2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What I've learned while watching Shell's Wonderfull World of golf....

Titleist99

Me too. And to see the spot where he put out his chesterfield on that guys face. Lol.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As I expected, didn't really pay attention, posting usual junk and frankly making up stuff.

Just watched the episode with Geiberger and Alliss. Nobody used a 6 iron off the green. Sikes used an 8 iron ONCE for a shot that called for it and hit it to 3 feet. Sikes hit an incredible wedge from deep crap on 2. Geiberger had one wedge that ran off a slick downhill green then hit a tough comeback back up the hill from the rough to 7 feet - great shot. Hit a tough 20 plus yarder from down a hill, pretty much blind to 6 feet with plenty of loft.

Peter Alliss around the greens - EVERY shot around the green that wasn't a putter was a . . . . . WEDGE (they don't differentiate on the call between sand wedge and pitching wedge, it's just a "wedge" but you could see a lot of loft on some of the shots) and the results - almost holed out for birdie on 2, hit another to 3 feet, another one he almost holes from down the hill well below the hole.

Hit the shots that were required, that the course called for, and of the shots that were shown most were one wedge or another and hit with incredible touch and with one exception all close and some almost in the hole.

None of this crap about all these shots 15 feet by and 10 feet short.

Yep, those old-timers had no clue. Hit shots that any so-called "modern" player would be thrilled to hit.

• Like 3

Back when I really practiced I would practice all kinds of shots with different clubs from the same spot around the green- What a lot of guys do not understand with the wedges of the day stock they were heavy and you did not have all those grinds they do now. Sand Wedges were difficult to hit off of certain lies with all the bounce they had. Also in those days greens were basically push up greens in that they were pushed up out of the native soil with no topsoil cushion underneath. Also irrigation systems were not then what they are now. The one hole the member refereed to where Palmer knocked it 10 feet past the hole the wind was blowing and that green was as hard as concrete. We get wind blown dry greens here especially the exposed ones and no one can stop a ball on them I do not care who you are and what wedge you use. But if one has never played persimmon and blades with balata balls they can not fathom how good those guys in those days really were. If anyone comes to the Grand Strand area of SC and wants to play blades and persimmon give me a PM--- I have plenty to choose from--- Grab an empty bag and go to choosing your weapons

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

And remember Chesterfields are healthy for you because---- More Doctors smoke Chesterfields---- No joke I remember that ad from back in the early 60s. Someone can probably look that up on U tube and or Google and post it here

• Like 1

Yep. That ad is why I picked that brand. That and my grandpa smoked them in my eaRly youth . He said he first chose them because they came most often in his K rations during the war. (WW2). Apparently after that it was seen as a sign of being 4F if you smoked anything else. ( 4F being unfit to serve )

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thank you Golf Channel for this refreshing programming.

Wouldn't it be great if they resurrected these instead of regurgitating the same 4 - 6 golf movies over and over?

And yes, Sam Snead Celebrity Golf in the middle of the night has also been a treat.

I think a big part of the sand wedges around the green, besides the variety of grinds and bounce options, is that today’s greens are so fast. It seems like many of the greens on these shows must have stimped less than 10.

• Like 1

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

I started playing when I was 12 back in 1963 and was taught to chip with a 7 iron and 8 iron and sometimes a 6 iron. You played chip shots like it was a putt. The lies you would get up around the green were usually not that good. Sometimes you were chipping off hardpan. I didn't have a sand wedge until my senior year in high school. The pro at our course taught me to play sand shots with a 9 iron or wedge. Around my junior year in high school one of the older men at our course would take me out and show me how to hit all sorts of chip shots with 7 and 8 irons. How to spin it to make it check up, how to spin it to make the ball run out like a putt. Even how to chip it off hardpan with an 8 iron and pop it up so the ball would land softly. The balata balls helped a lot in being able to hit all those shots. Different style of play back then mostly due to the condition of the courses. It was fun.

• Like 3

For me 6 years ago when I was still in the towing business it was Red Bull---- We lived off that stuff up there--- Found out what was in it and quit--- Ain't touched them or any energy drink in 6 years but do drink and love my coffee

Trust me you are correct on the stimp. Some of those mallet head putters were as heavy as sledgehammers. Back in those days there were two different type of players putting. Those with the heavy mallet putters literally slammed the ball through the grass. Those that putted with a blade type putter ( Calamity Jane style ,8802, Bullseye etc) basically got the ball on top of the grass. My old man was a mallet man where I more than less went blade style mostly with an 8802 style Macgregor Ironmaster.

We learned the game in the same era--- You are a little older than me but I started earlier due to my old man being a Pro and running a course. My old man if he missed a green would bump and run you to death with a 5 iron. He was never a good wedge player because it simply was not a part of his game. I learned my wedge game from the hustlers that came up from Florida in the spring and honed them on our little Par 3 course. Modern designs do not favor the bump and run game as we knew it. I grew up on Muni and Ross type courses with Bermuda type greens. But I still practiced and used the bump and run because as someone stated back in those days the lie and course conditions were not conducive to to short wedge play. Like I said my old man for him it was the 5 iron for some reason I adopted the bump and run with an 8 iron.

• Like 1

Chi Chi was the one who really impressed me--- I had forgotten how long he was until I was watching this morning and he was skinny and weighed only 125 pounds. He was flat pounding it out there playing Doug Sanders

Recorded it and be watching pretty soon! He had some shots!

Edit: Wow, he was definitely pounding it. Got a kick out of those somewhat shaggy greens, big difference from what we have today ---- hmmmm, wonder if that affected how they hit their shots around the greens, lol. Sanders would bend over after his tee shots and iron shots and just look goofy, lol. Also seemed to be walking up the fairway with a different lady every time. Noticed he gave his club to some woman off the 9th green who was wearing a golf glove - not sure if there was some off camera golf tip that was going to get filmed or what was up there, lol.

Interesting is this was kind of pre-showman Chi-Chi and he was pretty reserved, and I've read, and not sure how accurate, he may have been a little Trevino-like in the sense that the on course vs. off course could be quite a bit different (but NOT inviting any negative diversions).

Watching Dave Marr now at Turnberry - couldn't figure out why a young George Will the columnist would be on the show and only turned it on because it's at Turnberry - surprise, a pro from over there named George Will, haha. Love Marr's action - a Claude Harmon pupil they are saying.

One of the best golf shows that I haven't seen anywhere since it was originally shown was the CBS Golf Classic. Came on every Sunday after football season was over, which back when it aired was late December or early January. It was a series of four ball matches played at Firestone that was probably filmed in the fall after the golf season was finished. The golf season ended with the World Series of Golf with the 4 major winners playing against each other over Labor Day weekend at Firestone. You could hear the players talk to each other and the golf was great. I can't remember all of the players who took part in the show but I'm pretty sure that Lanny Wadkins and Tom Weiskopf were one of the teams. Listening to the banter between them and watching how they played Firestone was must watch TV if you were a golfer. You couldn't wait for Winter to be over and get back out to play.

• Like 1

Anybody critiquing the old days should look Up Trevinos back nine on Saturday....

he chipped in 3 while en route to 5 consecutive birdies to close out the round.

on Sunday he chipped in again on 17 to par and cause Jacklin to implode...

Trevinos performance on the weekend was among the greatest short round displays in the history of championship golf...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape