Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

@NRJyzr,

MP37 is a great iron, along with the MP29, one of Mizuno's better sets for flighting the ball in windy conditions.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> My question is has anyone significantly reduced their handicap after switching to blades? Serious question.

I can't say my handicap has gone down because of blades, but it didn't go down because of not playing blades either. Right now I'm playing Titleist 716 CBs and before that 710 MBs. Over those eight years my handicap has fluctuated between 8.0 and 10.0.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> The MP37s were good irons. Another set I regret getting rid of...

>

That's exactly why I picked them up. I won a set as part of a drawing on another golf forum. Played them for a while, then weirdly decided to unload them, and ultimately traded them.

Have regretted that since. Probably a dozen years ago, at minimum.

They're a little sharp, but I've been playing Golden Rams, Palmer Standards, FG17s..... I think I'm used to sharp. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

>

> That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

>

"Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> >

> > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> >

> "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

>

The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

(* translation: at least thru this weekend)

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I hit some MP-32s today. The six iron for me was flying 148 yards on average with 89mph swing speed compared to 175 yards with my current Srixon 785s. Most shots felt really good. However, I don't think my ego will let me pull six iron from 150 yards while playing partners are pulling 9 iron. I get there is a difference in loft between blades and game improvement irons. But, this difference seems to be to big to overcome. Maybe Im missing something.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

> @Kingcat990 said:

> To be honest C, that was, and is, probably the best combo iron set to date. The 64's are one of the best looking CB's I have ever seen, paired with one of the all time great blades. Can't go wrong with that combo.

The other thing that really stuns me - and I agree with your comments, these are both awesome clubs - is because they are a few years old, they are dirt cheap, even after I put new shafts in the 64's. And in GREAT condition. I really see this as 3 sets. MP-64; MP-4; and MP-64/4 combo.

Now all I have to do is play some golf. For a retired guy, I have gotten myself busy and golf is kinda hard to elbow time out for.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> I hit some MP-32s today. The six iron for me was flying 148 yards on average with 89mph swing speed compared to 175 yards with my current Srixon 785s. Most shots felt really good. However, I don't think my ego will let me pull six iron from 150 yards while playing partners are pulling 9 iron. I get there is a difference in loft between blades and game improvement irons. But, this difference seems to be to big to overcome. Maybe Im missing something.

Those are some funky results. My swing speed with a 6 iron is about 75 mph, and I get 140-145 yards of carry out of my 6 iron.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> > >

> > > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> > >

> > "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> >

> The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

>

> I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

>

> (* translation: at least thru this weekend)

>

>

>

Well, I certainly got in hot water challenging his POV, lol. Agree it is all skills, you can mask weakness with tech and add "comfort" but it don't change faults. I'm always plagued more by mental faults. Rare that I'm of clear mind and just going full throttle in play. This week, I'm like 'just get thru 1st 6 and then go aggressive'. What happens? I'm +8 for those 6, the next "aggressive" 6 holes I go +2 for them. Last 6 go +3 after first 2, throw in the towel and mail in the rest. Pretty PO'd coming off course. My soul was as hot & steamy as the day's weather. Point is, I don't need a perfect swing, or gear, I need a perfect "Tude". What that is? Not sure, but what's clear when I'm chomping at the bit to drill the ball into a view my eye likes, it gets done. The hardest approach on a nefarious 1st third of my course is a 190y par 3, over water and wind everywhere. I love the shot and drill it with my #5i to green all the time.I've missed it once in last 10 rounds. Same with #10, big par 5, 540y dogleg, love the shot and so does my Driver. I need that "tude" on every friggin hole!

> @NRJyzr said:

> They're a little sharp, but I've been playing Golden Rams, Palmer Standards, FG17s..... I think I'm used to sharp. LOL

I'd like to know what you think of them after you've played them a while.

I used FG51s for the last several years, but this spring I got some MP37s because I wanted something more forgiving. (Love the look of the 51s but the leading edge is so sharp.) IMO they 37s are very nice and are more forgiving, but I can't totally love them for some reason and I don't think the feel lives up to the legend.

I actually got some old Ram TG278s last weekend so I guess I'm going the opposite direction from you. :) Have to say, I hit a couple of of shots that made my knees weak, which hasn't happened with any iron in a long time. Long irons are definitely harder to hit than the Mizunos, though.

