Pure745's 2014 Shootout - Update 6/15/14

Pure745

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1394426031' post='8837689']
I just want it find a head that performs as well as the RBZ a Tour does on center strikes.
[/quote]
Wow! Got to see that I was not the only one that thought the RBZ Tour was a bomber. If someone said "THE SLDR IS LIKE THE RBZ TOUR" then it would be on..

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1394422810' post='8837373']
Best miss on the SLDR is high or low, both maintain relatively low spin and only lose ball speed. For me..... Other heads spin a lot when I miss low, not so much with the SLDR.
[/quote]

I've had pretty much the same experiences, toe hits on the other hand...

WITB Link

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1394439808' post='8838061']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1394422810' post='8837373']
Best miss on the SLDR is high or low, both maintain relatively low spin and only lose ball speed. For me..... Other heads spin a lot when I miss low, not so much with the SLDR.
[/quote]

I've had pretty much the same experiences, toe hits on the other hand...
[/quote]

Come to think of it, high on the face is really good too, but I was shocked at the low miss, that thing is a bullet!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Quick weekend rundown.. as some of you know I was out for like 4 weeks doing physical therapy with a elbow/tricep/shouder tendon strain (or something like that) that turned out to be way more serious that the tennis elbow I thought it was, anyways, I got 80% healed up before this weekend which was a 5-day birthday weekend/tournament event. So I played 5 days straight, with a tournament (not a serious one) on Sat and Sun.

One of the guys had his own Trackman and we were messing around with shafts, but I only had my SLDR 460 tour head, but brought a few shafts. The course we played was semi-tight and I didn't want to mess around too much when we were playing, plus I was pretty rusty from not playing or practicing at all for a month. At the end of the day, the Rogue was my go-to shaft. It feels very stable, and the dispersion was so much tighter than the BB that it wasn't even close. My misses were surprisingly straight where my BB would just go offline and keep going. I also had the ATX Green 75 and 105 in my 3 wood and hybrid and they seemed fine as well. I'm going to do my own Trackman session with all my stuff and different heads probably this week or next once I get some time. Also, the TPHDe shafts have been replaced by the Matrix Tour Proto's (the new blue shafts).

I also got a chance to swing a i15 with Elements Chrome but in a stiff flex.. I just wanted to feel the head, it feels good, but the shaft was way too loose for me to get a good idea of performance. But hey, I hit a Ping club ;)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394471437' post='8840393']
Quick weekend rundown.. as some of you know I was out for like 4 weeks doing physical therapy with a elbow/tricep/shouder tendon strain (or something like that) that turned out to be way more serious that the tennis elbow I thought it was, anyways, I got 80% healed up before this weekend which was a 5-day birthday weekend/tournament event. So I played 5 days straight, with a tournament (not a serious one) on Sat and Sun.

One of the guys had his own Trackman and we were messing around with shafts, but I only had my SLDR 460 tour head, but brought a few shafts. The course we played was semi-tight and I didn't want to mess around too much when we were playing, plus I was pretty rusty from not playing or practicing at all for a month. At the end of the day, the Rogue was my go-to shaft. It feels very stable, and the dispersion was so much tighter than the BB that it wasn't even close. My misses were surprisingly straight where my BB would just go offline and keep going. I also had the ATX Green 75 and 105 in my 3 wood and hybrid and they seemed fine as well. I'm going to do my own Trackman session with all my stuff and different heads probably this week or next once I get some time. Also, the TPHDe shafts have been replaced by the Matrix Tour Proto's (the new blue shafts).

I also got a chance to swing a i15 with Elements Chrome but in a stiff flex.. I just wanted to feel the head, it feels good, but the shaft was way too loose for me to get a good idea of performance. But hey, I hit a Ping club ;)
[/quote]

i15 or i25? Any chance you'll give it another shot with the correct shaft flex? I've stayed away from Ping for a while, but the new i25 head felt really good when I gave it a go.

^^^ Oops, meant the i25.. the new model with the stripes. I plan on hitting it more with the correct shaft, I just wanted to get a feel for it, I knew the shaft was going to be too soft.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394471437' post='8840393']

[/quote]

How do you like the ATX Green 75 & 105? Ive been looking at going with those, as well, for my SLDR 3 wood and hybrid. I also like the feel and performance of the Speeder 8.3 TS. How do you think they compare?

