The Great Blade Putter Search of 2019

Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hi Gang,

I don't post often but I am looking for suggestions.

I'm in the process of searching for a new blade putter. I have a Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 that has been pretty good for my slight arc stroke but I'm looking for something without an insert or a harder insert to combat the slower greens speeds I encounter in the spring and fall months of Minnesota.

I'm also in the process of selling a 2012-13ish Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 (if anyone is interested) that I barely used after making a putter trade with a golf pro. In essence, I'm looking to sell to purchase a higher-priced putter.

I'm kind of interested in Bettinardi but don't know of anyone who has had one. I'm looking for any opinions about Bettinardi blades or any other high-level, blades with a full-shaft offset.

OK. Go!
Taylormade R11 TP - Mitsubishi Diamana Kai' li
Titleist 910F 15-degree - Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina
Adams Idea A7 19-degree -UST Proforce AXIVCore 85
Srixon Z565 4 & 5, Z765 6-PW
Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2

Comments

• BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,656 ✭✭
    Old school MgBr Ping Anser just can't seem to leave my bag. I've been trying to replace it for a good year or so, and it keeps making putts. It's exactly what you are describing and should fit the same profile as your current gamer.

Morton Golf sells them new for a reasonable price.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Bettinardi is a cool option. I would say grab an Evnroll 1.2 but, I personally want a black head, black shaft, and black grip. Evnroll refuses to produce that unless you're on tour (in that model at least) which is dumb to me.

I'll always appreciate the older black Newports from SC. They were a nice option.
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,197 ✭✭
    edited Feb 16, 2019 1:45pm #4
    Bettinardi BB2, have one w/ copper insert. Excellent blade.
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Scooper5 wrote:

Hi Gang,

I'm in the process of searching for a new blade putter. I have a Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 that has been pretty good for my slight arc stroke but I'm looking for something without an insert or a harder insert to combat the slower greens speeds I encounter in the spring and fall months of Minnesota.

I'm also in the process of selling a 2012-13ish Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 (if anyone is interested) that I barely used after making a putter trade with a golf pro. In essence, I'm looking to sell to purchase a higher-priced putter.

I'm kind of interested in Bettinardi but don't know of anyone who has had one. I'm looking for any opinions about Bettinardi blades or any other high-level, blades with a full-shaft offset.

OK. Go!

Do you want a plumber's neck or flow neck? That's the most important question to answer first.

After that, go have a look at Carbon putters. Full custom, lots of options.
  • Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 14 ✭✭
    jvincent wrote:

Scooper5 wrote:

Hi Gang,

OK. Go!

Do you want a plumber's neck or flow neck? That's the most important question to answer first.

After that, go have a look at Carbon putters. Full custom, lots of options.

I've always gone with a plumber's neck as it suits my eye and my stroke the best.
    Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭
    Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    Miura Tour 2018 52 and 58 Wedges
    Wilson 8802 Milled Putter
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder Members Posts: 849 ✭✭
    The company with the most options in the "higher priced" putters category , is Piretti. Price points , materials , finishes , weights , sightlines ( or lack of)

custom stamping , blade widths , etc.

Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Speeder Evo IV  569-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti Savona 2 Elite《Murdered》or 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II

Flask - Crown Black
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I love this game!

Do we have a price range? If not, my personal picks would be:

Artisan: either of the blades depending on what shape fits your eye.

T.P. Mills: Softail, particularly if you like the high toe look at address.

Byron: 612 or DH 89 depending on what shape fits your eyes.
    Maximilian wrote:

I love this game!

Do we have a price range? If not, my personal picks would be:

Artisan: either of the blades depending on what shape fits your eye.

T.P. Mills: Softail, particularly if you like the high toe look at address.

Byron: 612 or DH 89 depending on what shape fits your eyes.

I would say a max of $500. I definitely deem the putter important, but I'm a small-golf club league golfer. And I don't have the funds to be dumping more than that on tour prototypes.
    Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
  • collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Scotty Cameron Newport, Bettinardi BB1or BB29, Studio Stock 2 Bettinardi (my favorite out of the Bettinardi's), Evnroll 1.2.

Personal feel but you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than those!

