Pure745's 2014 Shootout - Update 6/15/14

Pure745

As always, the write-ups, info and photos are all top notch. Thanks a lot for doing this!

If Golf Digest was serious about putting some [i]real[/i] info out there, the first thing they should do is send you a LARGE shipment of demos and pay you handsomely to write next year's Hot List.

For the record... I'd also love to see how the Amp Cell Pro stacks up for you against all of the other stuff you've tested. If you ever want to borrow one for a few days, just let me know.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review and I agree with your findings. Recently went out of my way to hit the Gelong CT214 and although it seems hotter, it's not as manageable as my current drivers. Of course I did hit the stock 47" shaft, which felt unwieldy but still resulted in straight drives. I talked with the rep and he's currently gaming the driver but cut it down to a more standard length.

I also found the newer Callaway drivers unimpressive - both the BB and BBA - in both distance and dispersion. I then tried the Cleveland 588 Custom and Ping's i25 and was very impressed with the i25 (the Cleveland surprisingly was no slouch either). I was getting good distance compared to the other drivers and the forgiveness was there.

Now mind you this was all on a launch monitor but I was still able to make comparisons between clubs. I'm now thinking about pulling the trigger on the i25 when it comes out in a few days, although before that I'd like to get fitted through their nFlight program since they apparently offer 3 different shaft weights in stiff and tour stiff configurations and I'm not sure which one would work best for me. I also didn't mind the racing stripe - it appears muted and not too distracting.

Titleist 8.5* TS3 Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff
Titleist 15* TS2 3W Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff
Titleist 19* TS2 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 Stiff 
Callaway Apex 19 4-AW TT Elevate 95 Stiff
Cobra King Pur Wedge 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Cleveland CBX Wedge 60* TT 115g
 Odyssey V Line Arm Lock Putter

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1392155286' post='8646695']
This type of thread is why I keep coming back to the equipment section on this site. Honest reports from someone who knows his #### and great pictures, always. Keep it coming man!

Well done. It's quite nice to see honest feedback across the board without having to wade through a 70+ page thread of back-and-forth inside jokes, a** grabbing and

"Dude, that is trick!"
"No bro, that is sick!!!!"
"Phil actually exhaled some air in same room where my wedge was being stamped!"
[/quote]

Haha! I appreciate the comments, and love the examples.. 100% agree with you on those. Trying to find info on a club and reading through countless pages of that stuff is what lead me to start doing these types of reviews. :drinks:

[quote name='GeorgeL' timestamp='1392161000' post='8647455']
Excellent review and I agree with your findings. Recently went out of my way to hit the Gelong CT214 and although it seems hotter, it's not as manageable as my current drivers. Of course I did hit the stock 47" shaft, which felt unwieldy but still resulted in straight drives. I talked with the rep and he's currently gaming the driver but cut it down to a more standard length.

I also found the newer Callaway drivers unimpressive - both the BB and BBA - in both distance and dispersion. I then tried the Cleveland 588 Custom and Ping's i25 and was very impressed with the i25 (the Cleveland surprisingly was no slouch either). I was getting good distance compared to the other drivers and the forgiveness was there.

Now mind you this was all on a launch monitor but I was still able to make comparisons between clubs. I'm now thinking about pulling the trigger on the i25 when it comes out in a few days, although before that I'd like to get fitted through their nFlight program since they apparently offer 3 different shaft weights in stiff and tour stiff configurations and I'm not sure which one would work best for me. I also didn't mind the racing stripe - it appears muted and not too distracting.
[/quote]

GelongD is a beast, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after hitting one dialed in to your specs in length and shaft.. I especially love the way it looks. The BBA has definitely been hyped out of control, I was not overly impressed at all and still think the Gravity Core is a gimmick. The i25 sounds very interesting, I just really wish they didn't do the racing stripes! The hybrid looks amazing, I really want to try that club.. I hope to get all of these clubs out on a Trackman just to see a few #'s but we will see.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1392155286' post='8646695']
This type of thread is why I keep coming back to the equipment section on this site. Honest reports from someone who knows his #### and great pictures, always. Keep it coming man!

