How do you stop the blowup holes?

So I Duno if it's just me or if others have it happen to. I Duno if it's mental or because I'm still a mere mortal at a 15hcp?

Seems almost every round no matter how switched on my game is there's one hole that a dreaded 8/9/10 show up the scorecard. Every shot is terrible. And I know they say never make the same bad shot twice.

I'm not talking about the time you hit a beautiful drive but it just catches the water and you do it again. (Those I always take my medicine and either drop at point of entry or when I re tee I make sure it's s are second) these are easy to deal with. Just take a deep breath and play the rest of the hole safe. I know if I hit it OB I should be happy with a Bogey. If I save par I'm ecstatic.

So I'm not talking about those blowup holes continue reading if you dare.

I'm talking about the Tee shot that you hit super fat or thin that goes 50yards in a random direction OB or into a hazard. So you tee it up it happens again... Then you take your drop. You hit a decent 5th shot but then your approach is another flub.

Who else has these!!!! How do you recover or fix it? Perfect example was today. Shot a 42 on the front 9. With 1 birdie 1 par and the rest single bogey. I was thrilled. One of my best minds on a difficult course for me. 71/132 slope/rating.

First hole back nine i psych myself out and boom. Card a 9. 2 drives were terrible into feskew 60yards up. Take my drop hit a beautiful 3 wood off the deck. Flub my next approach. Then hit a Good bad one thin that rolled up near the pin. Then thank god my putting didn't fall apart with a 1 putt.

Help me stop this!!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason,I am a fellow 15 capper.Yesterday I played 18 and my scorecard was pretty descent except for the 10 on 2 and the 9 on 3! Going into the fourth hole 10 over really stinks,but that what makes me the cap I am.

Just an example,here is how the 9 happened.......Par 5(540 yards) Tee off with driver and bomb it 300 yards straight down the middle.Got 240 in with a good lie in the fairway,feeling good and decide to go for it.Get out 3 wood and proceed to hit a foot behind the ball and send it into the thick garbage 40 yards ahead.Have a lie that is good enough to advance it 70 yards or so.I get out PW and proceed to chop it 20 feet forward into an area of dried up grass.Lie is plenty good enough to advance it 130 yards so I get out 8 iron and proceed to chunk it straight into the water ahead.There was mud underneath the grass so now my club looks like I dipped it into a can of chocolate frosting and I have mud all over my clothes! Anyway,get that all cleaned up and take a drop.Manage to hit one up about 10 yards short of the green.Lying 6 and hit a good pitch shot to about 10 feet.2 putt from there and thats that.That is a typical blowup type of hole for me.

Most blowup scores are from mishits. They come from trying to make shots you can't hit, hitting clubs you can't hit, or, more often than not, not really having a clue around the greens. If you took a hybrid and nothing longer than an 8iron (and probably, nothing shorter than a sw), you probably would score better, if blowup holes are your issue.

Don't panic. Stick to the gameplan and the shots that are feasible to hit. Dr. Bhrett McCabe relates it to being in a rip current. When you're in a rip current, they tell you to take a deep breath, stay calm and move parallel to the shore line. Most people panic and don't follow the 'rules.'

I'll give you an example. For me, a 'blow up hole' would be a triple bogey (I play to a +3 handicap).

So I was playing a tournament and I hit my drive into the trees. I wanted to avoid making a second bogey in a row (made bogey on the previous role). So I try to hit a near miracle shot thru the trees. It hits one of the trees hard and kicks out into the fairway. Still worried about making another bogey, I have 132 yards and try to flag a shot to a tucked pin surrounded by bunkers. I pull that shot a little and it ends up in the bunker, short-siding myself.

I then hit a bunker shot to 15-feet and because I'm upset that I'm going to make at least a bogey (more like a double)...I don't go thru my routine and I 3-putt.

I needed to accept that I hit a poor drive and just try to play for the results of my average swing from there on in. I should not have tried to hit the miracle shot thru the trees. And when I got a break I should have aimed a little right of the flag just to make sure that I have bogey secured and a possible shot at par. And when I found the bunker, I needed to stick to my routine and try to execute instead of letting the previous shots get to me.

RH

Jason,I am a fellow 15 capper.Yesterday I played 18 and my scorecard was pretty descent except for the 10 on 2 and the 9 on 3! Going into the fourth hole 10 over really stinks,but that what makes me the cap I am. Just an example,here is how the 9 happened.......Par 5(540 yards) Tee off with driver and bomb it 300 yards straight down the middle.Got 240 in with a good lie in the fairway,feeling good and decide to go for it.Get out 3 wood and proceed to hit a foot behind the ball and send it into the thick garbage 40 yards ahead.Have a lie that is good enough to advance it 70 yards or so.I get out PW and proceed to chop it 20 feet forward into an area of dried up grass.Lie is plenty good enough to advance it 130 yards so I get out 8 iron and proceed to chunk it straight into the water ahead.There was mud underneath the grass so now my club looks like I dipped it into a can of chocolate frosting and I have mud all over my clothes! Anyway,get that all cleaned up and take a drop.Manage to hit one up about 10 yards short of the green.Lying 6 and hit a good pitch shot to about 10 feet.2 putt from there and thats that.That is a typical blowup type of hole for me.