The first set of blades I ever bought were Ram Tour Grinds back in the early 90s, brand new for like $259 from Edwin Watts in the back of Golf Digest. What if I'd just stuck with those all these years instead of going through 1000 different sets... Mind blown.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

Those blueprints don't look to shabby.

WM> @Nard_S said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> > > >

> > > > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> > > >

> > > "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> > >

> > The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

> >

> > I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

> >

> > (* translation: at least thru this weekend)

> >

> >

> >

> Well, I certainly got in hot water challenging his POV, lol. Agree it is all skills, you can mask weakness with tech and add "comfort" but it don't change faults. I'm always plagued more by mental faults. Rare that I'm of clear mind and just going full throttle in play. This week, I'm like 'just get thru 1st 6 and then go aggressive'. What happens? I'm +8 for those 6, the next "aggressive" 6 holes I go +2 for them. Last 6 go +3 after first 2, throw in the towel and mail in the rest. Pretty PO'd coming off course. My soul was as hot & steamy as the day's weather. Point is, I don't need a perfect swing, or gear, I need a perfect "Tude". What that is? Not sure, but what's clear when I'm chomping at the bit to drill the ball into a view my eye likes, it gets done. The hardest approach on a nefarious 1st third of my course is a 190y par 3, over water and wind everywhere. I love the shot and drill it with my #5i to green all the time.I've missed it once in last 10 rounds. Same with #10, big par 5, 540y dogleg, love the shot and so does my Driver. I need that "tude" on every friggin hole!

What are you doing on the difficult holes that's different? Maybe taking a little extra time? a Iittle less? I have a tendency to mess up the "easy" shots and play difficult shots really well too The usual culprit is moving too quickly. Rarely do I over analyze a shot. I don't think I have the mental capacity. But, I often leave details to chance and that leads to mistakes, which in golf are easily compounded.... I love the Nicklaus quote that week to week he was just trying to find something that would work, it takes a little pressure off. Also, spend a lot of time listening to Rotella, How Champions Think. Good book.

When I am playing my best - Basically I just want to pick a target and make a balanced yet, aggressive swing. When my body is feeling good, there are usually decent results.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> > > >

> > > > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> > > >

> > > "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> > >

> > The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

> >

> > I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

> >

> >

> >

> >

> Well, I certainly got in hot water challenging his POV, lol. Agree it is all skills, you can mask weakness with tech and add "comfort" but it don't change faults. I'm always plagued more by mental faults. Rare that I'm of clear mind and just going full throttle in play. This week, I'm like 'just get thru 1st 6 and then go aggressive'. What happens? I'm +8 for those 6, the next "aggressive" 6 holes I go +2 for them. Last 6 go +3 after first 2, throw in the towel and mail in the rest. Pretty PO'd coming off course. My soul was as hot & steamy as the day's weather. Point is, I don't need a perfect swing, or gear, I need a perfect "Tude". What that is? Not sure, but what's clear when I'm chomping at the bit to drill the ball into a view my eye likes, it gets done. The hardest approach on a nefarious 1st third of my course is a 190y par 3, over water and wind everywhere. I love the shot and drill it with my #5i to green all the time.I've missed it once in last 10 rounds. Same with #10, big par 5, 540y dogleg, love the shot and so does my Driver. I need that "tude" on every friggin hole!

I have a friend of mine former WRXer former PGA Tour Pro who has been helping me some over the phone and by text. Basically he has gotten me into the belief of myself again and playing aggressively. In the last month I have shot some of my best rounds in a long time. And to be honest I am having more fun being aggressive. Now I am being aggressive and not dumb--- I do know my limitations. The par 3 you described sounds exactly like the 17th hole on my home course. The other day I had the exact same shot 190 over the water and hit a 5 iron within 3 inches of the cup. My other buds were hitting 6 and 7 irons and missed the green one of them in the water. Note even though my KZGs are players CBs they are traditional lofts no jacked lofts. Yep aggressive golf is fun.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> Those blueprints don't look to shabby.

