Pure745's 2014 Shootout - Update 6/15/14

Pure745

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1393349815' post='8742308']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393348846' post='8742220']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393344381' post='8741714']
What's the paint like on that Rogue? It it smooth or textured? Does it feel like something that is going to come off?
[/quote]

Feels kind of like rubbery paint.. don't think it will come off, but doesn't strike me as being super durable.
[/quote]

that sounds like the MATRIX OZIK CODE series original paint. i also remember the TP6/7 being that way...
[/quote]

That's exactly what it feels like.

[quote name='potuna' timestamp='1393372463' post='8744974']
Have me wanting to try 661 in the driver and 757 in my mystery 3 wood. I have 7.2 TS in my Adams XTD Ti and it's the best 3 wood I've ever had, 7.2 feels pretty good to me.
[/quote]

Pete, I think the 661/757 might fit your swing pretty nicely. Might be an easier shaft for you to load and pick up more distance, dispersion would be a toss up.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snuck out for 9 holes today.. I made an adjustment to the CT 2.0 on the range and turned it from the RIGHT setting to NEUTRAL.. I took it on the range, and it probably bumped the spin up enough that I could tell a difference on the course. Ball flight was higher and very straight, which was nice, but definitely bumped the spin up quite a bit. Kind of weird, but figured I would post it, the RIGHT setting is much lower in spin (and more fade biased).

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393466408' post='8754056']
Snuck out for 9 holes today.. I made an adjustment to the CT 2.0 on the range and turned it from the RIGHT setting to NEUTRAL.. I took it on the range, and it probably bumped the spin up enough that I could tell a difference on the course. Ball flight was higher and very straight, which was nice, but definitely bumped the spin up quite a bit. Kind of weird, but figured I would post it, the RIGHT setting is much lower in spin (and more fade biased).
[/quote]

This is where Trackman and a good fitter are useful. Confirm what you are seeing in "real life" and optimize the combo so you don't have to tinker and wonder.

[/quote]
To me, your findings make sense. RIGHT = open = lower launch + fade bias + lower spin.
However, I'm ignorant of Nike's adaptor system. I know their are arguments re: independent adjustability.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1393482568' post='8755926']
[/quote]
To me, your findings make sense. RIGHT = open = lower launch + fade bias + lower spin.
However, I'm ignorant of Nike's adaptor system. I know their are arguments re: independent adjustability.
[/quote]

Yeah, to me it makes sense too. However, the independent adjustability is what was throwing me off. I love the 661 on the RIGHT setting, but if you handed me the 661 to try on the NEUTRAL setting, I would tell you it spun too much lol! I guess that's one thing I really like about the SLDR, you can put it on any setting and it's still really low spin. Also, on the Nike, when you got from RIGHT to NEUTRAL, the face doesn't look to shut down too much and still looks open to square.. and if you go from N to R, the face doesn't look that open at all.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393515317' post='8757528']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, to me it makes sense too. However, the independent adjustability is what was throwing me off. I love the 661 on the RIGHT setting, but if you handed me the 661 to try on the NEUTRAL setting, I would tell you it spun too much lol! I guess that's one thing I really like about the SLDR, you can put it on any setting and it's still really low spin. Also, on the Nike, when you got from RIGHT to NEUTRAL, the face doesn't look to shut down too much and still looks open to square.. and if you go from N to R, the face doesn't look that open at all.
[/quote]