So, how many times have you hit a 3 wood 240 to your target? Why not lay up to your wedge distance? I know it's tempting, but trouble in front of you following up a 10, you need to give yourself a chance to make par, and maybe get a birdie. I make more birdies on par 5's from laying up. I make more others on par 5's from trying to reach even when I am in range. Decision making is as much the culprit in blowup holes as bad shots imo.

Fein a severe soft tissue injury, easiest is a pulled hammy. Fall to to your knees, put your head down, silently count to five(one one thousand.....), then in as dramatic a way as realistically possible rise and with a straight legged dragging bad leg limp to your ball. After 20-25 seconds of wincing, grimacing and finally bending over, head down, hands on knees, moan "I'm done, I just can't do it."

You're welcome :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

From what I can see out on the course, the most common cause seems to be patience and frustration. You hit a bad shot so you get up there and you're aggravated so you rush through to try and get the ball down where it should have been the first time, and you make another bad swing and it just kind of goes on like that all the way to the green.

You probably feel self-conscious going through your whole routine after hitting a bad shot thinking everyone is waiting and watching you. But that is what you have to do. You need to approach each shot like the last shot never existed. Full Focus, full prep routine and execute.

That's what it seems like to me.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

From what I can see out on the course, the most common cause seems to be patience and frustration. You hit a bad shot so you get up there and you're aggravated so you rush through to try and get the ball down where it should have been the first time, and you make another bad swing and it just kind of goes on like that all the way to the green.

You probably feel self-conscious going through your whole routine after hitting a bad shot thinking everyone is waiting and watching you. But that is what you have to do. You need to approach each shot like the last shot never existed. Full Focus, full prep routine and execute.

This is true and you're right. When I eff up bad I rush sometimes and do it again

If you hit water off the tee, why tee it up for a second attempt? Why not walk up to where it entered the water and take your drop? You eliminate the chance of putting a second ball in the water, you more than likely take the water out of play by taking the drop, you are further up the hole thereby making it shorter and giving yourself the chance to get on in 3 assuming its a par 4 that leaves one putt for par or two for a bogie. Spectacular golf shots are not recorded on your card so why try them if you are going for a low score. I've found safe and sensible produce lower scores than attempts at tour pro shots.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

If you hit water off the tee, why tee it up for a second attempt? Why not walk up to where it entered the water and take your drop? You eliminate the chance of putting a second ball in the water, you more than likely take the water out of play by taking the drop, you are further up the hole thereby making it shorter and giving yourself the chance to get on in 3 assuming its a par 4 that leaves one putt for par or two for a bogie. Spectacular golf shots are not recorded on your card so why try them if you are going for a low score. I've found safe and sensible produce lower scores than attempts at tour pro shots.

This sounds a lot like a movie ...

Definitely had this on my last round when I had a 10 on one hole. Just exaggerates the swing flaw that caused the bad shot in the first place I think.

I topped my drive, then proceeded to fluff, top, mishit up the fairway via bunkers and rough getting more angry and demoralised with each shot.

Was on the mood to walk off the course after that.

Yah obviously the HCP plays a factor. The reason I am my index is due to consistency obviously. So when this happens I find it a lot easier to get in my head and keep doing it.

But does this happen to single digit cappers? If so do they do something to help save the hole.

I know the obvious. (Like I said before I learned long ago never hit the same bad shot twice, never try to make a "save" shot and play the rest of the hole with comfortable and safe shots) I can see these blow ups effect anyone easily if they aren't mentally ready and don't reset after the first error.

I'm talking about saving the blowup holes where it looks like you've never held a club before and all the wheels come off?

Do single digit cappers even have that happen? If so how do they get hem back on during the hole to save face?

I know I haven't figured it out. Usually they don't get put back on until 1 or 2 holes later

I'm a 9.9 hdc and carded a 10 yesterday. Sliced driver into the forest. Drove up and punched a 5i 160 yards to the end of the FW(this is the only decent shot I hit on the hole). 115 left so I pull my gap wedge. I'm in the FW but it's a noticeable downhill lie. I put the ball back a tad and take a few practice swings. Feels good. Hit it fat and it rolls into the bunker 60 yards away. Now I'm hitting 5 over 50 yards of bunker real estate. You guessed it. Fluffed it into the greenside. Blast out and catch it a tad thin so I'm lying 6 in deep rough, short sided and severely downhill. No way i'm getting it close so I choose not to risk a flop shot and just hood the LW and get it on the green. First putt is pushed inconcieveably right and short. At this point just nestle it up there and don't four jiggy. 10. It happens.

In retrospect, I should have hit a 3/4 PW just to get it on the front of the green and try to 2-putt for my double instead of taking a full cut on a downhill lie.

Yah obviously the HCP plays a factor. The reason I am my index is due to consistency obviously. So when this happens I find it a lot easier to get in my head and keep doing it.

But does this happen to single digit cappers? If so do they do something to help save the hole.

I know the obvious. (Like I said before I learned long ago never hit the same bad shot twice, never try to make a "save" shot and play the rest of the hole with comfortable and safe shots) I can see these blow ups effect anyone easily if they aren't mentally ready and don't reset after the first error.

I'm talking about saving the blowup holes where it looks like you've never held a club before and all the wheels come off?

Do single digit cappers even have that happen? If so how do they get hem back on during the hole to save face?

I know I haven't figured it out. Usually they don't get put back on until 1 or 2 holes later

Have you ever watched a PGA tournament? Of course it happens to single cappers too.

A blowup hole doesn't only happen to high handicappers and plagues a lot of golfers. I had a snowman and triple on Par 4's a couple weeks ago and still shot 84 (+7 in 2 holes). Two poor shots on one hole and a bad decision on an approach shot followed by a three putt on the same hole and I tripled. It pisses me off just thinking about it but it happens! It's usually a lapse in focus for a low capper, but always a swing problem with a high capper. Work on your swing if your hitting fat tee shots with a driver.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

On a Serious note, Blade's summation is spot on regarding a mid/high cap becoming frustrated, angry and then self conscious, basically to the point of wanting it "to be over," so they don't go through their PSR, and they step up and hurriedly take a swing to "get it over with" and have the spot light shine on someone else.

If ever there was a time to slow down, from your pace of walking to your pre shot mannerisms and to your swing, and I'm not talking unaturally so, just to the pace and tempo that you Would have of you were out by yourself, relaxed.

Take a real deep breath, two or three if need be, and think about your next shot. Forget your last shot and obviously all that proceeded it.

Focus on your next swing, the flight/path the ball must take and the successful outcome of your ball settling at your target.

Yes, you are where you are because of a bad swing, or multiple bad swings, however it takes only one good swing to right the ship. Focus on THAT swing and you'll be fine.

Right yourself mentally and then put a swing/stroke on the ball.

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On a Serious note, Blade's summation is spot on regarding a mid/high cap becoming frustrated, angry and then self conscious, basically to the point of wanting it "to be over," so they don't go through their PSR, and they step up and hurriedly take a swing to "get it over with" and have the spot light shine on someone else.

If ever there was a time to slow down, from your pace of walking to your pre shot mannerisms and to your swing, and I'm not talking unaturally so, just to the pace and tempo that you Would have of you were out by yourself, relaxed.

Take a real deep breath, two or three if need be, and think about your next shot. Forget your last shot and obviously all that proceeded it.

Focus on your next swing, the flight/path the ball must take and the successful outcome of your ball settling at your target.

Yes, you are where you are because of a bad swing, or multiple bad swings, however it takes only one good swing to right the ship. Focus on THAT swing and you'll be fine.

Richard

I usually agree with your posts and respect your positive thoughts, but I don't think a 15 capper has a "normal" preshot routine. I also don't think a high capper knows how to disseminate between their good swings and bad swings. Their odds of fixing their bad swings on the course is as great as them making two consecutive birdies, if not worse. This is my .02 after watching hundreds of high handicappers and being there myself at certain times in my golf life.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Richard

I usually agree with your posts and respect your positive thoughts, but I don't think a 15 capper has a "normal" preshot routine. I also don't think a high capper knows how to disseminate between their good swings and bad swings. Their odds of fixing their bad swings on the course is as great as them making two consecutive birdies, if not worse. This is my .02 after watching hundreds of high handicappers and being there myself at certain times in my golf life.

I agree and as I reread it I thought exactly what you said because most mid/high cappers are on the side of the "bridge" that my Teacher always spoke of where one goes from playing swing, swing thoughts and positions with either no PSR or an erratic one at best to crossing the "bridge" and Playing Golf, applying the mental side and going through their PSR and visualizing their next swing, next shot and the outcome.

Well, maybe at least slow down and be selfish and think only of themselves and that next shot and not their playing partners, the group behind em or the guys waiting for em to hit so they can cross the fairway for their next shot at immortality. I'm not advocating slow play, just getting to their ball, taking a deep breath and playing a high percentage shot, whatever that is for them.

Excellent points though.

I guess ya have to start somewhere and a lot of guys have "blow up" holes by hitting a terrible shot or a decent shot with a terrible break or bounce and then they try to get it back in one shot with a miracle shot that a Plus would have to work to hit.