Well done. It's quite nice to see honest feedback across the board without having to wade through a 70+ page thread of back-and-forth inside jokes, a** grabbing and

"Dude, that is trick!"
"No bro, that is sick!!!!"
"Phil actually exhaled some air in same room where my wedge was being stamped!"
[/quote]

I would love to be able to say that last one

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1392174293' post='8649219']
GelongD is a beast, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after hitting one dialed in to your specs in length and shaft.. I especially love the way it looks. The BBA has definitely been hyped out of control, I was not overly impressed at all and still think the Gravity Core is a gimmick. The i25 sounds very interesting, I just really wish they didn't do the racing stripes! The hybrid looks amazing, I really want to try that club.. I hope to get all of these clubs out on a Trackman just to see a few #'s but we will see.
[/quote]

I know I keep insisting on the i25, but I do not think the stripes are that noticeable. However, as I have said before, I prefer the racing stripes over that half moon on the other lines.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1391982121' post='8631113']
[quote name='kyle75' timestamp='1391974494' post='8630315']
Just got a chance to test out the Speeder 757 in my 3wood. I love the shaft, one of the best I have hit in a long time. It def is going in my 3wood and driver. Fujikura hit it out of the park with this one
[/quote]

It's a great shaft, I would also suggest trying the 661 in the driver for a lighter weight option. So far I have found the 661 to be very stable and smooth, dispersion and spin are good and distance has been good too. Waiting for more rounds with it before writing my review on the Covert 2.0 setup, but so far I'm very happy!
[/quote] I will try the 661 in my driver to. I also want to try the new Fujikura Pro shaft that is coming out soon. It has great graphics and sounds like it might be a powerhouse of a shaft. Hopefully it will come out while I am still in Naples and get hit on the course.

You know how many members would love to have your resources to do what you for the community? - provide unbiased review and bring out sheer jealousy!

Always a good read...

Time you invited Kekoa back so you can show him how a +2 plays

;)

BTW, which one did you join...Shady Canyon???

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='kyle75' timestamp='1392241761' post='8654607']
Just got a chance to test out the Speeder 757 in my 3wood. I love the shaft, one of the best I have hit in a long time. It def is going in my 3wood and driver. Fujikura hit it out of the park with this one
[/quote]

It's a great shaft, I would also suggest trying the 661 in the driver for a lighter weight option. So far I have found the 661 to be very stable and smooth, dispersion and spin are good and distance has been good too. Waiting for more rounds with it before writing my review on the Covert 2.0 setup, but so far I'm very happy!
[/quote]

I will try the 661 in my driver to. I also want to try the new Fujikura Pro shaft that is coming out soon. It has great graphics and sounds like it might be a powerhouse of a shaft. Hopefully it will come out while I am still in Naples and get hit on the course.
[/quote]

The Fuji Pro Tour Specs will be interesting when they come out, I agree the graphics look cool but the Speeder 661/757 look really cool too. More importantly, I think the feel of the 661/757 is much improved over the .2 TS line.. I had a pretty bad shoulder/elbow strain last week and I haven't been able to swing a club since last week so my reviews have been delayed. I had physical therapy today so hopefully that speeds up the process and I think I might have found a better outdoor Trackman spot to get some numbers from these setups and compare that with what I am seeing on the course.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Let us know how those go, Tai! I'm genuinely interested in the 661 for a driver, but I hope it would spin enough for my just-lower-than-mid/mid desires.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Pure745 just been reading it and quality reviewing thanks very much,some amazing woods and shafts you have there,thanks again

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

Great job Pure. Can't wait to read more about the CT/661.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Tai,

If you want to try some other shafts in the Coverts, let me know. I have a few that I can ship to you that might make things interesting.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Pure, first time reading through here. I have to say you do a very nice job! A shame we're on opposite sides of the country because I'd like to play a few rounds with you. Stay classy bud!

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to B1), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW & SW - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), DG TI S400

LW - Titleist Vokey SM8 60L, DG TI S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1392265840' post='8657437']
[quote name='kyle75' timestamp='1392241761' post='8654607']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I will try the 661 in my driver to. I also want to try the new Fujikura Pro shaft that is coming out soon. It has great graphics and sounds like it might be a powerhouse of a shaft. Hopefully it will come out while I am still in Naples and get hit on the course.
[/quote]

The Fuji Pro Tour Specs will be interesting when they come out, I agree the graphics look cool but the Speeder 661/757 look really cool too. More importantly, I think the feel of the 661/757 is much improved over the .2 TS line.. I had a pretty bad shoulder/elbow strain last week and I haven't been able to swing a club since last week so my reviews have been delayed. I had physical therapy today so hopefully that speeds up the process and I think I might have found a better outdoor Trackman spot to get some numbers from these setups and compare that with what I am seeing on the course.
[/quote] I got out on the course today and it was pretty windy. Got a chance to try the Speeder 661 in my SLDR and it was really good. It is def as long or longer than my current shaft. A lot of the holes were directly with the wind or dead into it, so it was hard to get a true feel on the length. It def was more accurate than my current shaft and less demanding. The looks have really grown on me to. Thinking of going Speeder 661/757 in the woods and KBS Custom white in my irons. Looks like this vacation just got a lot more expensive.

