toulon putters

Comments

• MattM97MattM97  651Members Posts: 651

So I think I've caught the Toulon bug, I ended up grabbing a San Diego from Callaway Pre-Owned after they had a 30% offer going on so made one very reasonable price wise. I do like the face milling, for me it fits into that sweet spot that I'm looking for on feel and sound. It's currently replaced my Edel as my #1 mainly cause I'm not grooving with my Edel grip.

As of now I'd like to add another Toulon or 2. Prefer an Atlanta/Madison as I'm starting to prefer rounded bumpers on blades. Other would be a Memphis, Atlanta or Las Vegas just to have a mallet shape. But I'm going to try and find one used cause no need to buy new, only reason I'd buy new is if I could customize the neck and lefty options are all stock.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon Sand Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff  3467Members Posts: 3,467

@MattM97 said:
    So I think I've caught the Toulon bug, I ended up grabbing a San Diego from Callaway Pre-Owned after they had a 30% offer going on so made one very reasonable price wise. I do like the face milling, for me it fits into that sweet spot that I'm looking for on feel and sound. It's currently replaced my Edel as my #1 mainly cause I'm not grooving with my Edel grip.

As of now I'd like to add another Toulon or 2. Prefer an Atlanta/Madison as I'm starting to prefer rounded bumpers on blades. Other would be a Memphis, Atlanta or Las Vegas just to have a mallet shape. But I'm going to try and find one used cause no need to buy new, only reason I'd buy new is if I could customize the neck and lefty options are all stock.

Smart. I wouldnt spend too much on a Toulon...they pop up all over ebay and kijiji for 150-250! Unfortunately they are now plastering Odyssey all over them.

Posted:
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902

@5hort5tuff said:

@MattM97 said:

Smart. I wouldnt spend too much on a Toulon...they pop up all over ebay and kijiji for 150-250! Unfortunately they are now plastering Odyssey all over them.

Yup I like the Toulon logos so I prefer the old ones but I do like the full face milling on the new ones, so kind of a weird in between.

But yeah used is the way to go but I'm sure you know as a lefty options are often limited. On eBay now there are 500+ Toulon putters and only 15 lefties I think. Gonna move some putter I have for them.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
  • Kentsp1Kentsp1  368Members Posts: 368

Took advantage of the 20% off on callaway preowned and scooped up a Las Vegas H7 35" 2* flat with pistol grip. Initial first few rolls with it have been promising. Has great balance and very easy to release.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* rogue max 75 X
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* rogue max 85 X
    Mizuno mp18 flihi 3&4 / 5-w mp 18 mmc modus 120 x
    Mizuno s18 50, 55, 60 modus 120 x
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR 34"
  • FEUOFEUO LaSalle, Ontario 259Members Posts: 259

The size of some of their mallets is surprisingly small.

Posted:

Added an Atlanta mallet, yes it smaller but it's not bad at all. I've been tinkering with it, put in a 7g weight vs the 20g and to me it feels more controllable and put the 20g into the San Diego and made that feel more stable so I think I'll work with these my next few rounds.

Still want to add an Austin or Madison just for something with rounded bumpers, may move my Byron Morgan or a few other putters to get one.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Advertisement
  • Sleeky_DSleeky_D  80ClubWRX Posts: 80

Like many have said on this thread, the biggest problem I have is the branding/logos. I gamed an Atlanta for about 2 months this summer but went back to my newport after that. It may just be me, but I feel like the Odyssey toulons feel different than the older models...and not in a good way (imo)

Posted:
  • Mg3sncMg3snc  29Members Posts: 29

I just got a Madison and a vegas from the Callaway pre-owned. Curious to see what I hit better but I do love the milling from when I tried it out on the Vegas and an older Austin I tried. No stroke lab though, I figure I can always try to add that secondary if I need it. But I will agree I do not like the Odyssey swirl instead of the toulon badge on the front

Posted:
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12  3088Members Posts: 3,088

For those Toulon owners who have removed the sole plate weights...how difficult is it to do? Is there loctite from the factory on the screws that needs to be heated up and broken or just simply remove?
    I just picked up an Atlanta SB and want to swap out the sole plate weights to go a little heavier...
    Thanks,
    Josh

Posted:
  • golftechgolftech  423Members Posts: 423

The store I purchased my Long Island at, changed the sole plate to a heavier one is several minutes. It seemed straightforward and easy to remove & change. Loving the solid, deeper pitch sound of my Toulon.

Posted:

Well, I just tried to remove the sole plate and stripped one of the screws in the process...
    Anyone know what size replacement screw these putters would need?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BYKBYK  1921Members Posts: 1,921

@jtitleist12 said:
    Well, I just tried to remove the sole plate and stripped one of the screws in the process...
    Anyone know what size replacement screw these putters would need?

**** that sucks J
    I just use the replacement ones that come in the weight box. They only give you two in each box, which I always wondered why not more

Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • HeathbarHeathbar  102Members Posts: 102

I do like the Toulons but without the stroke lab shaft I assume. Tried one with and felt great but inconsistent. May be due to the shaft and new weighing

Posted:
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner  547Members Posts: 547

I just picked up a Toulon Columbus with the H2 hosel. I think this is the longest neck putter that's been made available at retail in the recent past. I need to get a better grip on it, but I love how it looks. All the Toulon heads seem way more compact than I would expect, which I consider to be a good thing.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Adams Tight Lies 16 deg. 4 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, Kuro Kage Black
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    SeeMore Giant M1t / Toulon Columbus
  • Mg3sncMg3snc  29Members Posts: 29

I ended up converting to two Toulon Putters from a long time Scotty user, the slant neck Madison and the Las Vegas. Love the feel of both and they both look incredible. Be interesting to see which one stays in the bag for more time now!

Posted:
  • RH82RH82 Alberta, Canada 2203Members Posts: 2,203

Better feel without the stroke lab shaft.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • maverickmaverick  1423Members Posts: 1,423

I have a Las Vegas with the stroke lab shaft and have little problems with lags. The price of their weighs is ridicules but I just bought a 40gram to bring the head weight up.

Posted:

@MaineMariner said:
    I just picked up a Toulon Columbus with the H2 hosel. I think this is the longest neck putter that's been made available at retail in the recent past. I need to get a better grip on it, but I love how it looks. All the Toulon heads seem way more compact than I would expect, which I consider to be a good thing.

The San Diego is actually a pretty big head

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Are there any other sole weight variations out there besides A7, S20, and T40?
    A 12g weight would be absolutely perfect in my Atlanta!

Posted:

@jtitleist12 said:

They do have some other options.
    Think they might be tour versions.
    I have a 10 and 25 weight

Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • maverickmaverick  1423Members Posts: 1,423

Canceled my 40 gram weight, too expensive and not needed. I also bought a new roll of lead tape. LOL I now have two Toulon Las Vegas putters. One with the stroke lab shaft, one without. The one without is the one I am currently using and I bought it from Callaway-Preowned.

Posted:

Advertisement

@BYK said:

@jtitleist12 said:

They do have some other options.
    Think they might be tour versions.
    I have a 10 and 25 weight

B,
    You get all the cool stuff!

Posted:
  • BaddsBadds  1721Members Posts: 1,721

I just picked up a San Diego and love it. It has knocked my tour Scotty Cameron Newport 2 out of the bag. And now that I can sell the tour NP2 the Toulon just made me $3,000.

Nice!

Posted:
    Post edited by Badds on

I honestly don't see the need for the 40g weight, most Toulon putters are heavy to begin with starting at 355-365g and I don't know if this includes the standard 7g or not into that. I like a heavier head but even the 20g I do put into my putter often. I think they need to offer some lighter weights.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

@MattM97 said:
    I honestly don't see the need for the 40g weight, most Toulon putters are heavy to begin with starting at 355-365g and I don't know if this includes the standard 7g or not into that. I like a heavier head but even the 20g I do put into my putter often. I think they need to offer some lighter weights.

Blades are supposed to be 352 with the stock A7 weight
    Pretty standard

Posted:
    Yadi for President

@BYK said:

@MattM97 said:

Pretty standard

All the models vary a bit due to the specs section on the Odyssey and CPO sites. But even at that or the 360g range I'm seeing most at how many guys are needing a roughly 400g head that are not arm locking? Seems like more guys could use a weight between the 7g and 20g.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Advertisement

@MattM97 said:

@BYK said:

@MattM97 said:

Pretty standard

All the models vary a bit due to the specs section on the Odyssey and CPO sites. But even at that or the 360g range I'm seeing most at how many guys are needing a roughly 400g head that are not arm locking? Seems like more guys could use a weight between the 7g and 20g.

Oh I hear you
    seems like a sledgehammer to me
    I usually stay in the 350 range, but have a couple at 360

Posted:
    Yadi for President

I love my San Diego but did not care for the black sole plate on a silver putter head. With a little Easy Off oven cleaner (thanks to R&D work by JTitleist12) I now have a natural aluminum sole plate. Love it!

Posted:

@Badds said:
    I love my San Diego but did not care for the black sole plate on a silver putter head. With a little Easy Off oven cleaner (thanks to R&D work by JTitleist12) I now have a natural aluminum sole plate. Love it!

Oh I like that. Maybe I'll do the same but my San Diego is in a bit rougher shape.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Advertisement

If anyone sees this and wants to give a go, here is the "how to":

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1077605/remove-the-red-anodized-color-from-cameron-golo-5-sole-plate-you-sure-can/p1

The Toulon sole plate was harder to strip than a Cameron sight cross. It took about 4 rounds of Easy Off at 10 minutes each and a Scotch brite rub down.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file