Take your medicine, accept the shot and penalty, whether it be stroke, lie or a combination and just hit a shot puts you in a good position for bogus. Of you've got penalties in there, ok, add em in and then play for the next lowest REALISTIC score.

Hell, I visualized a nice swing before I had one and we gotta start somewhere so they might as well start when they suck or are in the s***, hahaha

I see ya Play the #8!!

Gorgeous putter and that's My backup to my 8802~

Great putter!!

Stay well My Friend :)

My Best,

RP

Ever try shortening your driver shaft? Good chance that you'll make better contact more often and stay in play.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

To quote Dr. Bob Rotella, "Conservative strategy, cocky swing."

The first rule of holes is STOP DIGGING. When you find that things are going sideways, look for the most aggressive line that you KNOW you can hit 100 times out of 100.

Example:

1) 2nd hole the other day, I was blocked behind a tree on the left in the rough. It was a par 5 and I just needed to advance it 50 yards to still have a reasonable third. But a hook around the tree opened the fairway another 100 yards. If there's anything I can do, it's hit a hook. So I did.

B) a few days ago (also par 5) I was in the left rough against a big bushy thing. No stance. My options were to take a drop onto a massive side hill lie in the rough and try to reach the green in 3 from there, or play backwards. I knew I could play backwards 100 times out of 100 which left me in the fairway for my 3rd.

Unfortunately that was as aggressive as I could get and pull it off 100 times out of 100. The other options were 1% shots for me.

I made 6 on that par 5 but at least it wasn't 8-10.

Haney likes to say eliminate penalties, two chips and three putts. I don't care much for him, but that's solid advice regardless your level of play.

Don't compound your mistakes, and get those negative thoughts out of your mind. If you are thinking positively, you have a lot better chance of hitting a good shot. Give each shot that you play your full attention.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

If you're playing to "save face", that's already a problem. Anyway, yes, they happen to single digit caps. My last 3 rounds have been like 86-77-83 (those were from a variety of slope/ratings).

In the 86, I had 3 doubles. In the 83, I had a triple and two doubles. But, I'm not a 5 cap because I shoot 77 every time out. I'm a 5 cap because I shoot 77 often enough. Sometimes I have 3 rounds straight with 1 double. Sometimes I have 2 rounds without a double and then another round with 3 doubles. Same number of bad shots, different effect on the handicap.

The first responder said "get better at golf". It's true. It's a numbers game. How likely are you to hit a bad shot on any shot?

The way I think about it, when you're a 15 handicapper, there's a, say, 30% chance on any shot that you hit a crappy shot. Sometimes, you just string them together.

When you're a 5 handicapper, there's a 10% chance on any shot that you hit a crappy shot. There's less likely a chance that you string them together.

When you're a pro, there's a 2% chance on any shot that you hit a crappy shot. You can go a whole round without hitting a bad shot.

Those percentages are made up, but you get the idea. You can "try" to hit the shot you know you can hit, but if you're not good at golf, what does that even mean?

When you're a 15 capper, you don't just go out and make 18 bogeys and play "consistent". You make pars, occasional birdies, and bunch of doubles and triples. And you make doubles and triples because you're too likely to hit a bad shot. And that increases the percentage of the time you string them together.

We like to try to discern patterns in randomness. We like to look back on a blow up hole and come up with a STORY for why you had one. You were trying to hard, or trying a hero shot after one bad shot, or you hit one fat, so you corrected, and hit one thin. How about this : you're going to go out on a given day and take 90 strokes, 50 shots and 40 putts because you're a 15 handicapper. Those 50 shots can be spread out evenly, or they can be clumped together. True randomness looks more clumpy than most people think.

All you can do is try to reduce the 50 to 49, then 48, then 47, etc etc etc. And pretty soon, you have fewer blow up holes.

That's a long way of saying "get better at golf."

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

LOL............don't play.

Let's see, this week I saw Brooks Koepka make 6 on the first hole of a playoff at the AT&T Nelson. Earlier this year, watched some kid at The Masters hit two in the water on #12 and lose the tournament. I'm sure there are other recent examples at this level but these guys are the best players in the world.

Like others have said, if something goes sideways, try to limit the damage. It takes a lot of discipline to just get the ball back in play and not to try and hit the miracle shot to "save" par which generally turns into a double or worse.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

It come from trying too hard. Relax and play more conservative and you will be surprised what you can shoot.

For instance - you have 2XX yards in on a par four. you could hit a 3 wood and you might pull it off 2/10 times, but if you miss what are you left with? Or you could hit 7 iron/wedge in. The second option limits you chance at par and take birdie out of the picture, but it also take a big a number out of the conversation.

Knowing when to play defence helps.

Of course, as a 15 cap some time you just hit a terrible shot or two that will cost you.