> WM> @Nard_S said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> > > > >

> > > > "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> > > >

> > > The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

> > >

> > > I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

> > >

> > > (* translation: at least thru this weekend)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Well, I certainly got in hot water challenging his POV, lol. Agree it is all skills, you can mask weakness with tech and add "comfort" but it don't change faults. I'm always plagued more by mental faults. Rare that I'm of clear mind and just going full throttle in play. This week, I'm like 'just get thru 1st 6 and then go aggressive'. What happens? I'm +8 for those 6, the next "aggressive" 6 holes I go +2 for them. Last 6 go +3 after first 2, throw in the towel and mail in the rest. Pretty PO'd coming off course. My soul was as hot & steamy as the day's weather. Point is, I don't need a perfect swing, or gear, I need a perfect "Tude". What that is? Not sure, but what's clear when I'm chomping at the bit to drill the ball into a view my eye likes, it gets done. The hardest approach on a nefarious 1st third of my course is a 190y par 3, over water and wind everywhere. I love the shot and drill it with my #5i to green all the time.I've missed it once in last 10 rounds. Same with #10, big par 5, 540y dogleg, love the shot and so does my Driver. I need that "tude" on every friggin hole!

>

> What are you doing on the difficult holes that's different? Maybe taking a little extra time? a Iittle less? I have a tendency to mess up the "easy" shots and play difficult shots really well too The usual culprit is moving too quickly. Rarely do I over analyze a shot. I don't think I have the mental capacity. But, I often leave details to chance and that leads to mistakes, which in golf are easily compounded.... I love the Nicklaus quote that week to week he was just trying to find something that would work, it takes a little pressure off. Also, spend a lot of time listening to Rotella, How Champions Think. Good book.

>

> When I am playing my best - Basically I just want to pick a target and make a balanced yet, aggressive swing. When my body is feeling good, there are usually decent results.

Pick a target and just hit the ball without thinking about it is the key I’ve found...or rather Bob Rotella has tried to show me through his many great books.

I shot a couple of rounds in the 90s in our club championship last summer and was feeling pretty down about my game. Before my next round, I re-read Rotella’s ‘Your 15th club’ and promptly went and shot a 76 (after being +5 after 6 holes). My difficulty is trying to maintain that mental approach of focusing on the target and not on the swing.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Good comments.

What's weird is I need an aggressive bent to my golf. The Zennish vibe at times works but by it's nature you cannot force "Zen". Best rounds have been one of several things. I'm on vacation, I'm chilling. Or my brother poneyed up $200 for me to be the ringer in his tournament. Or Guy Bling Bag is paired with me or I'm crapping bullets to make birdie every hole. The first 3 are once annually on average the last though most often is just an attitude that I'm somewhat afraid to possess even though it has shown to work. So insane is doing something over and over and expecting a different result , right? So I need to embrace aggressive 'tude' and let it fly! When I practice, I'm all in even on smooth knockdowns there's an emphatic assertiveness to things. That somehow does not make it in a round all that often or if it does it's for 6 or 10 holes. Complete head case to some degree, lol.

• Like 2

> @Nard_S said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

This challenge is among the chief reasons golf is so so so much fun. I mean, mastery over our sense of focus and confidence and trust is no trivial feat. Here's where I feel the challenge the most - 2-4 feet, especially for birdie. I always sort of surprise myself in what I believe in golf. I mean, I am a psychologist with 40 yrs meditation practice. So you'd think I would be a big golf/sports psych kinda guy. And, of course, I am, but within some constraints. Back to the putting. Before I can get into a positive place to make a good stroke, I have spent a lot of time simplifying that putt, making as much of it as I can figure out to be 'paint by numbers.' This is the thing that best allows me to trust the stroke, relax into the moment. So mechanics are a must for me to get into my best scoring mind set.

The other thing that I am paying attention to is how to get a sense of sharpness on a shot, how to be as clear headed as I can be. I think this is partly about eating during a round, staying hydrated (I carry my bag so I need a lot of refueling). But it is easy for me to slide into a dull lethargy and miss a shot out of muddled mindet. Just being aware of the difference of being muddled vs sharp is also part of the answer... "awareness is, per se, curative."