The spin difference between N and R is more noticeable in the 2.0 tour than the SLDR. There is a published TMAG document that I am looking for that shows loft and spin at difference settings. You would be surprised how much you can decrease spin by playing the SLDR in the open position. From my testing/fitting the 2.0 tour in R setting and SLDR in the N position spin within 100-200 rpm with the same shaft. N vs N or R vs OPEN - advantage TMAG by 300-400 rpm.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1391907252' post='8626113']
Thanks for all the comments guys. This is from the other day.. I hit my CT2.0 w/ 661x side by side outdoors with a BBA with ZT. I hit a few good shots with the BBA, but overall I wasn't blown away by it. There has been some discussion back and forth in my WITB thread, figured I would post it here as well. There has been a lot of discussion about this driver and the Gravity Core etc. on here, so I had some pretty high expectations of the BBA before hitting it. I will say it's a nice driver, but I didn't think it was a huge improvement over the RFE. A Callaway savvy member said the Gravity Core can adjust spin between 200-400 RPM, IMHO I don't think that the average golfer would be able to tell a significant difference on the golf course. Again, these were my initial impressions.. I plan to hit it more on the course before I rule this one out.. but initially, not overly impressed.

[/quote]

How was the Alpha for distance? I am going back and forth between choosing the Alpha the SLDR 460, or the BioCell standard. I am hearing a lot of good things about the Cobra. Which of the options would you say is the longest?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1393518076' post='8757886']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393515317' post='8757528']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The spin difference between N and R is more noticeable in the 2.0 tour than the SLDR. There is a published TMAG document that I am looking for that shows loft and spin at difference settings. You would be surprised how much you can decrease spin by playing the SLDR in the open position. From my testing/fitting the 2.0 tour in R setting and SLDR in the N position spin within 100-200 rpm with the same shaft. N vs N or R vs OPEN - advantage TMAG by 300-400 rpm.
[/quote]

[attachment=2089806:post-12966-0-86618300-1391011132.jpg]

When I tested my SLDR on Trackman I started at 2 click open and then worked my way to 1 click closed. 2 Open I was at 12 launch and 2000 spin, 1 closed I ended up at 14.5 launch and 2400 spin.

That's funny; 1 notch closed has proven to be the sweet spot for me as well (10.5* set to 11*, slide bar two notches toward fade). My most prevalent miss tends to be a straight push, and making this adjustment has really made my driver more reliable under the gun.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1393518076' post='8757886']
[/quote]

I would say that on the course, the spin difference between settings has to be in the 750 range, it's that noticeable. Played 18 today for the first time since my 3 weeks of PT, pretty rusty overall. I'm thinking the SLDR might be the one.. the 2.0 is really good, but that SLDR is just so hard to beat. My swing is still tentative and I'm babying it through impact because of the elbow, but the way the ball comes off the SLDR is going to be tough to beat.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1393518992' post='8758008']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1391907252' post='8626113']
Thanks for all the comments guys. This is from the other day.. I hit my CT2.0 w/ 661x side by side outdoors with a BBA with ZT. I hit a few good shots with the BBA, but overall I wasn't blown away by it. There has been some discussion back and forth in my WITB thread, figured I would post it here as well. There has been a lot of discussion about this driver and the Gravity Core etc. on here, so I had some pretty high expectations of the BBA before hitting it. I will say it's a nice driver, but I didn't think it was a huge improvement over the RFE. A Callaway savvy member said the Gravity Core can adjust spin between 200-400 RPM, IMHO I don't think that the average golfer would be able to tell a significant difference on the golf course. Again, these were my initial impressions.. I plan to hit it more on the course before I rule this one out.. but initially, not overly impressed.

[/quote]

How was the Alpha for distance? I am going back and forth between choosing the Alpha the SLDR 460, or the BioCell standard. I am hearing a lot of good things about the Cobra. Which of the options would you say is the longest?
[/quote]

I hit the BBA today with a WB73x, it was better than the ZT, but still not drastically longer from what I have seen, than the RFE. It's a nice club, looks good, not a huge fan of the sound, but a solid driver. I haven't hit the BioCell, but I would say if you're looking for length, the SLDR 430 is the longest I have hit, and then the 460 and BBA would be very long as well with the proper shaft. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, just make sure to get fit.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Tai,
Great write up once again. I just got fit through Club Fix and ordered the SLDR 460 with the Oban Kiyoshi purple 85 stiff. Completely shocked as I'm going from the Cally RFE w/ Fuji TS 7.2x. But, it is a bomber! I can turn it over at will so that works for me.
You say the nike wedges are more playable than the Fourteens. In what way? I have fallen in love with them and have even called Nick to beg for any other lefty offerings... no luck.
Let me know how the Rogue works out for you. I am on the look out for a 95 gr fairway wood shaft when I decide on a new 3 wood,

