball today. It was a beat down. My partner and I shot 68 gross and 63 net. Would have won both in the first flight (only one prize allowed). Partner improved my score by 5 strokes. Not really any serious competition, but we have alot of fun.

I think someone needs to say it.....

Baggers!!

Just joking of course. Congrats. Of course I’m saying congrats to anyone who is even able to play.

+1

So really you two are the famous people some other people ran into today!

+1

So really you two are the famous people some other people ran into today!

Nah, just minor local celebrities. :D

Had the pleasure of playing with Neil Smith, Chiefs/Broncos defensive end. It was a fundraising scramble that a number of Husker football alumni make an appearance. Current Husker coach Scott Frost and Heisman winner Johnny Rodger's attended other years.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

At practice for an exhibition tournament, Nick Price turned around and bummed a smoke off of me. He started talking to me and my buddy and then introduced us to Darren Clarke (who also took a smoke), Jesper Parnevik and Freddie Couples.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I caddied for my Dad back in the late 60's. The course (Saddle Hill CC, Hopkinton Ma) was, for some reason, a favorite for pro players. Met many of the '68 Detroit Tigers one day (McClain, Lolich, Kaline) in 1969 during a series they had against the Red Sox. They were really nice to me.

One of the highlights of my life was meeting Bill Russell there. He and 3 other Celtics (Sam Jones, Satch Sanders, & another player I don't remember) were in the group ahead of my Dad's. I think it was the summer before his last season, when he was a player/coach.

Pushed by my dad, I approached their group on the 18th tee. I watched Mr. Russell pull out a 2 iron taller than I was, and proceed to hit a beautiful right to left fade up around the corner (he played lefty), around 230yds.

After his shot, he walked back to me and and asked me who I was. I was 10 or 11 at the time. I gave him my name and he said 'my what a fine young man you are'! He asked who I was with and i pointed at my dad and his group on the 17th green.

He asked me who my hero was and I said 'you are Mr. Russell!'. He laughed and shook his head. He asked me again and I said 'John Havlicek?'. He belly laughed and said, 'No, how about the guy over there'? I looked and said 'my dad?' He replied 'yes, he's your hero'. Guess he began his Mentoring program well before anyone knew .

He signed my Dad's scorecard for me. I didn't know what a rarity that was until years later. I forgot to mention that to my Dad and he turned the card in after the round, lol!

The brief meeting had a lifetime impact on me. I'll never forget it.

• Like 1

Probably I was at my most awestruck in my younger days when I encountered Gordie Howe and Al Kaline at a local course I used to play when I was in high school. I was standing at the tee box years ago at the Hawaiian Open when Arnold Palmer walked up to tee off. As he passed me he said, "how are you to today?" and the universe stood still. Judy Rankin and I had a near head on collision with our luggage carts at the Edinburgh Airport the Monday after the 2002 Open Championship at Muirfield. She was very nice.

Tam Oshanter?

I ran into InGee Chun at a range in Palm Desert. I said "Hellooooo Dumbooooo", just like that. Her and her dad or coach or whatever had a laugh.

She was very gracious despite my dorking out.

AB TP 9.5* / Diamana Blue 72s
AB TP 3HL / Diamana 80x

Epic Flash 7w / HZRDS Smoke 80x   
MP18 MMC FliHi 3 iron / C-Taper Lite S 
Mizuno Pro 225 5-P (4-9 🙄) / PX 6.0
T22 Raw (48*, 54*,62*) / DG wedge
Ping Pal 5KS (bought new at Sportmart 25 years ago)

I was hitting balls at the range at the Wilson and Harding Courses in Los Angeles and Johnny Knoxville was getting a lesson a couple of spots over.

In high school I walked on as a single at my local muni and got paired with the state insurance commissioner and his buddy. I had no idea who the guy was but his buddy was talking to me like he was a celebrity. I saw him in the news a few years later when he was brought up on corruption charges, so I guess he was a little more notable by that point...

Last summer, I was sitting in the clubhouse having lunch after a Saturday morning round, when Dr. J strolled in to grab a drink at the turn.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Sergei Federov and I played 18 holes together about 15 years ago. Just me and him in a cart. Don't know if he is famous. Anna Kournakova was practicing for a tennis tournament. She was 100 times more famous.

Very cool. Fedorov was one of the elite skaters in the history of hockey. Guy could absolutely motor and make it look easy.

so my girlfriend and I have been playing for just under 2 years. when we first started we went to the driving range and took lessons for about 4 months (it was Winter anyway) before having the guts to play an actual course. we live around the corner from East Lake which has a nice public 9 hole course right next door, Charlie Yates Golf Course so we figured that'd be a good place to start. we check in at the clubhouse and were told that we'd been paired up with another twosome, one of which played football for the Florida Gators: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Wuerffel

so not just "a football player" but a Heisman Trophy winner!

we never let on that we knew who he was but he and his playing partner were both very nice and patient with us as beginners. basically after the first hole we let them go on but they kept an eye on us the whole round and were even cheering our halfway decent shots. :)