Point being: gaining mental mastery isn't easy. And it's totally fun to try. Maybe the single most important thing I ever figured out about golf is that it's fun precisely because it's frustrating. Now, when I get irked (and I do, believe me!) I also have this private sense of humor and pleasure in it.

• Like 2

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Getting aggressive and having successful outcomes are an oxymoron among golfers. Seems like only an elite swinger can have the latitude to scale speed/lag/release to produce a worthy golf shot. Customary golfers will hold onto swinging aggressively based on the low percentage that they do pick one clean and send it screaming. I know this, because my father in law swings out of his shoes. He's a different golfer when he dials it down. It takes discipline to combine all the necessary attributes in developing that aggressive swing. It takes even more to maintain that discipline. I gave up years ago, and quietly succumbed to sacrificing a healthy portion of swing speed to make better contact. For those of you who have the ability and linear swing patterns; hats off to you. That took, and takes, a ton of self discipline.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

> > > > >

> > > > "Blades as a training aid".......lol,guilty as charged I guess but I've never enjoyed CB's in the way I like an MB. My 1st set was loaned to me, they were Wilson's FG something. I got "smart" and bought Ping Eye's, handed them back but always yearned to nut that PW again which at the time was the only club I could hit decently. There's truth in what I was saying but in the end, it's really about a first love that never died.

> > > >

> > > The love of playing them ... yep. Just never quite bought into deninny’s blades argument ... and definitely see skills being >> than club in scoring.

> > >

> > > I have settled in on mp-64/mp-4 and I intend for this to remain constant for a long time*

> > >

> > > (* translation: at least thru this weekend)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Well, I certainly got in hot water challenging his POV, lol. Agree it is all skills, you can mask weakness with tech and add "comfort" but it don't change faults. I'm always plagued more by mental faults. Rare that I'm of clear mind and just going full throttle in play. This week, I'm like 'just get thru 1st 6 and then go aggressive'. What happens? I'm +8 for those 6, the next "aggressive" 6 holes I go +2 for them. Last 6 go +3 after first 2, throw in the towel and mail in the rest. Pretty PO'd coming off course. My soul was as hot & steamy as the day's weather. Point is, I don't need a perfect swing, or gear, I need a perfect "Tude". What that is? Not sure, but what's clear when I'm chomping at the bit to drill the ball into a view my eye likes, it gets done. The hardest approach on a nefarious 1st third of my course is a 190y par 3, over water and wind everywhere. I love the shot and drill it with my #5i to green all the time.I've missed it once in last 10 rounds. Same with #10, big par 5, 540y dogleg, love the shot and so does my Driver. I need that "tude" on every friggin hole!

>

> This challenge is among the chief reasons golf is so so so much fun. I mean, mastery over our sense of focus and confidence and trust is no trivial feat. Here's where I feel the challenge the most - 2-4 feet, especially for birdie. I always sort of surprise myself in what I believe in golf. I mean, I am a psychologist with 40 yrs meditation practice. So you'd think I would be a big golf/sports psych kinda guy. And, of course, I am, but within some constraints. Back to the putting. Before I can get into a positive place to make a good stroke, I have spent a lot of time simplifying that putt, making as much of it as I can figure out to be 'paint by numbers.' This is the thing that best allows me to trust the stroke, relax into the moment. So mechanics are a must for me to get into my best scoring mind set.

>

> The other thing that I am paying attention to is how to get a sense of sharpness on a shot, how to be as clear headed as I can be. I think this is partly about eating during a round, staying hydrated (I carry my bag so I need a lot of refueling). But it is easy for me to slide into a dull lethargy and miss a shot out of muddled mindet. Just being aware of the difference of being muddled vs sharp is also part of the answer... "awareness is, per se, curative."

>

> Point being: gaining mental mastery isn't easy. And it's totally fun to try. Maybe the single most important thing I ever figured out about golf is that it's fun precisely because it's frustrating. Now, when I get irked (and I do, believe me!) I also have this private sense of humor and pleasure in it.

Great post.

Yeah, I'm really more consumed by the inner index and game, you're spot on with the comments about it too. I carry the dualism that golf matters but it don't and rarely get frustrated by a round the way I did this week because it was so clear it's in-between the ears. More frustrating is I'm better when I go hard, which can be Kryptonite for a game that's Chess on 70 acres. Some or much maybe due to lack of rounds, dunno. I've been on a dozen rounds per year diet for several, so there's that. Liberating my aggression though is something I'm fully going to experiment with a lot more.