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1394438201' post='8838043']
I just want it find a head that performs as well as the RBZ a Tour does on center strikes.
[/quote]
Wow! Got to see that I was not the only one that thought the RBZ Tour was a bomber. If someone said "THE SLDR IS LIKE THE RBZ TOUR" then it would be on..
[/quote]

I like the SLDR better for a few reasons, but it's definitely NOT like the RBZ Tour. Both are amazing drivers.. and both bombers.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393864062' post='8787328']
[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1393863208' post='8787234']
I think everyone is just waiting for the selloff on the ones that don't make the cut... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You ever try out those Modus 120TX's? The FH1000 PC's I got have them in there, interested to hear what you thought of them.
[/quote]

Hey pure. Firstly, thanks for all the great unbiased reviews you provide. Awesome stuff.

Curious what you think of the modus 120x vs tx. I switched from dg x100 to 120x. Overall the performance has been good but particularly in mid to short irons when hitting knock down type shots they are fantastic. I don't have lm data to confirm it but my sense is they spin a bit more than dg's on these types of shots but still have enough tip stiffness to keep the flight down.

However with full swings on longer shots I can really feel the shaft kick and sometimes get kind of an odd high loopy flight. I guess I'm wondering if it's a profile thing or simply a flex issue.

Just wondering what your experience is. Thanks!

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394484003' post='8841907']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I like the SLDR better for a few reasons, but it's definitely NOT like the RBZ Tour. Both are amazing drivers.. and both bombers.
[/quote]

Can you expand a bit? I am trying to work myself into the SLDR, but I am just figuring out how to try to make it automatic like my RBZ.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='bidenn' timestamp='1394478574' post='8841177']
How do you like the ATX Green 75 & 105? Ive been looking at going with those, as well, for my SLDR 3 wood and hybrid. I also like the feel and performance of the Speeder 8.3 TS. How do you think they compare?
[/quote]

IMO, they are very different. The ATX Green shafts, even in TX flex, are very smooth. It took me a few swings to get the timing down because they load so differently. I didn't hit a lot of shots with them on the course, but the ones I did hit were pretty solid. I need to see a bit more, but I really like the way the 105TX loads compared to the boardy feel in the TS 9.8. Right now the Aldila setup would be what I would use if I played in a tourney. I also got the 661/757 for the SLDR that I have not hit yet.

[quote name='frybot' timestamp='1394495737' post='8843191']
Hey pure. Firstly, thanks for all the great unbiased reviews you provide. Awesome stuff.

Curious what you think of the modus 120x vs tx. I switched from dg x100 to 120x. Overall the performance has been good but particularly in mid to short irons when hitting knock down type shots they are fantastic. I don't have lm data to confirm it but my sense is they spin a bit more than dg's on these types of shots but still have enough tip stiffness to keep the flight down.

However with full swings on longer shots I can really feel the shaft kick and sometimes get kind of an odd high loopy flight. I guess I'm wondering if it's a profile thing or simply a flex issue.

[/quote]

What is your driver SS? I think you might need the 120TX not X. I have the TX in my long irons and the 130X in my 6 iron down, I like the launch and feel. You might also want to try the 130X just for kicks or the SPB if you really want to lower the spin and launch. It seems like the Modus line is becoming more and more popular on tour.

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1394496482' post='8843283']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394484003' post='8841907']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can you expand a bit? I am trying to work myself into the SLDR, but I am just figuring out how to try to make it automatic like my RBZ.
[/quote]

Let's see.. first would be the SLDR look and sound, for my taste, is much better. The RBZT was almost deafening at impact. Both the 460 and 430 are lower launching and spinning than the RBZT and the forward CG really keep the spin way down. I don't see why wouldn't be able to make a properly fit SLDR outperform your RBZT, especially the 430 if you're looking for pure distance.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394502855' post='8844271']
[quote name='bidenn' timestamp='1394478574' post='8841177']
[/quote]

IMO, they are very different. The ATX Green shafts, even in TX flex, are very smooth. It took me a few swings to get the timing down because they load so differently. I didn't hit a lot of shots with them on the course, but the ones I did hit were pretty solid. I need to see a bit more, but I really like the way the 105TX loads compared to the boardy feel in the TS 9.8. Right now the Aldila setup would be what I would use if I played in a tourney. I also got the 661/757 for the SLDR that I have not hit yet.
[/quote]

My plan is to get to Golfsmith here soon to try the atx green so I can compare it to the 8.3 TS to see which one I like better. I was also looking at the 8A4 for a bit but I feel it might be a bit too boardy for me. I'm going with the 757 in the SLDR or Jetspeed, just have to compare the heads when I get the chance.