Titleist TSi3, 9.0*/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 75 x stiff;
Titleist TSi2 13.5*/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Black 85 x stiff;
Titleist U505 3 iron/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff:
Cobra Forged Tec 4- PW/ KBS C Taper 120 stiff/ hard stepped once;
Vokey SM9 50*F/TKBS C Taper 120 x stiff;
Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200;
Vokey Custom Grind 58*T/ TT DG Tour Issue s400;
Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"; Titleist Pro Pro V1

Pretty crazy, looking at the chart Scratchswinger posted, really is interesting.

I started at the [b]9.5 set to 1 click HIGHER which would be: 10˚/1˚ CLOSED/spin @ 0[/b]

Went up in loft and set it on 1 click lower to get an open face, but look at the this:

[b]10.5 on 1 click LOWER would be: 10˚/1˚ OPEN/spin @ -500[/b]

For this exact reason, I have thought the SLDR has so many ways to dial a player in. I haven't seen many driver that allow for you to accomplish the same goal in ball flight but really dial it in to almost exactly like you would want it. In my case, I'm accomplishing the same effective loft with 2 different lofted heads, but I can get the same loft with 1˚ open face angle (which I prefer) and it also knocks the spin down. Pretty interesting!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Tai I have a couple stupid questions for you.
Do you play your CT 2.0 at the stock length? If not did you have to do anything to the head for weight?
I believe the stock length is like 45.75 or is 45.25? If I get the 661 in stiff at 44.25 will this play to stiff for me or will I have to add any weight to it?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1393783841' post='8778588']
Do you play your CT 2.0 at the stock length? If not did you have to do anything to the head for weight?
I believe the stock length is like 45.75 or is 45.25? If I get the 661 in stiff at 44.25 will this play to stiff for me or will I have to add any weight to it?
[/quote]

I play it at 45", and it SW's at D5.5ish. My club guy commented at how heavy the 2.0 is. I think at 44.5" it would be around D4-D4.5ish, so you should be good at 44.25". If anything, maybe go 44.5" just to be safe, but the 2.0 swing weights very heavy, you should be fine.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393789295' post='8779168']
[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1393783841' post='8778588']
[/quote]

I play it at 45", and it SW's at D5.5ish. My club guy commented at how heavy the 2.0 is. I think at 44.5" it would be around D4-D4.5ish, so you should be good at 44.25". If anything, maybe go 44.5" just to be safe, but the 2.0 swing weights very heavy, you should be fine.
[/quote]
Cool thanks tai. Do you know if I take a inch off the shaft will it still have that great feel as the stock length or will it feel like a telephone pole?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It should be fine, the 661 is very smooth. I would error on ordering it .5" too long, so 44.5" just to be safe. You can always cut it down later and avoid putting in an extension.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='pearls24' timestamp='1391894929' post='8624973']
Pure I met your buddy from Fourteen at the PGA Show Demo Day- really nice dude. I hit the FH1000 really well. I think I hit about 20 balls with the 6 iron within 10 ft of each other. Great feeling blades and very easy to hit. I need to hit the 2.0 Tour driver with the right shaft/length cuz the one I hit at the Demo Day was too long and not stiff enough. Really liked the look of it more then I thought I would. But I was very impressed with the Alpha with Kuro Proto shaft. Was hitting bombs with it and thought the head setup really nice. Also hit the 430 SLDR with the AD DI and that felt pretty sweet too.
[/quote]if I had a an extra $1200 (lol) FH1000 would be in my bag...here there is actually quite a bit of help in these MB'S...hit em at store and they were fantastic but course is different so....regardless nicest looking head out currently imo...have owned 910 and 710 so I know feel is definetly there......cant say same bout their wedges though...kind of a firmer feel on RM series....beatiful but lil clicky to me...think they do something different in wedges as far as forging is concerned