I prefer the scotty and then the evnroll - good luck!
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    If you are looking for a faster ball speed off the face, you would generally look for a face without a deep milling, as that usually translates to a slightly slower speed.

So look for a fine milling, or a smooth insert (I always mention the White Hot Pro 2.0 putters as I think they are great, but that’s my personal taste in feel).
    These are some great suggestions, gang. Many I never even thought of. Sadly, I had never even heard of the EVNROLL.

How about the Bettinardi Queen B5? I know the colors are a little, ahem, but I know "The Digest" gave it a gold medal.
    Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
  • cargo8cargo8 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Bettinardi feel is awesome and the quality is top notch. I prefer a soft feel with my aggressive stroke so I go with the FIT face, but the honeycomb on the QB series is unreal in finish. The feel is a bit clickier and harder but still super nice
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 9.5° Mitsubishi Diamana DF 50S
    Tour Edge Exotics CBX 3W Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661S
    Taylor Made GAPR Lo 2-17
    °KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid 65S
    Callaway X Forged Utility Iron 21° Oban CT-100 Steel
    Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Chrome 50.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 54.09 Oban CT-100 Steel

Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 58.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #28

Retired + Bullpen

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3 34" 350g
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport
    Taylor Made RAC TP MB 3-PW
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,360 ✭✭
    edited Feb 17, 2019 9:22pm #15
    I’m in love with my Bettinardi BB1f (flow neck) with the honeycomb milling.

Love the look at address and the feel and sound is superb...IMHO!
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,004 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 17, 2019 9:55pm #16
    If you are looking to spend more, the Byrons would be my first look... without question. But there are also the Manns and some cool Lajosi putters out there. The Miuras are also nice, just have never tried one.

I will say, I don't think you have to spend a lot of money to get what you are looking for... the Ping Vault 2.0 blades are nice, feel great and put a really consistent controllable roll on the ball. Can be had for less than $300, and Odyssey makes some nice milled putters, too, at really friendly prices...

I have tried a few Bettinardis and just haven't been impressed with the feel at all, but thats just me.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei Blue 
    Mizuno ST180 15* Tensei blue
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta Members Posts: 3,013 ✭✭
    Soft feel with SS or Carbon with no insert= TP MIlls models, Byron models, Machine M1 models. I find many of the Bettinardi's on the firm feel side but like many have said do you want a flow neck or plumber? I have a slight arc and have always putted best with a flow neck and 4:30 to 5:00 toe hang.
    Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
  • MarkG23MarkG23 Members Posts: 18
    Standard Machine M1 or M2 models - superb at the price [ $180 - $300 in range for a very good one ] or Piretti Cottonwood / Potenza if Black Finish and deep milled face is your 'thing'.

Old 1966 - 73 PING Mag. Bronze Ansers as posted above still have a lovely feel if you don't mind a more 'clicky' resonance at impact. I copper plate them over the Manganese Bronze [ they end up looking a little like a BeCu finish but slightly more 'rose copper ' ] and it seems to soften the feel and for the cost of them they are still very difficult to beat.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,128 ✭✭
    Give the Taylormade TP Black Copper blade putters a roll. The Soto and Juno are blade styles. The ball comes off the face pretty hot but very consistently and the feel is really nice. Not nearly as expensive as some of the other boutique-type brands either.
    USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    I'll throw some names out there outside of what everyone has mentioned and under your $500 limit. I'll assume you're a righty which makes this way easier lol.
    • Edel E-3 or E-5 - $375
    • Cushman Golf - $360
    • Kingston Putter KP1 Carbon - $329 and up, their GSS is $430 and up
    • Black Lab Putters BL-1, BL-2, BL-5, BL-8 - Price depends on options picked.
    • Kevin Burns Putters - Contact KB through Instagram
    • Bobby Grace - $425 for a blade
    • T-Squared - $400-500 depending on model

Hope that helps, just more options than anything else there.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • NWS AlpineNWS Alpine Members Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    oneaugusta wrote:
    Soft feel with SS or Carbon with no insert= TP MIlls models, Byron models, Machine M1 models.