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1394547947' post='8846987']
Do you think the 430 SLDR is much longer than the 460?
[/quote]

I do. The range at my course has a semi uphill slope where longer drivers will land the ball and it's a good way to really see carry distances. Hitting them at the range, I definitely saw the 430 carry further, and on a trajectory that would certainly roll out further. Coming from the RBZT, I would try both to see which one suits your distance/forgiveness preferences.

I still want to get the both of them on the Trackman soon, the 460 is plenty long on the course, I'm also trying to find the most playable driver via this Shootout :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Pure why did you chose to drop your pw and use a 48? Thanks.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

[quote name='Deuce78' timestamp='1394556285' post='8848047']
[/quote]

Better distance control and better grind options to increase overall playability. More of a nice to have than a must have.. since the option is there, I use it.

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1394557119' post='8848167']
Hey Pure, did you sell your CT 2.0... How does it compare to the 460 SLDR?
[/quote]

No, I have the 2.0's waiting for the Shootout. I was really impressed with the 2.0, then I hurt my arm and had a tournament, wanted to use something familiar.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='frybot' timestamp='1394495737' post='8843191']

[/quote]

What is your driver SS? I think you might need the 120TX not X. I have the TX in my long irons and the 130X in my 6 iron down, I like the launch and feel. You might also want to try the 130X just for kicks or the SPB if you really want to lower the spin and launch. It seems like the Modus line is becoming more and more popular on tour.

Thanks for your reply. I'm around 115-117 with the driver. The modus line seems to be something of an enigma with people having really varied opinions.
I think I'll try the 120tx in a couple of spare irons I've got lying around. I live in japan and, strangely, the 130's were only released here in january and I don't think spb's are available here at all. With the number of rounds I play (about 12 a year, sigh)it'll probably take about a year to make a fair assessment. I do really like the feel of the nippons though and doubt I'll be going back to dg.
Also looking to update the driver this year so I'll follow the 2014 shootout with interest. Thanks again.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394560233' post='8848483']
[quote name='Deuce78' timestamp='1394556285' post='8848047']
[/quote]

Better distance control and better grind options to increase overall playability. More of a nice to have than a must have.. since the option is there, I use it.

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1394557119' post='8848167']
Hey Pure, did you sell your CT 2.0... How does it compare to the 460 SLDR?
[/quote]

No, I have the 2.0's waiting for the Shootout. I was really impressed with the 2.0, then I hurt my arm and had a tournament, wanted to use something familiar.
[/quote]

Good to hear! I've been tinkering with three shafts in my CT 2.0: blueboard, white tie, and the stock TiNi. I have an Axivcore Black also but need to install a tip first. The White Tie performs better then the TiNi for me. .. Nice high draws. But surprisingly, the Blueboard gave me more consistent distance and tighter dispersion then the White Tie. I need to continue tested both shafts and then have the winner battle the tour black for the bag! Have you thought of hot melting or cotton balling your CT 2.0? Thanks pure.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

So when's the big shootout going down? Can't wait to hear about it!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

I love and appreciate all the discussion on tipping. I have always been on the cusp of S and X. In the past tipping S an 1" has worked great for me. This year my SS is up around 110-115 and I'm wondering about the 661 and 757. Maybe you guys can help...

757 X untipped or 661 tipped 1.5-2"? Looking for lower launch and spin.

[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1394715059' post='8861751']
So when's the big shootout going down? Can't wait to hear about it!
[/quote]

Waiting for 2 more shafts to come in, then I will get it all on the Trackman, hopefully next week. Right now I have the SLDR 460 w/ Rogue in the bag, it's proving to be quite the combo. Have yet to try the Rogue with a 430, but that is next. Club builder is out of town for a week and I need him to build a few things.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1394719299' post='8862187']
I love and appreciate all the discussion on tipping. I have always been on the cusp of S and X. In the past tipping S an 1" has worked great for me. This year my SS is up around 110-115 and I'm wondering about the 661 and 757. Maybe you guys can help...