Kyle,
Can you further comment on the 661/757 being an improvement on the .2 TS line? What is better in your opinion?

Loved the TS 6.2 and regret selling it. Loved the original 757 too.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1392329853' post='8662355']
Kyle,
Can you further comment on the 661/757 being an improvement on the .2 TS line? What is better in your opinion?

[/quote]I have liked the TS 6.2 a lot, but I always felt like it was a little to boardy for me. The Speeder 661/757 feels a lot smoother to me. It feels more forgiving to me, but still has the same great performance like the TS .2. I really agree with Pure, when he said the feel was much improved with them.

[quote name='kyle75' timestamp='1392346591' post='8664425']
[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1392329853' post='8662355']
Kyle,

[/quote]I have liked the TS 6.2 a lot, but I always felt like it was a little to boardy for me. The Speeder 661/757 feels a lot smoother to me. It feels more forgiving to me, but still has the same great performance like the TS .2. I really agree with Pure, when he said the feel was much improved with them.
[/quote]

The shaft also feels a little more lively to me overall, I hit a few balls that were just surprisingly long without as much effort as I have to put into loading the 7.2TS. I was a little worried about the 661 being too spinny and loose.. but it is really solid with the tipping (1.75"). The 757 in the 3WD is a monster.. that is for sure. After my elbow/shoulder heal fully I will be able to get more time in with the Covert setup, and also I plan on getting everything out on the Trackman.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1392311647' post='8660009']
Tai,

If you want to try some other shafts in the Coverts, let me know. I have a few that I can ship to you that might make things interesting.
[/quote]

A mystery shipment of shafts from Stage? I would be scared to even open that package :) I'll keep you posted, I think this 661/757 might be a winner, and I have a few other things up my sleeve as well. Thanks for the offer though, I might take you up on it.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1392347080' post='8664473']
Tai,

[/quote]

A mystery shipment of shafts from Stage? I would be scared to even open that package :) I'll keep you posted, I think this 661/757 might be a winner, and I have a few other things up my sleeve as well. Thanks for the offer though, I might take you up on it.
[/quote]

You make me want to try them in the SLDRs. The Speeder TS 7.2 destroyed my Oban W 75 in the three wood.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392352026' post='8665067']
Tai,

[/quote]

[/quote]

You make me want to try them in the SLDRs. The Speeder TS 7.2 destroyed my Oban W 75 in the three wood.
[/quote]

I even want to try them in the SLDR's.. so far I'm really impressed with the new line. I'm surprised by your KW numbers in the 3 wood, I wonder how it performs on the course? BB-8x v. 757x v. Kiyoshi White would be a nice little shootout.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1392352748' post='8665127']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392352026' post='8665067']
Tai,

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I even want to try them in the SLDR's.. so far I'm really impressed with the new line. I'm surprised by your KW numbers in the 3 wood, I wonder how it performs on the course? BB-8x v. 757x v. Kiyoshi White would be a nice little shootout.
[/quote]

I might start with a 661 and if I like that I will try the 757 in the 3 wood.

[quote name='ckay' timestamp='1392348149' post='8664593']
Where did you get that ping bag??
[/quote]

It's an all white Mascot, I found it on ebay over a year ago.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='zwhitworth' timestamp='1392505443' post='8675993']
How much did you tip the AD BB in the SLDR Driver?
[/quote]

1" in the driver and 1.5" in the 3WD.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Pure ,Thanks for Great review as always. I've read a few people not thinking the alpha is big jump over rfe so think I will probably be staying with rfe. But as for the 3 wood were you able to hit the Bertha and if so how would you compare it to the rfe? Really like my rfe but the Bertha is screaming at me. Thanks again

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1392578163' post='8680311']
Pure ,Thanks for Great review as always. I've read a few people not thinking the alpha is big jump over rfe so think I will probably be staying with rfe. But as for the 3 wood were you able to hit the Bertha and if so how would you compare it to the rfe? Really like my rfe but the Bertha is screaming at me. Thanks again
[/quote]

If you like the RFE, I would try the Alpha out.. Last year in my shootout, the 913's barely edged out the RFE's, so I definitely think the RFE's are really solid, both the driver and 3wd. If I was still using the RFE, the BBA would be on my hot list to see if I can dial in a few extra yards etc., and if it's worth the extra $$ for you. For me, the BBA has some serious competition with some of the other clubs I am trying, and with the massive social media hype, and the Gravity Core innovation was supposed to be like going from steel to titanium.. I just didn't see it :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