Elbow is finally feeling better, I would say about 90% now, hit some balls yesterday when the rain cleared to try to knock some of the rust off my swing, I plan on getting out to the Trackman next week just trying to decide on the location. I was going through the list of clubs/shafts I'm going to be testing/reviewing and right now it looks like this:

Drivers:

SLDR 460 TXXXX 10.5˚
SLDR 430 10.5˚
Covert 2.0 Tour
Fourteen GelongD CT214
Ping i25 (pending)
BB Alpha (pending)

Shafts:

Aldila Rogue
Aldila ATX Tour Blue
Fuji Speeder 661
Fuji Speeder 757
Fuji TS 7.2
Matrix TPHDe 6 and 7
AD-BB 6

3 Woods:

SLDR
Covert 2.0 Tour/Performance
SYB 714 (Mystery 3 wood)
Ping i25 (pending)
BB Alpha (pending)

I have almost everything in hand, just waiting for a few things to arrive. Some of the shafts are already installed in certain heads, but if I really fall in love with one of the heads, I might have to do some swapping later. I'm hoping to do my Trackman session at a place that has a full fitting cart for Ping and BBA, not sure I can justify spending the $ on those just yet. I will probably end up taking the top combos out on the course for at least 2-3 rounds each to get a really good idea and then write up final reviews and feedback for the top combos, and some notes on anything that didn't make the cut.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Can't wait to hear the reviews!!! Especially the Nike vs. Ping reviews. Keep us updated!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

I think everyone is just waiting for the selloff on the ones that don't make the cut... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1393863208' post='8787234']
I think everyone is just waiting for the selloff on the ones that don't make the cut... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You ever try out those Modus 120TX's? The FH1000 PC's I got have them in there, interested to hear what you thought of them.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Elpresidente' timestamp='1393869362' post='8787990']
I already asked it but maybe you have not read it. I know you played a FUBUK k in the last years how would you compare the Speeder 661 to the Fubuki K 6x. I'm on the way to buy a Sldr 430, now i have a RBZ TOUR 9 with a FUBUKI K x and i love the feel of it.

Thanks
[/quote]

Sorry man, the Fubuki K is really nice and smooth but I like the Speeder line better. Still very smooth, but I like the launch/spin better. I would try both of them out to see how they feel, the new Speeder would be a nice shaft for you in you like the feel of the K, you might like it better.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393861157' post='8786940']
Elbow is finally feeling better, I would say about 90% now, hit some balls yesterday when the rain cleared to try to knock some of the rust off my swing, I plan on getting out to the Trackman next week just trying to decide on the location. I was going through the list of clubs/shafts I'm going to be testing/reviewing and right now it looks like this:

Drivers:

SLDR 460 TXXXX 10.5˚
SLDR 430 10.5˚
Covert 2.0 Tour
Fourteen GelongD CT214
Ping i25 (pending)
BB Alpha (pending)

Shafts:

Aldila Rogue
Aldila ATX Tour Blue
Fuji Speeder 661
Fuji Speeder 757
Fuji TS 7.2
Matrix TPHDe 6 and 7
AD-BB 6

3 Woods:

SLDR
Covert 2.0 Tour/Performance
SYB 714 (Mystery 3 wood)
Ping i25 (pending)
BB Alpha (pending)

I have almost everything in hand, just waiting for a few things to arrive. Some of the shafts are already installed in certain heads, but if I really fall in love with one of the heads, I might have to do some swapping later. I'm hoping to do my Trackman session at a place that has a full fitting cart for Ping and BBA, not sure I can justify spending the $ on those just yet. I will probably end up taking the top combos out on the course for at least 2-3 rounds each to get a really good idea and then write up final reviews and feedback for the top combos, and some notes on anything that didn't make the cut.
[/quote]

G25 Driver w/ Oban Black?
TEE XCG7's??? They will be to long probably.