757 X untipped or 661 tipped 1.5-2"? Looking for lower launch and spin.
[/quote]

My SS is around 115+ and I have the 661 tipped 1.75" and it's pretty solid, if you really want it more stout, go with the 757. I have found the 661 to hold up just fine to my swing, but your experiences may vary.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394726979' post='8863121']
Waiting for 2 more shafts to come in, then I will get it all on the Trackman, hopefully next week. Right now I have the SLDR 460 w/ Rogue in the bag, it's proving to be quite the combo. Have yet to try the Rogue with a 430, but that is next. Club builder is out of town for a week and I need him to build a few things.
[/quote]

Tai, how does the Rogue stack up againt the other shafts you've tried in the SLDR 460? Glad to hear you're getting back to normal!

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Thanks for the info Tai. Wishing you a full recovery. I'm. 6 months out of surgery and while my golf game is almost all the way back, other things aren't. No basketball or tennis for me just yet. Thank god for golf.

Was it golfers or tennis elbow? More serious? My friend is battling golfers elbow even though he had never swing a club in his life. Doc says elbow injuries are common for athletes in the their 30's

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1394802685' post='8869371']
[/quote]

Tai, how does the Rogue stack up againt the other shafts you've tried in the SLDR 460? Glad to hear you're getting back to normal!
[/quote]

It's an interesting shaft. It feels incredible.. very smooth, and I like the way it feels better than the 661, it feels more stable but still is really smooth. I'm not sure if this is the right combo for max distance, but it is VERY straight with a high, low spin ball flight. Untipped, the shaft CPM was 270 at 45" in the 460 head, it might to be tipped a bit, and could be a good candidate for the 430 head or CT2.0.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1394803631' post='8869457']
Thanks for the info Tai. Wishing you a full recovery. I'm. 6 months out of surgery and while my golf game is almost all the way back, other things aren't. No basketball or tennis for me just yet. Thank god for golf.

Was it golfers or tennis elbow? More serious? My friend is battling golfers elbow even though he had never swing a club in his life. Doc says elbow injuries are common for athletes in the their 30's
[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm pretty much good to go now, aside from doing the stretches I learned in PT. I thought it was just some sort of tennis elbow, but I got diagnosed with some sort of shoulder issue (I will have to go find the acronym) and then the PT said it was actually an injury that was not caused over time like the original diagnosis was. Needless to say it was a severely strained tendon that runs from your tricep along your forearm and it took almost 4 weeks of PT w/o touching a club to get better :vava: My club has a TPI certified gym, I was really thinking of taking some TPI classes to increase my flexibility.. I'm about as flexible as an oak tree.. :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1394808336' post='8869975']
[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1394802685' post='8869371']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's an interesting shaft. It feels incredible.. very smooth, and I like the way it feels better than the 661, it feels more stable but still is really smooth. I'm not sure if this is the right combo for max distance, but it is VERY straight with a high, low spin ball flight. Untipped, the shaft CPM was 270 at 45" in the 460 head, it might to be tipped a bit, and could be a good candidate for the 430 head or CT2.0.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1394803631' post='8869457']

[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm pretty much good to go now, aside from doing the stretches I learned in PT. I thought it was just some sort of tennis elbow, but I got diagnosed with some sort of shoulder issue (I will have to go find the acronym) and then the PT said it was actually an injury that was not caused over time like the original diagnosis was. Needless to say it was a severely strained tendon that runs from your tricep along your forearm and it took almost 4 weeks of PT w/o touching a club to get better :vava: My club has a TPI certified gym, I was really thinking of taking some TPI classes to increase my flexibility.. I'm about as flexible as an oak tree.. :)
[/quote]
You're built like the lower portion of an Oak tree.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

I would take any one of your bags, everyone is set up so perfectly and balanced. Very well thought out. I really don't sell any equipment after seeing your posts as there is always a time and a place for everything.......would love to see a pic of all you putters, and thoughts?

*great review as always. Have to agree 430 SLDR is one of TMAG's best offerings in a minute...NPI:) It truly is a great driver, love looking down at it, as it reminds me of D3 (other driver I think is on top), but anyhow my 430 was built with ahina, and combination is perfect for me. Not a punishing driver, but very rewarding and have found it to be everything TM claims. Can't say much for 460, as I never put any time into it, I'm not into big head drivers. I know people say they aren't much bigger, but even the shape makes appearance much smaller. Just set a 430 SLDR next to a r11s v1, look totally different.

Thanks for your time Tai

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1