Swinging aggressive might not be the best thought for everyone. More to the point, it's all about being decisive. Doubt is the biggest killer. Practice removes a lot of doubt. But, at the same time practice isn't everything. It's funny how I can have a great practice session and the next day I go out and double hit my first chip or something bizarre. Day in day out we change. We need different cues? That's not the word... I'll be lucky if I get more than 6 round of golf this year. I'm halfway there now... Boy, I can't wait to play - but I won't bother until it drops to below 28 degrees in the day time.

dtyaze8voqw9.png

d64tyg6ze696.png

5hg6d4jupod5.png

Played with a guy last night who was using OG Nike Blades... I told him when he wants to sell them to let me know... Fingers crossed

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

So, I have somehow lost/misplaced my MP-64 wedge. Maybe I left it at the local range where I was practicing chipping, so I went there to see if it had been turned in. No luck. But in looking for it in their bins of odd clubs, I found my lost Buchi wedge after 3 years - which I had replaced before I sold the set. What a shock. I have no idea why I took it, it does me no good. Has that sweet Fujikura MCI shaft in it. Useless now for me.

I HATE losing clubs. Maybe it'll show up. If not, I see a wedge on ebay. Aaarrgggg.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Played yesterday, my new MP37s in the bag. Was kind of jazzed about it. We start on #10 tee, I hit a questionable 3w off tee, away we go.

And I started with the worst nine holes I've played in years. Nearly hoseled a 1 iron off the tee on 11, followed that with an actual shankasaurus 4 iron. Birdied #12, possibly because the clubs I used to approach were the only ones working for me, driver and 52*. Hoseled a ball in the water on the next hole, scuffed my putter on a 4 foot bogey putt on a hole where I topped a 3w off tee, made a quad on a par 5 after hitting into the water, then hitting a tree with punch out.... A crowd pleasing 49 was the final result for the first nine on the back nine.

Pulled it together a bit on the second nine, but hoselus lateralus showed up again and I wound up with a 91. Must've shanked four times, with numerous other near misses.

The 37s were great, except for the hosels jumping in the way from time to time.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Exactly, Catchy. When I wasn't using the hosel, the irons performed just fine.

It's more than a bit odd that driver was the good club yesterday. My tee game has been less than ideal over the years. LOL

That's golf! So many times I've been hitting the driver well in practice only to muck it up completely on the course. The opposite is also true: hit the driver awfully on the range and striped in on the course. Wedges are the same. If they're good in practice they're likely to be awful on the course. Bad in practice, good on the course. Fairway woods, irons, and my putter do not follow this rule, though.

Got to play yesterday, after thinking I wouldn't be able to. Got a better idea what's going on with the 37s...

I apologize if I'm repeating something said earlier, a portion of my MP37 "experiment" has to do the lie angles I'm playing. In fitting the clubs to me at 2nd Swing, I was getting a straight flight from the irons at a flatter lie than I've been previously fit to. My original set of Rams were set to a 63* lie angle with the 5i. These 37s have been set at a 61* lie, going 2* up from the specs shown at golfclubspec.com. Been worried this would prove to not work for me, especially in the long irons. It's been a visual adjustment, as well, but so far, I've adapted.

Yesterday's round was played in a 10-15mph breeze. And the irons performed wonderfully. Excellently, even. Driver was less cooperative than my earlier shankasaurus round, giving me a few chances to use more clubs in the bag. Hit a 3 iron 3 or 4 times, each was an unqualified success, including chasing up on a par 5 to leave me an eagle putt. Threw darts with the 6-8 irons, had several looks for birdie inside 10 feet. Trajectory was higher than I expected, probably due to their reputation as much as anything, but only slightly so, and definitely acceptable. And wind play was excellent, had zero problems.

All in all, an unqualified success, such as one can say after two rounds. LOL

These also have that classic Mizuno feel that is so often bandied about. I be digging it. <3

Happen to have an MP14 2 iron lying around, it was bent strong 2* by previous owner, I may shaft it up to match the set...

• Like 1