My carbon machine M1 with aggressive VMG is still the best feeling putter I have ever used. Wish they were still in business. Would have to search classifieds and ebay for now.
  • jordamuujordamuu Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    + 1 for Cushman Golf. He is one of the absolute nicest guys, and he provides step-by-step updates on your putter. He made me a Laguna-style putter that is absolutely perfect. Ended up coming out to $360, which is an absolute bargain given the craftsmanship. Within two years, he’ll be selling them for at least $600, I’ll bet.
    Cobra LTD Pro 7.0 Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    TaylorMade SLDR TP 3W 15 Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 21* Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    Wilson FG Tour F5 4-9 S300
    Cleveland RTG 588 Raw SP 47 S300
    Cleveland RTG 588 Raw 53 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw 58 S300
    Cushman Custom My Day 
    Wilson Duo Professional
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    jordamuu wrote:

+ 1 for Cushman Golf. He is one of the absolute nicest guys, and he provides step-by-step updates on your putter. He made me a Laguna-style putter that is absolutely perfect. Ended up coming out to $360, which is an absolute bargain given the craftsmanship. Within two years, he’ll be selling them for at least $600, I’ll bet.

That's a crazy good price. I wonder if he can do a Laguna Style putter with more weight in the heel vs such a heavy toe hang.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,810 ✭✭
    edited Mar 2, 2019 7:55pm #24
    If you're an Anser 2 fan, take a look at a pre-2019 Toulon San Diego. No insert with outstanding feel that works on slow and fast greens alike. Roll is excellent as well. They can be had for well under $300 now.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • jordamuujordamuu Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    MattM97 wrote:

jordamuu wrote:

That's a crazy good price. I wonder if he can do a Laguna Style putter with more weight in the heel vs such a heavy toe hang.

I'm sure he'd be very happy to give it a shot! Like I said, he is a truly nice guy, and he seems more excited to get to make putters than buyers are to receive them!

Also, as an added bonus: he mills everything by hand, and he sends videos of your putter being made at various steps throughout the process.
    Cobra LTD Pro 7.0 Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    TaylorMade SLDR TP 3W 15 Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 21* Aldila Rogue 95 MSI S
    Wilson FG Tour F5 4-9 S300
    Cleveland RTG 588 Raw SP 47 S300
    Cleveland RTG 588 Raw 53 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw 58 S300
    Cushman Custom My Day 
    Wilson Duo Professional
  • crivascrivas Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

Carbon Golf Putters as well. They can be had in the $250+ range.

• SlothofDespondSlothofDespond Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

@Konklifer said:
    If you're an Anser 2 fan, take a look at a pre-2019 Toulon San Diego. No insert with outstanding feel that works on slow and fast greens alike. Roll is excellent as well. They can be had for well under $300 now.

Similarly, Ping Vault Anser 2 putters can be found at a discount now that the 2.0 line is out. No insert with a solid milled face. They’re great, except for the stock grip which is at best an acquired taste (and an easy fix). There are a lot of good non-current year model solid faced putters out there that can be had for short money...

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,113 ✭✭
    edited Mar 29, 2019 6:00pm #28

Ping Vault 2.0
    I bought a copper anser and a stealth ZB. The Stealth ZB is amazing. It knocked my Cameron out of the bag last year and the insert vs no insert debate is real. The Pings feel so much better than the Cameron and I have picked up 2 shots a side with the switch. one suggestion is to forgo the original grip and go with the Pingman grip. the new grips are garbage compared to the pingman feel IMO

• FlyOverFlyOver Members Posts: 366 ✭✭

I suggest looking into a used early 2000’s Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport putter. Light milling on the face, anser style blade, plumbers neck and go no lighter than a 340 gram head weight. You can always add 10 grams of shaft tip weight to get it up to 350 grams.

Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GR AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Titleist Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,149 ✭✭

I'm giving a Ping Classic Anser 4 a go early this season. They're still making these brand new, and I found mine at DSG. I weighed the head and it's only 305g!! The light feel is great for slow greens IMO, and I might putt all season with it, in rotation, it feels that good. I did, however, reduce the loft a bit because it was rather much to start. Give one a try, you might be surprised at the feel and balance for slower greens speeds.

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,058 ✭✭

Any love for Toulon putters?

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX